PDA

View Full Version : Hereford and Worcester 6/7 Dec

hokers
-25th November 2003, 14:14
Anyone going to this who hasnt entered yet needs to get their entry in well quick, as any entries received after the 29th (Saturday) are at double the entry fee.

Entry Form (http://www.btinternet.com/~fencing/fe031206open.html)

Hopefully my car will make it this year, after twice breaking down on the way last year!

hokers

Gav
-25th November 2003, 14:21
I've already entered. 1st time there. I've been trying to get to it for the last couple of years but each time something stopped me from making it - last year was a torn muscle in my back.

Marcos
-25th November 2003, 14:36
if you don;t get the entry form in on time, grab a flight to Dublin and enter the Irish Open!
http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=913

srb
-2nd December 2003, 16:14
I'm fencing in the MF, and then I'm taking a break for 6 weeks while I'm supposed to be studying for an exam on the 9th of Jan.

srb

Dave Hillier
-2nd December 2003, 16:26
srb

You couldn't get in touch with the cranfield fencers for the BUSAs then?

Exgeordielass
-2nd December 2003, 18:18
Originally posted by hokers
Anyone going to this who hasnt entered yet needs to get their entry in well quick, as any entries received after the 29th (Saturday) are at double the entry fee.

Entry Form (http://www.btinternet.com/~fencing/fe031206open.html)

Hopefully my car will make it this year, after twice breaking down on the way last year!

hokers

Good luck, Hokers, sorry we will be otherwise engaged with the South-East Sabre Qualifiers for the Nationals. Hope your car makes it and you have a good day. :)

kingkenny
-3rd December 2003, 09:00
I will be there with my camera so everybody try and look your best. :grin: :cool:
oh and please fence quickly on Sunday as I want to get home before midnight.

srb
-3rd December 2003, 09:54
Originally posted by Dave Hillier
srb

You couldn't get in touch with the cranfield fencers for the BUSAs then?

Dave,

I realised that I couldn't do BUSA, H&W and stay married all in the same weekend.

Also I have to sadly admit that I have become locked into the ranking points thing like everybody else, and as I haven't got 6 proper results yet the H&W won the toss.

srb (nearly a NIFF - so ChubbyHubby tells me)

srb
-3rd December 2003, 09:56
Originally posted by Kingkenny
I will be there with my camera so everybody try and look your best. :grin: :cool:
oh and please fence quickly on Sunday as I want to get home before midnight.

Fence, and look beautiful - now thats just taking multi-tasking to the extreme.

srb

Boo Boo
-3rd December 2003, 10:14
Originally posted by srb
Fence, and look beautiful - now thats just taking multi-tasking to the extreme.

You can do it, srb! :grin:

Boo
(In trouble for making ChubbyHubby do house things this weekend - we complete on new house this Friday - AND going to my parents' "Christmas Cheese and Wine": bad wife, bad wife, bad wife...)

ChubbyHubby
-3rd December 2003, 10:51
isn't the foil on the Sunday....? :transport

(it will make me feel better about the barclaycard bill...) :grin:

Boo Boo
-3rd December 2003, 10:54
No, actually having curtains will make you feel better about the barclaycard bill (since - if I didn't use it to pay for them - you would be living life as an exhibitionist....)

Lots to do this weekend...

Boo
(aka "The Evil Wife")

Prometheus
-3rd December 2003, 11:17
Aha, SRB......I'll see you there!

Prometheus (sound of knuckles cracking)

srb
-3rd December 2003, 11:56
You bring the pipe, I'll bring the slippers.

srb

Prometheus
-3rd December 2003, 12:01
Bring a chair too.....you'll be watching most of the comp.....Hah!

pinkelephant
-3rd December 2003, 12:29
Originally posted by Boo Boo

AND going to my parents' "Christmas Cheese and Wine": bad wife, bad wife, bad wife...)

