PDA

View Full Version : Junior & Cadet World Championships 2009, Belfast

Pages : [1] 2

Neil Brown
-17th January 2009, 00:14
Details are now up on the British Fencing web site & at http://www.worldfencing2009.com/

cesh_fencing
-11th February 2009, 13:25
Less that 2 months to go.

I do like the webiste, seems very clear and easy to use.

I am guessing real time results will be available via the site during the event as Allstar/Uhlmann events seem to link up with the company who do the real time website score updates (like at the Junior Europeans).

Tubby
-17th February 2009, 13:04
The IC were supposed to be meeting yesterday. Any news?

Foilling Around
-17th February 2009, 13:11
The IC were supposed to be meeting yesterday. Any news?

Actually the selection date after the last competitions was yesterday. The Weapons Committees now make their decisions and I understand from the powers that be that the IC meeting is on 23rd to ratify or change them.

From the Foil point of view I have submitted all of the rankings printouts and we have contacted all of the possible fencers for availability. Based on those replies the FC will make its recommendations to the IC and I hope the result will be communicated quickly. That will give time for any appeals. Though I do not anticipate any appeals at Foil as it is fairly straight forward.

Paul

Tubby
-17th February 2009, 13:46
Paul
thank you for the clarification on the dates. I can relax until next week then.
Andrew

Neil Brown
-24th February 2009, 17:01
Teams are up on the front page of the British Fencing web site now.

Full details for the British team will be up at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net) later today or on Thursday.

pinkelephant
-24th February 2009, 19:46
Why have we got 3 threads on the same topic?

Foilling Around
-24th February 2009, 20:20
This is Neil's information thread, the other 2 are duplicates

Lucan
-24th February 2009, 20:49
Scotland is going to contact ALL its members on email to ask them to volunteer for the event.

You can volunteer here. Lots required.
http://www.worldfencing2009.com/english-eng/volunteer-information

Referee's Assistant
Video Jockey
Access Control
Information Desk
L32 Call Room Assistant
Weapon Control
DT
Accreditation

Neil Brown
-27th February 2009, 10:07
Latest information for fencers is now up on the Belfast link at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net).

Tubby
-28th February 2009, 00:16
Neil
you're up in 4 hours, go to bed. See you in a few hours.

The Baron
-28th February 2009, 00:47
By all accounts a lot of money is being put into this event and yet British fencing can't even produce enough UK competitors to fill all the entry positions! What is going on? Surely this once in a lifetime home soil event is the golden opportunity to help push both UK individual and team entrants into really developing their fencing on a world stage.

Yes I live in Belfast and this complete lack of long term vision on behalf of UK fencers completely reflects the build up and publicity for these games here. Call me skeptical as to achieving any benefit for hosting it in the UK as to the way things are developing - Yes you're complete right!

TomA
-3rd March 2009, 14:14
Just over a month to go and the french and spanish versions of the site aren't up yet. Why? :confused:

JonM
-3rd March 2009, 18:37
Just over a month to go and the french and spanish versions of the site aren't up yet. Why? :confused:

Cost and expediency. To have the website profesionally translated would have put it way over the budget allowed. No other federations complained about the the lack of french and spanish information, so we saved the money. The french and spanish flags should have been taken down, I will mention that to the powers that be.

Re the post above which mentions lots of money being spent. They are right, we have an 8-day build for the event. We have seating, scaffolding, electrical, flooring, lighting, and sound systems contractors as well as the fencing technical contractors on board. Once fencing is over it will take two days to pull it out. This is not your run-of-the-mill fencing comp, this is a world championships.

Jon

Boo Boo
-3rd March 2009, 18:40
Re the post above which mentions lots of money being spent. They are right, we have an 8-day build for the event. We have seating, scaffolding, electrical, flooring, lighting, and sound systems contractors as well as the fencing technical contractors on board. Once fencing is over it will take two days to pull it out. This is not your run-of-the-mill fencing comp, this is a world championships.

Jon

Good luck, and thank you, to you and all of the organisers/volunteers - I bet that it will be brilliant :)

Boo

Badiflo
-5th March 2009, 06:15
Hello,
I would like to make a suggestion: please make photos of the award ceremonies and show them on the official site. For those who can only participate in front of the monitor at home this would be great! On the site of the Eurocadets you can only watch a few action photos (some out of focus).

Badiflo

Neil Brown
-6th March 2009, 07:34
Information for the fencers is now up at the usual www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net) & linked form the British Fencing web site.

I hope by now all 40 fencers have read everything & will return all the information we need in the next day or so. There are actions needed from the selected fencers.

Discount orders & team bags from Leon Paul must be done at the weekend.

Tubby
-6th March 2009, 16:13
Not sure if Mudge has access to any of the stuff out in Bourges, however you can ask her for a signature whilst you're out there.

Neil Brown
-10th March 2009, 14:58
Latest details are now up including the permissions form that must be completed by all 40 fencers.

Please can all fencers run, don't walk, to the post box with this.

Details are here http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=1288 & on the Belfast link at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net)

If you are a fencer or official coach & there is any red in your row on the spreadsheet this means I still need some information from you. Please then do something about it.

All travel details are also on this spreadsheet, please check & email me & Linda if they are blank or wrong.

Thanks

PM1
-12th March 2009, 00:05
DO NOT use the form in Neil's mega info roll....it's the euros one !! Use the one posted here BUT the link to the catalogue is down as I post this (Wednesday 11th March, 23.00 hrs), and will be mended tomorrow. Soz :whistle:

elpis
-12th March 2009, 11:59
Cost and expediency. To have the website profesionally translated would have put it way over the budget allowed. No other federations complained about the the lack of french and spanish information, so we saved the money. The french and spanish flags should have been taken down, I will mention that to the powers that be.

Jon

Jon, I suppose you belong to organizers. The results will be available online live? Or not? Thank you.

Neil Brown
-12th March 2009, 12:41
Please can all fencers & coaches read this bit of the information:-
Please copy Neil & Linda in all email correspondence

Most of you have but we've both missed a few messages.

The results will be available live, hit-by-hit scoring.

PM1
-12th March 2009, 13:02
Link fixed, but I can't get in to amend the form (Neil will do it for me or I will when at home - can't sort it on this machine)

http://our-catalogue.com/brochure/
MaggieLloydJones/JuniorampCadetWorldChampionShipsBelfast2009/

Ta.

Orders coming in ALREADY !!!:D

Neil Brown
-12th March 2009, 13:53
Link on the info document is now working.

Neil Brown
-14th March 2009, 01:01
http://worldfencing2009.blogspot.com/

JonM
-14th March 2009, 07:51
Jon, I suppose you belong to organizers. The results will be available online live? Or not? Thank you.

Yes, Ophardt will be running their live hit by hit service.

Jon

HelenC
-17th March 2009, 16:34
Email received today from British Fencing:-

NIFU has run into a very serious shortage of volunteers for the up coming fencing event. In order for you to appreciate the scale of volunteer force needed and how much we desperately need your help, we require approximately 80 people a day for 12 days, which in real terms is more like 400 people giving two 2 days volunteer support each. Volunteers must be 16+ yrs and older.

Rather worrying a couple of weeks before the event?

Helen

munkey
-17th March 2009, 20:23
Email received today from British Fencing:-

NIFU has run into a very serious shortage of volunteers for the up coming fencing event. In order for you to appreciate the scale of volunteer force needed and how much we desperately need your help, we require approximately 80 people a day for 12 days, which in real terms is more like 400 people giving two 2 days volunteer support each. Volunteers must be 16+ yrs and older.

Rather worrying a couple of weeks before the event?

Helen

More than rather worrying. Reasons seem fairly straightforward. NIFU has about 200 members, maybe a third of that number are 16+. Of that 60 or 70, probably 20 to 30 are based outside Northern Ireland, leaving potential adult volunteers at around 30 to 40. Some of those potential volunteers will be working/ away on holiday/ not bothered. Hence the serious shortage.

Not a difficult bit of arithmetic but has taken NIFU and British Fencing until just over a fortnight before the event to realise they have a problem. How many will be willing to travel to Belfast and stay a few days at their own expense to work as volunteers in return for a T-shirt and lunch? Not enough, I suspect. Disaster looming.

