PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Winter Tournament

Prometheus
-4th December 2003, 09:11
I like this event - All the waepons on one day and Foil check in at 1pm !!! A lay-in,aaaah :sleep:

http://www.cambsfa.org.uk/cwt.html

rpryer
-4th December 2003, 10:06
The one event of the year when the foilists get more of a lie-in than the sabreurs.

Quite small, but it is a good event.

Tarmac
-6th December 2004, 12:48
thought i'd dig this old thread up rather than start a new one...
can't decide which to go to...CWT or Edinburgh...
its probably cheaper to fly to edinburgh and stay in a hotel than to drive to cambridge... any suggestions?

Dave Hillier
-6th December 2004, 13:15
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prometheus
[B]I like this event - All the waepons on one day and Foil check in at 1pm !!! A lay-in,aaaah :sleep:

[\B] [\QUOTE]

Not any more.

vil
-6th December 2004, 13:18
Originally posted by Tarmac
thought i'd dig this old thread up rather than start a new one...
can't decide which to go to...CWT or Edinburgh...
its probably cheaper to fly to edinburgh and stay in a hotel than to drive to cambridge... any suggestions?
Edinburgh is always a nice place to visit. If you're concerned with getting ranking points, the CWT is the larger and stronger of the two: NIF of 17 from 49 entries at the CWT last time around, vs. NIF of 1 from 35 entries at the last Scottish Open (for ME).

I'll be going to the CWT, mainly because driving to Cambridge from Guildford is a lot cheaper than flying to Edinburgh.

BTW, it's worth considering youth hostels if you're going to Edinburgh. There's loads of them and they'll probably be quite a bit cheaper than a hotel. Or you could appeal to the kindness of the Scottish forum members... :)

Tarmac
-6th December 2004, 14:14
just looked at the logistics of both...eek.
i might have to put myself in a cardboard box and get ups to send me!!

Xerberus
-6th December 2004, 19:53
Originally posted by Prometheus
All the waepons on one day http://www.cambsfa.org.uk/cwt.html[/URL]

Erm, actually, its over two days. The foil is on saturday and epee and sabre on the sunday.

Foilling Around
-6th December 2004, 21:30
The Cambridge MF NIF was high because of 2 italians last year, but remember the NIF calculation has changed this year.

I've really got to go and defend my bronze medal - The only one I've won in the past 10 years!!

I'll have to control my weight over Xmas or I'll bounce down the piste in January

rpryer
-7th December 2004, 07:21
Originally posted by Xerberus
Erm, actually, its over two days. The foil is on saturday and epee and sabre on the sunday.

This an old thread, and the 2004 event was on one day. The 2-day format (with a nice, sensible check-in time for the sabre :) ) is new for 2005.

Xerberus
-7th December 2004, 18:18
DOH! didn't read it properly!

Prometheus
-7th December 2004, 22:35
Originally posted by Foilling Around
The Cambridge MF NIF was high because of 2 italians last year, but remember the NIF calculation has changed this year.

I've really got to go and defend my bronze medal - The only one I've won in the past 10 years!!

I'll have to control my weight over Xmas or I'll bounce down the piste in January

Usually a NIF of towards ten on the old formula for foil over the years.

The epee is normally quite strong with a number of London epeeists usually there.

bufc99
-22nd December 2004, 18:39
With any luck I'l be going to the CWT as it's a lot cheaper and easier to get to from Bham than Edinburgh is. Also I can go and stay at the Parents for teh weekend as they live not too far down teh A14 from there.

Insipiens
-23rd December 2004, 08:30
Venue has changed as well.

Danny_Boy
-23rd December 2004, 15:16
I did Cambridge last year (it was only my second ever senior open) and had a great time. Unfortunately it looks like I might have to miss it in 2005 - I think Notts County are playing Middlesborough in the FA Cup on the same day. It's a tricky choice but I think seeing Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Mark Viduka play against my beloved League Two strugglers just about pips the opportunity to fence Foiling Around, Prometheus and other CWT regulars. Plus if I go to the match I get a longer lie in!

I would definitely reccomend the CWT to anyone, especially if they're relatively inexperienced and new to the open circuit.

-

Danny Boy

bufc99
-23rd December 2004, 18:28
Work has to go and ruin everything doesn't it. I sent my cheque a couple of days ago and now I turn up to work this morning, check the shift rota and they've gto me down as working on the 8th. They've only got me down for a half-day so I migt be able to just make up the hours some other time but my immediate thought to this is bu**er.