Sounds like something out of Bridget Jones' Diary.:sam:

Boo Boo
-3rd December 2003, 12:58
Maybe, but I definitely wont be wearing a bunny girl outfit! :o

Boo
(you have to keep your parents happy...)

doobarz
-3rd December 2003, 15:04
Maybe, but I definitely wont be wearing a bunny girl outfit! :o

Boo
(you have to keep your parents happy...)

And what about keeping Chubby happy? I can see you regreting that comment....

Boo Boo
-3rd December 2003, 15:09
Private shows, for ChubbyHubby, in bunny girl suit could be arranged.

Don't think the rest of the world (in particular my parents' friends) would appreciate it very much... :)

Boo

doobarz
-3rd December 2003, 15:18
Private shows, for ChubbyHubby, in bunny girl suit could be arranged.

Looks like you've pulled Chubby.....

Boo Boo
-3rd December 2003, 15:19
That's not news (poor soul that is ChubbyHubby was pulled a long time ago...)

NoT V gOOd!
-3rd December 2003, 21:18
Ok i doin Men's Foil. But when it startin and on what day? Cos last year i got L8. Need 2 try and get some more points as my Cadet season gone shit cos i fuked up my knee in L32 of U17 Nationals. Shame was gonna come in final there 2. Can sum1 pls tell me the details. e.g. Time of check in and day..

Boo Boo
-3rd December 2003, 22:34
http://www.btinternet.com/~fencing/fe031206open.html

Chris Morgan
-6th December 2003, 19:36
So how did you all get on?

:shrug:

aao
-6th December 2003, 20:29
let us never speak of this competition again.........:(

twohappyhippos
-6th December 2003, 21:15
oki doki!!! thats fine by me. Well at least i went out at a respectful time!!!! unlike someone i know.......... hehehe. wehey ive gone up to 2!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

PM1
-7th December 2003, 18:55
Wish I'd been there now...some very interesting things happened, I gather, in the last 16. So I'm told.... AAO not a happy bunny - seen the print out for 9 to 154 - some v. strange placings, but hey, that's competition for you.

Willis won, Buist second

Apparently v well run again.....must try and go next year - it's the only comp where we get free accomodation :)

Esther - what do you mean "i've gone up to 2"??? or is the celebdag????:confused: (wish these things still moved - why don't they, Gav/KK??)

Muso440
-7th December 2003, 19:05
Originally posted by PM1
Esther - what do you mean "i've gone up to 2"???

Typo with a shift key? 32? (3 and being on the same key)

(wish these things still moved - why don't they, Gav/KK??)

I can't actually see *any* images on this page tonight, I just get the little box with the text in instead. Including the banners, 'reply' / 'quote' buttons etc etc.

Maybe it's me. But it's not happenign with other web sites. :(

PM1
-7th December 2003, 19:12
you may well be right about the typo, if that's where she finished, because she's MUCH higher than that in the cadet/junior rankings.

I think there are a few viruses around at the moment - variable reception of the forum and its pretty bits - I'm no techy, so why do the piccys not move on my home computer, but did when I illegally accessed at my office ?? I know, off topic.........

Rdb811
-7th December 2003, 20:09
I think 1 (or some cuppa soup) is the going rate for a blonde epeeist.

srb
-7th December 2003, 20:13
For any of you Bristol fencers out there, if you see Isaac, tell him that he left his lame and his jacket behind.

I picked them up, but I am away next week.

And the results were (what I can remember)

MF

1. Sam Stockley
2. Mike Questier
3= Leon Shah
3= John Lockwood
5. Phil Wright
6. Steve Bungay
7. Lindsey Watkiss
8. ?

MS

1. Tigger
Hokers L8, I think

WF

1. Debbie Kershaw

srb

hokers
-7th December 2003, 20:25
Just got back, bloody M40 traffic.
Had another good day really, made L8 (probably 8th) but couldnt quite make the L4. NIF must have been reasonable as well, 11 of the current top 50 were there that I recognised.

