PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's Achievers dates

Baldric
-12th March 2009, 23:43
The 2009 provisional calendar for Tomorrows Achievers (TA) training sessions is now available on the England Fencing website here http://www.englandfencing.org.uk/youth/tomorrow-achievers

Its still a bit light on detail, but Matt wanted to get it out into the public domain as soon as possible, so that the dates were publicised. Since we have lost our permanent home at Upper Heyford, TA will be travelling around the country a bit more. Exact locations depend on the support that we can get from various regional partners.

Since TAs lapsed a bit during 2008 after losing the venue, its possible that some of the younger fencers and new parents may not know about it, so forgive me if I bore some of the older hands with a brief description.

TA is the England Fencing youth development programme, aimed primarily at pre-cadet fencers (aged 11 - 15) although many fencers continue to attend sessions as cadets.

It offers whole day training sessions in all sorts of areas, including footwork, fitness, fencing (obviously!), tactical planning, nutrition, refereeing, armoury etc, as well as offering parents and fencers a networking opportunity to learn more about how the system works, and how to make the most of their child's potential.

It is designed to be complementary to club training, and offers a standard of sparring that can only be achieved by a national squad.

TA sessions are not aimed at beginners, but at serious competitive young fencers with aspirations to represent their country at international level. TA also runs international trips, representing England, to the Paris CEP Marathon (foil) and the Challenge Wratislava (epee). We hope to also offer a sabre trip at some point in the future.

We do some talent scouting, but it is not possible for us to see and invite every promising young fencer throughout the country, so if you think that you/your child might benefit, please contact Matt Thompson (England Youth Director) at matthew dot thompson @ england dot fencing dot org dot uk , giving name, age, weapon and a brief synopsis of experience and achievements.

Alternatively, if you prefer a more informal approach, you can PM me with the same information.

Ray Stafford.
(on behalf of England Fencing TAs)

PS - with the advent of the new England website, I will be discontinuing the old TA website, although it may remain on line as a place to store the hundreds of photos of various England events that people have sent me over the last few years.

Baldric
-13th March 2009, 01:11
so if you think that you/your child might benefit, please contact Matt Thompson (England Youth Director) at matthew dot thompson @ england dot fencing dot org dot uk

Sorry, I made an error posting Matt's email address. There should be no "dot" between "england" and "fencing".

Matt's email address can also be found here: http://www.englandfencing.org.uk/contacts

uphillstruggler
-13th March 2009, 09:57
Baldic and Mat well done in breating new life into the TA.
I have one complaint why do the first three (might be more but was too fed up to look) dates all clash with sabre events? I am a big fan of the TAs has it allows all three weapons to meet and train together. It also allows those that meet to compete to train and get to know each other. I appreciate the dates are set now but please can we consider Sabre as well.

Tubby
-13th March 2009, 11:43
If you would like I could look into arranging a free brand spaking new 8 badminton court sized venue in Bradford (West Yorkshire) for one of the dates. Let me know.

Baldric
-13th March 2009, 12:02
If you would like I could look into arranging a free brand spaking new 8 badminton court sized venue in Bradford (West Yorkshire) for one of the dates. Let me know.

Hi Tubbs. Could you possibly contact Matt directly? I think he would be very glad to have some help with venue oop nawf.

I am just the messenger boy, because he is too idle to join the forum. :D

Baldric
-13th March 2009, 12:04
Baldic and Mat well done in breating new life into the TA.
I have one complaint why do the first three (might be more but was too fed up to look) dates all clash with sabre events? I am a big fan of the TAs has it allows all three weapons to meet and train together. It also allows those that meet to compete to train and get to know each other. I appreciate the dates are set now but please can we consider Sabre as well.

Finding calendar dates that don't clash with something is a nightmare. We need a 72 week year!

I think the conclusion that Matt came to was that he would try to juggle the geography to minimise the effect of the clashes, and I don't think he was picking on sabre specifically. Sorry if it turned out that way.

Ray

DSSabre
-16th March 2009, 19:43
Ray

If Matt needs a venue for any of these dates can you get him to give me a ring and i will see what i can do.

David