PDA

View Full Version : fencing shoes

jamesthornton
-8th April 2003, 11:26
do you think that adidas should make a front foot epee shoe offering more protection from foot hits?:confused:

Barry Paul
-8th April 2003, 14:00
Always a trade off between lightness and protection. Try moving your feet out of the way. Barry

jamesogden
-8th April 2003, 17:11
I find the shoes wear out on my back foot as I drag it, bad technique I know but I saw someone with a patch is that something you have heard or something I can buy.
:upset:

kingkenny
-9th April 2003, 07:41
Buy some leather and stick it on with some locktite or unibond.
Makes the life of the shoe 3 times longer but it looks a bit lame.

jamesthornton
-9th April 2003, 12:40
also try not to do any opther sports like football in them as this can damage the shoes and get the soles worn away more quickly aswell.

3 Card Trick
-9th April 2003, 21:24
I spend a lot of time knocking out watches in street corners. Which type of fencing shoe would you reccomend?:grin:

Gold
-10th April 2003, 14:20
Easily the best fencing shoe for you would be dutch clogs;)

Aoife
-20th April 2003, 16:59
I've seen epeople fencing in squash shoes. Are these as good as fencing shoes? Are they cheaper? Where would I buy squash shoes?

Jambo
-20th April 2003, 17:17
I know loads of people who fence in squash shoes, they seem to work and are a d*** sight cheaper than fencing shoes. According to my coach it's all about how straight the heel is, therefore normal trainers are pretty awful but squash shoes are ok.

Jambo

PS I still just spent £90 on the addidas efforts!

Aoife
-20th April 2003, 17:25
So if I'm pressed for money squash shoes will be just as good?

(I noticed that about the heal on my trainers being slightly too rigid... the soles too.)

Maybe I'll buy squash shoes for now, then get some fencing shoes later.

Jambo
-20th April 2003, 17:28
Yeah, I'd say so. Any sports shop should sell 'em.

Jambo

Aoife
-20th April 2003, 17:33
Thanks Jambo!

Mischa
-20th April 2003, 17:48
Try your local Lilywhites - I noticed Hi Tech Squash Shoes there for just £15.

Or visit http://www.viktoria.co.uk/Catalogue.htm - undoubtedly the best :confused:

wingnutLP
-20th April 2003, 19:13
you get what you pay for in terms of dedicated fencing shoes. The Vicktoria are OK for the money but they aren't a great shoe.

For club level fencing I reckon squash shoes are fine. If you take it seriously the adidas equipment are well worth investing in as the really soft rubber provides loads of extra grip.

Jambo
-20th April 2003, 19:33
I just bought the Addidas equipment cos I've recently started fencing a lot more (work avoidance!) and started wrecking my feet and trainers. Dedicated fencing shoes are the way to go once you're fencing more than a few hours a week.

Boo Boo
-20th April 2003, 20:21
Oh for a really comfortable, pair of fencing boots that fit my feet well... :-).

Am using the Adidas Equipment Boots, but they are not a good fit for my short, wide feet (think Daffy Duck :o ) especially since I use Sorbathene insoles (since I am prone to bruising my heal when I lunge on hard floors...).

Am wearing through them quickly (turn my back foot when I lunge - I know, VERY bad habit... ) and dreading having to buy ANOTHER pair of boots which don't fit properly... (uncomfortable fencing shoes do not make a cheerful fencer... :( )

Any chance of someone producing custom fencing shoes???

Aoife, squash shoes are just fine: used them for the first 18 months that I fenced.

Boo

Neo
-20th April 2003, 20:34
I think someone should open a dedicated fencing center in london, where you could just turn up any time you liked and fence! then one wouldn't have to wait all week for their club, only to have to wait all over again the next week...

ok I admit it... My name's Martin and I'm an addict... :grin:

Jambo
-20th April 2003, 20:36
Try living up North, mail ordering fencing shoes, do you have any idea how annoying that is!! At least you have some fencing shops down there. (And yes I could wait for a competition, but thats sooo boring)

PS Hackers?

Neo
-20th April 2003, 20:48
hackers?

Jambo
-20th April 2003, 20:55
Sorry, thought the last line was a film quote. Obviously not!

Neo
-20th April 2003, 21:06
Nah, it was a play on the usual "My name's Martin and I'm an alcoholic" (actually that may not be far from the truth - hey I'm a law student :P - but that's another story altogether :P)

Hudson
-21st April 2003, 00:53
I started off in squash shoes and found them fine, but as i started entering more comps i found due to my bad tequnie that i wore a big hole in my trailing foot as i lunged. The Adidas shoes i have now are great as they have the extra padding on your trailing foot. A bit steep but if you do alot of comps well worth it.

Aoife
-21st April 2003, 21:28
Squash shoes it is then. I'll be down to Warreners ASAP (although they did directly me to the garden centre when I asked about fencing equiptment :) )

Neo
-21st April 2003, 21:34
currently I use a dodgy pair of trainers I bought about 5 years ago :D

Hudson
-21st April 2003, 21:38
now was it chain link or wooden fencing they sent you to?
Never had a problem with my squash shoes apart from the big hole i put in them from rolling my foot, though it had a littke help from a George Liston foot hit :transport

Aoife
-23rd April 2003, 18:56
Oh they had all kinds of fences availible :)

Alas, Warreners had no squash shoes in my size, nor did JD Sport, Millits, JBS Sport, Clarks, or any other show shop in town (damn two-horse tourist town!).

Off to the next town it is then. Hopefully before Thursday (not tomorrow, next week. Yay- It'll be the first fencing lesson since the 7th!!!! :grin: )

Neo
-23rd April 2003, 19:04
me bored. I'm running out of friend's episodes :(

Jambo
-23rd April 2003, 19:49
Revise?!:grin:

Neo
-23rd April 2003, 19:55
:upset:

Jambo
-23rd April 2003, 19:56
Or drink more.:party:

Hudson
-23rd April 2003, 20:02
drink more sounds like more fun.:beer:

randomsabreur
-23rd April 2003, 20:32
Why did adidas have to discontinue those shoes with the purple stripes, that were a bit like the D'Artagnan but softer. Those were my absolute favourite.

PBT shoes aren't so good, too high off the ground

Has anyone else found that the fancy asymetric shoes are quite painful on the back ankle bone or do I just have funny shaped feet?

:)

pinkelephant
-24th April 2003, 09:56
Yes - I also get problems with the back shoe digging into my (not exactly slim) calf - it's even caused bruising on the rare occasions I've lasted more than one DE fight. I thought it was just me!

As a matter of interest, I've noticed a lot of injuries to the calf of the back leg recently, of the torn muscle variety. Is there any correlation between the type of footwear? I tore my back calf muscle completely whil;e wearing the assymetric shoes (but I hadn't warmed up properly).:(

Gav
-24th April 2003, 10:49
I quite like my Viktoria shoes. They were a bit uncomfortable to start with but they have softened and moulded themselves to my feet nicely.

Cyranox11
-24th April 2003, 10:54
Viktoria's rule.
They are perhaps second only to the discontinued Adidas Effects.

Dartgnans are no good for me and some others I know as they give me a black big toe on the front foot every time I use them!
(They are a 'perfect' fit.)

I have never used assymetricals, but I think they are way too pricey and of little benefit. I have also heard too many rumours about injuries etc.