Moby
-28th December 2004, 20:32
I remember once getting the date wrong for this one... many years ago when I had just started living in London, thinking it was on the Sunday... turned up to Cambridge... realised as I got off the train... got back on... went home... went back to bed... lesson... check the date a few days before, and again when you book the train tickets!!! Did I feel stupid? yes...

Am up in Scotland now, so will be doing the Scottish instead.

Insipiens
-2nd January 2005, 15:08
anybody know what has happened to the CWT website? I cannot get to it.
hopefully just a glitch because I am not sure I have noted exactly where the venue is yet. :(

Biggles
-2nd January 2005, 18:02
I was able to get to the site, but in case you can't the venue is here (http://www.combertonleisure.com/Alayout/Home.asp?MainID=2374&NewSession=Yes)

bufc99
-6th January 2005, 00:34
Work is now sorted. One thign that's starting to worry me though is that my cheq still hasn't cashed from my bank account. I know I left it quite late and about the extra bank holidays and stuff cos I work for a bank at the moment but starting ot worry tht my cheq hasn't gone throguh 3 days before the tournament.

Rdb811
-6th January 2005, 00:38
It could be one of those comps where the cheques aren't cashed until some time later (usually when there's no money in your account).

bufc99
-6th January 2005, 16:38
that's what i'm worried about as electric and gas bills have just come through the door with my mobile phone bill.

Insipiens
-6th January 2005, 23:32
you prbably have nearly a month of interest free credit by just ignoring the first bill and waiting for the red one,

Touché Turtle
-7th January 2005, 09:15
Does anyone know if they are definitely going to accept entries on the day? I never quite got round to sending in my entry, and don't want to travel if I can't fence. Yes I know I should have been more organised, but, well, I wasn't.
I tried the organiser's phone no. but got the answerphone, will try it again later but thought someone here might know.

Touché Turtle
-8th January 2005, 19:24
Today's foil results are on their website already. - Good doing guys!

bufc99
-8th January 2005, 19:31
Originally posted by Insipiens
you prbably have nearly a month of interest free credit by just ignoring the first bill and waiting for the red one,

They shouldn't be too abd as it'll be split between 6 of us.

bufc99
-8th January 2005, 19:32
Back on topic. It was a good tournament today. My thanks to the organisers fro all their hard work.

Foilling Around
-8th January 2005, 20:57
Well organised, good venue, shame I wasn't at the races today. Congrats to all those who were!

randomsabreur
-9th January 2005, 12:03
Sadly had to miss this due to work - well it has always been my ambition to do double my contractual hours in one week - missed last week (to Saturday) so will have to try this week...

Given the hours I put in on the last 3 days of last week, probably a good thing I'm not there as would probably not recognise a sword when placed in my hand.

Hope all went well today

Rdb811
-9th January 2005, 19:08
Just think of all the lovely overtime pay.

rpryer
-9th January 2005, 19:09
Originally posted by bufc99
Back on topic. It was a good tournament today. My thanks to the organisers for all their hard work.

That goes for the sabre today as well. Everything ran smoothly, with few delays between rounds.

The new venue is easier to find than the last one as well.

doobarz
-9th January 2005, 20:16
Yes indeed - a well run tournament with a nice venue.

I did lose a sock if anyone finds one kicking about in their bag. White, big and Leon Paul....

Biggles
-9th January 2005, 20:47
Originally posted by Touche Turtle
Today's foil results are on their website already. - Good doing guys!

Are you sure they are the results from this weekend, and not last year?

Tarmac
-9th January 2005, 20:49
who won the epee?

doobarz
-9th January 2005, 21:05
who won the epee?

1st PERRITY
2nd LISTON
3rd Erm, can't remember

vil
-9th January 2005, 23:18
Originally posted by doobarz
1st PERRITY
2nd LISTON
3rd Erm, can't remember
The full results of all 6 events are online already (http://www.cambsfa.org.uk/cwt.html) - and yes, they are this years. Amazing job by the organisers - even after the competition, they continue to impress! :not_worth

doobarz
-10th January 2005, 07:05
Originally posted by vil
The full results of all 6 events are online already (http://www.cambsfa.org.uk/cwt.html) - and yes, they are this years. Amazing job by the organisers - even after the competition, they continue to impress! :not_worth

I can't find them....

rpryer
-10th January 2005, 08:07
Try refreshing - the date under the logo should say updated 9/1/05.

