PDA

View Full Version : C4 to televise BUCS Finals

pigeonmeister
-30th January 2009, 10:39
I read yesterday in the Birmingham Uni newspaper, Redbrick, that Channel 4 are planning to cover the BUSA finals in Sheffied- with special emphasis on the Olympic sports. Hopefully this will mean a bit of student fencing!

Of course, the scope and nature of the coverage remains to be seen...

p.s well done to both Brum teams for pinching 2nd place on the last day of the season!

Gangsta G
-30th January 2009, 12:40
p.s well done to both Brum teams for pinching 2nd place on the last day of the season!The men's team pinched second - the women finished first!

Lucan
-30th January 2009, 22:12
Is there no more you can tell the rest of us about this?

Rob.Leicester
-31st January 2009, 01:01
Thank God Leicester won't be there then, they'd wouldn't be able to broadcast til after midnight :eek:

Bayston
-31st January 2009, 03:41
But they say that they will be televising the event there are many different sports over those few days and only a little broadcasting time. Personally I feel that the fencing will not get that much coverage which is a shame. If only BUCS were able to film the entire fencing matche and perhaps podcast it or stream it live??

TLove
-31st January 2009, 15:53
Well, I'm sure they're able to. The will to do it is a different thing.

I'm sure that if we wanted it podcasted, a student with a video camera and knowledge of such things could do the job :o

IainW
-3rd February 2009, 12:54
The men's team pinched second - the women finished first!

Er the men got 3rd, the women got 2nd.

They tied on wins with edinburgh (both of them) and as per BUCs regs the teams are separated according to aggregate score over their matches against each other. Edinburgh men won twice against birmingham, and the women won overall.

On the BUCs site it says C4 are focusing on athletes with potential to compete in 2012 - so surely there are a few fencers there they'll want to cover? Should get some coverage at least.

pigeonmeister
-3rd February 2009, 13:07
My bad- I believed that the league was done on 'hits difference'. Our indicators were better but, as you say, they beat us in our matches..so well done to them. I believe we have them in the cup now.

Anyway, I gues that people like Alex O'C will be in the frame. Not immediately sure who else...

MatFink
-3rd February 2009, 13:38
I may be incorrect but atleast for then men I believe this to be the match up with the most 'funded' fencers/fencers with Olympic potential.

Still only tally 4 across the two teams but with many of our pathway athletes having to choose fencing over education its still not bad.

That said there are some really strong teams this year so its possible we might have a final without any of our 2012 fencers respresented.

Of course given my personal loyalties I am rather hoping that at least one of the above teams does the job for the second year running. :)

Bayston
-3rd February 2009, 16:24
Here are the links to the tableu for this years BUCS knockout matches!

Men's Championship
http://www.bucs.org.uk/fl/cup06.asp?divisionid=15079 (http://www.bucs.org.uk/fl/cup06.asp?divisionid=15079)
Women's Championship
http://www.bucs.org.uk/fl/cup06.asp?divisionid=15082
Men's Trophey
http://www.bucs.org.uk/fl/cup06.asp?divisionid=15083
Women's Trophey
http://www.bucs.org.uk/fl/cup06.asp?divisionid=15080

yong
-5th March 2009, 15:03
Heard about this from different sources, so we might see some cameras.

Not that this TV thing matters, but we won against the Welsh to go to the finals in Sheffield!!!! Woo Hoo!

ULU RULES!! :)

TLove
-5th March 2009, 16:19
Indeed we did. ULU does, in fact, rule.

If I have my new bike up and running, I'll be there as designated 'team manager' :)

Dalesman
-5th March 2009, 18:34
Indeed we did. ULU does, in fact, rule.

If I have my new bike up and running, I'll be there as designated 'team manager' :)

So does that mean you are confident in beating OXFORD :D

TLove
-6th March 2009, 11:42
So does that mean you are confident in beating OXFORD :D

No, I'm confident the team will beat DUNDEE!

TLove
-6th March 2009, 13:17
No, I'm confident the team will beat DUNDEE!

Actually, we beat Oxford (2nds) last time we won :)

chnortles
-12th March 2009, 21:49
Good luck to all the teams competing this weekend!

PM1
-12th March 2009, 22:14
I hadn't realised that it's the same 4 teams in the semis as last year, the final being one of this year's semis. Ho well....will be there at 11, possibly still with red hair.....:whistle:, cheering the toons on....
Good luck y'all!!

pinkelephant
-12th March 2009, 23:25
I hadn't realised that it's the same 4 teams in the semis as last year, the final being one of this year's semis. Ho well....will be there at 11, possibly still with red hair.....:whistle:, cheering the toons on....
Good luck y'all!!

No - last year's final was Northumbria-Cambridge. The semis are Northumbria-Oxford and Cambridge-Edinburgh.

PM1
-12th March 2009, 23:59
D'oh :o
as ever, you are right.....always had a difficulty with me blues....:rolleyes:

madfencer
-13th March 2009, 16:56
Good luck to the lads at Northumbria, i'm sure you'll do us proud.
POLY TILL I DIE!:not_worth :not_worth :not_worth

Odd Job
-14th March 2009, 21:03
Cambridge beat Oxford in the mens final
Oxford won the ladies final

can't remember the rest

sorry

Andrew

madfencer
-15th March 2009, 00:35
Hard luck to the Northumbria guys :(

Bangor got silver in the women's trophy, losing to a strong kings college london team containing mary cohen and corinna lawrence.

madfencer
-15th March 2009, 00:40
Results on bucs website:
http://www.bucs.org.uk/news.asp?itemid=2834&itemTitle=Cambridge+and+Oxford+teams+to+beat+in+fe ncing&section=8&sectionTitle=News+from+BUCS

Dalesman
-16th March 2009, 10:47
Did anyone find a wallet at the venue :eek:

Need it rather urgent

Odd Job
-16th March 2009, 12:23
Sorry I didn't come across one when we cleared the hall, the only kit that was left was some from Northumbria.

have you tried ringing the venue?

Andrew

fencingmum
-8th April 2009, 08:39
Well, did anyone catch the 5 seconds of fencing this morning at 2.30? I taped the half hour prgoramme to watch later and the only mention fencing got was as an "also ran" in the introduction. They concentrated on wrestling and water sports.

Rob.Leicester
-8th April 2009, 12:40
I got the impression that they would be showing it two sports per show so I'm guessing fencing will be on a different program.