Apparently some of the Chinese shoes are quite good as well and cheap too! Just kind of hard to locate!

bydande
-25th April 2003, 19:08
I tried on a pair of Victoria shoes at the same time as a pair of D'artagnans and they were definately more comfortable - as they had a broader fit. The D'Artagnans were definately on the slim side.

Aoife
-28th April 2003, 12:42
Okaaay, now my problem is I can't find squash shoes in my size anywhere. I'm going to try Canturbury, but the local area has proved fruitless. Which are best? I've mostly seen Hi-Tech Squash, but will any squash shoes do? (I've seen a few pairs of squash shoes in my size, but they looked more like trainers, and I wasn't certain if they'd be okay.)

Thanks everyone, you're all great!

(I'm currently waiting with anticipation for my breeches and socks I ordered from the wonderfully helpful Blades)

reposte
-6th May 2003, 17:27
My main problem's the friction on the tow of the trailing foot.
What do you do against it?
I've tried taping a medical cotton pad to it but it doesn't seem like a suitable solution...

Gav
-7th May 2003, 08:35

Don't drag your foot.

reposte
-7th May 2003, 10:17
ye think?

Moose
-9th May 2003, 04:27
Hmmmm, a pair of CAT Steel Toe's are always useful, if he tries to hit you on the head, kick him in the shin, he'll soon think better of it :grin:

Moby
-12th May 2003, 18:24
I've tried the Asymmetric Adidas Equipment shoes and found the heel on the leading foot pretty annoying - it does not seem to cut away under the heel, like all the previous fencing shoes I've owned. I even heard that James Williams who got a pair to use at the last Olympics ended up having to hack off some of the heel so that he felt comfortable in them. The dodgy heel could be a reason for the sore calf muscles...

On the other hand, I find that the back foor is a lot nicer than in normal shoes.

If only I was loaded enough to buy two pairs of shoes and use a D'artagnon on the front foot and and Equipment on the back foot!

Saying that I find the D'Artagnons are both extremely comfortable and reasonably priced (only about £40-45 if you know where to get them). My favourite pair of fencing shoes to date - have had two pairs of the Riposte II shoes (I think that is their name - purple stripes), and still think the D'artagnon are the best.

Anyone else has vies on the Equipment and D'Artagnon shoes?

wingnutLP
-14th May 2003, 21:53
My money is on hi-tech with a smattering of pine resin for extra grip.
Wouldn't touch Viktoria amd the equipment seem to be the daddy if you can aford them.

Moose
-15th May 2003, 03:38
Originally posted by reposte
What do you do against it?
I've tried taping a medical cotton pad to it but it doesn't seem like a suitable solution...

Have you considered melting the rubber of the sole to make it smooth, be careful what you use on the sole tho as rubber can perish quite easily.

lorca
-27th May 2003, 13:31
i love my viktoria shoes, they are good for feet as narrow as mine and let in lots of air at the top to keep my feet cool. though they have worn down quite fast and don't protect the heel too well. even so cooler feet is a major bonus.

foilerist
-29th May 2003, 23:18
i managed to get two pair of adidas fencing shoes. they are an older style but still do the job well, i think its down to the flat sole giving you more grip. they were on sale at duellist don't know if they still have any. i think they were end of line stuff and only came in limited sizes.

Moose
-30th May 2003, 02:06
I've been told to get some decent shoes in the hope that it will help me get a ballestra right, I don't see what's wrong with my DC's :grin:

haggis
-30th May 2003, 06:56
DCs - good for skateboarding, rubbish for fencing (except for nice grippy soles:) )

Gav
-30th May 2003, 07:15
Haggis: aren't you a little old to be footling about on a skateboard?

haggis
-30th May 2003, 07:35
Thanks Gav:tongue:

Demonic
-30th May 2003, 08:43
I got DC's for skateing awesome shoes.just bought a pair of the epuiptment fencing boots and they seem fine at the moment.:grin:

Moose
-30th May 2003, 13:24
I just have to work out what fencing shoes are in my budget and sold in a size 13 :confused:

Cyranox11
-4th June 2003, 12:45
Moose, at size 13, nothing is going to help your balestra...
:tongue:

Moose
-4th June 2003, 12:53
Yes, but I need to do it to pass my grade 3 :grin:

Moose
-4th June 2003, 13:15
Make who stop?

Someone was quick with the old delete button there ;)

Marcos
-16th August 2004, 14:49
Originally posted by lorca
i love my viktoria shoes, they are good for feet as narrow as mine and let in lots of air at the top to keep my feet cool. though they have worn down quite fast and don't protect the heel too well. even so cooler feet is a major bonus.

nice, comfy and fall apart within months
:(

Neo
-16th August 2004, 17:08
Originally posted by foilerist
i managed to get two pair of adidas fencing shoes. they are an older style but still do the job well, i think its down to the flat sole giving you more grip. they were on sale at duellist don't know if they still have any. i think they were end of line stuff and only came in limited sizes.

duellist usually seems to have end of line stuff on sale - got adidas socks for like £4 that everyone else has for £12, but they're so bloody thick its like wearing bloody big tea cosies - not much good when ur trying to keep cool!

Threestain
-16th August 2004, 18:35
I absolutely HATE the assymmetric shoes. They hurt my back leg (due to the cant) and it still hasn't healed a year or two later.

I personally use handball or volleyball shoes - similar to hi-tech squash shoes, but better essentially. They last forever and actually cushion the heel.

In terms of fencing footwear, I think the Asics ones are best personally.

sparkymark567
-17th August 2004, 11:40
I think they have stopped making the asymetrics now.

Threestain
-17th August 2004, 12:29
good.

besides which, the adidas shoes are ridiculously overpriced.

I mean £80-120 for shoes that aren't even that good? Scandalous

DrillerNic
-17th August 2004, 15:44
I've just picked up a pair of Puma fencing shoes in bizarrely enough, a men's designer fashion shop - for £35!!!

Not tried them yet, but they're very light...

Rdb811
-17th August 2004, 21:53
I think there was a (favourable) thread about these a few months ago.

PKT
-20th August 2004, 23:50
Originally posted by Threestain
I absolutely HATE the assymmetric shoes. They hurt my back leg (due to the cant) and it still hasn't healed a year or two later.

Alas, the fault lies not with the shoes, but with your genetic disposition.
Blame your family tree...

PK

PKT
-20th August 2004, 23:59
it appears that adidas have new fencing shoes as used by Montano at the Olympics.
In the attached foto, Montano's on the Left. the regular adidas asymmetrics are on the right.

PK

PKT
-21st August 2004, 00:05
i guess i could have done this search before i post the last post.
Those are adistars Montano's wearing...

PK

jamesthornton
-21st August 2004, 10:09
i dont no about foil and sabre but i no that a large amount of international especialy french and groing amount of national fencers are using either adidas stabil handball shoes which are comfy and have very good grip, or the adidas barricade tennis shoe which has good grip and is very comfortable and has even stronger adiprene on than the fencing shoes so no whole!! and if you no were to get them from (france) can be very cheap around £50. and even in england are less than regular fencing shoes and in my opinion a lot better too.

Boo Boo
-22nd August 2004, 12:40
Anybody here actually tried the new Adiddas Adistar shoes yet (http://www.allstar-fencing.co.uk/Large-Image-Files/adistar-Fencing-Lo-shoes.htm)?

