PDA

View Full Version : GB Cadet and Junior Worlds Team

Red
-24th February 2009, 14:47
The team has been selected and posted here -
http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=1288
Following last year's lack of a WF team, there are now only MF, ME and WE teams as it appears the other weapons didn't qualify three people.

Could the MS, WF and WS teams have taken the top cadet as the third team member?

Boo Boo
-24th February 2009, 15:10
Could the MS, WF and WS teams have taken the top cadet as the third team member?

Does seem like another "missed opportunity"... :(

Very best wishes to all those selected though :)

Boo

Foilling Around
-24th February 2009, 16:25
I am in an akward position here, but it is a shame that a precedent was set last year when part qualified fencers were sent to make up the team. (I cite ME as an example)

This has meant that some fencers were half hoping that the IC would be consistent and do the same this year.

Then this year, when it is on home turf, that precedent is overturned. As per usual we are shifting the goal posts.

Please at least let us have some consistency.

If this decision sticks, then if we ever again take fencers who are not fully qualified for an event then I will kill someone!

Couldn't the 3rd fencer for MS, WS and WF have just gone over for the team event only? This for me would be the best compromise.

At present the qualified fencers for those weapons are losing out.

Like Baldric, I can see both sides of the argument, and I have a daughter involved, but I do think that we should have a team in every weapon, even if part qualified fencers do not fence in the individuals.

This would showcase British Fencing at our first World Championships for, I think, 40 years whilst maintaining the integrity of the qualification system.

Foilling Around
-24th February 2009, 16:29
The team has been selected and posted here -
http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=1288
Following last year's lack of a WF team, there are now only MF, ME and WE teams as it appears the other weapons didn't qualify three people.

I don't see how allowing the top cadet to fmake up the team is any fairer than allowing a part qualified junior to do so. Traditionally the top cadet has been asked to stay on as the reserve if there has not been a 4th Junior, but that is different to selecting them as a first pick team member.

Boo Boo
-24th February 2009, 16:38
Please at least let us have some consistency.

If this decision sticks, then if we ever again take fencers who are not fully qualified for an event then I will kill someone!

Will this policy be consistently applied for London 2012 too... If we don't happen to qualify a full quota of fencers for the Olympics, will BF refuse the extra places? :whistle: ;)

(FA... "Death by slow slicing" - apparently a particularly gruesome Chinese torture... :grin: )

Boo

Miss_P
-25th February 2009, 10:40
The 4th fencer in the men's epee team is the only person who will not have met the qualifying standard, both reserves in the foil and women's epee teams have met the qualifying standard.

The IC obviously could have made a decision to include 4 other non-qualified fencers to enable GBR to have 6 teams in Belfast.