PDA

View Full Version : S.E Regionals

Aoife
-30th November 2003, 17:55
I just got back from the S.E Regionals in Crawely... now, let me tell you a tale of common as muck state (ahem, Grammar) school fencers meeting the rich and well-equiped public school fencers......

It was a cold and dreary morning, and Aoife was rushing about the house panicking (often whilst muttering "Don't panic, don't panic"). Her irrate father (who'd been up cooking bacon for her at 5.15 in the morning) bundled her and her kit (which she was still panicking about) into the car in an attempt to stop her panicking.

A few minutes later Aoife and her dad arrived at the home of club member Sarah, who was also coming along to the competition. Sarah too had tried to choke down a tasteless bacon sarnie, and was too panicking. She got in the car with Aoife and her dad and on they drove until we reached their coach's house. He still hadn't had a coffee, so they all waited for him to do that... whilst he made them panic about kit and paperwork (like asking 'do you have X?' 'do you have Y'? 'have you remembered your Q?' constantly).

All of them set off again... listening to New Wave punk (as everyone should at that time of the morning) and (their tastebuds working now) they tucked in to a healthy breakfast of chocolate and caffine.

After some time (and a stop in a garage place) they found themselves driving alongside the grounds of a highly impressive school. They drove through huge gates, along a drive surrounded by rolling fields, over which phesents were flying (seriously) and pulled to a stop by a building which the coach quite rightly pointed out could have been used to film Harry Potter at. They sat back in aw, and the coach exclaimed "Now I wish I'd shaved.".

They walked up to the sportshall, kit in hands, generally marvelling at the school (and feeling dreadfully common... and debating whether they could somehow get a phesent home for dinner without anyone noticing). When they arrived they found they were the first there. Even before the people setting up. Whoops.

However, they hung around, and the place started filling up, Sarah and Aoife went to sign in and register as BFA members for the first time. Then they went back and by a process of trial and error (and help from their coach) learnt how to get themselves into electric kit. They had the unnerving feeling that everyone knew they were newbies... It could have been when they unrapped never used electric kit that gave it away :)

In ther poole (and indeed their age group) there was a grand total of 5 fencers. All the others seemed to be public schools. They fenced their best- Aoife lost one out of four fights, unfortuantly Sarah lost all hers (some were very very close though, and all were really impressive! All you need to do is push a little harder when you make contact girl!).

It didn't occure to Aoife until the end, that having won most of her fights, she might be through to what she though would be another round.... but to her intense surprise/horror/delight she was infact through to the Finals in January! :eek: She got her silver medal (or somebody called 'offy' did anyway :shrug: )

And everybody lived happily ever after.

Phew. I'm shattered. Should get us a little funding off the school, it's the furthest anybody's got in any sport for about 20 years, so they'll be more than happy to help (read: get publicity).

On the way back we all got late lunch and then the car broke down, so we sat around in the service station and waited for the AA who slammed the starter engine with a big metal stick (we could have done that ourselves!)

All in all it was a very fun day (and rather amusing in the way the public school students were so shocked we'd never fenced electric - "Why don't you have electric pistes at school?" "Because we need text books." - well it's the answer the school always gives us :grin: )

stevejackson
-30th November 2003, 19:08
Aoife, well done. Hope you learned from your first competition. Welcome to the BFA.

Stop panicing, a little panic never hurt anyone but doesn't do much good either, save the energy for your fencing. Next time remember how you felt and see if you can learn from this.

Also, this is a bit early for you, later in your carear remember your first competition and when you see fencers just out of the box don't just see them as rabits. A little help a gentle joke will do them wonders, give you the reputation as a sage and put some of the pleasure you've had from fencing back for others.

PM1
-30th November 2003, 19:21
Hoooray!!!!!!well done that girl !!!!! Didn't we tell you it would be good ????

Steve speaks wise words - shame on the others for not helping you. Not in the spirit of things at all, and I speak as someone whose kids are at Public school.

Well, you're in the big time now - done your first comp, and off to Stoke in January. Need to sort you a few more comps out before then, so look around at local things, pm Rdb18 and others, and see what LPJS has to offer. You're jogging along now, lets see what more we can do for you without you feeling too deflated.

You'll never forget today, ever. Take it and learn from it.

Well done the 2 of you, I'd say.:grin:
(and well done dad, too !!)