Munkey

scottishsabreur
-18th March 2009, 00:36
Hmm...well the original appeal for volunteers wasn't exactly very appealing... I'm sure it would all be very exciting to be involved in but really how many fencers can afford to go over to Northern Ireland to volunteer?? Cost of accomodation, travel, food, etc. There was no mention of any reimbursement of these basic costs (certainly I didn't see any on the request I saw)...

Tubby
-18th March 2009, 11:35
JonM I don't have your number - check your PM

Neil Brown
-19th March 2009, 13:00
Latest details up on the spreadsheet now. Scroll right to see the hotel lists.

Please check & let me know if any errors.

Gangsta G
-19th March 2009, 14:21
http://worldfencing2009.blogspot.com/It seems this blog can only be viewed if you've been invited to read it (unless that is correct?)

Libby
-19th March 2009, 15:20
We are still testing some features on the blog, but fear not, it will be live very soon and at that point you can all read it and subscribe to the regular updates.

Watch this space...

Libby

PM1
-21st March 2009, 22:02
Thanks for your orders fencers......kit will NOT be posted out to you at home, but will be delivered to Belfast, my/your hotel. I'll be there before any of you, I think.

Mel-j

JonM
-22nd March 2009, 09:09
Just been on the FIE website and downloaded the entries.

Official close of entry was midnight last night but changes can be made subject to a (largish) fee.

It appears we beat Sicily last year. Individual entries total 10% up.

Belfast 09 Entry Numbers - 22/03/09.

05/04/2009 Cadet Mens' Sabre 71
Cadet Womens' Foil 71

06/04/2009 Cadet Mens' Epee 104
Cadet Womens' Sabre 49

07/04/2009 Cadet Mens' Foil 85
Cadet Womens' Epee 80

08/04/2009 Junior Mens' Sabre 103
Junior Womens' Foil 88

09/04/2009 Junior Mens' Epee 149
Junior Womens' Sabre 77

10/04/2009 Junior Mens' Foil 124
Junior Womens' Epee 105

11/04/2009 Junior Mens' Team Sabre 22
Junior Womens' Team Foil 21

12/04/2009 Junior Mens' Team Epee 37
Junior Womens' Team Sabre 18

13/04/2009 Junior Mens' Team Foil 26
Junior Womens' Team Epee 23

Individual Entries: 1106

Team Entries: 147

Not confirmed but number of countries in low 80's

Jon

MatFink
-22nd March 2009, 10:38
Thanks Jon

still doing a great job for fencing.

Sounds like it should be good.

147 teams !!!!

Gangsta G
-22nd March 2009, 19:33
Nice to hear that the entry is up on last year, especially when one considers the credit crunch.

Neil Brown
-23rd March 2009, 00:55
Thanks to the coaches who gave up their time for the national team training day today.

Pierre Harper, Linda Strachan, Neale Thomas, Ian Williams, Maciej Wojtkowiak

Thanks to the fencers who did turn up for their hard work & enthusiasm.

Libby
-23rd March 2009, 01:32
The event blog is now live for everyone to view at www.worldfencing2009.blogspot.com

Sign up for a daily email update, or to get email updates every time there is a new post, or just vist the blog as and when you like! We'll be posting results commentary, interviews and photos.

I'm also looking for volunteers to help with the blog so if you will be at the event and want to exercise your sports journalist tendencies then pm me asap! Bloggers don't need to be fencers, but if you know a bit about fencing and are familiar with competitions that will help, but not essential. You don't need to be there for the whole event but must commit for a whole day at least.

Enjoy!

Libby

StabInTheDark
-23rd March 2009, 13:25
Thanks to the coaches who gave up their time for the national team training day today.

Pierre Harper, Linda Strachan, Neale Thomas, Ian Williams, Maciej Wojtkowiak

Thanks to the fencers who did turn up for their hard work & enthusiasm.

There seemed to be a degree of correlation between how far some fencers had to come and their commitment to being there.

Neil Brown
-24th March 2009, 00:50
More information up on the info dcoument at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net) now. Times are up for those who are travelling on the British Fencing group flights (out 3rd or 6th, back 8th or 14th).

Please check the spreadsheet if you are expecting any airport transfers in Belfast & make sure we have the right Belfast airport.

IanS
-24th March 2009, 00:51
More than rather worrying. Reasons seem fairly straightforward. NIFU has about 200 members, maybe a third of that number are 16+. Of that 60 or 70, probably 20 to 30 are based outside Northern Ireland, leaving potential adult volunteers at around 30 to 40. Some of those potential volunteers will be working/ away on holiday/ not bothered. Hence the serious shortage.

Not a difficult bit of arithmetic but has taken NIFU and British Fencing until just over a fortnight before the event to realise they have a problem. How many will be willing to travel to Belfast and stay a few days at their own expense to work as volunteers in return for a T-shirt and lunch? Not enough, I suspect. Disaster looming.

Munkey

Minor point - NIFU have been highlighting this problem for about a year.

Major Point - BFA have now agreed to pay for accommodation in a Youth Hostel for anyone from England, Scotland or Wales who wants to volunteer. So that's food and accommodation covered.

Anyone interested? The first time a World Championships has been in the UK since Keith Smith was in short trousers!

www.worldfencing2009.com/english-eng/volunteer-information/volunteering-application-form

Ian

Neil Brown
-24th March 2009, 01:04
Anyone who wants to use this accommodation should email Hannah at: fencingyodo at hotmail.com

There is also some extra funding available for anyone who wants to volunteer in Belfast & at the UK School Games in Cardiff 4-6 Sept. There's an age limit (under 24) on this funding but it's enough to pay for travel to Belfast. So together with the offer of free accommodation from British Fencing all expenses can be paid for some volunteers.

Tubby
-24th March 2009, 11:50
Neil
your key info sheet (.pdf) with links is "damaged and could not be repaired" so I cannot open it.

Tubby
-24th March 2009, 13:31
Resolved, problem appears to have been in my browser.

hamsandwich
-24th March 2009, 18:03
Major Point - BFA have now agreed to pay for accommodation in a Youth Hostel for anyone from England, Scotland or Wales who wants to volunteer. So that's food and accommodation covered.

what about Ireland? I'm sure a few from the south would go up if accommodation/petrol was paid for...

Libby
-25th March 2009, 23:19
Am still after some blog volunteers, so if anyone will be out there and fancies keeping everyone up to date with the latest from the competition please do pm me. Blog is www.worldfencing2009.blogspot.com so take a look.

It should be really good fun and you can live out any dreams you have of being a sports journalist!

Neil Brown
-26th March 2009, 00:35
Invoices for the team fencers have all gone out from the British Fencing office today.

Fencers, please pay these by 2nd April.

Please all check the airport transfer lists on the usual spreadsheet linked from the Belfast info document at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net)

JonM
-28th March 2009, 15:22
The build started at 8.30am this morning.

kate Smith on site supervising.

Jon

8 days to go!

JonM
-28th March 2009, 15:23
The build started at 8.30am this morning.

Kate Smith on site supervising.

Jon

8 days to go!

Neil Brown
-29th March 2009, 00:02
Last chance for the hostel accommodation. British Fencing will now pay for volunteers to stay in Belfast, at The Belfast Linen House http://www.belfasthostel.com/

If you would like to use this accommodation you must email Hannah Chenneour at: fencingyodo at hotmail.com. Closing date for this will be Monday.

So volunteers will now get free accommodation & food as well as the chance to get the best view of the top junior fencers in the world.

Foilling Around
-29th March 2009, 20:04
Go to this website

http://212.34.165.4:8080/WAFechten/index.jsp

and you can find the names of the fencers entered for each event. Though the poules are not yet up.

pinkelephant
-29th March 2009, 22:42
Go to this website

and you can find the names of the fencers entered for each event. Though the poules are not yet up.

The pools won't be up until the day before each event.

Does anybody know where I can find last year's Cadet World results? They don't seem to be on the FIE website, though the Junior results are, and the relevant pages on the Acireale website seem to be deceased.

Hassan
-30th March 2009, 12:31
Not the most user-friendly document in the world but this is from the FIE.

http://www.fie.ch/download/en%20bref/fr/Resultats%20CHM%20C.pdf

pinkelephant
-30th March 2009, 16:50
Not the most user-friendly document in the world but this is from the FIE.

http://www.fie.ch/download/en%20bref/fr/Resultats%20CHM%20C.pdf

Thank you. How on earth did you track that down?

pigeonmeister
-30th March 2009, 17:47
All the results from cadet, junior and senior world champs and OGs are here:
http://fie.ch/InBrief/Fencing.aspx

pinkelephant
-30th March 2009, 20:16
Same link one page further back. Fascinating once you know it's there!

