PDA

View Full Version : England Cup Women's Sabre

Cuppa
-26th December 2008, 21:42
This is the quick link on the BF website for British entries for the England Cup.

http://www.britishfencing.com/Attachments/1923_England%20Cup%2009.doc

And this is the list of current confirmations:

http://www.bethspeedy.com/englandcup09WSentries%20confirmed.htm

Cheers
Beth

Cuppa
-16th January 2009, 18:42
The deadline for this is the 19th January for British entries. If you have not already done and want to enter, please email me asap.

Regards
Beth

fa266
-20th January 2009, 11:27
Are the poules going to be published in advance of Saturday 31st?

Gangsta G
-31st January 2009, 15:12
Any results from day 1?

fa266
-31st January 2009, 17:11
OK, off the top of my head, Jo is through to tomorrow on ranking and didn't need to fence today. Chrystall and Kira won 5 poule fights and went straight through to the 64. Katie H and Grace O'C won 3 poule fights but I don't know whether they made it through to the 64. I won 2 poule fights and went out to Danion 15-12. I suspect all other Brits are out but I am very sorry if this is incorrect.

On the whole I think the British girls did a lot better than last year. Yes, it was easier this time round but I didn't perceive the gap between "us" and "the rest of them" to be quite so great as it has been in recent years. Hopefully the results tomorrow will show this!

fa266
-31st January 2009, 18:43
And Jess (L), I forgot Jess :-(

Think it was Jess v Grace for a 64

Gangsta G
-31st January 2009, 19:55
Grace O'Connell into the L64 along with JoJo, Chrystall and Kira according to text messages.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Red
-31st January 2009, 22:28
OK, off the top of my head, Jo is through to tomorrow on ranking and didn't need to fence today. Chrystall and Kira won 5 poule fights and went straight through to the 64. Katie H and Grace O'C won 3 poule fights but I don't know whether they made it through to the 64. I won 2 poule fights and went out to Danion 15-12. I suspect all other Brits are out but I am very sorry if this is incorrect.

On the whole I think the British girls did a lot better than last year. Yes, it was easier this time round but I didn't perceive the gap between "us" and "the rest of them" to be quite so great as it has been in recent years. Hopefully the results tomorrow will show this!

Because I'm picky....

Kira promoted straight from poules, Chrystall had a bye through the preliminary DE.

stephenda
-1st February 2009, 14:40
Any news?

Jan O'C
-1st February 2009, 15:29
Grace and Kira out in 64 (Grace 15-11 to no 5 seed), Kira 15-14 to German girl. Chrystall out in 32 to Zagunis and JoJo out in 16 to Zagunis. Left before final so don't know who won.

MS from Athens - Alex got a L16 (lost to Lapkes), Neil got a L64 (lost to Montana), Chris lost in L128 yesterday, all others out yesterday too.

AussieMongrel
-1st February 2009, 16:36
http://www.fie.ch/Competitions/ResultsList.aspx?Key=B9E4580CF4D70A0074CF85751B725 DA

Gangsta G
-1st February 2009, 17:10
Well done to JoJo and Alex. Another two good results. (Alex beat Ochiuzzi in the last 32 which is very impressive!)

fa266
-1st February 2009, 17:42
Yup, great to see Jojo up there :) sounds like the others only just missed out too.

Red
-1st February 2009, 19:53
Seems Neil's the first sabreur to be saved by the new ranking scheme - 61/100

Well done Alex and Jojo

monobrow
-1st February 2009, 21:05
Seems Neil's the first sabreur to be saved by the new ranking scheme - 61/100

Well done Alex and Jojo

was about to mention that myself. lol

Jan O'C
-2nd February 2009, 11:40
Personally I think all L64s should gain ranking points PROVIDED there has been a L128 round (so either you've won a de or had a bye to get a 64).

The new system as it stands is ridiculous - it seems that you can be 64 out of 100 and gain points or 33 out of 99 and get no points. How can that possibly be reasonable and whoever thought up such a daft idea? Well done to Neil but I feel Chris B was very hard done by in Istanbul.

Gangsta G
-2nd February 2009, 11:47
Here's an idea - if you qualify for World Cup points, you qualify for British Ranking points...

JulianRose
-2nd February 2009, 12:14
but isn't that just far too sensible!

Red
-2nd February 2009, 12:37
Personally I think all L64s should gain ranking points PROVIDED there has been a L128 round (so either you've won a de or had a bye to get a 64).