Boo Boo
-30th November 2003, 19:46
Great result and fantastic that you have qualified for the British Youth Championships this January. You will find the information at http://www.britishfencing.com/britishyouth.html - so this gives you a bit of time to get yourself prepared (Stoke-on-Trent, Sunday 25th February, check-in closes at 10am). Can you make that competition?

Shame that there weren't many entries, though - sounds as though you drove a long way and got up very early for not an awful lot of fencing with new people. Still, the BYCs will be fantastic - you will really enjoy them

Boo

PM1
-30th November 2003, 19:57
Sunday 25th JANUARY, not Feb - LA sun got to you, Boo !!

Aoife
-30th November 2003, 20:02
Thank you everyone!!!

Next time remember how you felt and see if you can learn from this.

I should be calmer next time- the whole 'will the electric stuff work?' worry will be out of the way at least.

shame on the others for not helping you.

It was less a case of not being helped and more a case of not knowing what to do and turning to the nearest people- not scary looking strangers with swords. Once we knew what we were doing with all those clips and things it was okay.

Can you make that competition?

Oooh I think so :grin: . Might have to go up the night before though (hmmmn, I can see tyring to talk the school into funding that :) ).

sounds as though you drove a long way and got up very early for not an awful lot of fencing with new people.

True, but we can have small comps with local clubs to fence new people the fencing electric was really invaluable to us!

Ta again. I suspect I'll be seeing some people from here at the BYCs?

PM1
-30th November 2003, 20:28
Likely quite a few of us will be around Stoke that weekend.....Do try and get there the day before if you can. There are several places to stay without costing a fortune, tho' I know 45 squid for a twin room including brekkie can be a lot for many, but if you COULD get it together for that event it would be a good idea. If you can get up before the end of the Saturday events you can find out where Fenton Manor is (bring the swimming kit, too), see the size of the 2 halls (not small), and possibly get some idea of what happens. In that way, you should not be quite so overcome by it all when it happens to you, if you see what I mean.

Leaving travelling so far until the morning of the comp could be pushing it just a bit too much, but get the chaufeur or yourself to sort the distance out via the AA or whatever, and cost it out. If you're going to book a place to stay, do it asap. PM me if you would like to....happy to help !!

Tubby
-30th November 2003, 20:46
Yep - me and the brood will be there. A tip for you - get your coach to test your foils before hand. There is weight testing at the BYC. You will need to have at least 2 working foils when you arrive at the piste for each fight. Also its prudent to have a couple of spare body wires.
As you fence with a french grip you don't have to worry about an allen key. You may want to have some electric tape handy. There is usually an armoury service at the BYC if your kit goes fizz, so don't worry about not knowing what to do.
Oh, its a long long long day, especially if you start to get through the DEs.

The girls is on Sunday, if you are going to over night you should turn up to watch some of the boys on Saturday (steady) that way you can get used to the venue which is HUGE and like nothing you'd have seen before in the context of fencing! So scope it out that way you're not over awed on the day it matters.

stevejackson
-30th November 2003, 20:49
Me, speaking wise words? PM1 don't tell my family I'll never live it down.

Time now for some more wise advice. This time on something I do know about. Never ever believe that your electric kit will work next time out. If BFA had a pound for everyone who's told me "it can't be my kit it worked fine last ......" then British fencings funding problem would be over.

It's worth while checking the screws are tight on your body wire - While you're fencing the glow ladies develop (Sweat for us males ) sneeks into the screw threads and causes corrosion which stops the electrons getting through, I suggest every 3 months or so slacken the screws off and re tighten. This should solve the problem.

Always check your electrics work before going to the next competition. If you don't know how to do this yourself find someone with a continuity tester and give them the following information The wires in your body wire should be continuous and less than 1 ohm (accept 5 for a core but only if total for pair and foil is less than 10) The foil should be continuous and a resistance of less than 2 ohms (accept less than 5 but see combination). The resistance should be infinite when the tip is depressed.

One final trick if you rest the point on the ground and the foil circuit breaks change the pressure spring - you won't pass the weight test (old 500gm standard)

PM1
-30th November 2003, 21:13
See Aoife - steve gets to give wise advice twice in the same thread (!), and Tubs gives you advice from trolling a girlie around. Words of the wise to someone starting out......anyway, just enjoy. We've been thru it all before you, so learn from where we might have got it a tad wiffy when we did it first time.