Neil Brown
-31st March 2009, 00:52
Wireless from the 32 in foil & sabre, TBC for epee.

So foil & sabre fencers will need to have a conductive t-shirt or a firm plan of who they will borrow one from. Epee fencers will be given a conductive sleeve if they need it, no action needed.

Transparent masks are compulsory for all sabre, optional for foil & epee.

Foilling Around
-1st April 2009, 07:45
I filled in a volunteering form on Sunday evening for youngest and followed it up with an email, then emailed about the accomodation

Hannah kindly replied that she is holdinmg a bed, but I have had no response as yet about if he is needed. I realise that it was very late and everyone must be very busy, but does anyone have a mobile number for someone who is managing the volunteers?

Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Paul

Tubby
-1st April 2009, 11:21
Wireless from the 32 in foil & sabre, TBC for epee. Mudge will have a spare wireless pocket for the LP contour fit mask should anyone need it. (Lets hope one is not enough :) )

Tubby
-1st April 2009, 11:22
I filled in a volunteering form on Sunday evening for youngest and followed it up with an email, then emailed about the accomodation

Hannah kindly replied that she is holdinmg a bed, but I have had no response as yet about if he is needed. I realise that it was very late and everyone must be very busy, but does anyone have a mobile number for someone who is managing the volunteers?

Thanks

PaulPaul
see other thread, contact Rochelle.

Foilling Around
-1st April 2009, 12:53

Thanks

Paul

All sorted now - thanx for all the help - Paul

Neil Brown
-1st April 2009, 13:25
The hall, at 9 o'clock, 1st April.

UglyBug
-1st April 2009, 15:07
What is the strange textured material making up the floor?

Tubby
-1st April 2009, 16:19
Neil

sorry this is so late in the day - in your instructions letter you comment about equipment being handed in to weapons control the day before the event, and therefore if the fencer wanted to train before the event that they should carry extra kit. Is all the kit handed over including mask, glove, plastron, jacket and breeches as well as the wires and weapons? I'm trying to work out how much kit to bring.

UglyBug
-1st April 2009, 16:32
Assume everything except socks and plastron - although this is based on my past experience, not this specific championships.

Gangsta G
-1st April 2009, 16:50
Is that all the seating?

Neil Brown
-1st April 2009, 19:21
Socks will be included in the kit for control. I will send the DRAFT weapon control sheet to the team fencers later today.

MiniMelia
-4th April 2009, 11:36
My gloves gonna fail :'(

Neil Brown
-4th April 2009, 14:17
The hall on Friday

cesh_fencing
-4th April 2009, 17:07
Have the start times etc for each event been published yet?

Foilling Around
-4th April 2009, 18:09
Have the start times etc for each event been published yet?

On the Ophardt website it shows 09:00 for the Cadet MS and 10:00 for the Cadet WF

Their poules are up.

munkey
-4th April 2009, 20:21
Monday start times:
Women's sabre 9.00
Men's epee 10.00
Finals 17.30

Tuesday start times:
Women's epee 8.30
Men's foil 10.00
Finals 18.00

Munkey

asaba
-5th April 2009, 13:02
MS : Curtis Miller through to the L16

Beat no 1 American seed Michael Mills15-13

Boo Boo
-5th April 2009, 13:08
On the Ophardt website it shows 09:00 for the Cadet MS and 10:00 for the Cadet WF

Their poules are up.

Today (I am assuming from Asaba's post it is)? Ophardt website doesn't have any results :(

Good luck to all our fencers :)

Boo

stephenda
-5th April 2009, 13:34
MS : Curtis Miller through to the L16

Beat no 1 American seed Michael Mills15-13

Go Curtis!

Hassan
-5th April 2009, 13:41
http://www.247.tv/fencing.php

Live streaming.

TomA
-5th April 2009, 13:42
Ophardt's working for me :confused:

MS

Fotherby out in the poules, Artesi out 15-5 to Li (RUS) in the 64. Miller beat Firat (TUR) 15-6 in the 64, Mills (USA) 15-12 in the 32, before going down to Wrobel (POL) 15-14 in the 16.

WF

Pioli out 15-7 to Ifrim (ROU) in the 64, Hannay out 13-6 to Yasuda (JPN) in the 64, Craig beat Deschuytter (BEL) 15-14 in the 64, and now has Kulhanek (NED) in the 32.

tigger
-5th April 2009, 13:43
Good result for Curtis - narrow 15-14 loss to Wrobel (POL) in 16. Of the much fancied German and Italian teams only the number 3 italian is left in the 8.

And as usual at the world seedings both before and after the pools don't seem to mean much! the number 1, 5, 6, 10, 13, 19, 25 and 34 make up the MS L8

Baldric
-5th April 2009, 13:51
Ophardt's working for me :confused:
Craig beat Deschuytter (BEL) 15-14 in the 64, and now has Kulhanek (NED) in the 32.

Come on Alex!

TomA
-5th April 2009, 14:35
Alex out 15-5.

Still, it's a good result for someone with two years left as a cadet :)

grs
-5th April 2009, 15:09

Live streaming.

Hassan
Thanks for the link:thumbs_up

AussieMongrel
-5th April 2009, 15:45
Well done to Curtis!!!

free spirit
-5th April 2009, 16:08

Live streaming.

Hello there,

Is this live streaming available for the duration and all the events as per scheduled?

ie available for WS tomorrow 9 AM?

Hassan
-5th April 2009, 16:57
This is the main site. Looks like it's blanket coverage and there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Fantastic service...

http://www.247.tv/

elpis
-5th April 2009, 20:42
Where do you get seedings?

elpis
-5th April 2009, 20:54
Figured it out, withdrawing my question :not_worth

But still curious on how do they compose poules?

TomA
-5th April 2009, 22:09
I think it goes like this (for 70 fencers)

1 20 21 40 41 60 61
2 19 22 39 42 59 62
3 18 23 38 43 58 63
4 17 24 37 44 57 64
5 16 25 36 45 56 65
6 15 26 35 46 55 66
7 14 27 34 47 54 67
8 13 28 33 48 53 68
9 12 29 32 49 52 69
10 11 30 31 50 51 70

Essentially, it snakes (though I can't remember whether it goes back from 70 or forward from 1). I think if you have an uneven number the top seeds go into the smaller poules (although I've only seen that with poules of 5 and 6, so might be wrong).

munkey
-5th April 2009, 22:22
Curtis Miller fenced really well in his DEs today and was desperately close in his last 16 fight. He should be really pleased with his performance even if disappointed to lose 15-14.

The American pair in the WF final were scarily mature tactically and Prescod's win in the last 4 against the Russian showed an unbelievable mental strength. She really never looked like she doubted she was going to win. The final itself wasn't terribly exciting because the atmosphere was pancake-flat because it was an all American affair and Prescod won pretty easily but the quality was high.

Not much spectator space in hall 1 where most of the poules were fenced and there did seem to be a bit of a shortage of volunteers with people being press-ganged into doing stuff like ref assistant. The Ophardt team live scores were hard to find around the venue and didn't seem to be working for the first part of the day so it was probably easier to follow what was happening from home.

Those minor gripes aside, a great first day, the venue and particularly the finals hall look good and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the championships. I even saw Jon Milner wearing a tie (although I'm not certain he'd tied it himself)! Poor sod looked knackered.