Bit of a big delay between DE rounds unfortunately. Some seemed to be a long way ahead of others. Tigger had made the final when I left, against a french(?) guy I didnt know.

Going to ache tomorrow though, I can feel it already :(

hokers

aao
-7th December 2003, 21:53
esther's value went up with the acquisiation of a new hat......
as for the comp one of the L16 fights was very interesting, and yes aao was very very unhappy indeed (but has no one to blame but himself and the f*@**(% 3hr wait between the poule and the 128!)

PM1
-7th December 2003, 21:57
Blimey !! didn't know it had taken THAT long !!! but then, there had been an incomplete 256 first, hadn't there?? And all done on 8 pistes, or was that just the last 64.....have to check my sources........I gather there were 22 pistes or so for the poules, but then the ladies arrived, bless !!

so was the HAT worth 2 ???

Exgeordielass
-7th December 2003, 22:13
Originally posted by hokers
Just got back, bloody M40 traffic.
Had another good day really, made L8 (probably 8th) but couldnt quite make the L4. NIF must have been reasonable as well, 11 of the current top 50 were there that I recognised.

Bit of a big delay between DE rounds unfortunately. Some seemed to be a long way ahead of others. Tigger had made the final when I left, against a french(?) guy I didnt know.

Going to ache tomorrow though, I can feel it already :(

hokers

Well Done from Guildford, Hokers :)

By the way, son was first in the south-east sabre U16 so was worth staying at home. :tongue:

Boo Boo
-7th December 2003, 22:34
Well done srb, Tigger, 007, 2HH, Hokers... and everyone else :)

(sorry your day didn't go better aao :( ).

Sort of expected Debbie to win the WF. Any idea of who else was there for WF?

Boo

aao
-7th December 2003, 22:37
Originally posted by PM1
Blimey !! didn't know it had taken THAT long !!! but then, there had been an incomplete 256 first, hadn't there?? And all done on 8 pistes, or was that just the last 64.....have to check my sources........I gather there were 22 pistes or so for the poules, but then the ladies arrived, bless !!

the 256 didn't delay things that long (sarted around 45mins to an hour after the poues so nothing unusual there) but the 128 was run on 8 pistes (8 fights per piste) which took a very very long time if you were the last or second to last fight on! (for example your son knocked out his first opponent about an hour before I got to 'fence' in the same round!)
nowhere to warm up either as the girls (bless em) had taken over all other available pistes.
Not having a go atJohn H here as everybody was in the same boat and I should have never let myself be affected by it, but if the competition is going to continue to be this size then it either has to move to a bigger venue or reorganise the times at which the rounds are run.

so was the HAT worth 2 ??? no but it increased Ethers overall value from 1.20 to 2, which is waay above the normal going rate for a girly epeeist!

Saxon
-7th December 2003, 23:32
First of all, mucho thanks to all of you who turned up and enjoyed it/put up with it/etc etc.

This ain't "official" as far as answers go, but it may be as official as you get, bearing in mind that I don't think John Haynes is on the forum.

Particular thanks to the ones who, when you came to control, stood politely and quietly while we ignored you, entered the score sheet we were looking at, and then answered your queries as quickly and efficiently as possible. And that was the vast majority of you. It makes the whole experience better from our point of view, and if we're enjoying it, we hope that it also makes it easier for you to enjoy it too :)

The delay in the mens' epee was as you've worked out, caused by running the 128 on eight pistes, but as by this point we also had ten pistes of womens' epee poules, and sabre soon to start, we were kind of stuck. Unfortunately means that some poor guys had to wait through eight fights before theirs came up.

We try to work it so that as early on as possible, the DEs go to a piste on which the fencers will stay until the last four or eight. Where possible, we get the fencers to bring individual completed sheets to control, and then we take out fights as they become available. Keeps you busy (one you're past 128 it seems!), also lets us keep a close eye on the progress of the DE, so we can quickly locate a match or a piste which is holding up the rest of the competition.

