PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on masks including colours and clear ones.

firebrand
-27th November 2003, 17:54
Do you find cloloured masks distracting? The paint comes off right? They can rust too yes, but more slowly? Are some stainless? Which are best and why? I plan on buying a pbt mask, perhaps a blue one. The Leon Paul contour fit sounds good.

Is it hard to alter the shape of clear masks, the polycarb ones?

firebrand

UglyBug
-28th November 2003, 09:52
I don't fancy the clear masks. I don't want my opponents to know that I shut my eyes when I take a parry :dizzy:

Rdb811
-28th November 2003, 10:18
There have been a few threads on this elsewhere on the forum (but I can't remember where).

Eddie
-28th November 2003, 13:16
I have a red foil mask and the paint only comes of when you take a real hard hit to it. The paint on it is like a plastic and is supposed to strengthen it because it binds over the mesh where ever it crosses over. The contour fit is excellent i have a paul sabre mask and foil mask both with the contour fit and they both feel lighter and more comfortable than the hook type ones as a result.

uk_45
-28th November 2003, 14:40
I like coloured ones and painted pictures hate c-thru ones i see them as cheating in sabre.

check out in armoury and equiment 'designs on masks'

Barry Paul
-28th November 2003, 16:53
If the manufacturer has taken a standard painted black mask and sprayed a colour on top the paint comes away easily.

Leon paul use a coloured nylon coat which is the same as the standard black nylon it has always used but is coloured throughout. Barry Paul

Tubby
-28th November 2003, 19:59
Bought myself an Allstar sabre mask (ok you can say I told you so), totally knacked off with the back strap having been used to Paul gear all my fencing life (what ever possessed me?) its a two handed job to put on and I don't like hanging my sabre from the wire so it's a dilemma if one observes testing etiquette at the start of a fight.

Though there's nothing like a discount to sway one's brand loyality..................

Jambo
-28th November 2003, 20:04
IMO LP masks are by far and away the best at the moment, contour fit is superb.

Tubby
-28th November 2003, 20:26
For clarification - I meant that I was knacked off with my new Allstar mask back strap being a two hander. I am so used to my Paul mask. Slip on slip off non fencing hand only.
LP design beats the Allstar one hand(s) down, pun intended.

Though to balance things up, I am very happy with my Allstar sabre, yellow blade and all.
Right - Have I got News for You and the Sword time.

Jambo
-28th November 2003, 20:27
Yes well LP sabre blades are another story....

uk_45
-29th November 2003, 12:42
Yeah all start have some nice sabre blades at the mo though. I am tempted with the new multi-coloured one.

firebrand
-30th November 2003, 13:33
What about Lammet Blue blades from pbt or wherever?

Also for comfort and separetely function also separetely endurance which masks are best?

firebrand

Jambo
-30th November 2003, 13:36
PBT blades are very very good, nice and stiff (they're a bugger to set but once they are....) and well balanced.

Rdb811
-30th November 2003, 21:39
I've just built a blue Duellist, and boy, does that mother sing ......

terrible twins
-3rd December 2003, 21:00
i agree, the new Duellist blades are fantastic! not only does it look like a light sabre its also great to handle, have had no problems with them!!

uk_45
-5th December 2003, 16:20
sounds good what are they cost-wise?

Rdb811
-5th December 2003, 17:10
About 12 ish with membership.:)

uk_45
-5th December 2003, 17:24
Not bad at all

firebrand
-5th December 2003, 17:35
What if I want to import it to Australia?

firebrand

pTeppic
-8th December 2003, 11:04
I've looked at the Duellist Blue blade, I've looked at the PBT blade (not the LM, but the rather nice normal metal one), and they're the same blade (bar the conductivity treatment).

How did I reach this conclusion, they both carry the same forge mark, and both handle identically and visually look exactly the same.

The LM is a different matter however.

firebrand
-8th December 2003, 15:55
So colour won't effect performance?

firebrand

hayleyjade
-8th December 2003, 19:12
i want a pink one! yes i am obbsessed, nearly every thing i own is pink!

but hey im young i can get away with it!

i would really like a clouored blade, i have never seen any coloured stuf tho, i think it would b cool fencing against someone with a picture on their mask! heheh! id probably do worse though, i'd be looking at the picture!

i really need to get out more!

Tubby
-8th December 2003, 19:25
Wash one of those brown/rust red LP gloves with your kit and you'll get pink gear. I put the daughter's glove in with my kit and now my breeches have a lovely pink relief in the panels, my glove is pink and my jacket has pink velcro and piping. It all looks as if it was designed that way. Matching white and shell pink kit. No amount of washing will shift it and as I cannot use bleach I'm stuck with it. Oh well I shall have to continue to do the gay cavalier routine after all.

hayleyjade
-8th December 2003, 20:11
hehe, ace! may have to try that one, or not, for fear i will risk more teasin @ my club, saturday morning is never the best! and being the only female i tend to be picked on, and my usual tactic or slapping people does not owrk, and fencing them never works, it never quite gets me even!

o well, pink kit (maybe, if i get another one then il die the old one , curent, pink!)