The new system as it stands is ridiculous - it seems that you can be 64 out of 100 and gain points or 33 out of 99 and get no points. How can that possibly be reasonable and whoever thought up such a daft idea? Well done to Neil but I feel Chris B was very hard done by in Istanbul.

It does seem a little arbitrary, but then any scheme will at some point.

Jan O'C
-2nd February 2009, 12:49
Here's an idea - if you qualify for World Cup points, you qualify for British Ranking points...

I'm not 100% sure about the rules for World Cup Points (but I'm some of you can advise) - I know many think they are not fair because you get the same no of points regardless of the nif which is not sensible. However, presumably for British Ranking Points the nif would take care of the difference ie if you qualify for WC points then you qualify for British Ranking points but you'd get less if the nif was lower. Now that seems like a sensible idea. But I'm still intrigued as to who thought up the current plan and why.

wix
-2nd February 2009, 13:17
Originally Posted by Gangsta G

Now that's an elegant solution.

UglyBug
-2nd February 2009, 13:56
why not 75% like domestics?

JulianRose
-2nd February 2009, 14:16
because then you end up in the situation i was in at the last ever corble of coming 63 and being one of only two people not to get domestic points. stew watson was the other for those interested.

sanssouci
-2nd February 2009, 15:33
http://www.fie.ch/Competitions/ResultsList.aspx?Key=B9E4580CF4D70A0074CF85751B725 DA

Some video clips here:

Hutchison - Zagunis: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-X_dTi0WsU4

Peto - Zagunis: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwS52DpiYI&feature=channel

Peto - Bischoff: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PANCX2ezEOU&feature=channel

Mr long sword
-3rd February 2009, 08:46
The last hit of the Zagunis semi final I gave to Zagunis but it was called the other way. After seeing the video it was so clear. I like the way Zagunis remained composed even though it was her hit..

JulianRose
-3rd February 2009, 08:57
is this video that you have?

Mr long sword
-3rd February 2009, 10:02
Someone posted it on 'Facebook'

fa266
-3rd February 2009, 22:08
I don't know if I agree with you about the Zagunis last hit Long Sword although it may be due to the quality/angle of the clip I have seen. Looks like she'd been trying that tactic a lot all day with varying success.

DSSabre
-4th February 2009, 08:58
I hate to get involved but i also felt that that was Zagunis' hit. However as fa266 pointed out she had been trying it all day and very few referees were giving it to her. Think it maybe slightly different in Orleans next weekend. I think you'll find that type of hit give a lot more.

DS

Mr long sword
-4th February 2009, 11:13
Great minds Mr Sabre..!
Sorry FA266..

fa266
-4th February 2009, 11:20
I hate to get involved but i also felt that that was Zagunis' hit. However as fa266 pointed out she had been trying it all day and very few referees were giving it to her. Think it maybe slightly different in Orleans next weekend. I think you'll find that type of hit give a lot more.

DS

Dave - is the reason video replay? i.e. much easier to tell if her footwork draws extra prep (and therefore attack non-correct) from her opponents?

Mr long sword
-4th February 2009, 12:27
The hit in question is clear. The opponent prepares and then with her next lets say second preparation step she stops and then attacks. As the second step stops Zagunis hits her. So its attack non correct, attack touche to Zagunis, simple and should have been an easy call.
She is trying to make her opponents hesitate and then take advantage of it.

The reason she will get given those hits is not video replay its just good refereeing.

Red
-4th February 2009, 12:46
Athens NIF = 940
London NIF = 620

fa266
-4th February 2009, 13:05
Longsword, I was only offering an opinion

Mr long sword
-4th February 2009, 13:21
Sorry.
I had thought you were asking a question.

Anywayz I'll see thee later.

slipper
-6th February 2009, 18:49
It's all very well to criticise a referee with hindsight and video footage, but much much harder at the actual time. Referees in this country face a ridiculously high level of abuse.

Having viewed the said video the footage is of a dreadful quality.

Iím no referee, I really donít know whos hit it was, Iím just interested in how people will criticise straight off.

DSSabre
-7th February 2009, 05:58
To clarify i was not criticising the referee. He called it the same each time so in his opinion whatever Mariel was after she was not getting. She should have learnt from this and fenced differently.

Also i agree the video footage is not great and i was more refering to the difference between refereeing with slow-mo replays and real time. In slow motion hits that in real timeappear one way round can look completely different. Any hesitation is also shown up on slow mo.

DS

Mr long sword
-7th February 2009, 21:44
In my original post I was only pointing out the composure that Zagunis maintained although the last hit was hers. I was not calling out the ref.