It seemed to work for most of the comps, with the exception of mens' sabre. They had a couple of L128s, and because they had their section of the tableau on the piste board, they started running with that before we managed to roll out a full set of L64 match sheets.

We fully understand that you don't like to be kept waiting - I'm a sabreur (well, that's the nearest I am to being anything), and we're used to being put to one side, sort of ignored and left to get on with it - often fencing our final while everyone's elsewhere watching the epee L16 fights... I'm sure we'll see what can be done about this next year.

Boo - full results will be on the H&W site asap I'm sure, but the WF went

1 Debbie Kershaw
2 Elaine Hughes
3=Louisa Miller
3=Lydia Johnson
5 Jo Bowyer
6 Claire Galloway
7 Amy Hudson
8 Christiane Elsenbach

Hope this helps,

Thanks again.
Saxon

And now...
:sleep:

PM1
-7th December 2003, 23:35
It was rather a long time between telephone despatches from the front, I have to admit. I was beginning to wonder if things had gone so badly that they dare not ring.......like he'd been black carded, or something (!!)

You're not the first person I've heard saying the event has seemingly outgrown the facilities, and when i received the last despatch about 5.30, the ME had still not finished, I believe. A looooong day. If the event is going to run with so many entries - and I doubt many would want to restrict the numbers more unless there was a pressing need to - I guess running 128 on 16 pistes might be an answer. I can see why it runs on 8 to the L8, but the wait between rounds is very long for some. But who am I to say..................:rolleyes: Got my first event to organise next year, heaven help me (and Tubby??):grin: :grin:

PM1
-7th December 2003, 23:40
Ooops !! almost simultaneous posting......

Saxon - thanks for you lot providing a print out of 9 - 154 to my old man for our use here and passing on to others - MUCH appreciated. Hope I can keep my cool with our small youngster comp next year.........and hope the printer keeps working too........

Well done !!

And well done Tigger !!!!! ANd Son of Exgeordielass.....keep it coming.....

pinkelephant
-8th December 2003, 10:05
Did the foil and remembered why I don't do foil any more - some horrible girl made me run around. Did better at foil than epee - oops (but probably more a function of the relative NIF counts than anything else. Finally met Gav!! Nice competition run by nice people. And the ice cream factory afterwards ..................

Boo Boo
-8th December 2003, 10:13
Thanks for the results posting fir WF, Saxon :)

Don't Women Epeeists run around much, PinkElephant? Think that you are brave doing two weapons (would confuse the life out of me!). The NIF for WF is normally pretty low at H&W (looks like one in the top 10 and one or two in the top 20, plus some in the top 50).

Boo
(in the process of moving house, so couldn't go...)

Gav
-8th December 2003, 11:05
It was nice to finally meet PinkElephant.

First time down at H&W and I enjoyed it apart from the hanging around. I had an odd day - 'on' one minute then 'off' the next. WE DE 1st round took ages! I couldn't believe how long it took. By contrast my 128 came up relatively quickly then I had a long long wait to the 64.

kitten
-8th December 2003, 11:34
Well done Hokers! L8 is well impressive - sorry bout the trip home, helllooooooooo to everyone at Guildford :>

Sounds like the H&W was eventful to say the least, who won the girly epee btw?

Why has Esther got a hat? <confused>

xox

PS well done kitkat

pinkelephant
-8th December 2003, 11:49
Rhiannon won the WE, beating Mary in the final. (Mary had a hat. What IS this hat stuff?)

kitten
-8th December 2003, 13:19
I feel like I need a hat now.. preferably a pink felt one with a bobble.

xox
kitten
<suffering from hat envy>

aao
-8th December 2003, 13:27
ah so the the hat was transferred!

Neil Brown
-8th December 2003, 13:39
Full results are up at http://www.btinternet.com/~fencing/f0312res.html

Gav
-8th December 2003, 13:48
Originally posted by Neil Brown
Full results are up at http://www.btinternet.com/~fencing/f0312res.html

These appear to be last years...

