PDA

View Full Version : would like to know vip's who practice fencing.

eva
-3rd December 2003, 17:19
I would like to know the name of vip people who practice fencing now a days .
Thanks
eva

Tihon
-11th December 2003, 11:25
Madonna, Halle Berry, Catherine Zeta Jones...

cheers

eva
-11th December 2003, 12:33
Thank you, very kind
eva

hayleyjade
-11th December 2003, 17:29
ooooo , well if they are doing it the sport must be cool, which we know it is anyway!

i really want maddonnas fencing jacket from die another day, i think i won that dvd on the radio the other day! i won quite a few so cant really remember!

i think her jacket is so cool, i liked the black one for 'evil' madona in her music video! ver cool!

Mantis
-11th December 2003, 19:22
Does Bruce Dickenson still fence? Maybe he is getting a bit old now.

gladiator
-11th December 2003, 21:11
For all the ladies out there (?) I seem to remember watching an interview with Elijah Wood from Lord Of The Rings in which he said he had taken up fencing after learning to fight in the movie.

eva
-12th December 2003, 10:57
I work for a travel magazine, and we are publishing an article on fencing, and they are a lot of important people, but most in the past, who did this sport, and we are looking for more celebrities to publish.
Thank's

uk_45
-13th December 2003, 16:09
Having seen Iron Maiden on tuesday and having a short chat with bruce i do believe he still fences but not to the standard as he did in the 80s when he was asked to join the GBR olympic team.

Sophie
-15th December 2003, 12:18
I understand that during the 80's Iron Maiden's European Tours were based around the European fencing calendar!

Also (seem to be mine of useless information this afternoon) that Bruce Dickenson changed from being right handed to left handed after being told it would improve his fencing (and it did!)

Gav
-15th December 2003, 12:26
Quote from someone who met Bruce on the circuit:

"... short, funny - in a rock star kind of way."

He used to own Duellist as well. I don't know if he still does but the music on the website gave me the impression that he might.

Gav
-15th December 2003, 12:30
Oh yeah, according the americans Neil Diamond was once a very good Sabreur!

natsgrant
-16th December 2003, 11:05
For all the ladies out there (?) I seem to remember watching an interview with Elijah Wood from Lord Of The Rings

Erm, if I was 12 maybe. The ? was an accurate ponit to make. ;)

Good luck with your quest Eva.

Marcos
-16th December 2003, 11:29
Originally posted by Sophie
I understand that during the 80's Iron Maiden's European Tours were based around the European fencing calendar!

Also (seem to be mine of useless information this afternoon) that Bruce Dickenson changed from being right handed to left handed after being told it would improve his fencing (and it did!)

actually, he broke his right arm so went left handed - went from top 30 in the ranking to top 10!
I was fencing at his club at the time

JohnL
-16th December 2003, 12:44
I also fenced with Bruce.

Nice guy, great sense of humour.

Yes he did switch hands.

While I was fencing he was nowhere near the top 10. If he managed to get into the top 10, it would only be because a large number of the nationally ranked foilists retired in the mid-80s and left a gap before the younger fencers of that time could fill the void.

He may have been better if he started younger as he did have talent and a good work ethic.

srb
-17th December 2003, 11:56
I also fenced with Bruce.

I would also agree that he was a very nice guy. When he first started fencing he turned up at Kingston & Tolworth F. C. as it was then. He was very unassuming, didn't actively tell anyone who he was, and just got on with fencing, and bought an underage srb a pint in the bar afterwards, which was even better.

srb

srb
-17th December 2003, 11:57
Yes Prometheus - I was under age once!

srb

uk_45
-17th December 2003, 21:04
cool that is one of my main ambitions in life to fence with Bruce if any one can help please please try

kitten
-17th December 2003, 23:06
MmmMmmmMMMm... Orlando Bloom fenced at school didn't he?? (how did I not meet him <kicks self with foot>) and peeps such as eg. Prince William have. Think a lot of actors/actresses have because of the whole stage-fighting connection.

eva
-18th December 2003, 08:40
thank you for your information.
Merry Christmas!

Prometheus
-19th December 2003, 11:31
Yes Prometheus - I was under age once!

SRB

For a bus pass maybe.....;)