I know quite a few people I know have tried the new D'Artagnan 2 and seem to like them very much.

Boo
(looking to use the aircast ankle supports, but has to give up wearing boots to do so...)

(the bear with the useless right ankle... :upset: )

symon
-22nd August 2004, 18:54
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Anybody here actually tried the new Adiddas Adistar shoes yet (http://www.allstar-fencing.co.uk/Large-Image-Files/adistar-Fencing-Lo-shoes.htm)?

htey don't actually look that bad at least they don't look as gastly as the 'dart 2's

Biggles
-22nd August 2004, 19:00
Originally posted by DrillerNic
I've just picked up a pair of Puma fencing shoes in bizarrely enough, a men's designer fashion shop - for £35!!!

Not tried them yet, but they're very light...

There's a reason you found them where you did...they aren't really fencing shoes. The design is from an old Puma fencing shoe but they don't hold up well at all for very long as the sole tends to crumble on the back foot. Which is a shame as they are very comfortable and light, they just don't last very long.

PKT
-22nd August 2004, 21:22
As a sabreur, we usu. get stuck in tourneies on wood floors. As a result, i find the Adidas Epuipment [asymmetrics] totally useless - they're designed for the piste which are high abrasion and therefore high grip - depending on the piste material. As a result the compound on the sole of the Equipment is totally too hard and no grip for hard wood gym floors, not to mention dusty gym floor.

As a result, i usu. use a discontinued - in N. America - Adidas Response court shoes with the gum soles and rounded edge on the big toe side.

i still would like to know the specs of the new adistars if anyone has used them or talked to someone who has used them.

PK

gbm
-22nd August 2004, 21:25
In Britain, only the epeeist generally see metallic pistes, and then only rarely...

Threestain
-22nd August 2004, 21:57
Originally posted by PKT
Alas, the fault lies not with the shoes, but with your genetic disposition.
Blame your family tree...

PK

I would if it were only me. And if the adidas asymmetrics were actually used by the majority of epeeists internationally. As neither are true and that the angle I think may actually have been removed from current versions (not completely sure but hopeful for other people's sake - am not going to use them again)

uk_45
-22nd August 2004, 22:07
At wrexham i had a entire poule on a allstar show piste was quite nice. And the grip does show

PKT
-22nd August 2004, 22:42
This is to the epeeists amonst us.
Since i'm not one, maybe you can help me understand
why do most of the top epeeists i saw at the Vancouver World Cup not use fencing shoes? Is it because their footwork are not as demanding as sabre or foil?
;)

PK

PKT
-22nd August 2004, 22:43
Originally posted by goodbadandme
In Britain, only the epeeist generally see metallic pistes, and then only rarely...

Not even for foil?

Yes, i've downloaded the LP 2003 UK nationals screensaver... but that's not the same as being there, is it?

PK

Threestain
-23rd August 2004, 09:43
Its mainly because they want better support, wear and comfort from their shoes. If anything the footwork seems more demanding as they want better shoes...

PKT
-23rd August 2004, 21:57
better shoes on a piste than the adidas equipment?

PK

Threestain
-23rd August 2004, 23:23
oh yes. much better. mainly because the shoes are actually researched better (more money in handball, volleyball and tennis) and so are just better. Plus I find the 'gum' rubber soles much better and less prone to slippage

PKT
-24th August 2004, 01:00
gum rubber soles won't last long on a metallic piste.
That said, court shoes are cheaper to replace than fencing shoes.
there aren't hat many hsoes that have the same heel protection as the Equipment or the Response.

PK

Neo
-24th August 2004, 08:55
Originally posted by PKT
better shoes on a piste than the adidas equipment?

PK

I tried them and couldn't notice much real difference, so I bought the cheap ones instead (ie dartagnan's)

Threestain
-24th August 2004, 09:42
Originally posted by PKT
gum rubber soles won't last long on a metallic piste.
That said, court shoes are cheaper to replace than fencing shoes.
there aren't hat many hsoes that have the same heel protection as the Equipment or the Response.

PK

I think you'll find they do. And longer than fencing shoes.

Believe me, as I used to wear through the old style shoes (adistar) very quickly - the record was one day of competing at the world championships.

The last two pairs of 'court' shoes have lasted me nearly 2 years. Both are fine, and I now use the old pair as squash shoes. Realistically I find fencing shoes are not suited to me, and are a complete waste of money, for me at least.

However, they are lighter than court shoes (in general, especially the non-equipment shoes) and so are liked by many, but I cannot use them as I wreck them! :)

Barry Paul
-24th August 2004, 11:52
so what court shoes are you using?

gbm
-24th August 2004, 11:55
Maybe LP should design and manufacture some fencing shoes? :)

Ulrika
-24th August 2004, 12:02
Maybe LP should design and manufacture some fencing shoes? :)
Yes, I'm a little surprised that none of the major fencing equipment companies (PBT aside) has already done this.

Ulrika
-24th August 2004, 12:05
Ahem, I meant to say has NOT already done this... :)

dunastor
-24th August 2004, 12:37
NONE of the fencing equipment companies have NOT already done it?

So they all have?!?!?! :confused:

;)

Ulrika
-24th August 2004, 12:42
Dunastor, stop making me confused! :tongue:
English is not my language... *ponders about correct sentence in english*

dunastor
-24th August 2004, 12:53
I think your first sentence was right (apart for 'has', which should have been 'have' ;) )

:cool:

Ulrika
-24th August 2004, 13:01
Well...I'll await the judgement from the native english-speaking expertise (ie. GBM...)! :)

gbm
-24th August 2004, 13:16
Unfortunately, I think Dunastor is right (though English is not my speciality either, even if it is my first language)!

Personally, I'd rewrite it like this anyway:
Yes, I'm a little surprised that no major fencing equipment company has done this yet (except PBT).

dunastor
-24th August 2004, 14:13
Unfortunately, I think Dunastor is right

How is my being right unfortunate? :grin:

Rdb811
-24th August 2004, 19:19
Originally posted by Neo
, so I bought the cheap ones instead (ie dartagnan's)

<falls off chair in amazement>

PKT
-24th August 2004, 19:25
Originally posted by Barry Paul
so what court shoes are you using?

i use adidas' Response. The 1st pair lasted my about 1 yr on twice weekly plus light tourney duty.

I replaced them when they lost grip. i got quite a few people buying the same shoes. They retail about CAD 70.

i wrote a review of these in fencing.net's product review section.

PK

PKT
-24th August 2004, 19:42

Believe me, as I used to wear through the old style shoes (adistar) ...

are you telling me adistars are old shoes?
or are the adistars as worn by the sabreurs and foilists in Athens are diff't adistars?

PK

Ulrika
-24th August 2004, 21:48
Unfortunately, I think Dunastor is right (though English is not my speciality either, even if it is my first language)!

Personally, I'd rewrite it like this anyway:
Yes, I'm a little surprised that no major fencing equipment company has done this yet (except PBT).
Ok. Glad to see atleast someone got what I was trying to say... :grin:

Threestain
-24th August 2004, 22:59
Originally posted by PKT
are you telling me adistars are old shoes?
or are the adistars as worn by the sabreurs and foilists in Athens are diff't adistars?