Munkey

TomA
-5th April 2009, 22:41
I think it goes like this (for 70 fencers)

1 20 21 40 41 60 61
2 19 22 39 42 59 62
3 18 23 38 43 58 63
4 17 24 37 44 57 64
5 16 25 36 45 56 65
6 15 26 35 46 55 66
7 14 27 34 47 54 67
8 13 28 33 48 53 68
9 12 29 32 49 52 69
10 11 30 31 50 51 70

Essentially, it snakes (though I can't remember whether it goes back from 70 or forward from 1). I think if you have an uneven number the top seeds go into the smaller poules (although I've only seen that with poules of 5 and 6, so might be wrong). Just had a think about it properly - it works forward from 1. In poules of 6 and 7 (say 68 fencers) it would go like this:

1 20 21 40 41 60 61
2 19 22 39 42 59 62
3 18 23 38 43 58 63
4 17 24 37 44 57 64
5 16 25 36 45 56 65
6 15 26 35 46 55 66
7 14 27 34 47 54 67
8 13 28 33 48 53 68
9 12 29 32 49 52
10 11 30 31 50 51

So the 9th and 10th seeds would be in the smaller poules. But in poules of 5 and 6 (eg 58 fencers), it goes like this:

1 20 21 40 41
2 19 22 39 42
3 18 23 38 43 58
4 17 24 37 44 57
5 16 25 36 45 56
6 15 26 35 46 55
7 14 27 34 47 54
8 13 28 33 48 53
9 12 29 32 49 52
10 11 30 31 50 51

Putting the 1st and 2nd seeds in the smaller poules

Tubby
-5th April 2009, 23:02
I even saw Jon Milner wearing a tie (although I'm not certain he'd tied it himself)! Poor sod looked knackered. Saw Jon in the Red Panda, he'd gone 26 hours without sleep.

Baldric
-5th April 2009, 23:07
Saw Jon in the Red Panda, he'd gone 26 hours without sleep.

Jon :not_worth

munkey
-5th April 2009, 23:58
Saw Jon in the Red Panda, he'd gone 26 hours without sleep.

Wow, that is hardcore organising!! But I'm sure a Chinese banquet at the Red Panda, a light refreshment at the Crown Bar and a few hours kip and he'll be ready for more tomorrow.

Munkey

TomA
-6th April 2009, 09:57
Rebecca Hopkins 3/6, -3, HS 18
Anna Miles 'Matli 2/6, -12, HS 15
Laura Hunter-Thomas 0/6, -20, HS 10

TomA
-6th April 2009, 11:47
Chris Hay - 4/6, +6, HS 23
Matt Henderson - 3/6, +/-0, HS 21
James Allen - 2/6, -6, HS 22

Anna and Laura both missed the cut, Beckie just lost 15-5 to Egorian (RUS) in the 32.

TomA
-6th April 2009, 13:04
Hay through to the 64 on a bye.
Henderson beat Lovric (CRO)15-13 to make the 64.
Allen beat Tsue (JPN) 15-7 to make the 64.

jjcpf
-6th April 2009, 13:44
Great job Tom keep it coming !!

Lynne
-6th April 2009, 13:45
My gloves gonna fail :'(

Look at your signature! i before e except after c! ;)

See you there matey, good luck! :D

jjcpf
-6th April 2009, 14:27
Any news on the boys cadet epee ?

Lynne
-6th April 2009, 14:33
Chris and James out in the 64. Matthew into 32.

TomA
-6th April 2009, 14:43
Hay out to Kase (SWE) 15-8 in the 64
Henderson beat 10th seed Sokolovski (BLR) 15-10 to make the 32.
Allen out to Bodoczi (GER) 15-11 in the 64.

My keyboard is dying! :'(

TomA
-6th April 2009, 15:30
Matt's on the live stream on the blue piste at the back

TomA
-6th April 2009, 15:40
Henderson out 15-9 to Wolters (GER) in the 32

cesh_fencing
-6th April 2009, 15:43
His opponent just seemed to be very efficient by the looks of it.

A good result for Matt, with 2 DE wins in a row, in other weapons that could have been a L16 with the smaller entries.

At least our cadets seem to have made a step on from the Euros.

Good luck to the Mens Foilists and Womens Epee tomorrow.

Foilling Around
-6th April 2009, 17:09
Watched a few of Kase(SWE) fights on the streaming and he looks better as he goes along. Moves easily attacks like lightening and with a high hand.

Matt Henderson looked tired in his fight (from a distance) with a lot of attacks having a downward trajectory towards the lower torso and being timed out by his opponent's counter with a high hand to the upper arm and torso.

The successful fencers I have watched on the feed do seem to be focussing on a high hand and on the top half of the torso.

Admittedly I am no epeeist and I was watching 2 dimensionally on a feed which was focussed on another fight, but really well done to Matt for getting to the L32

Already some better results for the Cadets than in France.

TomA
-6th April 2009, 17:35
Matt Henderson looked tired in his fight (from a distance) with a lot of attacks having a downward trajectory towards the lower torso and being timed out by his opponent's counter with a high hand to the upper arm and torso. Matt tends to hit with a lower relative hand position generally - he's good at blocking out the line just at the right moment. I think his opponent just had the right timing and speed to get past his guard before the line closed.

The successful fencers I have watched on the feed do seem to be focussing on a high hand and on the top half of the torso.That's fairly true, though I've seen quite a few hits from Kase with a slightly lower hand. Chris was unlucky to get him so early on.

Tubby
-6th April 2009, 21:43
That's fairly true, though I've seen quite a few hits from Kase with a slightly lower hand. Chris was unlucky to get him so early on.Kase went on to get silver and although Chis was unlucky to meet him in the 64 Chris did beat him 5-1 in the pool. I believe Chris was fencing injured against Kase in the DE.

TomA
-6th April 2009, 22:00
Kase went on to get silver and although Chis was unlucky to meet him in the 64 Chris did beat him 5-1 in the pool. I believe Chris was fencing injured against Kase in the DE.Hope he's ok and it isn't serious :(.

Looking at his poule, he also had the eventual winner and 6th place - which also contributed to him getting Kase in the DE.

So much for seeding!

Foilling Around
-7th April 2009, 10:21
Life's Good!

I'm wandering round the house packing to travel to Belfast with my laptop in hand with each of the cadet MF pool "in progress" pages tiles around the screen.

And later I will have an hour to watch the on-line TV before we leave.

What a good Easter.

Fingers crossed that FAJ and the grils make it an even better one tomorrow.

Boo Boo
-7th April 2009, 12:52
WE

Caitlin Chang out in the L32 (after a good result in the poules and beating Strug of Poland 15:12, lost to 7th seed Sun of China 15:8).

Amy Radford bt Fournier of Canada 15:10 to get into the L32. Still waiting to fence Budai of Hungary for a place in the L16.

Rebeccas Thomas didn't make the cut (with one victory and a couple of close 5:4 defeats in the poule).

MF

All 3 made the cut (Alex on 5 victories, Ton and Callum on 2 each)

DEs haven't started yet:
- Alex (16th seed) fences Ullman (ISR)
- Tom (50th seed) fences Li (CHN)
- Callum (51st seed) fences Nemeth (HUN)

Good luck to Amy in her L32 and the boys in their L64 fights.

Boo

TomA
-7th April 2009, 13:16
Amy out 15-7.

Still, it's much improved on the Europeans, and like Alex she's got another 2 seasons as a cadet.

pigeonmeister
-7th April 2009, 13:37
Any chance we will get to see some MF on the streaming!

munkey
-7th April 2009, 13:39
Callum out 15-7. Tofi 6-1 up.

husy
-7th April 2009, 13:41
Thomas allen just came out on his first DE 15-0, ouch!!

munkey
-7th April 2009, 13:47
Alex T wins 15-10.

TomA
-7th April 2009, 13:48
Any chance we will get to see some MF on the streaming! Guessing it will be on from the 32 onwards - or at least, that's been the case with the other weapons.

Btw anyone wishing to watch the streaming, I suggest you go to the site now and register quickly - apart from the first 500 users, everyone else gets charged £1 to cover bandwidth.

Boo Boo
-7th April 2009, 15:29
Thomas allen just came out on his first DE 15-0, ouch!!

Against a Chinese fencer. Caitlin also went out to a Chinese fencer in the WE. Can be a bit of an unknown force - since they don't do cadet A-grades and just "appear" at the World Championships.

Alex looking good in his L32 fight - up 12:7 against Toldo (BRA). Winner gets first seed - Garozzo (ITA).

(just seen the photo of Toldo - he looks about 6 years old in that photo :eek: )

Boo

Boo Boo
-7th April 2009, 15:34
Well done Alex - into the L16 :)

Boo

pinkelephant
-7th April 2009, 15:39
If you're watching live, the little Japanese boy on the red piste now is only 14. He took out a Russian lad about twice his size in the L64.

Rob.Leicester
-7th April 2009, 16:10
That Japanese fella is going to be someone to watch out for in a few years if he really is only 14 :O

pigeonmeister
-7th April 2009, 16:32
Alex about to go on, but unfortunately on the piste not covered by the camera stream.

