PDA

View Full Version : r.i.p. gb 'a' grades?

Rhubarb
-28th November 2003, 09:49
with the pruning of the calendar instigated at Leipzig are our comps going to go!?

Rdb811
-28th November 2003, 10:14
This is being discussed on the "Keith" etc thread under Referee's.

3 Card Trick
-28th November 2003, 10:31
But needs wider circulation, ths is a serious problem.

Rdb811
-28th November 2003, 10:43
Loss of any of the international events will have a serious impact - I presume that in all these things 'money talks' and that having sponsored events in 'TV viewer friendly' venues will carry the day. Hands in pocket time agian?

Rhubarb
-28th November 2003, 10:58
not so, 'TV' friendly and monied events are already there as GP events. Membership be afraid , be very afraid

aao
-28th November 2003, 12:17
I'm not sure about the other events but i would suspect that the two FIE Epee GP's in Europe will become Barcelona (allready one) and Paris the other events that survive will prob be Heidenhiem (Germany), Legnano (Italy), Budapest and...........
London probably has a good chance because of the global appeal of the city but I suspect we'll have to move the venue to somewhere bigger and more public if we want to retain it and attract/cater for more fencers. Otherwise its bye bye London. The African one will probably remain as Tunisia.

For the Girls I gues Ipswich is doomed as its a lously venue, poorly attended and one of the weaker comps. with the comps following the lines above with one in each of the big fencing nations :(

I just think it will be a great shame to lose competitions like London, Stockholm, Innsbruck etc which are good competitions with plenty of potential. What it will do to the Brits qualifying chances for the future worlds/Europeans I shudder to think as the comps standard will now be much tougher.

Rhubarb
-28th November 2003, 13:14
I think the above posting is just about spot on ,apart from the fact that there are more 'GP'events already in europe. Vercelli for one, Tbb for another. It could be a case of Bye, bye for some 'classic' comps.
Has this idea been discussed by the FIE comex. What is the aim of this strategy and has the likely outcome been considered with a view to the eventual destruction of the World Cup as a competition to aspire to compete in or is it to be just a qualification circuit for 'elite' fencers.

Rdb811
-28th November 2003, 17:06
I would have thought the way to go would be to have as many events that made money, plus satelite circuits to feed into them BUT really concentrte into developing the GP events into major occasions, (like tennis or golf).

nahouw
-29th December 2003, 03:40
Originally posted by Rhubarb
Has this idea been discussed by the FIE comex. What is the aim of this strategy and has the likely outcome been considered with a view to the eventual destruction of the World Cup as a competition to aspire to compete in or is it to be just a qualification circuit for 'elite' fencers.

I think that the aim of the FIE is to create a stratification similar to the tennis circuit. Tennis and fencing were equally popular in the early 1900's, but yet tennis has blossomed and fencing has not.

This will not be a destruction of the World Cup Circuit -- just a restructuring. I think that it is good to create a stratification for Grand Prix events and award them more points -- they are attended by higher ranked fencers, and are hence a competition worth more points than a regular World Cup.