PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for the long shutdown!

wingnutLP
-14th January 2009, 16:01
The forum was somehow hacked and we have been trying to revert to a backup without losing posts.

The non forum parts of the forum are still broken but I am working on them.

Alex

PLS-F
-14th January 2009, 16:11
Great to see the Forum back!!

JohnnyW
-14th January 2009, 16:38
Didn't appreciate how much I check the forum until suddenly it wasn't available...

wingnutLP
-14th January 2009, 17:00
Didn't appreciate how much I check the forum until suddenly it wasn't available...

yes it's really quite scary isn't it. Thank God your boss doesn't know!:dont:

hokers
-14th January 2009, 17:24
Awesome - glad it's back - have had to waste time on other sites inbetween, not so good.

septic_belgian
-14th January 2009, 17:48
Hi Wingnut,

I just tried sending you an PM, but your inbox is full, could you PM your e-mail address or clear some space in your inbox please?

fencingmum
-14th January 2009, 19:19
Was the shutdown anything to do with a virus that tried to attack my computer the last time I tried to log in? My security set-up went bananas and I didn't try to log on again till now.

Gav
-14th January 2009, 20:32
I've had to do work.

That made me grumpy. Who should I take it out on?

JulianRose
-15th January 2009, 08:34
kingkenny!!! he'll even thank you for neg rep!!

wingnutLP
-15th January 2009, 13:16
Was the shutdown anything to do with a virus that tried to attack my computer the last time I tried to log in? My security set-up went bananas and I didn't try to log on again till now.

It's hard to tell to be honest...

The thing that was setting off some peoples virus scanners wasn't a virus as such it was a redirect link that had been injected into some of the pages in an i frame. The redirect address was very old and had been shut down long ago so it wasn't capable of doing harm to anything.

Anyway, we are all good noow and I am backing up more regurlaly!!

Alex

Gangsta G
-15th January 2009, 15:37
I have been having withdrawal symptoms.

cesh_fencing
-19th February 2009, 20:44
Tried to post and got
403 Error - Forbidden
You have recieved this message because the resource you have requested is not accessable by the webserver due to file permissions or other locking conditions. Please verify that you have access rights to the requested resource or that the Apache daemon has access rights to the requested resource before trying again.

Is the forum clear of its recent bugs and worms/virus problems

wingnutLP
-19th February 2009, 21:31
I am looking into it, is probably a server problem of some sort if it is throwing 403 errors. Unfortunately I can't replicate it on any machine at work or home :(

Gav reported the same problems the morning...

hokers
-20th February 2009, 10:28
Continual 403 errors for me :(

Can't post at all.

edit: in some threads

wingnutLP
-20th February 2009, 10:46
Can someone post the error message and the URL and time please?

Several people are reporting this but I can't replicate it and the host will not help without more details!

Boo Boo
-20th February 2009, 10:50
Continual 403 errors for me :(

Can't post at all.

edit: in some threads

I am getting oddly "random" 403 errors too.

Boo

wingnutLP
-20th February 2009, 11:22
Can someone post the error message and the URL and time please?

Several people are reporting this but I can't replicate it and the host will not help without more details!

If people don't post links, times and error contants theen I can't help.

Boo Boo
-20th February 2009, 11:41
If people don't post links, times and error contants theen I can't help.

Hi Alex

Try posting the contents of my attachment from here http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12012&page=3 (post 45) ONTO the thread. I tried three times (just before that post time) and couldn't do it (so had to attach the text as a Word doc instead of post it on the thread).

Also go to http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=212045#post212045 (post 7). I was trying for 15 minutes to post that simple reply last night. It turned out that one word would not post (and I couldn't edit it in either). I will let you guess which word... :whistle: (again attempted post/edit times were 15 or so minutes immediately prior to that).

I also tried to send two PMs this morning. Both had the same word in (as was causing the problems talked about in my second paragraph). I couldn't successfully send either (i.e. without 403 errors) until I hyphonated the offending word (both got sent straight away after that).

So there some odd things going on...

Hope that helps.
Boo

wingnutLP
-20th February 2009, 11:43
can you e mail me the offending word please?

webmaster (at) fencingforum.com

hokers
-20th February 2009, 11:45
Or just spell it out for us so we know what to avoid?

wingnutLP
-20th February 2009, 11:47
Or just spell it out for us so we know what to avoid?

I think the point is that she can't post it ;)

or were you trying to be funny?

Boo Boo
-20th February 2009, 11:54
Also go to http://fencingforum.com/forum/showth...045#post212045 (post 7). I was trying for 15 minutes to post that simple reply last night. It turned out that one word would not post (and I couldn't edit it in either). I will let you guess which word... (again attempted post/edit times were 15 or so minutes immediately prior to that).

That is a BIG hint (it is hyphonated in my post on that thread) ;)

There MAY be variations on that word (or others as well - not sure if I used that exact word in the attachment that I posted to the JW thread), but that WAS the word I just couldn't post (OR add to an edited post) last night and that is ALSO the word that I couldn't PM this morning.

Having a background in Safety Critical Software (and quite a lot of experience testing it), the ability for me to reproduce the error suggests more than completely random coincidence...

Boo

wingnutLP
-20th February 2009, 12:11
selecting

wingnutLP
-20th February 2009, 12:12
this is very odd, the word you seem to be refering to is selecting and it works fine for me!

I am on the phone to the hosts but there is certainly nothing we have done to ban certain words (other than swear words).

Baldric
-20th February 2009, 12:12
selecting selection selector select

Testing

Works ok for me.

wingnutLP
-20th February 2009, 12:16
Well the hosts have replicated the 403 error problem and are getting an administrator to look into it.

They recently released this announcement:

"Important! On February 18, 2009 (approximately 6:00 pm EST) your FTP password(s) may have been changed, due to security enhancements on our Linux systems. If you have not already changed your FTP password, please use these instructions (http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/pages.manual14) to change them now"

So I think that their "enhancements" have caused the problem.

Boo Boo
-20th February 2009, 12:18
and seems to work ok for me now (selecting, selection, select).

Boo Boo
-20th February 2009, 12:19
All I know is that last night and this morning it wasn't (and I did fairly exhaustively test it - through a process of post, repost, edit, re-edit and elimination - on both IE and Firefox... didn't work on either).

It could have been complete coincidence, but from a testing point of view (i.e. reproduction and elimination)...

Boo

Boo Boo
-20th February 2009, 12:20
I just got another error (before posting the first of the two last posts - if that helps you track why, Alex), so maybe it is complete coincidence... OR the men in white coats are coming to get me :grin:

Boo

Boo Boo
-20th February 2009, 12:31
I think one thing to look at though - is why no-one (me, you or one or two other people who have tried) can post the content of my attachment to the JW thread ON that thread.

That is just perplexing... and may help you solve whatever is tripping the 403 exception. (I have just retried - copying and pasting - the contents into a new post on that thread).

Boo

hokers
-20th February 2009, 12:34
Weird - my post didnt say selecting but I still couldn't post it.

Gav
-20th February 2009, 13:37
Wingnut tells me their hosts are giving them gip. I can't post much either. :(