Rdb811
-30th November 2003, 21:29
Very well done !!!

(I trust you ogt the press release sorted out as well).

One thing I do is to have a brand new body wire available just for competitions so I don't have to worry about them.

Rdb811
-30th November 2003, 21:37
The competition Aoife attended was the U16 and U18 Foil - the Epee and Sabre (U14, U16, U18 - not sure about U12) will be next weekend at Beverly School, New Malden. (Kingston FC's venue). Details are at http://www.scfu.homestead.com/files/Entry_Form/2003_2004/7Dec03_IssE_Details_SE_Region_U14_16_18_E_S.doc

PM me if you need further information - I will be running the En Garde.

kitten
-1st December 2003, 11:05
<waves at fellow S.E region-er>

Well done Aofie, if you're SE I expect I'll see you round at some point.

xox

pinkelephant
-1st December 2003, 12:55
Well done Aoife. Will be at Stoke and will look out for you - good luck. If you have any equipment problems, or don't know how stuff like seeding for the next round works, just ask and we'll try to sort you out. Some of us who teach at Public Schools don't have enormous budgets ourselves, so we know what it's like. And some of us went to state schools ourselves!

Good luck!!

jonny
-1st December 2003, 18:50
Congrats Aoife! :party:

btw I noticed the L8 of some of the other age groups got medals, I was 7th in the U18's, do i get a chunk o' metal?

NoT V gOOd!
-1st December 2003, 20:04
J. Harris.. R the The Kiddy that comes along on fridays @ BGS occasionally.. And like has the black stripy adidas trousers? Well i the kiddy that has the blue lamee and is quite good :P

jonny
-1st December 2003, 21:31
:) cool. you gotta name or shall i just call you "kiddy in blue lame and is quite good"?

Moose
-2nd December 2003, 03:42
I know its a bit late, but congrats Aoife! Will def be taking that weekend off work, cos Stoke aint that far from here. Best of luck for it.

Oh and if you're looking for Stoke accomodation, the hotel opposite the train station is very nice and quite reasonable too (Think its called the Stafford Hotel, but not 100%)

Aoife
-2nd December 2003, 14:17
Thank you everyone!

At the moment we're just thinking of ways to raise money to get up there/ buy the kit I need (800N plastron).

I don't think we have to worry too much about our electric kit, as the BYCs will be only the second time they've ever been used (don't know where I'd find a kit-testing person anyway)

Thanks for the accomodation advice everyone! I'll look into it.

Argh! It's so scary. I hope I'll still have a coach after Christmas. If I don't trying to train could be a problem! :rolleyes:

aao
-2nd December 2003, 14:32
Well you'll certainly enjoy yourself up in the BYC's its a great competition for younger fencers, and like somebody else said, quite unlike any other under 18 competition in the country (apart from the Public Schools).

On the kit front just ask somebody in your club, all you need for foil is a 500gr test weight which somebody is bound to have, if not, don't worry the BYC's tend to have a good armouring service who generally with subtle bribes (a pint seems to be the going rate ;)) will be quite happy to help you with any kit problems :)

stevejackson
-2nd December 2003, 20:04
Originally posted by aao
don't worry the BYC's tend to have a good armouring service who generally with subtle bribes (a pint seems to be the going rate ;)) will be quite happy to help you with any kit problems :)

Damn, The armourers have upped the bribe and not told me. I'm still working on the standard rate of a black coffee, From now on it'll have to be two black coffees.

This is the BYC foil isn't it? If so regretably I won't be there a little mattter of a minor sabre competition (Something about A grades and Corble cup) that clashes. Don't know who's running the Armoury there - I suspect John Kenedy but he was muttering about going as a coach.

Moose
-2nd December 2003, 23:09
Oooh, Gimli's gonna be there? Def gonna have to go cos I've not seen him in ages.

NoT V gOOd!
-3rd December 2003, 21:27
J.Harris i am Tris.

Ummm BYC's ohh the fun of it all. The guys is on the sat? This is so annoying why arent the boys and girls competitions on the same day. Cos i like seeing all my girly friends.. And i really cant b arsed 2 stay on sunday. Sleep is needed. BYC's is good fun, unless u are makin a habit of not quite winning them.. 15 -14 2 years ago in final and 15-13 in L8 last year with easy draw 2 the final. This year mite b different Unless Rosowsky can stop me. Which the way i fencing is very likely owww!!

