PDA

View Full Version : Help - Materials used in fencing?

minx
-8th December 2003, 13:42
I was wondering if anyone could help, at the moment I'm doing a pice of physics coursework, the idea is that I choose a material and a use then write about it for ages. It has to be a material I can find a lot out about, the last material I chose - kevlar failed badly because I couldn't find information about it's micro-structure. Anyways, because I have fencing on the brain I want to write about a material used in fencing (gives me a good excuse to go on fencing websites whilst doing 'research'), and was wondering if anyone can think of a particular material that would be interesting. At the moment I was think of writing about miraging steel, which is what the blade of my foil is made of, but if anyone could think of something more interesting I'd be really grateful for the input:fencingsm :

rjrc1
-8th December 2003, 14:21
Where did you look for info on Kevlar? Being a sciency type person (and having nothing at all better to do at work) I may be able to suggest some websites.. Although i guess it depends what year you are in and how in depth you want your physics project to be?

Rob

uk_45
-8th December 2003, 15:30
Minx i would ask BarryPaul if any one will know or be able to find out more for you on here im sure he can

sparkymark567
-8th December 2003, 17:48
Originally posted by minx
. At the moment I was think of writing about miraging steel,

Sounds quite interesting. Maraging steel has an especially low carbon content. The blades also undergo extensive heat treatment (tempering) to make them flexible. The tempering process alters the grain structure of metal.

Rdb811
-9th December 2003, 00:06
If you read the tech specs at the back of the fIE rule ook, it appears there are standard steel specificatins (ISO numbers) - the steel used in blades can be one of three types (from memory).

I prefer the idea of a 'miraging steel' , though.

minx
-9th December 2003, 09:18
Originally posted by rjrc1
Where did you look for info on Kevlar? Being a sciency type person (and having nothing at all better to do at work) I may be able to suggest some websites.. Although i guess it depends what year you are in and how in depth you want your physics project to be?

Rob

I'm in yr 12. I'm having serious problems getting a microstructure for Kevlar, other than that I've got most of the information that I need, only trouble is, that kevlar isn't being used anymore :o I didn't find that out till I'd been working on the project for a while. I found plenty of info on it but barely any of it was in depth enough. If you could point me in the right direction for some good websites I'd be really grateful. A the moment I'm keeping my options open and trying to research both materials but theres sooo much stuff on the net to sort through

DrT
-9th December 2003, 11:55
Originally posted by Rdb811
I prefer the idea of a 'miraging steel' , though.

Maybe that's what I've got? It might explain the ineffectiveness of my parries... :dizzy:

M C
-11th December 2003, 22:41
Further to what sparky said, maraging steels have a high nickel content, and also include elements such as cobalt, titanium and molybdenum. A materials book should tell you lots about it. Zzz zz zz...

minx
-12th December 2003, 07:35
Don't mention materials books, I have about 7 sat by my desk, all of them contain different useful info, none of them will scan in and all of them weren't supposed to be taken from the libary:o don't tell anyone