PDA

View Full Version : Lots of tournament help needed!

Aoife
-25th November 2003, 21:28
Okay-dokay. So, I've been looking at the Calender...

When next to an open it says "6W" what does it mean? 6 weapon?

"Redditch Cup Team Foil (Teams of 3, mixed)" - mixed gender? mixed weapons? both?

"British Schools Team Championships" How would a school enter this? (we'd have to get our BFA affiliation first, naturally). Does the school need to be a memberof some schools' fencing group or something? (very curious about this one as its contact details are about a 20 min drive from here :) )

"Winton Cup - Inter-Region Team Event " Do we have to have a team who win stuff and get invited to go to this? Can I come along and watch anyway (it's on my birthday!!!)

Is there going to be a Duel on the Beach this year?

Thank you all so very much in advance!

PM1
-25th November 2003, 21:44
Right -
1) 6 W means both mens and ladies foil, epee and sabre, i.e., 6 comps in all,
2)Redditch cup team foil(mixed) is in the name - FOIL, but male and female can be in the same team
3)British school team champs - teams from yer school - age groups usually apply, and you can usually only fence one age group up.
NB - each INDIVIDUAL has to be a member of BFA, nothing to do with the school club being affiliated.
4)Cadet Winton - teams selected by each region, <17's. SO, Aoife dear, if you want to stand a chance of being in THIS one, you have to do the relevant regional (see your thread on Nationals) BYC, and the chnces are the team will be chosen after that - Y'shires are.

OK ??

Aoife
-26th November 2003, 09:11
Thanks.

Hopefully I will be at the SE Regionals. At the moment my coach is finagleing money out of the school to cover BFA membership and entrance (though not travel, I have to make my own way there).

Anybody know about the Duel on the Beach thing???? Anyone at all??????

Sophie
-26th November 2003, 09:22
Tigger obviously not logged on this morning - He's the one to ask about the duel on the beach.

As for Cadet Winton, team for south east will be mostly picked by now but I'm sure they would welcome supporters (I think it is held at Milfield School in Somerset but not sure....?)

Peanut_UK
-26th November 2003, 10:32
Duel on the Beach is an invitational, I think. Possible that Epee's making it in next year. This year was just Foil and Sabre in mixed teams.

Although don't take my word for it - tigger's the man to talk to (as Sophie said).

But even if you're not competing, it's an ace weekend away!

gladiator
-26th November 2003, 11:34
Originally posted by Sophie
As for Cadet Winton, team for south east will be mostly picked by now but I'm sure they would welcome supporters (I think it is held at Milfield School in Somerset but not sure....?)

The cadet winton cup is indeed in millfield in 20 & 21st december. As this is only 3 1/2 weeks away I would hope that they have already chosen the team.

Incidentally this is different form the 'Winton Cup - Inter-Region Team Event ' as Aoife mentioned. It is the same type of competition but for (mainly) adults instead of just under 17s.

Rdb811
-26th November 2003, 17:35
Originally posted by PM1

4)Cadet Winton - teams selected by each region, <17's. SO, Aoife dear, if you want to stand a chance of being in THIS one, you have to do the relevant regional (see your thread on Nationals) BYC, and the chnces are the team will be chosen after that - Y'shires are.

The SE team will have been selected a long time ago.

Aoife
-26th November 2003, 17:48
Ta.

Anything called an 'open' means anyone can enter right?

PM1
-26th November 2003, 19:35
ooops, sorry about the Winton/Cadet Winton thing (guess what was on my mind at the time).

"Open" means anyone can enter SO LONG AS they are 13 years of age on 1st Jan of that season. For example - A is 13 on 30th November 2003, B is 13 on 13th January 2004 : A can fence in opens this season, B cannot. And that's even if B would have been 13 at the time of the open comp. The season being Sept to July.

Unless anyone tells me differently. We had this discussion a few years ago.........

Jon
-27th November 2003, 14:37
There WILL be a duel on the beach in the summer (There'd better be!!)I missed the last one because of work (I said I'd help set up but didn't make it! Wouldn't have been able to fight anyway as am not good enough, could only watch). I haven't seen tigger for a bit but I'll ask him when I see him (hopefully next week) If not I'll ask Richard Bonehill, it's a bit early for a positive yes or no as yet. As far as I know the invites haven't been sent (could be wrong). Got to make sure I've got the day off this time (I will help set up, honest Tigger! assuming I wake up in time). Maybe I'll see some of you there.
:wavesurf: :help:

Chris Morgan
-8th December 2003, 21:22
will there be epee at the next duel on the beach?

:rockon: :jam: :dj: :band: :jam: :rockon:

Boo Boo
-8th December 2003, 21:38
The South East regional women's foil team for the Winton Cup (17th and 18th of April) is normally very tough to get onto...

Still, am sure that you would be welcome to come up and watch (I assume that it is going to be held at Fenton Manor, Stoke-on-Trent, again - the same place that they will hold the BYCs this January).