PK

No the old tyle adistars - like the reposte 2s, but with black stripes instead of purple. not the equipments or d'artagnans

I personally use Adidas Stabils - the standard volleyball shoe. This shoe is used very widely abroad, and is only about £50. Tennis shoes and handball shoes are also used by loads of people.

This is why you see lots of people with 'strange' coloured shoes abroad - Timea Nagy wears Stabils (the women's epee champion).

Chris Morgan
-1st September 2004, 16:05
I am very tempted into getting a pair of tennis shoes, although ill look what they have abroad aswell

Cuppa
-1st September 2004, 18:51
I tried to use tennis shoes for fencing once because I fogot my fencing pumps, but regreted it as they were clumsey and made my ankles sore during sabre footwork excersises and my lesson!

It depends on your footwork style, bouncy epee style or fast sabre styleeee!!

reposte
-1st September 2004, 19:39
Yes, I'm a little surprised that none of the major fencing equipment companies (PBT aside) has already done this

Victoria makes fencing shoes, not strictly a fencin company but they are used by many Italians, even the top ones. Vanni used them at Lisbon.

Foilling Around
-1st September 2004, 20:09
Try telling Donnie McKenzie that you have to have fencing shoes. He was at the top of the foil rankings for close on 2 decades in Hi-Tech squash shoes.

I have some stuff called "marathon paste" which I put on the dragging part of my rear foot as soon as I buy new shoes. Don't wait until there is a hole as it is too late.

Avoid Victoria shoes. Cheap, but you get what you pay for in terms of grip.

The important thing is having shoes which are designed to put up with lateral as well backward and forward motion. That is why squash and badminton shoes are so much better than leisure trainers and running shoes.

reposte
-1st September 2004, 20:29
Has anyone tried the D'Artagnan II's?

I hated the D'Artagnan first generation but am willing to consider an improved model... any experience with them, anyone?

Glue Boy
-14th September 2004, 16:11
they are exactly the same shoe but a different design on the top! No difference in performance :(

I was gonna get the new equipment but tryed them but the lack ankle support didn't feel right! so i'm gonnna get another pair of the old equipments! :)

Demonic
-15th September 2004, 10:00
ive seen alot of people recently using a sqaush/handball trainer called by adidas called 'stabil'.

You can get them at 'decathlon' sports stores in this country at £27.99.. :)

I,m gonna get some next week hopefully and let everyone know how they are but the fencers that wear them say they are great and alot more in the comfort department :)

Tarmac
-15th September 2004, 10:12
where are these decathlon stores?
i've never seen one in the south...

vil
-15th September 2004, 10:43
Originally posted by Tarmac
where are these decathlon stores?
i've never seen one in the south...

There's a big one at Canada Water in London, IIRC. Haven't seen any others though.

Threestain
-15th September 2004, 11:26
Originally posted by Demonic
ive seen alot of people recently using a sqaush/handball trainer called by adidas called 'stabil'.

You can get them at 'decathlon' sports stores in this country at £27.99.. :)

I,m gonna get some next week hopefully and let everyone know how they are but the fencers that wear them say they are great and alot more in the comfort department :)

£27.99? BLimey that's even cheaper than I found them for. Hmm sure they're the stabils? Cos if they are that's a complete bargain. Not squash shoes though volleyball/handball more

hokers
-15th September 2004, 11:47
What colour are they?

Some available on the web but not white and nothing under £50ish.

Tarmac
-15th September 2004, 12:02
they're not red are they? :tongue:

Steve
-15th September 2004, 12:13
Not squash shoes though volleyball/handball more Why do you think they are more suitable for handball/volleyball than squash? And what makes them better than other squash shoes for fencing?

Slash
-15th September 2004, 12:46
Lots of guys from my club where squash shoes, but we don't compete too much...
I personally where an old pair of skate shoes (Addias, wilkox I think<they were my favorite style, but I think they're discontinued [always happens with your fav. pair or style hey?] > only prob I had on a piste was poor grip cause it <the piste> was dirty)

Threestain
-15th September 2004, 13:25
Firstly the reason I say that they are more suited to volleyball and/or handball is that that's what they are designed for - they are the 'official' volleyball shoe in europe. They aren't actually made for squash.

The reason that they're better for fencing than squash shoes, and why they are more expensive (around £50 usually) is that they are more supportive, more cushioned, still light weight and very hard wearing - I used to go through a pair of the old adistars et al in anytihng from 1 day of competing to 5 days of competing. I have used the Stabils for training (3 nights a week) and competing for over 6 months and they are fine.

The come in many different colours - blue, black, red, green, yellow, gold, silver etc. Why should they be white?

And whats wrong with red shoes???? :mad:

Slash
-15th September 2004, 13:32
Nothing wrong with red shoes, just unusal I believe...
I my shoes are blue, so you don't have to feel bad:)

Gav
-15th September 2004, 13:56
I just stuck a pair of Sorbothanes in my old adidas Dart's and they were fine. All the cushion and grip I could want.

I'm intrigued by these Adidas Stabils and the price (if £27.99 is accurate) is good. So I've looked up Decathlon here (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ukstore/index.asp).

Anyway, I couldn't find them on the site. There is a store locator on there as well.

Canis
-15th September 2004, 14:27
Ive had a pair of addidas fencing (hi) boots since the lp sale.

Bought them for the ankle support as i am a big guy!( the idea is - boots to stop me damaging my ankles)

initial impressions - despite the fact that Addidas think a man with size 13 feet will have skinny ankles, they well worth the £109 they cost and they seem very grippy on most surfaces - all except a newly varnished floor in the gym i fenced in last night though- i was slipping everywhere! but then, so was everyone else!

to nubies though Iwould still however advise that they should be the "last thing " on the kit list behind your second spare weapon at your least favourite weapon!- until then Hi tec squash shoes are fine!

Tarmac
-15th September 2004, 14:31
fine.

nothing wrong with red - was wondering about the gaffa tape amendments though.... :tongue:

Threestain
-15th September 2004, 15:40
that's so that I don't wear through them in hours - a bit of tape is cheaper than a new shoe. plus this way I'm distinctive

I had blue shoes last year, adidas somethings, they were pretty good too.

Threestain
-15th September 2004, 15:48
Apparently they are designated as badminton and squash shoes by decathalon:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ukstore/produit.asp?int_DeptId=21039&int_DeptPereId=34947&int_PfId=784358

these are blue and are:

£39.99 which is reasonable for them.

Threestain
-15th September 2004, 15:55
But according to Adidas:

STABIL 5 M
The handball world''s favourite shoe. Supportive and durable from top to bottom, it''s designed to put maximum power to the floor, then let you apply it in any direction
adiTUFF for best abrasion resistance in the toe area.
Synthetic leather upper for lightweight and durability.
ClimaLite Lining for moisture management and comfort.
Moulded EVA insole for anatomical comfort.
Midsole

And that's the best one in my opinion

Demonic
-15th September 2004, 21:09
damn they must be getting popular they were £27.99 last friday when i looked on the net.Ah well in my opinion they are probably still worth getting :)

Rdb811
-15th September 2004, 21:28
Where from - I'm tempted to experiment.

Threestain
-16th September 2004, 09:02
well they've always been popular - I buy them from Wigmore sports in Wigmore street, behind oxford street. However, they only have limited stock because they're so popular - often sell out within days (and that's been the case for 2 years). But worth a try. Don't know of any other good sports shops in the region other than that I'm afraid!

Tarmac
-16th September 2004, 10:07
can you get them online anywhere?
you could be starting a trend here ya know...

slimrbp
-16th September 2004, 11:13
holdall.co.uk sells them for £47.

www.holdall.co.uk (http://www.holdall.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1234).

Also www.barringtonsports.co.uk (http://www.barringtonsports.co.uk/ProdDetail.asp?ProdID=480) have them for £48 although they don't have any in stock.

Tarmac
-16th September 2004, 11:21
only in two colours though...:(

slimrbp
-16th September 2004, 11:34
There's just no pleasing some people!:)

It appears more colours = more money :

http://www.pwp.com/menssquashshoes.asp?id=1&cat=adidas%20stabil

Tarmac
-16th September 2004, 11:38
Originally posted by slimrbp
It appears more colours = more money :

hi-tec squash shoes it remains then!!:grin: :tongue:

Threestain
-16th September 2004, 11:45
still not all the colours though...

clockity
-18th September 2004, 15:50
Apparently they are designated as badminton and squash shoes by decathalon:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ukstore/produit.asp?int_DeptId=21039&int_DeptPereId=34947&int_PfId=784358

these are blue and are:

£39.99 which is reasonable for them.

In the Canada Water store they are £26.99, reduced from £39.99. They had loads of pairs in stock yesterday in both the red and blue colour schemes. They have them in the racket sport section. I've bought a red pair and will experiment fencing in them this week at our club.

If anyone can get to one of their stores, it's more than worth the trip if these other sites are charging £59.99 for them. Maybe get a red and blue pair for that price...

Glue Boy
-20th September 2004, 12:13
did any of u guys have the old equipment shoes and now have the new ones?

If so which did u prefer?

Rdb811
-25th October 2004, 23:31
Originally posted by clockity
In the Canada Water store they are £26.99, reduced from £39.99. They had loads of pairs in stock yesterday in both the red and blue colour schemes. They have them in the racket sport section. I've bought a red pair and will experiment fencing in them this week at our club.

If anyone can get to one of their stores, it's more than worth the trip if these other sites are charging £59.99 for them. Maybe get a red and blue pair for that price...

Saly the Stabil's are back at £40, but I got a pair of Hi-Tec Vipers fro £17 which seem very similar (although they were the only pair in the store) - fantastic grip on the ancient wooden floor of the Polytechnic.

clockity
-26th October 2004, 06:01
Originally posted by Rdb811
Saly the Stabil's are back at £40, but I got a pair of Hi-Tec Vipers fro £17 which seem very similar (although they were the only pair in the store) - fantastic grip on the ancient wooden floor of the Polytechnic.
Do they have enough bounce to protect your knees?

Rdb811
-26th October 2004, 12:41
Seem to - although I also think the sorbothane liners in my old boots may need replacing, but the new shoes were cheaper and have much better grip..

I found them good for fleching in , but not so good for bouncing - although that is probably because they aren't broken in and I haven't got used to the amount of grip.

I did carefully compare them to the stabil's in the shop and they seem very similar - they may be slightly better, but it will take a while to get a proper feel.

Lynne
-26th October 2004, 16:46
[

:) [/B]

My mum used to say "red shoes, no knickers"!:eek:

Moby
-26th October 2004, 16:50
Originally posted by Lynne
My mum used to say "red shoes, no knickers"!:eek:

Threestain, am glad you've not got no knickers [on]...

(Americans reading this may get confused)

Insipiens
-26th October 2004, 16:52
Seem to - although I also think the sorbothane liners in my old boots may need replacing, but the new shoes were cheaper and have much better grip..

Do sorbothane inserts really help with the stress on your knees from fencing?

Rdb811
-26th October 2004, 17:04
Originally posted by Insipiens
Do sorbothane inserts really help with the stress on your knees from fencing?

I thought they made a small but noticeable difference over the ordinary liners I had in.

Glue Boy
-27th October 2004, 10:42
get the adistars asap!

they r really nice.

They hurt 2 where 4 about 1 day.

But after that are really nice.

I had the equipments before this and i loved them, but these r even better!

Moby
-27th October 2004, 15:35
Originally posted by Sonic
get the adistars asap!

they r really nice.

They hurt 2 where 4 about 1 day.

But after that are really nice.

I had the equipments before this and i loved them, but these r even better!

I never really liked the equipments much, but do like the new adistars... a good buy (for me anyway!). They need a little breaking in, but then are fine.

Glue Boy
-2nd November 2004, 16:04
i used mine when only wearing normal socks and it was quite painful, so where sport or fencing socks with them!

Insipiens
-2nd November 2004, 16:10
If I put my Addidas D'artagnans in the washing machine will it ruin them?

Moby
-2nd November 2004, 16:12

I've never been a fan of putting shoes in the washing machine... so I never do it, so I don't know...

Steve
-2nd November 2004, 16:13
Why would you want to even try that!? Just how dirty do you get your shoes!!??!!:confused:

Rdb811
-2nd November 2004, 16:17
I'm going to wash and scrub the soles of mine - see if that aids the grip.

Glue Boy
-2nd November 2004, 16:37

i have done it with 2 pairs of equipments before i sold them to make them look in better condition! And they were fine and very clean when i got them out again :)

uk_45
-2nd November 2004, 17:14
I have the adistar on order (and have for about a month) but understand that LP are having problems getting them in

Glue Boy
-2nd November 2004, 17:18
its defo worth the wait!

Touché Turtle
-2nd November 2004, 19:29
Does anyone know of any good boots?
I have an old pair of PBT boots which are wearing out rapidly, but can't really afford new 'proper' fencing boots. (Must be boots - have a dodgy ankle!)
These Adidas Stabils sound great, but I need the ankle support.
Any ideas?

gbm
-2nd November 2004, 21:42
I'm going to wash and scrub the soles of mine - see if that aids the grip.

I actually clean the bottom of my Viktoria's before a competition with my blade cleaning block... :confused:

Boo Boo
-2nd November 2004, 22:05
Originally posted by Touche Turtle
Does anyone know of any good boots?
I have an old pair of PBT boots which are wearing out rapidly, but can't really afford new 'proper' fencing boots. (Must be boots - have a dodgy ankle!)
These Adidas Stabils sound great, but I need the ankle support.
Any ideas?

I used to wear fencing boots (very dodgy ankle), but am now on fencing shoes with a brace on my right ankle - http://www.aircast.com/products/product.htm?pid=9&pgid=87D74F9A-0415-4B4B-903A-B574CC63F9F9&rnd=152726404

This is what was recommended to me and is working out well so far.

So you could go for a pair of fencing shoes or Adidas Stabils or whatever with one of the AirSport Ankle Braces...

Boo

Boo Boo
-2nd November 2004, 22:07
I actually clean the bottom of my Viktoria's before a competition with my blade cleaning block... :confused:

What on earth for??? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Boo
(thinks GBM might want to consider going to "clean shoe sole" competitions instead...)

Touché Turtle
-2nd November 2004, 22:15
Thanks Boo Boo, it's certainly worth looking into.
Could save me a fortune, as well as being more comfortable.

Boo Boo
-2nd November 2004, 22:24
Originally posted by Touche Turtle
Thanks Boo Boo, it's certainly worth looking into.
Could save me a fortune, as well as being more comfortable.

Saves a bit, but not exactly a fortune - the AirSport braces are about £44 each (but, assuming you have only one dodgy ankle, you only need one). I ordered mine from www.physioroom.com but a number of other places will stock them.

They take a bit of fidgeting to get comfortable, but they are ok. The vbraces allows your ankle to flex (without any problem), but not twist.

So far it has worked well, but have only had it about 8 weeks (with a pair of D'Artagnan 2s) and you only know that these things actually don't work when they fail!

Still, I had - in the previous 9 months - managed to sprain my ankle twice whilst fencing in boots.... and the AirSport comes highly recommended by various coaches and other people.

Boo

gbm
-2nd November 2004, 23:05
What on earth for??? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Boo
(thinks GBM might want to consider going to "clean shoe sole" competitions instead...)

Easier than cleaning off the black sticky dirt they seem to pick up off floors with a cloth... better grip.

rory
-3rd November 2004, 08:27
Maybe not a bad idea, but I usually just put a damp cloth at the side of the piste when I need extra grip.

Although the floor at EFC was horrible last night - they've just cleaned it I think :(

gbm
-3rd November 2004, 08:42
Originally posted by rory
Maybe not a bad idea, but I usually just put a damp cloth at the side of the piste when I need extra grip.

Although the floor at EFC was horrible last night - they've just cleaned it I think :(

I do that as well, just that I find using my cleaning block easier before I start than scrubbing.

Demonic
-7th January 2005, 14:29
no its a late reply but my new adidas stabil,s arrived today :)
They feel great but need bit of breaking in due to my wide feet :tongue: so i,ll let you know how they feel after i fenced in them next week.

I got them from http://www.hockeyfactoryshop.co.uk which seems to be the cheapest online that has them in stock.

Rdb811
-7th January 2005, 14:45
They were on special offer again before Xmas at Decathlon (£27) - I've bought a pair of Hi-Tec Viser 400 that are very similar that have phenomenal grip (and colouring) - there's probably a newer model by now.

oddball
-19th January 2005, 10:21
I'm still all for the£3.95 a pair plimsolls available from Gabriels in Guernsey.

oddball
I'm still all for the£3.95 a pair plimsolls available from Gabriels in Guernsey.

oddball

gbm
-19th January 2005, 10:52
triple posting...

purple
-31st January 2005, 15:29
Oh for a really comfortable, pair of fencing boots that fit my feet well... :-).

Am using the Adidas Equipment Boots, but they are not a good fit for my short, wide feet (think Daffy Duck :o ) especially since I use Sorbathene insoles (since I am prone to bruising my heal when I lunge on hard floors...).

Boo

If you can get hold of them, the Puma fencing boots are a good move. I'm a size 5/6 foot but quite wide (often need size 7 shoes just for width), and these were a perfect fit at size five. Lasted me for two years (my darts lasted the whole of a couple of months), and have just switched to a pair of new shiny Adistars. My Pumas are now relegated to the domain of squash playing, however if I could find another pair I would grab them up in an instant.

kingbob
-9th February 2005, 13:02
Originally posted by jamesthornton
do you think that adidas should make a front foot epee shoe offering more protection from foot hits?:confused:

no you should be faster.lol

Glue Boy
-9th February 2005, 17:55
the adistars don't last 5 mins. Ages ago i lost most of the grip, and the seams ripped away so i had to glue them back together, they r gr8 but it seems like they r meant for single use only! ;)

Glue Boy
-9th February 2005, 17:55
the adistars don't last 5 mins. Ages ago i lost most of the grip, and the seams ripped away so i had to glue them back together, they r gr8 but it seems like they r meant for single use only! ;)

Glue Boy
-9th February 2005, 18:09

Steve
-9th February 2005, 20:35
Glue Boy - Point made! :tongue:

Magic Dr.Shoon
-18th February 2005, 23:01
I am very interested in these addidas stabils everyone is going on about, but i want to try them on before I buy any, but I can't seem to find a shop who sells them. Anyone know of anywhere in the uk?

Rdb811
-18th February 2005, 23:48
Decathlon - how much seems to be a bit variable.

kingkenny
-21st February 2005, 09:08
Adistar always tear at the point the picture shows the shoe needs to have a strong rubber bubble on this part of the shoe. This pair was sent back to us after 3 months being used once a week and going to two competitions. For £110.00 I would be :upset: .
http://fencingforum.com/forum/images/shoe.jpg

telkanuru
-21st February 2005, 09:31
Originally posted by Kingkenny
Adistar always tear at the point the picture shows the shoe needs to have a strong rubber bubble on this part of the shoe. This pair was sent back to us after 3 months being used once a week and going to two competitions. For £110.00 I would be :upset: .

I find my adidas fencing shoe's lifespans are directly related to the quality of my footwork. My D'Art IIs got a hole right where the tread meets the sidewall in ~2 months. I patched this with shoe goo (good stuff), and my coach has commented that my footwork has improved noticably. Nothing like the prospect of spending 55 euro every 2 months to make you shape up your form :tongue:

The person above obviously rolls his or her back foot with the lunge. That's a no-no!

Moby
-21st February 2005, 11:16
I've had a problem with my adistars too, but not the same as the one in picture. The lace eyelets are coming away from the shoe especially nearer the toe. I'd only had my shoes for 6 months at that point and was only using them for competitions and 2 training sessions to break them in (so used about 8 times in that time!). I've never had wear problems (with these or before), but I rarely turn over on my back foot, so that should be expected.

I've contacted Allstar (who I bought them from), and they said they've seen the same problem before, and have been more than willing to replace them. Hopefully they'll get a new pair in my size so that I can use them again. (Been waiting over a month now for the replacement pair).

Boo Boo
-21st February 2005, 11:31

How on earth....!

I have the D'Artanagn 2 (sp?) since Essex (beginning of September). That's five months of fencing (normally 3/4 times a week) and lessons (2/3 a week - 30 minutes+ each) and at least five competitions (some on metallic pistes). I am also a foot roller. Would expect/hope to get a few more months out of them yet.

Does this mean that the new Adistars are not for me? (was thinking of buyignt hem next time too...)

Boo

kingkenny
-21st February 2005, 12:18
If it works for you then I am very please for you. :confused:
What I am saying is that all people who roll there feet will have problems in that area so they should make it out of a strong material.

ddg
-21st February 2005, 13:05
I think that the "high" shoes created for fencing are the best but I still have a question: as I am starting, do you think that it could be good to use my motorsport racing shoes for fencing? I've one Sparco Puma and one Mir Karting.
There isn't a rule that you must buy fencing shoes, correct?
Ciao! (Bye)

Donatella

Boo Boo
-21st February 2005, 13:38
What I am saying is that all people who roll there feet will have problems in that area so they should make it out of a strong material.

Are Leon paul proposing to make fencing shoes with extra strong material in this area then...??? ;)

Boo

J_D
-21st February 2005, 13:41
I used to have a pair of Puma/Sparco racing boots, I thought they were great. Finally had to 'retire' them as the inside edge of the sole became worn and not longer provided the grip I needed.

The fact they were bright red was :grin: too!

kingkenny
-21st February 2005, 14:16
Barry is on to something but I think its harder than I make it sound as a matalic piste is like a chease slicer and all of you lot have wrongly shaped feat unlike mine which are perfect.
:rolleyes:
If you were going to make the perfect fencing shoe what features would you use from other shoes. Also more importantly what colour :tongue:

J_D
-21st February 2005, 14:23
Got to be red KK :tongue:

Glue Boy
-21st February 2005, 14:34
or see through! :)

jameshoggarth
-21st February 2005, 16:37
Oki Ni reissued the Adidas1964 olympic fencing shoe last year in a limited run (300 pairs of each colour scheme)
www.OKI-NI.co.ukClothing, they are quite stylish, made from a metal mesh (so not too sure how legal they would be on a metallic piste!) I think they have now sold out as I could not find them on their website.

The interesting thing about them was the same rubber that was used for the sole was also used on the on the sides of the shoes to proctect from wear which makes them very very sturdy. There were also holes cut out in the sole to stop your heel and ball of the foot taking such a pounding.

I think Adidas have now reissued them but not in such tasteful colours.

Boo Boo
-21st February 2005, 17:21
Barry is on to something but I think its harder than I make it sound as a matalic piste is like a chease slicer.

Will be interesting...

all of you lot have wrongly shaped feat unlike mine which are perfect.

I think that feet are hugely individual - no wonder so many people have problems when shoes are made for an "average" shaped/sized foot (not many people have an average foot...).

If you ever need some little, wide, wedge shaped feet - am sure I can be of help... :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you were going to make the perfect fencing shoe what features would you use from other shoes.

The things I notice are:
- I wear fencing shoes in two places (as detailed in the photo above - 'cos I roll my foot :o: ) and under the big toe bit of the ball of each foot (maybe I am up on the balls of my feet quite a lot and push from there when I lunge/recover etc?). Ok, maybe both of these are faults in my footwork, rather than something that should be addressed by my fencing shoes...
- comfort/"feel" trade off - fencing shoes are thin soled and can get uncomfortable (especially where worn away under the balls of my feet). But am willing to trade off comfort for being able to "feel the piste"...
- Grip - the D'Artagnan 2s aren't bad, but apparently the new Adistars are great for grip on slippy floors.
- Bruised heels: sometimes, due to lunging on very hard surfaces etc., can get bruised heels. Have fencing shoe manufacturers ever thought of building sorbathene (or similar) into their insoles as standard (since fencing is such a high impact sport for heels, knees, joints etc.)?

Also more importantly what colour :tongue:

That's a bit shallow - thought that only us girlies were supposed to be more concerned about colour than functionality... :tongue:

Boo

Glue Boy
-21st February 2005, 17:49
Originally posted by jameshoggarth
www.OKI-NI.co.ukClothing,

The link does not work

sparkymark567
-21st February 2005, 19:02
Similar thing happened to my adistars (as in the picture).
I have a tare in almost the same place. Partly due to a metallic piste, but I was expecting them to last longer (about 5 months old now). Still, I will continue to use them until my toes fall out the end.

Ulrika
-21st February 2005, 19:38
Originally posted by Glue Boy
The link does not work Nope. I can't get it to work either, even when I removed the comma in the URL. Also tried a slash between uk/clothing...

uk_45
-21st February 2005, 19:47
Got onto the site but now sign of fencing shoes

Ulrika
-21st February 2005, 19:55
Originally posted by uk_45
Got onto the site but now sign of fencing shoes Got on there as well. My God, these (http://www.oki-ni.com/okini.storefront/EN/Product/AU029A_165) are some flippin' ugly shoes...

D'Artignan
-21st February 2005, 19:57
No wonder they stopped making them...:eek:

Ulrika
-21st February 2005, 20:04
Found them (http://www.oki-ni.com/okini.storefront/EN/Product/AU029A_165)!!! :)

CRIKEY, they're only £35!!! I'd order a pair ASAP!

Novatian
-21st February 2005, 21:25
Must fencing shoes have white souls? Otherwise many other brands look good, like Human and Deisel.

PBT Hungary sells shoes and boots for mail order...

Glue Boy
-21st February 2005, 21:37
Originally posted by Novatian
Must fencing shoes have white souls?

No, like the adistars

And god those shoes r ugly!

uk_45
-21st February 2005, 22:04
Ahh kinda retro, Regarding black souls even though they are non marking if a member of sports centre staff asks you to remove them you must comply but i have never known this happen

J_D
-21st February 2005, 22:55
Must fencing shoes have white souls?

I guess it depends on their ethnic origin and personal belief system

Gav
-21st February 2005, 23:17
Ulrika,

Those are some ugly shoes.

The only thing that I noticed about them is that they don't have a rounded heel.

Demonic
-22nd February 2005, 00:41
i think the worst thing gav is i actually owned a pair very similar once but they were hi tec and illuminous green !!

what was i thinking :tongue:

oh and i used to have some silver nike boots in my electro days :tongue:

Rdb811
-22nd February 2005, 00:51
Found them at:

http://www.oki-ni.com/okini.storefront/EN/Product/AU029A_165

but size 4-7 only.

Quite tasteful with blue soles.

Also available in bronz and black.

Demonic
-22nd February 2005, 00:54
well gives me a larger more colourful target to aim at :tongue:

Rdb811
-22nd February 2005, 00:57
I use the bright colours of mine to put m oppopenent off ("Is he really wearing those ?")

Ulrika
-22nd February 2005, 08:57
Found them at:

http://www.oki-ni.com/okini.storefront/EN/Product/AU029A_165

but size 4-7 only.

Quite tasteful with blue soles.

Also available in bronz and black. Roger, that's the link to the UGLY shoes, not the fencing shoes!
I provided the link to the fencing shoes a few postings back.

Ulrika
-22nd February 2005, 09:02
Originally posted by Gav
Ulrika,

Those are some ugly shoes.

The only thing that I noticed about them is that they don't have a rounded heel. Actually, the heel IS rounded: http://www.oki-ni.com/isroot/okini/Productimage/alt/au023a_124_4.jpg.

I think these are really cool. Unfortunately it seems they don't carry half-sizes, and I can't find shipping costs anywhere?!
Does anybody know how much these would cost to ship to Sweden..?

jameshoggarth
-22nd February 2005, 10:52
The Oki Ni shoes have a rounded heel are very comfortable and seem to be better built than their modern counterparts. They are just the 1964 Adidas fencing shoe made up in custom colours.

If you are a fan of 'old skool' adidas then they are cool, though others may think of them as a dated monstrosity. They are probably the only fencing shoe that you can wear in a nightclub and get positive comments about them.

Rdb811
-22nd February 2005, 10:58
Originally posted by Ulrika
Roger, that's the link to the UGLY shoes, not the fencing shoes!
I provided the link to the fencing shoes a few postings back.

Your link points to teh ugly shoes as well - they seem to get everywhere.

Ulrika
-22nd February 2005, 11:31
Your link points to teh ugly shoes as well - they seem to get everywhere. Oh, you're right. I hadn't noticed that. Those UGLY shoes will haunt me... :confused:

Anyway, to get to the NICE fencing shoes:

Chose Sale --> Adidas Sale. Go to page 2 and there on the right you see "Fencing". Voilá!

http://www.oki-ni.com/isroot/okini/Productimage/alt/au023a_124_1.jpg

Ulrika
-22nd February 2005, 11:38
Your link points to teh ugly shoes as well - they seem to get everywhere. Oh, you're right. I hadn't noticed that. Those UGLY shoes will haunt me... :confused:

Anyway, to get to the NICE fencing shoes:

Chose Sale --> Adidas Sale. Go to page 2 and there on the right you see "Fencing". Voilá!

http://www.oki-ni.com/isroot/okini/Productimage/alt/au023a_124_1.jpghttp://www.oki-ni.com/isroot/okini/Productimage/alt/au023a_124_2.jpg
http://www.oki-ni.com/isroot/okini/Productimage/alt/au023a_124_3.jpg
http://www.oki-ni.com/isroot/okini/Productimage/alt/au023a_124_4.jpg http://www.oki-ni.com/isroot/okini/Productimage/alt/au023a_124_5.jpg
http://www.oki-ni.com/isroot/okini/Productimage/alt/au023a_124_6.jpg

Rdb811
-22nd February 2005, 11:40
Surely your second post should have been the other foot ?:)

Edit:

Sorry - hadn't seen the other pics.

Demonic
-22nd February 2005, 11:45
They remind me of my old dark blue fencing shoes.In my opinion my favourte were my old 'barcelona' green adidas boots but not ive got used to my 'stabils' im very happy with them and they have much better grip than my 'equiptment' boots..

Ulrika be aware these are retro trainers and though look good probably wont be that great for fencing as probably no or very little heal support.

Ulrika
-22nd February 2005, 11:52
Originally posted by Demonic
Ulrika be aware these are retro trainers and though look good probably wont be that great for fencing as probably no or very little heal support. Yes, I think so too as they are a remake of a model from 1964!

Still, I think they look really cool. I wasn't planning on using them for fencing, just to wear as normal shoes.

A girl can never get too many pairs of good shoes! :) :grin:

Insipiens
-22nd February 2005, 12:12
they also have them in brown - go to the following page.

still the wrong size for me though:upset:

Ulrika
-22nd February 2005, 12:24
Oooh I hadn't seen them in brown, they're even COOLER!!! *howl*

Does anybody know about shipping..? I don't want to fill out an order form before finding out the shipping cost...

Demonic
-22nd February 2005, 13:25
best bet is to email them to ask first, thats what i do when ordering stuff from the US.

jameshoggarth
-22nd February 2005, 17:02
I feel there is a lot adidas et al could note from the old shoes, the rubber coming up on the inside of the shoe is a lot more sturdy than any of the shoes on the market these days - maybe they make fencing shoes with a limited lifespan as they know they have a captive market.

Could a fencing equipment manufacturer make a glue on rubber patch to reinforce modern shoes?

randomsabreur
-22nd February 2005, 17:05
One of my old coaches had quite a good saying

"Given that the same people sell the pistes and the shoes, and they can't work out how to get the shoes to wear out the pistes, they make sure that the pistes wear out the shoes"

I suppose competition organisers are glad that it is that way round.

I am happy enough with my old equipments and as I haven't managed to kill them yet, will stick with them until I start getting holes in my shoes or my feet!

Slash
-25th February 2005, 05:46
They will haunt my dreams forever!

Novatian
-3rd March 2005, 11:52
For just $10 AUD I got a nice pair of sports shoes, light and white, not too stiff, with clear or fair rubber coming up the sides for lunges across from Sydney Town Hall. They feel nice.

27ab1c
-3rd March 2005, 20:23
The re-varnishing of the gym floor at one of our club venues prompted a shopping trip as both my faithful Reeboks and Adidas shoes started sliding around all over the place.
RESULT: spent a whole £20 on a pair of no-heel Lonsdale (they of boxing fame) trainers - remarkably good grip: better than the others were when new.

Touché Turtle
-3rd March 2005, 20:37
For just $10 AUD I got a nice pair of sports shoes, light and white, not too stiff, with clear or fair rubber coming up the sides for lunges across from Sydney Town Hall. They feel nice.

You can lunge across from Sydney town hall???? Wow, they must have some really good springy soles. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Novatian
-9th March 2005, 05:42
These shoes I hope to use in a few weeks are "Sergio Rossini" sportswear brand shoes. How about yours?

Aidyboy
-13th March 2005, 10:07
There are some fencing shoes on special offer at duellist. All are down to £20. I think I'll get me some, but could somebody tell me which are best, 'Adidas fencing shoe Barcelona', 'Adidas fencing shoe Riposte 2',or 'Adidas fencing boot Adistar Hi'?
Thanks in advance, Aidy.

Rdb811
-13th March 2005, 17:53
I use the Hi boot and really like it - great on metalic pistes, although I use squash ushoes for slippy sports halls.

They are old stock, but that isn't an issue for shoes.

Ulrika
-13th March 2005, 18:17
Originally posted by aidyboi
There are some fencing shoes on special offer at duellist. All are down to £20. I think I'll get me someDid you notice that they only have very small or very large sizes left? (3.5, 4, 4.5, 13, 14, 15)

Touché Turtle
-13th March 2005, 18:35
Originally posted by Ulrika
Did you notice that they only have very small or very large sizes left? (3.5, 4, 4.5, 13, 14, 15)

Yes. :( :mad: :upset:

Aidyboy
-13th March 2005, 18:51
darn, I'll get some 14's and grow into them. . .

Demonic
-20th March 2005, 00:45
I just looked at the negrini website www.negrini.com and seen the new victoria trainers...

Does anyone know when they will be avaliable in the UK ???

symon
-20th March 2005, 10:55
got a call from a friend who works in a local designer/trendy clthes shop last week saying they've got some trainers i might be intrested in so yesterday between shifts i thought id call in 'puma parrys' jesus whats next?? adidas equipments???

Cuppa
-20th March 2005, 16:40
You can get a pair of Puma Parries from this link

http://www.shoe-shop.com/invt/sch341418?AID=10273903&PID=1596467

for about £20. I cannot vouch for their quality or performance but good for those on a tight budget!

Magic Dr.Shoon
-21st March 2005, 15:13
Because a lot of people raved about the adidas stabils on here, I went to take a look at some while in Budapest. I noticed that most of their epee team were wearing them. BUT i also noticed that i didn't see any foilists or sabruers were wearing them. In the shop, the look huge, but were none the less very light. I asked my coach about them while I was over there and he said that they were good for epee, but for foil he recommended the d'artagnan 2s. What’s your opinion on them

Magic Dr.Shoon
-21st March 2005, 15:35
Ok... I need a new pair of fencing trainers, and it is impossible to make a decision from this thread because of so many mixed opinions. So, could someone start a poll to see who chooses which trainer, at least then I (and others) would get a figure as to which trainers are more popular.

I would do it myself, but have no idea of how to go about it!

Steve
-21st March 2005, 16:05
Originally posted by Magic Dr.Shoon
...So, could someone start a poll to see who chooses which trainer, at least then I (and others) would get a figure as to which trainers are more popular.

I would do it myself, but have no idea of how to go about it!

Nooooo, not another one!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Magic Dr.Shoon
-21st March 2005, 18:57
oh.. has someone alreasy done this?

D'Artignan
-21st March 2005, 19:00
No, but trail through chit-chat and you'll see hundreds (almost literally)