PDA

View Full Version : Funny fencing

kingkenny
-26th November 2003, 08:29
This weeks guest publication on "Have I got news for you." is the sword magazine so it might be worth a look.

Gav
-26th November 2003, 08:35
Brilliant! I'll have to watch that.

Aoife
-26th November 2003, 09:43
Super!

(hang on.... isn't it suppose to be magazines which are seen as odd and a little sad.... Doh!)

Rdb811
-26th November 2003, 17:18
Like Paul Merton's guest.

Muso440
-26th November 2003, 18:16
Originally posted by Aoife
(hang on.... isn't it suppose to be magazines which are seen as odd and a little sad.... Doh!)

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't really see how The Sword in itself is amusing. (Or does it have some weird subtitle I'm not aware of, not being a subscriber? Eg. 'The Sword: Where Musketeers Run Wild', or 'The Sword: touche'!' or something???)

Obscure, yes; amusing, not really. Not even if I imagine Angus Deayton introducing it in a patronising voice. (Actually, is he still doing it?? Shows how long it is since I watched TV regularly :confused: )

Mantis
-26th November 2003, 18:33
I don't watch it regularly either but I do know that Angus Deayton has not presented it for some time, after certain, ahem, indiscretions.

The main joke about using obscure magazines is that the headlines are almost impossible to guess, and so they spend the time thinking up amusing (?) alternatives.

Just from the front cover of the penultimate issue (the one that www.britishfencing.com still has on the web site) they might, for example, have "Ultimate ______ swashbuckler."

Jambo
-26th November 2003, 20:07
Its a bit tragic that we are being compared to other guest publications like Water Boilers monthly or Caravan weekly (two i vaguely rmeber being on). :(

2ndpl=1stloser
-26th November 2003, 21:18
there are better titles. A few years ago I saw a magazine called 'Successful Potato. Beat that.

But The Sword is quite funny. How much lottery money is it reporting that the BFA has won for the sport?

uk_45
-26th November 2003, 21:25
I won't be in on Fri night any one know when the repeat is?

James
-26th November 2003, 21:29
sunday...possibly

uk_45
-26th November 2003, 21:33
Thanks i will try and record it.

I can see lots of jokes where Paul M will be saying where u can stick a sword.

Muso440
-27th November 2003, 08:10
Will someone report back once it's been aired, for those of us like me who are TV-less?

I still don't think it's in the same category as 'Successful Potato'. :confused:

Tubby
-28th November 2003, 19:36
Was "beat that" part of the potato title? "Smash that" would have been good or "beat that" for Successful Egg.

(Being so anally retentive my cage gets rattled when I see an unclosed quotation.

But I better take my own advice on chilling out and chill out myself.)

2ndpl=1stloser
-28th November 2003, 20:04
Then yo'ull just love these sentence's; I bet.

Tubby
-28th November 2003, 21:02
Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(thud)

Tubby
-28th November 2003, 21:05
Kirsty Young with the Sword, now there's food for thought!

Jambo
-28th November 2003, 21:05
Well, that was a relatively unfunny missing word round. Glad to see they couldnt make the sword look too bad.

Mantis
-28th November 2003, 21:10
Missed it, though I may catch it tomorrow night. What captions did they have? I had a look through the latest issue and found surprisingly few captions that I could imagine they could use.

Tubby
-28th November 2003, 21:18
I don't remember those headlines, maybe its because the daughter grabbed the one copy of the Sword we get and I've not seen it since.

The headlines (from failing memory) were something to do with:
sophie looking like her dad
turkey being the origin of english
judge deed keeping fit by fencing
fencing being responsible for us driving on the left (more :girl1:s should take up fencing then - time to duck)

BTW - Musketeer membership - patch, sticker, one copy of Sword, insurance, membership card 9. Renewal - insurance and membership card 9, kid wondering where her sticker and patch got to. She feels like she's been ripped off. She won't have it that she isn't, even when I explain that its me that is paying.

Aoife
-29th November 2003, 15:02
I'm so sad, I got both the fecning ones (well, it took me two goes ot get the drives on the left... first thing I said was about buttoning to one side). I got the Turkey one too... but not the Sophie one.

Have they ever had fencers on 'feel the sportsperson' on They Think It's All Over?

rpryer
-29th November 2003, 15:58
James Williams was on a couple of years ago.

