PDA

View Full Version : European Under 23 Championships

Foilling Around
-2nd March 2009, 15:51
These are being held in Debrecen, Hungary 08-10 May 2009

Can anybody find any published selection criteria for this event?

I've searched and can't find any. I've been told verbally an unofficially, but I have not seen it in writing.

cesh_fencing
-2nd March 2009, 17:42
For anyone going, Debrechan is a great city (where Daid Kirby bases his Summer camp), and has great restaurants.

I am envious of anyone going

However I don't think direct flights are available so you need to go via budapest and endure a 3hr coach trip to get there.

PM1
-2nd March 2009, 22:33
No idea about GB selection criteria this year: last year, people were invited to apply - there was an "invitation" on the BF website. Hope it's a bit more "selective" this year, tho' I have to say, Boy took his opportunity and had a fine time.

Red
-2nd March 2009, 23:11
So two months before an event, a member of the foil committee is asking the world if they know the selection criteria for a 'major' competition? Is it me or does that demonstrate that something is hideously wrong with communication from the IC and weapon committees? If members of these committees don't know, what chance have the rest of us got?

Foilling Around
-2nd March 2009, 23:12
No idea about GB selection criteria this year: last year, people were invited to apply - there was an "invitation" on the BF website. Hope it's a bit more "selective" this year, tho' I have to say, Boy took his opportunity and had a fine time.

I understand that is going to happen again this year, but I can't understand why it has not been put in writing anywhere.

We seem to be settling into an era where there will be Cadet and U23 Champs at Continental level and Junior and Senior Champs at World Level.

For next year we really have to embrace this and restructure the qualifaction timetable and criteria.

Foilling Around
-2nd March 2009, 23:21
So two months before an event, a member of the foil committee is asking the world if they know the selection criteria for a 'major' competition? Is it me or does that demonstrate that something is hideously wrong with communication from the IC and weapon committees? If members of these committees don't know, what chance have the rest of us got?

I just get the impression that this event is not being taken seriously.

I do take your point however on communications.

I have recently had an international fencer ask me to clarify whether it is it still top 50% to score international points - That is 3 or 4 World Cup events into the season.

I don't blame that fencer, but I do blame a lack of back up support who should be ensuring that those competing in World Cup events know what their target is.

Red
-2nd March 2009, 23:29
I've emailed Paul Greening and Graham Paul. I'd hope that they'll be able to let me know what the criteria are.

Foilling Around
-3rd March 2009, 20:08
Link:

http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=1296

I am assuming that age qualification is born in 1986 or later.

One of our problems is that many of out top U23 fencers are also our top U20 fencers. They have to a great extent focussed on the JWC and not domestic adult points.

That means that in WF our top 2 in the Under 20s are way outside the top 10 in the adult rankings.

pinkelephant
-3rd March 2009, 20:14
It clashes with the Monal again, as it did last year.

Red
-3rd March 2009, 20:32
It clashes with the Monal again, as it did last year.

And with Ghent WS.

TomA
-3rd March 2009, 20:42
One of our problems is that many of out top U23 fencers are also our top U20 fencers. They have to a great extent focussed on the JWC and not domestic adult points.

That means that in WF our top 2 in the Under 20s are way outside the top 10 in the adult rankings.Also, it's on the junior nominated list for Men's Epee - seems a bit unfair to publish the selection criteria now when all the major events UK senior events are done and dusted. Maybe it should be top 10 Seniors and top 5 Juniors?

Red
-13th April 2009, 23:18
Does anybody know when the team for this will be published. It's getting close and Debrecen isn't the easiest place in the world to get to.

Red
-14th April 2009, 11:31
It's getting close and Debrecen isn't the easiest place in the world to get to.

Never mind, found the event website and they're sorting transport out from Budapest as part of the hotel package, so less of an issue.

Red
-21st April 2009, 16:48
Team posted here - http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=1377

Women's Epee
Mary Cohen
Elisa Albini
Hannah Lawrence

Men's Foil
Ben Peggs
Daniel Robinson

Men's Epee
James Thornton

anothermum
-8th May 2009, 10:21
Men's foil today (on piste now)
Men's epee tomorrow
Women's epee Sunday

This appears to be the website

http://www.u23fencingdebrecen.eu/en

pigeonmeister
-8th May 2009, 12:48
Dan Robinson 0/5
Ben Peggs 3/5

Keith.A.Smith
-11th May 2009, 17:36
Dear All,

Congratulations to Ben Peggs who made the top 16 and also to Mary Cohen, who also made the top 16 at these European Championships.

Also well done to Murray Morrison who refereed the semi finals in both men's and women's sabre.

The selection criteria were agreed some time back by the IC and the weapons all sit on the IC. I then published the notice on the BFA web site and had applications for the team.

Best wishes,

Keith