PDA

View Full Version : I've got a bend in my sabre....

rjrc1
-8th December 2003, 12:41
Ok i have a bit of a problem.. or maybe it is a none problem.

My sabre is bent... but it is not bent to either side, it is bent up, so it now resembles a schimitar. The blade is an Allstar gold i have had it for about a year and have only just noticed this bend.

I know that the FIE rules say that you are only aloud a 1 cm bend in the blade, is this in any direction? (not that i'm planning on doing any competitions where they will check but just in case)

Rdb811
-8th December 2003, 12:55
$cm (but I can't remember which direction) - see the link above.

rjrc1
-8th December 2003, 12:59
Did they not change the rules because they had too many people with hooks at the end of their blades using them for stop hits? (i am presuming $ meant 4..damn the blasted shift key!!

alec frenzy
-9th December 2003, 16:05
Ah the Allstar Gold, a blade guaranteed to break very quickly, but before it does, is soft enough to wrap completely around the body (and arms) and stay there thereby immobilising your opponent.

;)

Rdb811
-9th December 2003, 17:50
The flexibility changed, but not the bend. Unless I'm out of touch, of course.

alec frenzy
-9th December 2003, 19:53
Probably more in touch than me :grin:

Neo
-10th December 2003, 16:48
Ordered a gold sabre from Duellist on Friday, and asked/paid for next day delivery.. We're now almost into thursday and still no sabre... sooooo pissed off!

whizzkid1982
-11th December 2003, 14:04
the scimatar effect is cos you hit to head a lot (and possibly occaisionally too hard??) is nothing to be worried about.

Rdb811
-11th December 2003, 23:44
Originally posted by Neo
Ordered a gold sabre from Duellist on Friday, and asked/paid for next day delivery.. We're now almost into thursday and still no sabre... sooooo pissed off!

Instead of the standard JIT (Just In Time approach to stock control, some fencing suppliers use JSO (Just Sold Out), although JIC (Just In Case) is popular in North London.

stevejackson
-12th December 2003, 19:39
Rdb811 gave correct maximum curve but failed to mention that this must not be in the direction of the cutting edge. M23 applies.

uk_45
-13th December 2003, 13:54
i have the same thing on my LP pual blade

pTeppic
-13th December 2003, 18:31
had an issue with Paul sabre blades in that they seemed to bend along the cutting edge way too easily. I have one thats done the so called "scimatar' effect and two that somehow have ended up concave along the cutting edge.

Haven't had any problems with any of my LM or PBT blades.

Kian

firebrand
-18th December 2003, 16:37
Henry De Silva the author says that if it is a bend the wrong way straightening it isn't acceptable and makes it dangerous. He says it should be thrown away. Salvage the guard... I expect tho inexperienced that the blades are meant to bend only in one direction. Perhaps use it for drills.

Seasons greetings.

firebrand

Moose
-24th December 2003, 01:00
My sabre used to bend down at the foible (I did a point attack to wrist and ended uo sending the blade up the wire hole in the glove) it was great for over the guard hits, but alas is illegal.

pinkelephant
-2nd January 2004, 12:15
Originally posted by firebrand
Henry De Silva the author says that if it is a bend the wrong way straightening it isn't acceptable and makes it dangerous. He says it should be thrown away. Salvage the guard... I expect tho inexperienced that the blades are meant to bend only in one direction. Perhaps use it for drills.

Seasons greetings.

firebrand

Don't take any notice of what Henry says. He's about twice as old as me and wrote the book way back when the steel used for blades was much more brittle. Of course, if on straghtening, the blade still has a tendency to bend the wrong way after every hit, that's a different matter, but modern maraging blades can more or less be tied in knots and still be OK.

firebrand
-5th January 2004, 05:32
Good to know, this thread is helpful. I am interested in buying a LM or PBT sabre. Any other blade wear info? And which LP type blade was this? Why are the sabre maraging blades so unpopular?

firebrand