Boo Boo
-8th December 2003, 13:52
Ok, so what happened to number 12 in ME? (no details against it)

Boo

Neil Brown
-8th December 2003, 13:52
Only the ME results are last year's.

Boo Boo
-8th December 2003, 13:54
Ah ok, would explain it (Black Card given out last year - pressumably to no 12....)

Boo

Gav
-8th December 2003, 14:07
There was a black card this year as well!

One of the ref's ordered a spectator out of the hall when he refused to get out of his way.

Neil - Damn! Those were the results I was most interested in.

Boo Boo
-8th December 2003, 14:09
Originally posted by Gav
One of the ref's ordered a spectator out of the hall when he refused to get out of his way.

What on earth was that spectator doing...?

Boo

Gav
-8th December 2003, 14:12
I didn't see it but apparently he was reading a book at the edge of a piste and the ref asked him [politely] to move. The spectator said that he would read his book wherever he wanted and refused to move. Apparently there was an exchange of colourful language so the ref showed the black.

Don't know anymore than that.

Boo Boo
-8th December 2003, 14:13
Originally posted by Gav
I didn't see it but apparently he was reading a book at the edge of a piste and the ref asked him [politely] to move. The spectator said that he would read his book wherever he wanted and refused to move.

Maybe he mistook the hall for a public library - how very odd...

kingkenny
-8th December 2003, 14:29
Why did no one say hi to me. Grrrrrrrrrrr

(Sbr excluded)

And why did Graham get a bottle of wine when the Thorntons and I did all the work while Graham slept on the stand. (No he was not blinking Barry.)

Not a very happy KK. :(

Gav
-8th December 2003, 14:41
KK I wasn't sure if it was you - really sorry. You looked really busy so didn't want to disturb you too much.

pinkelephant
-8th December 2003, 14:42
I said hi to you several times AND stood around waiting for Jamie to finish helping you AND put half (well some) boxes away AND asked Graham how his hip was AND got you all coffee/7up/manky Diet Pepsi.............

And thanks for sorting out the nut problem on a certain epee. Maternal interference will cease henceforth.

Boo Boo
-8th December 2003, 14:44
Hello KK! :mexwave:

Boo
(wasn't at H&W, so couldn't have said hello there...)

Robert
-8th December 2003, 14:57
Originally posted by Neil Brown
Only the ME results are last year's.

The mistake is in the href link. Go to the results page, look at the address at the top and replace the 02 with a 03 and you will be on the right page.

Robert

kingkenny
-8th December 2003, 15:26
Hello everybody.
:mexwave:

twohappyhippos
-8th December 2003, 15:58
well it was actually Ellis's 'photographing' hat! and i meant the price of a blonde epeeist went up :) (but i think it was the hat that did it!)
mmm i wasnt too sure i liked the 4 hour wait in between my poule and my 64 fight then the 1 hour and a half wait for my 32 fight! and there were pistes free and everything. why couldnt we have used them?!
but its all cool, redeemed myself on the sun at the BB+o foil rally managing to win with Tom B and my bro! :):):):)
congrats to everyone

srb
-8th December 2003, 16:48
I think a big thank you should go to some of the unmentioned presidents.

First of all to John Warwicker as he ended up presiding loads of fights in both his poule and in the DE rounds, and on top of that he had to put up with srb's 'enthusiastic questioning' of his decisions. Also I thought both Mat Haynes and John Lockwood were on great form.

srb

crt
-8th December 2003, 17:16
Thank you to the organisers for letting me fence at all! Turning up 30 min late due to hopeless map reading skills and M42 having moved to right where it shouldn't have been. Then kindly avoided protracted argument on whether my kit was all legal by just lending me a plastron and letting me get on with it.

Where the hell did 154 mens epeeists come from? This was much bigger entry that I was expecting, but nice to see so many wanting to compete. Remember time when 40 or 50 was a good turn out to this type of competition. Enjoyable day in the end, as it should be.