Aoife
-29th November 2003, 17:00
I wish I knew who that is.

(I'm hopelessly ignorant about good fencers... and for that matter, all other sportstars).

On Feel the Sportsperson, I think the Canadian women's epee team would go down well for Johnathen Ross' team? :eyerise:

Jambo
-29th November 2003, 17:01
He's the current number one sabruer.

Aoife
-29th November 2003, 17:10
Ahhhh.... I know I'm going to have to find a way to smugly slip that into a conversation sometime soon now :grin:

UglyBug
-29th November 2003, 17:13
I guess not that many fencers that have started up more recently would really know James Williams - doesn't he live/train in France or something?

Aoife
-29th November 2003, 18:57
There was just a fencing question on the Weakest Link Drag Queen Special.

"What sport uses moves such as lunge and parry."

The Drag Queen answering got it right as well! Yippee!

Muso440
-29th November 2003, 19:07
I'm so sad, I got both the fecning ones (well, it took me two goes ot get the drives on the left... first thing I said was about buttoning to one side).

Would you care to explain for someone who didn't see it? It's a bit cryptic otherwise...

Aoife
-29th November 2003, 19:27
The missing words round.

It was something like "Fencing responsible for way we _____________" and firstly I yelled out "button clothes" then "or drive on left". We have very inactive TV gameshow watching in my house :grin:

Muso440
-30th November 2003, 10:07
The missing words round.

It was something like "Fencing responsible for way we _____________" and firstly I yelled out "button clothes" then "or drive on left"

So 'drive on the left' was the right answer??? (going back to your previous post). Really? Cool. Why? (Let me guess, something to do with days of yore when you had to defend yourself against highwaymen or something.) (Or am I talking pants again?)

Muso440
-30th November 2003, 10:11
There was just a fencing question on the Weakest Link Drag Queen Special.

"What sport uses moves such as lunge and parry."

The Drag Queen answering got it right as well! Yippee!

Drag queens fencing, now there's a thought...:glamour:

uk_45
-30th November 2003, 12:00
I think driving in on the left comes from gousting.

Aoife
-30th November 2003, 15:26
:shrug:

Maybe it did come from jousting, but that was the sorrect answer. Wouldn't know, myself. Don't get the sword.

Muso440
-30th November 2003, 15:57
So didn't they joust in continental Europe?

:confused:

Mantis
-30th November 2003, 16:12
In England you pass on the left because when you approached a stranger on horseback you wanted to be able to defend yourself with your right hand. The reason that the rest of Europe is different is because Napoleon insisted on being different from the English in every respect.

Rdb811
-30th November 2003, 20:50
Originally posted by Muso440
So didn't they joust in continental Europe?

:confused:

I'm pretty certain jousting originated form there - Mantis is correct.

Gav
-1st December 2003, 08:33
Originally posted by Rdb811
I'm pretty certain jousting originated form there - Mantis is correct.

I'm sure that jousting occured on the continent as it did here. I don't have any reliable proof to hand but considering that the concepts of Knighthood and chivalry originated in Europe and were imported by the Normans (or would that be exported by force?) then surely they were as likely to joust as we were.

Marcos
-1st December 2003, 14:09
Originally posted by Mantis
In England you pass on the left because when you approached a stranger on horseback you wanted to be able to defend yourself with your right hand. The reason that the rest of Europe is different is because Napoleon insisted on being different from the English in every respect.

And did you know the railway track size in Spain is different to France because Franco thought the French would invade Spain by train?

that is why if you ever take the train from spain into France the border crossing is so slow - the train literally changes the width of its track on the way throgh.

anyway, saw the repeat of have i got (a little bit more) news for you...very very funny - but as the core of the show took so long there was only a very short "missing words" round (featuring The Sword).

hayleyjade
-8th December 2003, 18:57
yes i know this is very late, but i thought the round with the sword was pretty pants! the show is always funny, only got to see it once, the other time i was walking home from fencing (yes i am sad, i watched it twice, but it is really funny and there was nothing else to watch, aprt from my video of dumb and dumberer, rubbish IMO)

hayleyjade
-5th January 2004, 16:03
ok, was walking back from babysitting! not fencing!

must have fencing on the brain!

Tubby
-5th January 2004, 21:44
busted