Good luck anyway

Rob.Leicester
-7th April 2009, 16:50
From what I can see, Alex is 8 - 10 down at the end of the Second period, he was 4 - 8 down at one point I believe so great work there.

Rob.Leicester
-7th April 2009, 16:56
Went to time :(
Alex out 8 - 13

TomA
-7th April 2009, 16:58
Alex out 13-8 to Garozzo (ITA).

The referee called non-combativity at the start of the third period (he'd out-scored Garozzo in the second period), so he was forced to rush it, I guess.

Great work against the defending champion and 1st seed though

Boo Boo
-7th April 2009, 17:07
Great work against the defending champion and 1st seed though

Very - sounds like he was in touch all of the way.

Boo

Tubby
-7th April 2009, 21:14
Against a Chinese fencer. Caitlin also went out to a Chinese fencer in the WE. Can be a bit of an unknown force - since they don't do cadet A-grades and just "appear" at the World Championships. A known force. At 6ft 2 or 3 inches she is apparently in the senior Chinese squad.

Very - sounds like he was in touch all of the way.

BooIt would seem that the Italian coach directed his fencer to go for the non-combativity. A sign of respect for Alex.

Boo Boo
-7th April 2009, 21:16
A known force. At 6ft 2 or 3 inches she is apparently in the senior Chinese squad.

Goodness me! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It would seem that the Italian coach directed his fencer to go for the non-combativity. A sign of respect for Alex.

Definitely.

Boo

Libby
-8th April 2009, 08:29
I hope you are all following the blog as well as the forum and the live scores and the tv and all the other info we are flinging out there for your convenience!

Links to heaps of photos on the blog and I'll be uploading heaps more throughout the day.

You can also sign up for email updates from the blog so shortly after each round finishes you can get the info you need from the comfort of your own inbox.

Enjoy!

AussieMongrel
-8th April 2009, 11:02
And the adress of the blog is??????

stephenda
-8th April 2009, 11:04
And the adress of the blog is??????

http://www.worldfencing2009.blogspot.com/ (http://www.worldfencing2009.blogspot.com/)

fa266
-8th April 2009, 11:15
Very excited about the junior women's sabre tomorrow:

Besbes, Kharlan, Zhovnir, Limbach, Berder, Askamit, Vloka, Benko, Reko, Gavrilova...

What a line up!!! Best of luck to the GB girls!

munkey
-8th April 2009, 11:45
GB girly foilists: Catriona Sibert 4 up 2 down, Lisa McKenzie 3 and 3, Phillips Mullins 2 up 4 down. Poules still going.

Munkey

pigeonmeister
-8th April 2009, 12:08
Well done to the Girls.

Wouldn't say reporting is exactly up there with twitter in terms of up being up to the minute! The website results sections has crashed and the blog has not been updated since the MS poules- Are all our MS out? I saw Ratnaswaran go out but I think Crutchett won his DE.

TomA
-8th April 2009, 12:13
Ratneswaran bye through to the 64, where he went out to Nikitin (UKR) 15-10.
Crutchett beat Guzenski (BRA) 15-4 to make the 64, now has Szilagyi (HUN) (oh boy).

All the results are on Ophardt.

free spirit
-8th April 2009, 12:14
Well done to the Girls.

Wouldn't say reporting is exactly up there with twitter in terms of up being up to the minute! The website results sections has crashed and the blog has not been updated since the MS poules- Are all our MS out? I saw Ratnaswaran go out but I think Crutchett won his DE.

Yes all out. Crutchett lost to HUN on his second DE. Regrettably the last points were not available to view which made for a frustrating end to the last GB MS fight.

Well done to all Junior fencers participating and good luck to the ones still going strong.

Boo Boo
-8th April 2009, 12:14
GB girly foilists: Catriona Sibert 4 up 2 down, Lisa McKenzie 3 and 3, Phillips Mullins 2 up 4 down. Poules still going.

Munkey

Good luck girls! And best wishes to the JMS too.

Boo

pigeonmeister
-8th April 2009, 12:19
Ratneswaran bye through to the 64, where he went out to Nikitin (UKR) 15-10.
Crutchett beat Guzenski (BRA) 15-4 to make the 64, now has Szilagyi (HUN) (oh boy).

All the results are on Ophardt.

Thank you. Good effort by all. I watched Ratneswaran's fight- did well to bring it back to about 10 all (If I recall) but then seemed to totally lose his head and concede 4-5 fairly meek hits in a row.

Good luck to the girls!

Lynne
-8th April 2009, 12:49
Yes all out. Crutchett lost to HUN on his second DE. Regrettably the last points were not available to view which made for a frustrating end to the last GB MS fight.

Well done to all Junior fencers participating and good luck to the ones still going strong.

He kept it close to 13 all and then lost the last 2 hits - 1st was a double light and 2nd a single I think. Looked like a good fight from the live feed.

TomA
-8th April 2009, 12:49
13-15 against Szilagyi - who's ranked 16th in the world at senior level and 7th at Junior level, and who knocked Alex O'Connell out last year.

munkey
-8th April 2009, 13:27
Lisa McKenzie out 15-7 to Polish girl.

cesh_fencing
-8th April 2009, 13:36
Lisa McKenzie out 15-7 to Polish girl.

I have watched Marta and her sister at club in Gdansk. Lisa had a very nasty draw which is a shame.

munkey
-8th April 2009, 13:55
Phillipa out 15-7 to Egyptian.

munkey
-8th April 2009, 14:11
Catriona Sibert out to poorly-looking Greek 15-13. One that got away...

Munkey

Boo Boo
-8th April 2009, 15:23
I was watching the scores on Catriona's fight... looked VERY close/tense.

Good luck to the girls in the team event and everyone else left to fence too.

Boo

pigeonmeister
-8th April 2009, 16:15
I see that the Italians are wearing black armbands in respect for those killed by the earthquake. Nice gesture.

Skartha
-8th April 2009, 18:36
Great to have the stream. Just watching the first MS semi-final - bloody hell, that Homer lad is fast!

pinkelephant
-8th April 2009, 19:35
I see that the Italians are wearing black armbands in respect for those killed by the earthquake. Nice gesture.

Apparently today is a national day of mourning in Italy. We had a minute's silence before the finals last night as well.

StabInTheDark
-8th April 2009, 20:24
Does anyone know what happened in the WF Volpi vs Batini match? Volpi won 15:1 within the first time period - she must have been on form today to defeat Prescod earlier, but really......

Boo Boo
-8th April 2009, 20:27
Apparently today is a national day of mourning in Italy. We had a minute's silence before the finals last night as well.

Very sad :(

Does anyone know if there were some disqualifications in the JWF today? The results seem to be complete, but there are 5 "unplaced fencers" at the bottom of the classifications (including the 1st seed and the Eqyptian who knocked Philippa out). A bit confusing.

Boo

munkey
-8th April 2009, 21:30
Does anyone know what happened in the WF Volpi vs Batini match? Volpi won 15:1 within the first time period

Call it a simplistic summary but basically Volpi was all over Batini and everything worked for Volpi while nothing worked for Batini. When Batini scored her first and last hit to make it 10-1 the crowd cheered and she acknowledged it. She was in tears at the end. A terrible time and place to have a truly awful performance.

Munkey

Tubby
-8th April 2009, 22:37
the semi was a difficult watch (and not just because it was WF)

Foilling Around
-9th April 2009, 00:36

Does anyone know if there were some disqualifications in the JWF today? The results seem to be complete, but there are 5 "unplaced fencers" at the bottom of the classifications (including the 1st seed and the Eqyptian who knocked Philippa out). A bit confusing.

Boo

Don't know what happened to the Ophardt results, but the results on the FIE website show all the fencers including those 5.

On the subject of Batini/Volpi, something strange was going on.

When Batini scored her first hit the cheer from the crowded was greeted with a single fingered acknowledgement (at least that is what it looked like without the benefit of a slow motion replay) If I am right that should be a black card.

Italian coaches were conspicuous by their absence during the entire bout and Batini was fencing totally differently to when she beat FAJ in the poule. I hope she just out of sorts or ill because the alternative is that she meant to fence that way.