Gav
-9th December 2003, 09:00
Originally posted by Tubby
Wash one of those brown/rust red LP gloves with your kit and you'll get pink gear. I put the daughter's glove in with my kit and now my breeches have a lovely pink relief in the panels, my glove is pink and my jacket has pink velcro and piping. It all looks as if it was designed that way. Matching white and shell pink kit. No amount of washing will shift it and as I cannot use bleach I'm stuck with it. Oh well I shall have to continue to do the gay cavalier routine after all.

I did this to my last set of kit. I called it the strawberry cheesecake effect.

Marcos
-9th December 2003, 09:58
the year was 1994, late autumn, the place a northern madrid suburb.

i had just come back from training and had a comp at the w/e - i threw my kit into the washing machine and asked my flat mates if they had any whites to go in...

...on returning from the bar i opened the machine so as to put out the washing to dry in the crisp autumnal sun...my kit was pink....bright pink...

hayleyjade
-9th December 2003, 14:44
and i bet u never dared wear it again? in a show of nothing breaking your manliness!

Marcos
-9th December 2003, 15:35
actually soaked it in bleach until it went white again

firebrand
-9th December 2003, 15:43
You can spray paint your mask any colour you want, such as pink. A salesman here in Sydney offered to do just that for me, not pink tho. Then get one which is already red for it will scratch. Keep thecan for touch ups. I suppose the red nylon will as they say make it stronger and I think the paint will stick better. Take the bib off first... PBT sell coloured masks at no extra cost.

firebrand

hayleyjade
-9th December 2003, 15:47
Hehe! i might have to invest!

defeats the object bleaching it back to white! show a bit of femininity! haha!

only joking!

i would try spraying my mask, but i'd make a mess! and i would know how to get the bib of, so im not going to even try, i'd break my mask! argh! no!

firebrand
-9th December 2003, 16:54
Some brands have a removable bib, ask someone or post a thread. Try a school or uni collection of old stuff. You could use avon tarnish remover or it is coloured with nylon. Put down news paper on a garage floor choose say, hot pink spray as the can advises lightly from a distance in circles avoiding running... I did a toy rocket that way. You can also wear a mask when spraying... Arty students or teachers would know...

firebrand

hayleyjade
-9th December 2003, 17:33
i may have to try it then! i will have to wear something on my head too, i promise you i would end up covered in paint myself!

Muso440
-9th December 2003, 19:30
Originally posted by hayleyjade
i want a pink one! yes i am obbsessed, nearly every thing i own is pink!

Why?

Isn't it a bit pathetically girly?

I just can never understand why anyone likes pink. Let alone wear it. Just about the worst colour there is. Bleurgh.

hayleyjade
-9th December 2003, 19:42
urm well due to the fact i am female and i am only 15 i can get away with wearing heads to toe pink if i wanted, not that i do, no pink is feminine, but the way i wear it could some days be classed as girly, yet other days funky!

loads of people wear pink, maybe more so in the younger generations

o and i dont do pale baby pinks, they r very girly, i prefer the bold make a statement in you face pink! so nur! bleurgh back at you!

Tubby
-9th December 2003, 23:21
Now now girls, if you're going to get it on can you do it somewhere so that we can watch.

Originally posted by Marcos
actually soaked it in bleach until it went white again
The instructions on my kit says don't bleach, which of course is a pity as the collar has gone a yellowy colour and did I mention my kit is pink?

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 14:44
i dodnt start it!

o well, who really pays attention to washing instructions? rules are there to be disobeyed! well with clothing anyway!

in response to your pinkkit, show a bit of femininity! it'd be good for you!

Tubby
-10th December 2003, 17:08
Yep the pink goes well with my man breasts.

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 17:46
hehe! i bet it does!:tongue:

uk_45
-11th December 2003, 21:16
hmm bit of lilac to i think!

hayleyjade
-12th December 2003, 15:24
hehe, yeh that could look groovy!

firebrand
-12th December 2003, 17:01
What of violet then?

hayleyjade
-12th December 2003, 17:46
arent violet and lilac kind of the same thing?

buyt yeh they both sound cool!

firebrand
-12th December 2003, 18:41
As red and pink, so there is violet and lilac. Purple is a bit different to violet too.

firebrand

hayleyjade
-12th December 2003, 19:39
o im confuzed! i don't like colours, they are similar, but different, and o! your blaggin me ed! (haha, translation, your confusing me, kind of anyway!)

argh!

firebrand
-14th December 2003, 17:59
Mix red and white paint to give pink. Mix violet and white to get lilac. Blue and white gives pale or light blue.

You must have a bare metal or silver mask for sabre. Because the head is a target area. It takes metal to metal conductivity, ie electric conduction. PBT sells clear faced sabre masks. For foil they sell blue, black and yellow.

firebrand

robinv
-14th December 2003, 21:26
There are electrically conductive powder coatings meant for anti-static protection that are available in various colours; Rohm's Spark-Lite coating for example.

I don't know whether they'd be durable enough for a mask, or conductive enough to pass FIE resistance specs though.

-robin