PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Open

Jambo
-8th December 2003, 15:24
I know this has been mentioned in another thread but wanted to make it more obvious.

Fancying doing this. But a few questions:

1) How do you enter? Entry form anywhere?
2) When are which weapons?
3) What was the NIF for MS last time (ie is it worth it)?
4) Is the venue near central Edinburgh? And is it any good?

Cheers

Gav
-8th December 2003, 15:29
Originally posted by Jambo
I know this has been mentioned in another thread but wanted to make it more obvious.

Fancying doing this. But a few questions:

1) How do you enter? Entry form anywhere?
2) When are which weapons?
3) What was the NIF for MS last time (ie is it worth it)?
4) Is the venue near central Edinburgh? And is it any good?

Cheers

1) Send your entry into Scottish Fencing - the address is on the calendar.

2) Sabre should be on the Sunday. Check in about 12 - will see if I can locate some more information.

3) What was the NIF for MS? Who knows - you all look the same to me! :grin:

4) It's held in Stirling at the university. Not a bad venue actually.

Jambo
-8th December 2003, 15:34
Cheers Gav, what about mens epee? And is Stirling easy to get to if I stay in Edinburgh centre on the sat night?

Gav
-8th December 2003, 15:55
It's easy to get to if you drive (you can get the train but there will be a problem getting you in time for check-in). ME is not all that bad although not up to the standards of the big tourney's down south.

If you decide to stay in Edinburgh I may be able to secure you a lift but that lift would be back to Ediniburgh afterwards.

We usually go out for a chinese afterwards.

If you are interested then let me know.

Jambo
-8th December 2003, 16:43
I'd have my car with me, but thanks for the offer. Taking a friend who did well at the BUSA's this weekend and has suddenly got all keen, sounds like it might be a good gentle open to start him on. Wanted one where ME and MS are same day.

James
-8th December 2003, 16:49
ill probably be kicking about with my camera, more so once i get knocked out at some point in the DE. if you want some pics just point yourself out and ill snap a few. same goes for anyone else who's going.

James

Jambo
-8th December 2003, 16:54
Thanks, that'd be cool. Although i've been told repeatedly this weekend that my fencing is really ugly so maybe it aint a good idea :(

MrWizard
-8th December 2003, 21:35
From the entry form:

Sat 10th January
ME 0900-0930
WE 1030-1100
Sabre (Men's and women's) 1100-1130

Sun 11th January
MF 0900-0930
WF 1030-1100

Entry fees 12 1 weapon, 18 2 weapons, closing date 3rd January.

Really looking forward to this, my first open :grin:

Expecting to get a bit of a tanking though... :eek: :o

Jamie

Gav
-9th December 2003, 08:46
Thanks for putting the details up.

I can't find my entry form.

Robert
-9th December 2003, 08:51
There is a train leaving Cambridge at about 5 that gets into stirling at about midnight. Are there any B&Bs close to the venue?

Robert

Jambo
-9th December 2003, 10:48
Cheques payable to Scottish Fencing?

Gav
-9th December 2003, 10:59
Cheques payable to Scottish Fencing.

Robert: I don't think that there are any BnB's within walking distance of the venue [I could be wrong] as the venue is slightly out of town however as Stirling is a popular tourist destination then there will be plenty of BnB's in the surrounding area. A taxi ride won't take too long and I don't imagine that it will be all that expensive.

Mark
-9th December 2003, 13:57
If you are after a B&B Look for one in 'Bridge of Allan'. It's a wee village out side of Stirling and is walking distance to the venue.

Marcos
-18th December 2003, 09:50
are last year's results available?

MrWizard
-30th December 2003, 21:19
Anyone know if there will be any equipment sellers there?

Jamie

Mark
-30th December 2003, 23:23
Yes, Allstar will probably be there. David Mends usually sells kit there too.

tigger
-31st December 2003, 09:53
Men's Sabre NIF last season was 12.

Cheetara
-5th January 2004, 12:36
Am I correct in guessing that it's at the University Sports Hall? Also has anyone got any idea when the sabre (men's and women's) is likely to finish?

Thank you :)

rory
-5th January 2004, 13:20
An educated gues - the sabre'll be finished between 5 and 6. That's on past experience, although we have a new organiser this year so you can't be sure.

And yes, it's the Uni sports hall.

doobarz
-5th January 2004, 14:23
Excellent food at the venue as well.

James
-9th January 2004, 16:14
just a quick post to bring this thread back to life considering the epee and saber are tomorrow.
one question i have is exactly where is the uni sports hall and is anyone else staying in the holiday inn express in sterling?
i've also just gone out and bought three films for my camera so im all stocked up and ready to go!

Mark
-9th January 2004, 16:47
From Holiday Inn Express head North (Probably signposted 'St Andrews'). There are 2 or 3 round-a-bouts, turn left at the one sign posted Bridge of Allan. Stay on that road for about 3 miles and the Uni is on your right. If you reach Bridge of Allan village you've gone too far.

Once in the Campus you'll drive up a hill and see the Sport Centre on your right. Go to the top of the hill and you'll find the car park.

Easy peasy.

Aer
-14th January 2004, 16:36
anyone know the final results for the scottish open?

It was my first open :) and edinburgh uni score mistakes not withstanding, was a good day out in MF

Well, I didnt finish last :)

Just wondered who won.

James
-14th January 2004, 19:29
i did find out the top few for mens epee from gav. but personally im more interested in where i came, and where the guy who beat me in my D.E came.
developed the photos i took today. so expect to see them up sometime saturday once i get them scanned in. not so many of different people this time. didnt end up staying as long as i expect so hadnt taken that many pics. managed to shoot of a couple of rolls though.

rory
-15th January 2004, 08:15
Originally posted by Aer
anyone know the final results for the scottish open?
Just wondered who won.

Mens Foil:
1) Keith Cook
2) Scott Brodie
3) Andrew Austin
3) Jamie Sala
5) Rory Gibson

Womens Foil:
1) Anna Bentley
2) <Italian girl>
3) Jo Walton

Mens Sabre:
1) Chris Jamieson
2) Dom Flood
3) Rob Anderson
3) Mo Mansoori

Womens Sabre:
1) Jo Matthew
2) Cat Austin
3) Harriet Stilley

Don't know the rest, sorry.

rory
-15th January 2004, 14:55
Scottish Open Results in full (http://www.britishfencing.com/scottishopen.html)

Marcos
-15th January 2004, 14:59
Originally posted by rory

Mens Sabre:
1) Chris Jamieson
2) Dom Flood
3) Rob Anderson
3) Mo Mansoori

another good day at the office, Mo

Aer
-15th January 2004, 15:32
43rd then.... not to shabby for a first open...:rambo:

James
-15th January 2004, 16:09
yay! 25th! im really quite chuffed with that for only my third comp. plus the guy who put me out came 7th. i actually fenced him three times! both poules and my DE. admittedly he did beat me in all three. although the first one i feel i should have won. the second one he whooped my ass and the third one was close up to about 8 - 10 when he just got the better of me.

Neil Brown
-2nd February 2004, 22:20
Who was 20th in the men's sabre? Name is Cei BECK, I presume this is James Beck, not Corin, correct?

doobarz
-2nd February 2004, 22:59
Originally posted by Neil Brown
Who was 20th in the men's sabre? Name is Cei BECK, I presume this is James Beck, not Corin, correct?

Cei is Corin's younger brother....

UglyBug
-4th February 2004, 21:38
...who is on the brink of seduction into the Dark Side...

Chris
-20th March 2004, 13:14
If, by "dark side", you mean sabre (I'd agree :P ) then Cei has pretty much sold his soul..