Munkey - Yes, one that got away and should have been won. But the Greek was obviously not well and did not react like you would expect an international fencer to react. She fenced within her limitations and although FAJ made mistakes, the Greek went on to take 10 hits off the number 2 seed in the L32 before going out.

Can I also say that considering there were no Junior WF at all last year, at least they all made it out of the poules, even if they have a long way to go to compete at the top in world terms.

grs
-9th April 2009, 00:42
Does anyone know what happened in the WF Volpi vs Batini match? Volpi won 15:1 within the first time period - she must have been on form today to defeat Prescod earlier, but really......

Just got back from Belfast. The Volpi vs Batini match was 'interesting' Batini fencing reasonably well all day, except for this match. Interestingly there were no Italian coaches supporting this match. (Not the case in the Europeans when two Italians fenced against each other - each fencer had an abundance of coaches). The coaches were conspicuous by their absence? The plot thickens!!

munkey
-9th April 2009, 01:42
Interestingly there were no Italian coaches supporting this match. (Not the case in the Europeans when two Italians fenced against each other - each fencer had an abundance of coaches). The coaches were conspicuous by their absence? The plot thickens!!

Was the same in the cadet men's foil final (Nista v Luperi). No coach in either corner. Cerioni has, AFAIK, been the only Italian foil coach at piste-side during DE fights.

Munkey

german_fencer
-9th April 2009, 09:23
Very excited about the junior women's sabre tomorrow:

... Limbach, ...

What a line up!!! Best of luck to the GB girls!

Anybody knows whats wrong with her? Injury? I was wondering why she's fencing so poor, now she ist out?!

Foilling Around
-9th April 2009, 10:23
Speaking of Germans, why were there no German girls in the Junior WF yesterday?

AussieMongrel
-9th April 2009, 10:28
Does anyone know where I can watch any videos of the mens sabre from yesterday?

german_fencer
-9th April 2009, 10:51
Speaking of Germans, why were there no German girls in the Junior WF yesterday?

Because not one of them meet the criteria. Really sad... There is a big problem in education and promotion of young fencers... Similiar in MF, only one junior fencer nominated.

Lynne
-9th April 2009, 11:26

Boo

If you got an "older" version of the page, it may have been that they were still in? Only fencer who have been knocked out are seeded on the ophardt pages.

pinkelephant
-9th April 2009, 11:36
Batini looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights - I think the occasion simply got to her. Cerioni was consoling her afterwards - she was distraught. It certainly wasn't a one-fingered gesture - it was just an acknowledgement of the cheers. Every fight which has had two of the same nationality has been very flat, with no coaches - this applies to the USA v USA cadet WF final as well.

german_fencer
-9th April 2009, 12:42
Bujdoso is out in L32, not the best day for "us" until now...

Gav
-9th April 2009, 13:15
Does anyone know where I can watch any videos of the mens sabre from yesterday?

According to the page they will be allowing repeat viewings after the event has ended.

rugmike
-9th April 2009, 14:42
Every fight which has had two of the same nationality has been very flat, with no coaches - this applies to the USA v USA cadet WF final as well.

At International sabre events, e.g. Kenton, it used to be the tradition, when two Brit's fought each other, neither recieved coach assistance, but I don't know if this

a) still stands,

or

b) applied if you had a "personal" coach,

or

c) would apply at the level of the Worlds.

Perhaps this practice was in play with other nations on the occasions highlighted in Belfast ?
I'd have thought that on moments like this each fencer needs all the help you can get, perhaps even more so than usual, never mind tradition !

Praps someone out there knows if this was/is the case ?

StabInTheDark
-9th April 2009, 14:54
At International sabre events, e.g. Kenton, it used to be the tradition, when two Brit's fought each other, neither recieved coach assistance, but I don't know if this

a) still stands,

or

or

Perhaps this practice was in play with other nations on the occasions highlighted in Belfast ?
I'd have thought that on moments like this each fencer needs all the help you can get, perhaps even more so than usual, never mind tradition !

At last year's European Cadets, the point was made from the team management that when there was a GBR vs GBR match there would be no team coach input, and personal coach input was not regarded as being acceptable sportsmanship during the bout itself, although it was accepted that demonstrations of parental support from outside the fencing area was something that cold not be ruled out.

Team management and coaches can not be seen to favour one fencer over another for obvious reasons, at least the way we have it set up (unlike FRA and ITA where personal coaches take on more of a role in the national team managment I believe).

It is a question of sportsmanship not rules, otherwise.

pigeonmeister
-9th April 2009, 15:09

a) still stands,

or

or

From what the footage I have seen, when Italians fence each other then neither gets coaching- at all levels.

Re-Munkey: I have seen another Italian coach piste side apart from Cerioni

pigeonmeister
-9th April 2009, 15:18
White now fencing on the live stream! First GBR fencer to do so I believe. 2-0 down.

pinkelephant
-9th April 2009, 15:27
There was an astonishing number of reversals of seeding in the ME L64.

Cottontail
-9th April 2009, 16:49
At last year's European Cadets, the point was made from the team management that when there was a GBR vs GBR match there would be no team coach input....
Team management and coaches can not be seen to favour one fencer over another for obvious reasons......

2-3 years ago at an event where an England team was competing a semi found two English fencers facing each other. At the break a team coach gave advice to one of the fencers (he was not a personal coach). This advice appeared to turn the event and was regarded by the other fencer as being somewhat unfair. It also resulted in the extreme fury of the team manager.

Hopefully it wouldn't happen again.

Foilling Around
-9th April 2009, 17:35
Because not one of the German WF Juniors meet the criteria. Really sad... There is a big problem in education and promotion of young fencers... Similiar in MF, only one junior fencer nominated.

Looking at the FIE rankings I see what you mean. Romanus and Ardaunov seem to have really lost it recently and the younger ones have not quite made it through the system.

I watched Ardaunov go out early in Bratislava last October and the tounge lashing she got from her coach lasted for the whole of the next DE bout on the piste!

Foilling Around
-9th April 2009, 17:40
There was an astonishing number of reversals of seeding in the ME L64.

Which simply goes to show that epee is a lottery! :whistle:

anothermum
-9th April 2009, 18:43
Have just looked at the poules for tomorrow and in men's foil they have 177 entries with 84 qualifiers and in women's epee 158 entries with 74 qualifiers - that seems like over 50% cut - other weapons have been about 30%.
Am I missing something?

pinkelephant
-9th April 2009, 18:52
Have just looked at the poules for tomorrow and in men's foil they have 177 entries with 84 qualifiers and in women's epee 158 entries with 74 qualifiers - that seems like over 50% cut - other weapons have been about 30%.
Am I missing something?

Numbers are 116 in MF and 102 in WE. Qualifying numbers are correct. I've told the lovely man from Ophardt and he's going to sort the website out. If you look at fencers at the start rather than the formula it is correct.

anothermum
-9th April 2009, 22:02
Thank you Pink Elephant!

Red
-10th April 2009, 14:44
All JWE out in the L64 having had byes to it and won 3 or 4 poule fights each.
JMF - Rhys out in L128 15/12 to a Ukrainian, Ed beat a Swede 15/8 in the L128 and then a Spaniard 15/4. Mepstead had a bye to the L64 and went out to a Chinese 14/10.
Ed has Choi (HKG) in the L32.

Only one other junior has got this far this year (along with 7 cadets, 2 of which got to the L16), with any luck he can go further.

pigeonmeister
-10th April 2009, 14:57
What's this about two red cards for dissent in Rhys' 128- including last hit?

I assume these were objections to some bad calls...

rory
-10th April 2009, 15:59
Been watching the live scores.

Ed's made good work of his L32 fight, winning 15-7 and always in the lead since about 3-3.

Fingers crossed for the 16.

Red
-10th April 2009, 17:10
So far it's a similar story. Got to 3/3 and has always been ahead. End of second period and he's 9/6 up.

husy
-10th April 2009, 17:20
Ed is through to last 8!!

Red
-10th April 2009, 17:20
And he's into the L8 15/12.

Fascinating that the best result by far has come from somebody that's been on the Pathway since the beginning.

Skartha
-10th April 2009, 17:21
Well done Ed - 15-12 win and into the L8. Tense finish after him being 12-6 up at one point. I was worried that the Scottish instinct for 'glorious failure' was going to kick in! :D

pigeonmeister
-10th April 2009, 17:24
Massive comeback against Ed- from 12-7 up down to 13-12. Then a big decision, after taking at least two mins checking replay, to put ed up 14-12. Then he finished it off.