Still, why not go to the Birmingham Open (on 10th of April) and compete, intead? Maybe a better use of your time.... :). If you are going to do the Invicta in March - and enjoy the competition - you might want to do Birmingham. Just a thought.... :)

Boo

Threestain
-16th March 2004, 12:44
Does anyone know who to contact for the SW team for the winton - am not sure if they want me this year (but hope so, or might have to fence for SE!).

Boo Boo
-16th March 2004, 13:04
Hi, will PM you about contacting the SW team.... somehow, though, I am SURE that you are a very highly appreciated and valued member of the team :)

Boo

Threestain
-16th March 2004, 13:15
Well maybe. Provided I'm not allowed into any sort of bar/pub for then things take a decidely tricky turn!

aao
-16th March 2004, 13:21
not to worry Tris, due to my latent crapness I shan't be at the Winton this year so you should be able to avoid some of the nastier drinking episodes! ;)

Boo Boo
-16th March 2004, 13:28
Originally posted by Threestain
Well maybe. Provided I'm not allowed into any sort of bar/pub for then things take a decidely tricky turn!

Ok, early dinner, early night and soft drinks only for Threestain... Maybe we need to find you a chaperone...

(oh, maybe that doesn't make doing the Winton sound too attractive...?)

Boo

Threestain
-16th March 2004, 13:52
its ok, will be bringing own chaperone, though doubt Kelly would appreciate the title! Besides, I don't like stoke!

Boo Boo
-16th March 2004, 13:58
its ok, will be bringing own chaperone, though doubt Kelly would appreciate the title! Besides, I don't like stoke!

Ah, but Kelly will also be working for the opposition (SE)...

Apparently the SW have (or are trying to) negotiate a DBB rate at a nice hotel near the venue (and Railway Station) - could be fairly civilised... Although guess you may both stay at the SE hotel instead.

Don't know who the rest of the SW team are.

Boo

Threestain
-16th March 2004, 14:31
true - she could be a spy...

am staying with her at the SE hotel (only because she is organised and so are they!)

Boo Boo
-16th March 2004, 14:36
am staying with her at the SE hotel (only because she is organised and so are they!)

What, suggesting the SW are disorganised!?! Hhmmm, you could be very right! :(

(the team who only managed to get two women epeeists - albeit extremely good ones - to fence for them last year....)

Boo

frazzled
-16th March 2004, 16:40
Who are the teams from the SE Region for the Cadet Winton?

Might be worth going along to watch if I know anyone in them!!

Boo Boo
-16th March 2004, 16:52
Cadet Winton is just before Xmas (normally the last weekend before Xmas) at Millfield School, near Glastonbury.

Senior Winton is, at least this year, the weekend after Easter - at the same venuie as the BYCs (in Stoke-on_Trent).

Boo

frazzled
-16th March 2004, 17:17
Thanks Boo

PM1
-16th March 2004, 17:26
...but you could still come up and see us !!! Boy is there as fourth string - I know, I know - and I may just pootle along to act as his chaperone as i've been told some sticky tales about boozing this w/e........hmmmmmm

frazzled
-16th March 2004, 17:38
might just do that Maggie.

Son does not have any competitions this weekend for a change!

You know how it is. Get so used to not being at home, that when you have a whole weekend free, the thought of catching up on the housework does not appeal too much.:upset:

PM1
-16th March 2004, 20:35
Singing from the same hymn sheet - as usual !!

Boy was a proper parcel last w/e - Satdi morning early off to Liverpool (so that's right to left, fully acrross GB) with his dad, then back part way and up a bit to York to meet me (pass the parcel), then off to Edinburgh with me on a swanky new Virgin train.

I thought i'd get this w/e in bed (metaphorically speaking), but it looks like I'll be on my own (!) as boy and other half will be in London, swanning around. Must be a comp somewhere I can go to and help out....isn't this w/e reserved for regionals (and wasn't Y'shires last w/e???).

And where are all the sabre refs when you need them???

pinkelephant
-17th March 2004, 12:49
Chaperone at Winton is a GOOD IDEA! Son got kidnapped by a taxi driver last year..............................

whizzkid1982
-18th March 2004, 09:09
Originally posted by aao
not to worry Tris, due to my latent crapness I shan't be at the Winton this year so you should be able to avoid some of the nastier drinking episodes! ;)

this is not good. any chance of you coming drinking anyway?? just stick to the true purpose of th weekend?!!!

hayleyjade
-19th March 2004, 17:35
PM1, dont spoil the boy's fun! lol! teehee!

aao
-19th March 2004, 20:54
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
this is not good. any chance of you coming drinking anyway?? just stick to the true purpose of th weekend?!!!

hmmmmm i don't know....its Stoke after all........maybe i should offer my services up as a sabreur to London to give me an excuse to come up! ;)

just have to wait and see .......