One thing that I did notice was a coach/parent taking flash photography during ME DE fights. Was on next door piste to me, but a bit off putting at times. Seemed to be taking photos of a particular fencer attacking whilst stood behind said fencer i.e. right in opponents field of vision. Are there any rules/guidelines on this?

Will be going again next year.
(Now that I know the way!)

PM1
-8th December 2003, 18:30
OK folks - what was ME NIF????

whatsUp
-8th December 2003, 18:56
Good and bad ME comp ( for me).

I couldn't hit the proverbial barn door and lost all poule fights. Son did better winning 3/6.

Scraped into 128 after finding range in 256 fight then went out.

Son made good fist of DE losing 15-11.

He ended up 38 places above me. Not pleasant but thankfully very short journey home

Chris Morgan
-8th December 2003, 21:15
Had a decent day, won 4/6 of my poule fights to get a healthy seed of 68, then won my 128 (after a long wait) before finally losing to the number 4 seed 15/10 which i didnt mind as i fought well anyway

crt wasent i fighting you when that flash was being taken? it was quite off putting at times, even if its being taken behind you

:vader: :father: :luke: :yoda:

(ignore these im just trying them out!)

3 Card Trick
-8th December 2003, 21:31
ME NIF 72

PM1
-8th December 2003, 23:00
Ta, 3ct.

Cadet rankings are up, folks

sparkymark567
-12th December 2003, 12:39
Originally posted by srb

Also I thought both Mat Haynes and John Lockwood were on great form.

srb

Evidently so.
and srb wasn't too bad either. Leaving sparkymark with a bit of a grudge. Looking forward to the next time.

srb
-12th December 2003, 19:11
12th of Jan - I'm not fencing again until then.

srb

pinkelephant
-13th December 2003, 14:36
So Matt Haynes made the last 16 of the MF. Must have made a remarkable recovery from his hip injury of the day before.

haggis
-14th December 2003, 04:29
Originally posted by pinkelephant
So Matt Haynes made the last 16 of the MF.

There is truly hope for us all.

Prometheus
-15th December 2003, 12:14
Originally posted by srb
I think a big thank you should go to some of the unmentioned presidents.

First of all to John Warwicker as he ended up presiding loads of fights in both his poule and in the DE rounds, and on top of that he had to put up with srb's 'enthusiastic questioning' of his decisions.

Surely in his case unmentionable president?:tongue:

MatFink
-17th December 2003, 13:57
Matt Haynes was very fortunate, the injury was more pain and less damage and Chris Moorhouse ( the miracle worker ) fixed me at least short term. I did however have bruising on hip and knee as a result of jarring.

Also please note that until I ran into Mike (argh stop doing that) Questier I never moved out of 1st gear. Only lunged properly twice all day, both times against mike.

While on topic I was very impressed by thornton juniors progress, he is a far better fencer than a year ago and I wish him every success atleast until the next time we meet.

Also elephant it may be worth noting the original comment on me was regarding refereeing.

Last thought Haggis my old pal. Three years ago I came 3rd how scary is that. But I remember a Scottish Open around the same time when you waved the silly stick around in pursuit of cash (well vouchrs) with great success I recall

Best wishes for crimbo all

Matt

rory
-17th December 2003, 15:27
I think the last time Haggis did well at foil competitively was rather more than 3 years ago... I'm thinking Scottish Open circa '97 (vs.Don McKenzie in the final).

Or am I mistaken?

Since then he's sunk low enough that even I can beat him :-)

(imagining my next lesson from Haggis... ouch! ouch! ouch!)

MatFink
-17th December 2003, 16:03
It must have been, scary to think how long we have all been at this lark. Only goes to show, great epeeists don't die they just start abusing foilists!!

Whenever the competition I certainly remember watch a lot of young foilists getting minced by that terrible octave parry.

Lots of reprises in Rory's lesson for no particular reason???