PDA

View Full Version : I waz robbed!!!!!! part two

Prometheus
-26th November 2003, 13:50
I thought I'd start a thread for people to vent their ire for those occasions where some twonk (who knows some of the rules but not all) is presiding or butts in to the decision making process and flagrantly mis-applies those rules thus losing you a hit/ a match etc.

Here goes:

Nationals two years ago.

President says play and then my opponent stops and says 'oh - my tips fallen out - no wonder I didn't get a light when I hit and my opponent did in the previous play! He should lose that hit!!!':eek:

Then the President wants to anul my last hit from previous play...:dizzy:

me: 'You can't be serious - you can only anul the hit before you call play again! Not afterwards!!':mad: Whose to prove when the tip fell out?????

Anyway to cut a long story short a so called expert weighed in and pronounced on the matter that 'Indeed the hit can be annulled' !! :upset:

Kicked my opponents **** after that 5-1........:moon: :rambo:

aao
-26th November 2003, 14:01
Well a well known referee a few seasons ago was presiding a last 32 fight of mine, the fight was very close and I thought I was a couple of hits up at 13-11 but when the ref read out the score he said it was 12-11 and I didn't really argue as I wasn't totally sure. Ended up losing the fight 15-14 :( and as I came of the piste (fairly pi**ed off) to shake the refs hand he said 'unlucky it was a close one, actually you should have won the fight but I forgot to put down one of your hits!!!! unfortunately I din't know much about DT's then but was considerably more :mad: after that! (okay I still shouldn't have lost, but he really shouldn't have made the mistake or if he did at least not told anybody about it!!!!)

Prometheus
-26th November 2003, 14:14
Yes, that happens a lot......here's a similar one - not quite getting robbed......

I remember a friend recounting a time when in a county league match the president (who incidentally was a committee member of the F*E!) remarked at the end of a bout that he got a decision the wrong way against this friend - so to put it right got another decision wrong but in favour of the my friend so evening up the score! Is that two wrongs make a right????:transport

Mantis
-26th November 2003, 14:29
I wasn't fencing but it was a team event and I was the captain at the time. A red card (first offence) was given for the use of the sword-arm to parry, or alternatively, a poorly judged circular parry. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but it is a yellow card if you parry with the non-sword arm. The referee wasn't going to do anything until Mr I've-(supposedly)-passed-such-and-such-refereeing-exam weighed in. :mad:

Jambo
-26th November 2003, 14:38
Mantis, if that was BUSA you should have told em where to stick the aforementioned card. I hate it when people get all over the top and officious at a uni match.

Winwaloe
-26th November 2003, 16:02
few years back when fencing in the County sabre champs my clubmate (I use the term in a fairly loose fashion) missed out a 5-0 victory of mine. By teh time it was discovered it was too late and it cost me a medal. So if there is an ex Home Counties sabreur now hiding in the North reading this - No I have not forgotten!!!!!

Prometheus
-26th November 2003, 16:05
Damn - these stories are far better than mine!:o

I shall have to stea..... whoops, I mean borrow some of them for the post fencing pub session........:rolleyes:

Mantis
-26th November 2003, 17:24
OK, this is going way back. It is my earliest memory of a competition and so you can see how it has mentally scarred me for life. I entered a novice foil competition which was being run as steam until everyone left had electrical equipment (that shows how long ago it was). At one point I was fencing and the president phrased an action which, together with how the judges hands went up, was certain to give me the point - I cannot remember now but maybe only the judges behind me saw anything. At that point, someone interrupted the president to give him some results (our poule was running late) and he forgot what had happened, so I lost the point. I think I might even have lost 5-4.

I honestly cannot remember anything else about the competition at all. :tongue:

Robert
-26th November 2003, 17:28
I can't think of anything that has happened to me but I have made a few bloopers presiding things for other people. I was presiding some junior foil and thinking 'gosh, their point-control is rather good', only to discover after the second fight the box was set to epee.

Robert

Marcos
-27th November 2003, 08:26
I am continualy being robbed - in fact, had it not been for poor presiding I'd have qualified for the next Olympics at a canter!

Let me see - the most blatant one recently was at Amsterdam Sabre in the qualifying poule...4-4 against a Belgium left hander....

Pres....allez!

I come forward, the Belgium jinks, and moves back
I step forward and half lunge under his guard
he parries with his forearm and ripostes hitting me on the head.

What is quite funny is that Hokers took a digital video camera to Slough last year - the two of us had complained about the reffing all through the day, but when we saw the hits on video they were (mostly) correctly called.

rjrc1
-3rd December 2003, 15:21
This is my first posting so hope i get the format and stuff right

Not much of a i was robbed more of an i should be shot, but loosing 15-0 to Julian Rose at my first tournament. (this isn't that bad considering his skills)...but he did manage to do his skyhook to the wrist about 8 times. And then to come up against him at the BUSA individuals like two weeks later, then i felt i was getting robbed or something quite similar.

Good luck to all at BUSA this weekend, I will be there all three days (not that most of you know who i am).

Rob

rjrc1
-3rd December 2003, 15:24
Also did anyone here about the guy in a major international competition using a bogie on the end of his epee to get the final hit of the final. He fleched to his opponant hit the guard and because the bogie was there he got the hit.

A coach in america told me that story, it is just nasty!! But effective..

Rob

aao
-3rd December 2003, 15:25
er yup you're quite right, losing to Jules 15-0 truely is a shootable offence despite no matter what his 'skills' ;)

Prometheus
-3rd December 2003, 15:42
Did he pick his nose with an epee???!!!!:(

Prometheus (....Shudder.....)

rjrc1
-3rd December 2003, 15:53
Originally posted by Prometheus
Did he pick his nose with an epee???!!!!:(

Prometheus (....Shudder.....)

I agreee with the shudder but no i think he transfered it when he was walking back after a fleche in the previous action

rjrc1
-3rd December 2003, 15:59
Originally posted by aao
er yup you're quite right, losing to Jules 15-0 truely is a shootable offence despite no matter what his 'skills' ;)

Well i thourght he was pretty good guess that show how truely poor i am then!! He beat me 15-6 at BUSA though guess that must have been the humiliation willing me to do better.

aao
-3rd December 2003, 23:46
no no don't get me wrong Jules is a decidely useful fencer, who occasionally even manages to fence and look good (I believe he is currently loitering in the top 20 somewhere) and there is no great shame in being beaten by him (eugh can't believe I just wrote that!) especially as your only starting out at the sport :) (although 8 of those silly hooky things to hand!!! definately have to stop him doing that or we'll never get his head into a mask!)

On the other hand it is Jules, and losing to him is just plain wrong ;) (if that doesn't get him fired up for our 3 weapon relay up to 45, pints for points match nothing will :moon: )

Moose
-4th December 2003, 04:46
Originally posted by rjrc1
Also did anyone here about the guy in a major international competition using a bogie on the end of his epee to get the final hit of the final. He fleched to his opponant hit the guard and because the bogie was there he got the hit.

A coach in america told me that story, it is just nasty!! But effective..

Rob

I think Bogies are conductive :grin:

Which Leicester club are you at Rob?

rjrc1
-4th December 2003, 08:20
I think the guy was Russian..maybe their bogies aren't conductive?

I work at the Uni so i fence at the Uni club (BUSA won't let me fence for them though..Grrr) and i occasionly go to the city club (although this tuesday just gone was the first time i went). Learnt to fence in Lancaster (and Minnesota) though.

Moose
-4th December 2003, 22:40
Heh, I work at the Uni too, and used to Fence at the Uni club. I usually fence at Jim's club, but have been to busy with work to go down lately.