Tarmac
-10th January 2005, 08:18
Originally posted by vil
ah mate ya got Wested!
know the feeling... not a bad score though! :)

doobarz
-10th January 2005, 08:44
Originally posted by rpryer
Try refreshing - the date under the logo should say updated 9/1/05.

Good call.

pinkelephant
-10th January 2005, 08:57
Originally posted by Rdb811
Just think of all the lovely overtime pay.

Overtime? She's a solicitor - you must be joking.

vil
-10th January 2005, 09:23
ah mate ya got Wested!
know the feeling... not a bad score though! :)
Yeah, I was fairly happy to get 10 points against Howard. He was on fine form. :party: But I could've given myself a much draw by keeping concentration during the pools though. In fact, there's probably a moral to that story somewhere... :rolleyes:

It was a great competition though and as friendly as I've come to expect from these things. There were relatively few juniors & cadets, which I think is due to the pressure of upcoming exams, but there were still plenty of good fencers and good fencing. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Insipiens
-10th January 2005, 10:17
Originally posted by pinkelephant
Overtime? She's a solicitor - you must be joking.
that's why they get paid so much in the first place. :)

I know a lawyer who did 152 hours in 11 days up to the 23rd December. :eek: Her contractual hours are 35 per week.

Boo Boo
-10th January 2005, 13:18
Nice result Insipiens :)

Boo

Stu
-10th January 2005, 13:45
Well I thoroughly enjoyed my day in the mens epee, only my 2nd proper competition so not a massive basis for comparison I guess, but I got plenty of bouts, everything moved quickly and it was great fun.

Only downer is my complete inability to win 2 DE matches in a row, stupid lack of skill.

randomsabreur
-10th January 2005, 14:22
No I don't get overtime, I get a salary whether I work my 35 contractual hours, or double or ever triple that.

Would have liked to go to Cambridge and defend my title, but instead spent 16 odd hours working, of which 5 or 6 were at a printers while various people more senior than me were still fighting over the wording of a document.

Congrats to the winners, and I will be back next year.

Rdb811
-10th January 2005, 14:37
Tee hee - I knew that.

Insipiens
-10th January 2005, 15:14
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Nice result Insipiens :)

Boo

Thanks.

whatsUp
-10th January 2005, 17:11
A very pleasant day out.

Marred by fencing terribly and son fencing well.

Lost all my points and son now getting within range in the rankings.

regards

Colin

Robert
-11th January 2005, 10:47
Very well organised. All results are now up.

Robert

tigger
-12th January 2005, 07:56
Well done Truro Gurlz in the sabre...

Xerberus
-12th January 2005, 19:54
A superbly run event.

Only downer was being knocked out of the sabre by my clubmate (septic_belgian)- still it guarenteed a guildford sabreur in the L16.

doobarz
-3rd November 2005, 07:53
I can't get on the website, does anyone have a breakdown of weapons by day kicking about? I threw my Sword magazine out in a mass tidy up....

Xev
-3rd November 2005, 08:55
I think the site's down at the moment.

But going on memory (and the post near the beginning of this thread!), and if it's the same as last year, foil on Saturday, epee and sabre on Sunday.

doobarz
-3rd November 2005, 09:14
Originally posted by Xev
I think the site's down at the moment.

But going on memory (and the post near the beginning of this thread!), and if it's the same as last year, foil on Saturday, epee and sabre on Sunday.

This thread started about the 2004 event - I'm sure I remember seeing a change for this year....

vil
-3rd November 2005, 09:23
Originally posted by doobarz
This thread started about the 2004 event - I'm sure I remember seeing a change for this year....
Their website (http://www.cambsfa.org.uk/cwt.html) does seem to be down at the moment, but the Google Cache copy can be found at http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:co3qZ_LtfCsJ:www.cambsfa.org.uk/cwt.html+Cambridge+Winter+Tournament&hl=en

Doobarz is right: the days have been switched around this year. Epee is on Saturday, Foil and Sabre are on Sunday.

Edit: the forum gets a bit confused by the google cache URL :mad: but if you search for "Cambridge Winter Tournament" on google, the first result should have a link to the cached page.

bufc99
-3rd November 2005, 16:28
Here is the 2006 Entry form for the CWT I downloaded a while ago. It's in Zip format as you can't upload Word Docs.