Quality stuff- Chamley Watson is no.9 in the world.

Now he fences winner of Lee and Gatai (no.13 in world) for a possible medal. Good luck!

pigeonmeister
-10th April 2009, 18:09
5-1 up against Lee...finger's crossed

Skartha
-10th April 2009, 18:16
Period 2 finished...8-4 to the good.

Come on son, keep the heid. Wish he was on the stream, it seems to be avoiding him.

Edit: heh, I can hear the cheers, though.

husy
-10th April 2009, 18:26
ed just won 11-10, come on ed!!! He is now in the semi-final.

Red
-10th April 2009, 18:27
11/10 in priority minute.

According to the FIE*, this is GBR's first ever junior men's world medal (second overall thanks to LBW's 2nd place in 2002).

This is huge.

*Admittedly results are only available from 1956 onwards

pigeonmeister
-10th April 2009, 18:28
Yes! He's won it in extra time!

That was tense stuff- but our first medal in junior U20s for how long? Is it Ben Montague in the late 90s or am I missing something obvious?

Rob.Leicester
-10th April 2009, 18:29
Dammit I need to drive down to Leicester but I can't leave before I see how well Ed does. Go on Ed!!

husy
-10th April 2009, 18:32
so far:

Ben Montague Bronze Cadets
Hysan Rosowsky Bronze Cadets
Ed Jeffries Top 4 (still waiting) Juniors

Red
-10th April 2009, 18:33
Yes! He's won it in extra time!

That was tense stuff- but our first medal in junior U20s for how long? Is it Ben Montague in the late 90s or am I missing something obvious?

According to the FIE, his best result at the worlds was 13th in 2000.

Skartha
-10th April 2009, 18:39
Give that man a knighthood! Are the mainstream media being informed?

Red
-10th April 2009, 18:42
Meinhardt might be a bit tricky. 14th in the world at senior MF and finished 10th in Beijing...

TomA
-10th April 2009, 18:49
Meinhardt might be a bit tricky. 14th in the world at senior MF and finished 10th in Beijing...Marcus Mepstead beat him last year at Burgsteinfurt though, so he's not unstoppable.

Funny how 3 of the 4 semi finalists started in the 'wrong' half of the 64, and how many overturns there have been at the championships as a whole - maybe having a 128 DE gets them in gear for subsequent fights? Of course, it could just be that seeding means nothing at world championships as everyone is good!

Red
-10th April 2009, 18:57
People were talking about this earlier, I guess part of the problem is that not everyone can get out onto the Junior Circuit because its pretty Euro-centric so some Korean, Japanese, American and Chinese fencers who are doubtless world class haven't had the chance to get the ranking they deserve because they simply can't afford to make it to the world cups.

And therefore get a rubbish seeding going into the poules where they upset 'better' people who themselves get a rubbish seeding going into DE.

TomA
-10th April 2009, 19:45
Ed 6-3 up at 1st break

husy
-10th April 2009, 19:45
6-3 to ed after first break!!

Rob.Leicester
-10th April 2009, 19:47
Atmosphere there sounds amazing. The whole team is really behind Ed

Red
-10th April 2009, 19:50
Seems like he's managing to maintain a 5 hit lead quite nicely...

Edit - spoke too soon...

Edit 2 - or maybe I didn't...

husy
-10th April 2009, 19:54
ed has just won 15-13!!!

Rob.Leicester
-10th April 2009, 19:55
15 - 13!!
Ed wins it, brilliant match.

TomA
Ed wins 15-13 despite a comeback from Meinhardt from 13-8 down :D

rory
Nice one Ed!
One more to go.

Red
14/12
14/13
And one light to win!

Already the best ever Junior men's result - can he go one better than LBW in 2002?

Gav
-10th April 2009, 19:57
I think this might be the first time I've seen a GB fencer make the final of a fencing tournament on TV!

grizz
-10th April 2009, 19:58
Go Ed!!!!!!!!

Jed

Spider5
-10th April 2009, 20:16
Very nicely done so far!

husy
-10th April 2009, 20:23
Edward just lost 13-15

rory
-10th April 2009, 20:24
Ed loses 15-13.
2nd.

When Jamie introduced me to Ed at a training camp at Honved about ten years ago and said "he's one of mine, he's good", I didn't realise how good he'd get!

Totally deserved.

husy
-10th April 2009, 20:24
very very close and unlucky!!, but hey first SILVER WORLD JUNIOR MEDAL!!!!

Red
-10th April 2009, 20:26
very very close and unlucky!!, but hey first SILVER WORLD JUNIOR MEDAL!!!!

Slightly wrong.

First Men's Junior World medal of any colour - Ever.

grs
-10th April 2009, 20:26
Fantastic. Well done Ed.
:)

SAD
-10th April 2009, 20:29
fantastic result well done! but to those that are not old enough to remember Rob Bruniges actually won a junior worlds BUT NOT to take away the result for ED. Is this a direct result of funding?

Hoboneer
-10th April 2009, 20:32
Congrats ed, awesome stuff :)

Red
-10th April 2009, 20:43
fantastic result well done! but to those that are not old enough to remember Rob Bruniges actually won a junior worlds BUT NOT to take away the result for ED. Is this a direct result of funding?

Alright then, how does 'best men's junior result for at least 54 years' sound?

Spider5
-10th April 2009, 20:55
Rob won the World Youth Foil Championships in 1976.

Anyhow, it's an excellent result. Even more so from someone who started well outside the orbit of the larger clubs, even those within Scotland. No doubt the pathway has helped enormously but I think at least some credit should be due to Karl at Dingwall.

Baldric
-10th April 2009, 20:56
Regardless of the history:

Well Done ED!

Boo Boo
-10th April 2009, 21:04
Alright then, how does 'best men's junior result for at least 54 years' sound?

I think that Rob Bruniges might be a little upset... Since that would make him over 70 years old... :eek: ;)

Very well done Ed - absolutely sensational result :)

Shame about the WE (VERY competitive weapon - since all GB girls had good poule results) and the other MF (the other two are both medal potential too - so hopefully will bode well for the MF team).

Good luck to everyone in the team events - very exciting to have teams competing in all weapons :)

Boo

Spider5
-10th April 2009, 21:14
I think that Rob Bruniges might be a little upset... Since that would make him over 70 years old... :eek: ;)

Very well done Ed - absolutely sensational result :)

Shame about the WE (VERY competitive weapon - since all GB girls had good poule results) and the other MF (the other two are both medal potential too - so hopefully will bode well for the MF team).

Good luck to everyone in the team events - very exciting to have teams competing in all weapons :)

Boo

Mind you, Rob does look over 70...........

Teams? In all weapons?! Tell us more! :)

Boo Boo
-10th April 2009, 21:40
Mind you, Rob does look over 70...........

Teams? In all weapons?! Tell us more! :)

(I hope that Rob doesn't read this forum! :eek: ;) ).

Great that the BF Board did take the chance to select teams for all weapons: I am sure that they are not regretting that :). It must be a great atmosphere :)

Boo

Red
-10th April 2009, 21:42
Rob won the World Youth Foil Championships in 1976.

Anyhow, it's an excellent result. Even more so from someone who started well outside the orbit of the larger clubs, even those within Scotland. No doubt the pathway has helped enormously but I think at least some credit should be due to Karl at Dingwall.

Apparently for Germany according to the FIE, hence why I missed him - http://www.fie.ch/download/en%20bref/fr/Resultats%20CHM%20J.pdf

Historical points aside, the result is still an enormous one.

Spider5
-10th April 2009, 21:54
(I hope that Rob doesn't read this forum! :eek: ;) ).

Great that the BF Board did take the chance to select teams for all weapons: I am sure that they are not regretting that :). It must be a great atmosphere :)

Boo

I'm banking on it........ :whistle:

Indeed, it would have been a shame if the atmosphere generated by a great result on home turf were to dissipate. Should be good.

Foilling Around
-10th April 2009, 22:24
Bl**dy Ed Jefferies!

We set off for the venue this morning and I said to the Mrs, "don't worry luv, I just want to see the poules then we can do a sightseeing bus"

So after the poules and seeing poor Rhys and Marcus go out she said "tell you what, just wait until Ed goes out and then we can go into town"

Well, does she regret saying that now!

