PDA

View Full Version : New issue of Escrime Int'l out...

Epeecurean
-8th December 2003, 21:13
Here's the pdf:

http://www.fie.ch/download/magazines/2003/FIE_46.pdf

It includes the conclusions of the special commision on foil/sabre.

* Says that the 1cm max curve and 750gm point will add to the effectiveness of the 14-16ms contact time in eliminating flicks at foil. Interestingly, no menion is made of the mangiarotti point.

* Also says "there is nearly unanimous consent on making the bib of the mark part of the valid target". I thought that got voted down.

* With regard to the eliminating of off-targets it says "The Commission recommends that further tests be carried out during official junior competitions." So it sounds like this proposal isn't quite dead.

* The Commission is also "reserving judgement" on the removal of the fleche as "opinions differ" on the matter.

So whenever the Commission's proposals passed, it's considered settled, & whenever there was a vote against, the Commission doesn't drop it outright but reserves judgement or proposes further tests. I can see where this is going...

(I should mention I'm generally in favour of the changes except I don't want to see the fleche removed & I have reservations about eliminating off-targets.)

In a separate article covering the WCs in Cuba we get this commentary on MF finalist Simone Vanni:

[After acknowledging his technique & athleticism]

"But to allow him full rein, one would have to be ignorant of the all the basic rules of foil fencing. Two times out of three his point is not in line... Two times out of three he attacks with his arm virtually glued to his body... The technical commission set up by the FIE to examine the evolution of foil fencing is not confused over the need to react. It has made proposals which will be discussed at the Congress in Leipzig and could be trialled in the junior events after the Olympic Games in Athens. Needless to say, they are not aimed specifically at Cassara. He fences as he has been taught but he risks having to go back to the drawing board. Let us have faith in him: the very gifted know how to adapt. "

BAD Vanni! BAD Vanni! Go sit in the corner & revamp your game ;-)

gladiator
-9th December 2003, 10:30
Originally posted by Epeecurean

* Also says "there is nearly unanimous consent on making the bib of the mark part of the valid target". I thought that got voted down.

From what I have heard, the manufacturers rebelled and said none of them would actually make the new bibs to conduct! At which point it was kind of dead in the water, so to speak! Barry is the man to ask about this.

Prometheus
-9th December 2003, 10:46
Originally posted by Epeecurean

In a separate article covering the WCs in Cuba we get this commentary on MF finalist Simone Vanni:

[After acknowledging his technique & athleticism]

"But to allow him full rein, one would have to be ignorant of the all the basic rules of foil fencing. Two times out of three his point is not in line... Two times out of three he attacks with his arm virtually glued to his body... The technical commission set up by the FIE to examine the evolution of foil fencing is not confused over the need to react. It has made proposals which will be discussed at the Congress in Leipzig and could be trialled in the junior events after the Olympic Games in Athens. Needless to say, they are not aimed specifically at Cassara. He fences as he has been taught but he risks having to go back to the drawing board. Let us have faith in him: the very gifted know how to adapt. "

BAD Vanni! BAD Vanni! Go sit in the corner & revamp your game ;-)

The way I read it it appears to be Cassara they are commenting on in this regard not Vanni?

Prometheus
-9th December 2003, 10:51
I think this article pre dates the congress so you should read this as the proposals put to the congress and as the opinions of the commission, not the final outcome of the congress which is on a seperate thread and was made after this issue of Escrime.

reposte
-9th December 2003, 12:02
Everybody sees what they want, reminds me of a saying which I don't know whether Hebrew adopted or invented:
The fish smells from the head downwards.

Epeecurean
-9th December 2003, 15:30
Oops -- my mistake -- Cassara not Vanni...

Epeecurean
-9th December 2003, 15:38
Gosh, you're right -- I was wrong about the event too. This was in reference to the Commission session in Havanna not the Leipzig Congress conclusions.

If I make this many mistakes while fencing I'd be a pin-cushion by now...:fencingsm

Prometheus
-9th December 2003, 15:43
Just blame it on the weird translation ;)

Marcos
-11th December 2003, 11:21
great article tho - you can tell it was written by a frenchman -

Gav
-11th December 2003, 11:35
The thing that has always irritated me about Escrime is that all of the articles are produced in different languages rather than just produce different language versions of the entire magazine. Especially so, since the FIE produces pdf versions.

3 Card Trick
-11th December 2003, 13:03
Wouldn't it be nice if an offcial English translaton of the decisions was available. We did have three Brits at the Congress.

1.1.04 is not so far away and we have A Grades shortly after.

NLSC Sabreur
-11th December 2003, 13:11
Because of the way that printing costs work (big reductions for high volume) it is probably cheaper to produce one large magazine than 3 slightly smaller (the results pages, the adverts and most of the pictures are not repeated in 3 times).

The bigger problem would be political. What language would the Germans, or the Koreans etc, get? The French have backed mad dictators in Africa because they spoke French so they bet they wont back down over French being the main international language of fencing.

================================================== ==============

::yoda: Personally my liking of fencing magazines depends on whether my name appears in the results.

Therefore

Current edition of Escrime = bad:(

Previous 2 editions both = good:)

Australian
-12th December 2003, 22:57
Originally posted by 3 Card Trick
1.1.04 is not so far away and we have A Grades shortly after.

they are being tested at JWC in the 2004/2005 season....

3 Card Trick
-13th December 2003, 10:10
There are some changes relating to penalyes due on 1.1.04.

Australian
-14th December 2003, 02:14
Originally posted by 3 Card Trick
There are some changes relating to penalyes due on 1.1.04.

oo really?

got a link or something?

3 Card Trick
-14th December 2003, 11:23
Discussed at length elsewhere on the forum.:grin: