PDA

View Full Version : Leon Paul At Belfast ????

fencingdad
-18th February 2009, 07:52
Can any one find out if leon paul going to be at the World Junior and cadet Championship 2009, I want to pick up some equipment and a set of new uniform for my son, if possible at site.

Thanks

cesh_fencing
-18th February 2009, 18:16
The event partners does not include Leon Paul, however I guess barry will be along with his white van out the back!!!

On the website event partners are detailed (www.worldfencing2009.com/english-eng/event-partners), however I better not post that suppliers name else the moderators will pull the post.

Interesting to have a British Fencing run event without Leon Paul...

Barry any comment?

Foilling Around
-18th February 2009, 20:38
Why on earth do we have to be exclusive. If I remember in Turkey for the Junior and Cadets before last there were Allstar, Uhlmann, PBT and possibly Negrini stands. All were officially set up.

What is wrong with having more than one stand?

Tubby
-18th February 2009, 20:46
Similar in Acireale - the two big Italian suppliers, the big German one, cannot remember if PBT was there. I think the fee being asked for in Sicily was very high.

cesh_fencing
-18th February 2009, 21:17
What is wrong with having more than one stand?

I think the main issue in this country started when the BFA (as it was then) sold all of the association's competition kit to Leon Paul for £1 (or some such nominal amount) after the sale of the De Beaumont centre. The association (now British Fencing) has never again been able to run competitions independantly from LP (Nationals, Juniors/Cadets, BYCs, Eden Cup etc) as they relied totally on them for competition equipment.

With this leverage over competition kit, the supplier of it can ensure noone else gets a look in (as you see at every British championship).

As Allstar/Uhlmann have obviously been opted for by British Fencing for this event, which is probably the most important event we have had in this country in decades, you can hardly blame Allstar/Uhlmann for returning the favour.

Going forward I am sure most suppliers would prefer a more open market and the ability to attend all British Events (and pay for the pleasure or bring hardware for the event), however whilst there is not an open market place at British National events, you can hardly expect it at events that LP are not supplying the kit.

wingnutLP
-19th February 2009, 09:53
Leon Paul have not yet decided if we will take a stand to Belfast but the organisers are happy for us to have one there.
For the record another supplier was not “chosen” by BF; Leon Paul retracted our bid leaving a one horse race.

cesh_fencing
-19th February 2009, 10:49
For the record another supplier was not “chosen” by BF; Leon Paul retracted our bid leaving a one horse race.

It would seem very strange that LP would opt out of being more involved in such a showcase event especially as it is being run by British Fencing and LP being the BF sponsors.

Surely a choice of 2 competing bids to run the event would have been beneficial to the championships as a whole.

It is a strange world we live in!

fencingmaster
-19th February 2009, 12:54
On the website event partners are detailed (http://www.worldfencing2009.com/engl...vent-partners) (http://www.worldfencing2009.com/english-eng/event-partners)), however I better not post that suppliers name else the moderators will pull the post

......or the website...........link does not work..........time for conspiracy theorists!

fencingmaster
-19th February 2009, 12:56
OK...so I found the link!

JonM
-19th February 2009, 14:34
As stated above, Leon Paul have been invited to take a stand at the C&J Worlds. Allstar Uhlman will be there as they are providing pistes and apparatus. PBT Hungary are there. Invitations have been sent to every major supplier.

cesh_fencing
-19th February 2009, 14:45
It will be great to see the Allstar/Uhlmann set-up at a really major UK event. At the Europeans it was good (scoring screens on each piste with pictures of athletes etc), and I hope it will be better at Belfast.

It will be very interesting to see what happens and which companies get business at the event.

I look forward to BF being able to open up the market to other suppliers at British Nationals, BYCs and the like as this is happening at this BF run event.

Foilling Around
-19th February 2009, 14:55
As stated above, Leon Paul have been invited to take a stand at the C&J Worlds. Allstar Uhlman will be there as they are providing pistes and apparatus. PBT Hungary are there. Invitations have been sent to every major supplier.

Brilliant Jon,

Much though I love Barry to bits (!!) and buy most of my kit from him it is good to be on a par with the rest of the world.

Foilling Around
-19th February 2009, 14:57
It will be great to see the Allstar/Uhlmann set-up at a really major UK event. At the Europeans it was good (scoring screens on each piste with pictures of athletes etc), and I hope it will be better at Belfast.

It will be very interesting to see what happens and which companies get business at the event.

I look forward to BF being able to open up the market to other suppliers at British Nationals, BYCs and the like as this is happening at this BF run event.

Actually isn't this an FIE event organised by British Fencing so we would have no right to restrict things just to LP, whatever the contractual terms of LP sponsorship might be.

Tubby
-19th February 2009, 23:12
I believe you are correct.

cesh_fencing
-20th February 2009, 19:17
That is a pretty good point, I guess the agreement between LP & BF is only known to the parties themselves so I would not want to guess what is in it.

I think it is great that for the first time (I am guessing) at a major British based event (in a generation) that all the major kit companies have the opportunity to show their kit to the general fencing community in this way in one place. I am sure all the companies who sell FIE International gear will jump at the opportunity to showcase their equipment to the world wide market.

riposteinprime
-21st February 2009, 13:21

I think this is the Ophardt system (fencingworldwide.com), rather than allstar/uhlmann.

It looks like we'll have them in Belfast, which is wonderful.

JonM
-21st February 2009, 15:04
To take the guesswork out of the discussion the technical suppliers confirmed so far are:
Ophardt: accreditation, computers, live internet scoring, results service, provision of info screens.
Allstar: 21 preliminary pistes and apparatus (screens on each piste), finals piste and apparatus, spools to L32.
Kabcom: 4 x L32 pistes (the aluminium coloured pistes used at the Olympics) including double-sided score boards, L32 tableau display boards.
Swiss Timing: video replay for referees on L32 and finals pistes.

cesh_fencing
-21st February 2009, 20:25
It will be great to see the whole venue set-up.

Should be really impressive.