Aoife
-3rd December 2003, 21:45
On the kit front just ask somebody in your club, all you need for foil is a 500gr test weight which somebody is bound to have,

:rolling:

This is the club which is still dithering over whether to shill out 28 for BFA Affiliation for Christ's sake! I've got more kit than anybody there and I don't even own my own glove, jaket, mask, or any 'lecy kit! :grin:

I'm just thinking of sneaing along to a nearby club for a night and getting them to test the stuff.

Prometheus
-3rd December 2003, 23:19
Aoife,

Most local authorities have some form of grant available for individual fencers who have reached County to national level.

They normally cover travel/accomodation costs etc. Remember you are representing yourself, not just your school (who clearly can't see the higher purpose in your altruistic mission...);)

I feel certain you qualify for these, you should investigate!

Good luck, to quote an eighties pop band: 'money for mothing and your chicks for free', now that seems inappropriate?!:rolleyes:

Prometheus (wishing he'd known of these when he was a nipper! )

Prometheus
-3rd December 2003, 23:25
Originally posted by stevejackson
Damn, The armourers have upped the bribe and not told me. I'm still working on the standard rate of a black coffee, From now on it'll have to be two black coffees.

Mr Jackson,

If you wish to continue receiving my bribes I need a number of maraging blades re-wiring (he's been skiving off club nights recently! some pathetic excuse about BFA or family commitments no doubt;) )

If you are planning to achieve world domination Auric Goldfinger - how is the footwork/posture practice I suggested you practice at home going?? :moon:

Boo Boo
-3rd December 2003, 23:36
Originally posted by Prometheus
Most local authorities have some form of grant available for individual fencers who have reached County to national level.

Are these only for kiddies?

Boo
(who even had to pay to do Excalibur, the past two years, because her county has no money...)

Moose
-4th December 2003, 04:29
I've had to pay for Excalibur too. Tho we did get the Uni to cough up SOME money however :grin:

Aoife
-4th December 2003, 11:19

I've found....

For 15 - 23 yrs olds. All-England Schools finalists/County representative level and above. Applications are invited for grants from young athletes who are in education and may need financial help towards training or provision of equipment. 100-300.

Unfortuantly... last applications for it were on November 30th! Doh!

There's a few other funding ideas on the site though, so I'll give them a look.

Prometheus
-4th December 2003, 11:24
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Are these only for kiddies?

Boo
(who even had to pay to do Excalibur, the past two years, because her county has no money...)

Poor Boo,

If you're lucky they would consider adults - and even Boo Boos

Boo Boo, Just hope they're not means tested though :cash:

Prometheus (wishing he was county level and had wads of cash granted him, what for doing nothing???!:rolleyes: )

Boo Boo
-4th December 2003, 11:57
Means tested...?

If outgoings > income, surely that means person in need?

Boo
(whose fencing expenses are frightening :( ).

Moose
-4th December 2003, 22:39
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Boo
(whose fencing expenses are frightening :( ).

Alcohol in the Huntsman doesn't count Boo....

Boo Boo
-4th December 2003, 23:08
Originally posted by Moose
Alcohol in the Huntsman doesn't count Boo....

Ah "The Huntsman" - territory of "yokels" (very scarey Bath residents who only seem to appear after dark...) and taken over by fencing visitors (one night a year)...

Must be the cause of many hung over fencers on the second day of Excalibur...

Boo
(far too old and boring to spend much time in the Huntsman...)

jonny
-11th December 2003, 15:31
All in all it was a very fun day (and rather amusing in the way the public school students were so shocked we'd never fenced electric - "Why don't you have electric pistes at school?" "Because we need text books." - well it's the answer the school always gives us

don't you go to a grammar school?

Rdb811
-12th December 2003, 12:45
The SE youth Epe and Sabre results are posted here:

http://www.streathamfencing.org/Local_Events/SE_Epee_and_Sabre_2003/se_epee_and_sabre_2003.html

Aoife
-15th December 2003, 11:40
don't you go to a grammar school?

True, but a grammar school in one of the 13 most deprived areas in the country, who've had damaging budget cuts two years in a row.

frazzled
-15th December 2003, 13:04
Sorry - I seem to have lost the plot here.