6 hours and very hoarse voices later I videoed the medal ceremony.

Bl**dy (as I said above) but Bl**dy Brilliant!!!

Ed and Ziemek had plans, they adapted those plans on the piste and at the breaks. Ed had his emotions under control, even when he thought he got rough breaks from the referees. He lost focus at various times in fights, but always refrained from panic and got back on track. Even in the final, when Lari executed his own plan superbly at the start, Ed did not panic, but adapted and clawed his way back. Just not far enough - is all!!

Other fencers take note. Commited application of tactics.

Boo Boo
-10th April 2009, 23:21
There is no pleasing some people... ;) :grin:

Tubby
-11th April 2009, 09:16
Can't speak this morning, think I may have strained something last night ...

nippy sweetie
-11th April 2009, 09:55
Wow! Fantastic result. There will be some proud parents out there!...........and fencers, officials, helpers and the Great British Public if they ever hear about it. This is surely something British Fencing can capitalise on?
Well done Ed. Be proud, be very proud!

fenderstrat
-11th April 2009, 10:27
Where are the results posted?

rugmike
-11th April 2009, 10:35

Their poules are up.

As above - but it seems to be having a seize up at the moment as far as the in progress and report goes./....................

rugmike
-11th April 2009, 10:46
Or to be more complet....................

........................but they are definitely on a tea-break right now ..................

However..............

MS beat Turky 45 - 33, into 16 , then out to Hungry - but No.1 v. No. 16 was an ask, still, 35-45 was a lot better than a poke in the eye.......

Well done Alex, Mai and Nat.

fenderstrat
-11th April 2009, 10:59
Cheers ruggy.

munkey
-11th April 2009, 13:37
Spain providing the shocks in MS putting out Russia and Ukraine before narrowly losing to Korea in the last 4. And Egypt beat Hungary in the WF!

There's an interview with Keith Smith on the blog. Quite interesting!

Munkey

rugmike
-11th April 2009, 16:38
Yes, vairy interesting.........

Absolutely, if you take the credit when things go right, you must be prepared to take the opposite when things go wrong.

By the by, if it is possible for some criticism to be uninformed, is it possible for some credit to be uninformed ?

Hmmmm............

fenderstrat
-11th April 2009, 18:12
There's an interview with Keith Smith on the blog. Quite interesting!

Where is this blog of which you speak?

munkey
-11th April 2009, 18:20
Where is this blog of which you speak?

www.worldfencing2009.blogspot.com

Munkey

fenderstrat
-11th April 2009, 18:27
Ta, Munkey.

MikeODonnell
-11th April 2009, 18:40
We watched Ed via the video streaming in the semis and the final from the comfort of our living room in Scotland - the whole family glued to the front of the laptop. We were clapping and shouting as though we were actually there - what a fabulous achievement, we were all so proud of him!

Chuffed to the gutties!!!

All the hard work and commitment pays dividends in the end.

Well Done.

Lynne
-11th April 2009, 18:47
What's this about two red cards for dissent in Rhys' 128- including last hit?

I assume these were objections to some bad calls...

Initial yellow card was justified - questioned the ref about a decision. Two red cards (including the second which lost him the fight) were not. Ref lost control of the fight, and even had the crowd moved back from the barriers at one point. Not a happy fight. Referee also mad a run for it and Rhys had to chase after him to be able to shake his hand.

Lynne
-11th April 2009, 18:56
Oops, lost part of the post!

So pleased for Ed - he's worked so hard over the last couple of years - brilliant result! :not_worth

Also, should say "made" not "mad" above!! Oops again. :(

Lynne
-13th April 2009, 09:05
Well done to the girlie epéeists - beat SUI 45 - 36. :thumbs_up

Tubby
-13th April 2009, 09:39
Two of Imofh's fights were stopped for non-combativity.

PM1
-13th April 2009, 14:18
...and the end is nigh....
First time on the web since i've been over here. Not seen much fencing, but did see Ed from his last 8 fight onwards - incredible noise !! So very well done !!!

Much quieter here today, and as I type this, the smaller of the outer halls has been stripped out. Accreditation has gorn too.

I THINK I still speak English, but we are so clattered, sometimes it's hard to be sure...

munkey
-13th April 2009, 16:23
Another interview on the blog this time with Ed. What a nice young man!

www.worldfencing2009.blogspot.com

Munkey

nippy sweetie
-15th April 2009, 09:43
Is it safe to assume that all went well from an organisational point of view? There was so much worry about shortage of volunteers etc. However, there has been no mention of any problems with the running of the event so maybe it was fine after all? I dare say stories will emerge!

pinkelephant
-15th April 2009, 09:56
Rochelle and Maggie did the most amazing job of deploying the volunteers they had - and of keeping the officials supplied with coffee etc. And I never heard either of them snap at anybody once.

Australian
-15th April 2009, 10:12
Rochelle and Maggie did the most amazing job of deploying the volunteers they had - and of keeping the officials supplied with coffee etc. And I never heard either of them snap at anybody once.

give them both a medal.

nippy sweetie
-15th April 2009, 11:59
Sounds like medals due to more than two!

Barry Paul
-15th April 2009, 16:36
Is it safe to assume that all went well from an organisational point of view? There was so much worry about shortage of volunteers etc. However, there has been no mention of any problems with the running of the event so maybe it was fine after all? I dare say stories will emerge!

Some of the volunteers deserve life long membership of B.F. as well as a medal.

Problems with running the event? As long as the F.I.E. members have their transport and five star hotel not sure if many of them would notice how it was going.

As for the fencers once again the wireless system was some what less than perfect. What ever any ones say, wireless epee is temperamental and unreliable. The day I arrived I had to complement Ian Hunter, who was refereeing, on how well the new wireless system worked but was not sure if they had mastered the wireless bit as the spool wires were visible.

One epee bout took 40 minutes before they gave up and reverted to spools. This is totally unfair on the fencers. Every one knows the system is on a knife edge all the time but the F.I.E. insist on using it. I cannot wait till they try it at a senior world champs with a couple of Italian and German fencers who start losing hits.

cesh_fencing
-15th April 2009, 17:07
Great event and only possible with all the different event partners working together.

The finals hall set up was very nice and looked up to the level of any World/European championships I have been to previously and the web streaming service was great to watch from home.

Compliments to the organising committee, volunteers, Allstar/Uhlmann and everyone whether individual or company involved.

Shame that LP did not join PBT in having an outlet at the event as it is always good to see all the International kit retailers in one place.

Tubby
-15th April 2009, 18:44
give them both a medal.I would very much like to think that that is a real consideration. From a spectator point of view this was a spectacular championships (though I suspect budget meant that undressed red crowd control barriers had to be used in the finals hall). Running to time and apparently in control in all aspects. Behind the scenes there was real pressure on people multi-tasking to pull the whole thing together. Which I sincerely believe they did.

I have seen this event from more than one perspective and the only thing I'm prepared to be critical about is the lack of coach access to pistes 2, 3, 4 during the poules on the larger entry days. Which I know hardly compares to the trampet like pistes served up in Acireale or sloping pistes in Bourges or a leaking tent roof in Korea so I'm being churlish. Food provision on the first Sunday and last Monday were only adequate (as the cafes were closed on these days, I don't know about other days).

I'd love to see what Uhlmann Allstar bid to have the shop in the finals hall. Poor PBT hardly had a sniff.

I do wonder though as to the two young girls dance troupes served up for the FIE's entertainment - is this a standing request from the FIE or just what people think the FIE want to see at opening ceremonies?

Australian
-15th April 2009, 18:58
What ever any ones say, wireless epee is temperamental and unreliable.

Which pocket did you keep the jammer in Barry? ;)

Saxon
-15th April 2009, 22:12

Not such a joke. (Not Barry of course!)

I was told that all the wireless kit was identifiable on Bluetooth (didn't get round to testing it myself). Dependent on the implementation this has been known to have security and reliability issues, never mind the interface with the fencing kit itself.

Barry Paul
-16th April 2009, 10:25

Fortunately (for me not the fencers) after I left problems still occurred in the epee teams with Fencers having to strip down to replace faulty wireless equipment, so you can't blame me.

At the cost of 32,000 euro the equipment should have worked.