What has going to a Grammar school got to do with fencing on electric pistes?

My son attends a Grammar school and was at the SE Fencing (did very well I thought) but he does not fence at school. They are only interested in Rugby and cricket.

You mean to say there are Grammar schools out there that fence????????????

Rdb811
-15th December 2003, 15:31
Originally posted by Aoife
in one of the 13 most deprived areas in the country,

Eh ??

Tubby
-15th December 2003, 22:38
Originally posted by Rdb811
Eh ?? ditto

Aoife
-19th December 2003, 21:06
Eh ??

I live in Thanet. Whilst Kent is a rich area, Thanet is rather poor. High unemployment, high teenage pregancy, high truenting et cetera. I don't know where we come in the top thirteen (though it'd be interesting to find out), but David Milliband said we were in the top thirteen most deprived areas in the country into which money is being poured for education (shame he failed to mention it was being poured into one school in particular, and not from the government, but mostly from Saga- before they vannished recently).

You mean to say there are Grammar schools out there that fence????????????

Well, there's ours :) Don't know how many others there are.

What has going to a Grammar school got to do with fencing on electric pistes?

Grammar schools, being state schools, tend not to have the spare cash floating around to purchase electric scoring equipment (or indeed enough chestguards to go around on a busy night!)

Rdb811
-19th December 2003, 23:35
but David Milliband said we were in the top thirteen most deprived areas in the country into which money is being poured for education

A) you believed him ?

B) poured = p*ssed away on useless bureaucrats

kitten
-20th December 2003, 10:16
The SE youth Epe and Sabre results are posted here:

http://www.streathamfencing.org/Local_Events/SE_Epee_and_Sabre_2003/se_epee_and_sabre_2003.html
"The epee and sabre events in the South East Youth Championships took place at Beverly School in New Malden today. 95 fencers from 21 schools and clubs in the region took part, competing for places in the British Youth Championships.

Surrey fencers made a strong challenge - London Thames, based in Barnes, claimed individual honours at U16 level, with Emily Bottle at epee and Fredericka Greatorex at sabre, while neighbours Kings College School, Wimbledon, had successes with Alex Horlock (U18 Sabre) and Patrick McGloin (U16 Epee).

Success was spread around the county - On-yee Wong (Old Palace School, Croydon) won the U14 Girls Sabre, while Guildford's Chris Schofield cruised to the U16 Boy's Sabre title, defeating Steve Jefferies and Ning Kim of Whitgift School, Croydon, along the way.

Woking's Tom Rowles defeated club mate Conrad Cotton-Barrat in the U14 Boy's Epee, with Rose Fenton (Reigate, U14 Epee) completing the county's roster of successes.

"

OooO
OoooooOoOo
OoOoOooooooooooooooo
Yay!!!

Thanx Roger
xox

Rdb811
-20th December 2003, 12:37
Cheers - th bit about Chris also appeared in the urey Advertiser - I've just had another release appear fo the Barwell Cup appear in the Wandsworth Borough News and Streatham Guardian in which hr got mentioned

Moose
-24th December 2003, 00:30
Cheers - th bit about Chris also appeared in the urey Advertiser - I've just had another release appear fo the Barwell Cup appear in the Wandsworth Borough News and Streatham Guardian in which hr got mentioned

You been drinking Roger?

Aoife
-27th December 2003, 15:42
A) you believed him ?

I don't belive much he says, having witnesses him lie about educational fnding in our area to a room full of sudents (a good deal from my school knowing full well he was lying) but I think that bit's true- Thanet is deprived area- it's why Pfizer moved in here; the high unemployment rate.

Rdb811
-28th December 2003, 20:08
Originally posted by Moose
You been drinking Roger?

what me drink ?

(I think I was typing after our Christmas dinner.)

Rdb811
-28th December 2003, 20:22
I don't belive much he says, having witnesses him lie about educational fnding in our area to a room full of sudents (a good deal from my school knowing full well he was lying) but I think that bit's true- Thanet is deprived area- it's why Pfizer moved in here; the high unemployment rate.

I don't doubt that Thanet is one of the less prosperous ares of the SE - it's the 13th in "the country" bit of the argument I was having probems with. (13th out of how many, for instance).