PDA

View Full Version : Getting sponsorship?

minx
-9th December 2003, 09:35
A friend of mine (Matthew) wants to know - how do you go about getting a sponsorship? Like most of us when we haven't been fencing very long he's aiming for the stars, so the logical route is via a sponsor :grin: It seems that as I've been fencing slightly longer I'm supposed to know how he would go about doing this, but I don't, any tips for him?

Marcos
-9th December 2003, 10:04
Start off by asking friends, parents of friends, friends of parents, etc - it may be that you can pursuade them to part with a couple of hundred quid through their respective companies (tax deductible).

Until you are a higher level it is difficult to get sponsorship - but get a few medals under your belt and that will help (even if it is best Under 9 at the local comp)

Tihon
-10th December 2003, 12:56
You should check if any of the big firms arround you tends to sponsor sportsmen and clubs. if so, make a nice letter explaining that you don't have the money for expensive equipment that is necessary for you to continue blah blah you know the drill. In Croatia every major bank does it, Ministry of education & sports, Ministry of economy and similar institutions...

cheers

minx
-10th December 2003, 13:24
Wow thats great thanks, I suppose it's time for me and him to start writing lots of letters

UglyBug
-10th December 2003, 14:05
Try your local authority. Most give out money to anyone who competes at county level or above.

rpryer
-10th December 2003, 15:09
My local authority in Nottingham has a scheme to support young sportsmen/women who compete at a national/international level. One of the members of my club got some money recently from them.

Aoife
-10th December 2003, 20:39
Dagnabit, do I live in the only area who's local authority doesn't seem to give grants to county/national sportspeople. Apparently they stopped on November 30th :(

I hope your friend gets an offer! I'm still drafting letter to send to local businesses around here to try and raise money for our school club.

If he goes for sponsorship, let us know how it goes!

Tarmac
-29th May 2004, 16:50
I'm currently in negotiations with a company for sponsorship... but can anyone help me with the specific details of whats needed?
i know the basics obviously, such as, travel funds, kit expenditure, accomodation for comps and the like... but can anyone think of any small niggling points which i should take up with them?
And what do i say when they ask me 'whats in it for us?' uhhh...

nirvana
-29th May 2004, 17:05
Originally posted by Tarmac
I'm currently in negotiations with a company for sponsorship... but can anyone help me with the specific details of whats needed?
i know the basics obviously, such as, travel funds, kit expenditure, accomodation for comps and the like... but can anyone think of any small niggling points which i should take up with them?
And what do i say when they ask me 'whats in it for us?' uhhh...

whats in it 4 them, well you would b walking around with there brand logo on your arm, leg, giving them advertisment.

I sent out 70 odd letters to national businesses and didnt get a penny from any of them.

TBennett
-30th May 2004, 14:01
Ah the joys of trying to find a sponsor in our minority sport...

I am still looking too for a financial sponsor (the equipment side is sorted at the moment - cheers Barry :grin: ). Local grants are always going somewhere which are both numerous and quite handy.

As for actual sponsors......um......its very difficult. Friends and family (businesses) are the way forward methinks. The problem is they want people who are always winning (domestically and internationally) and they dont seem to understand that a last 32 place in an A-grade is a good result.

When I started enquiring at a younger age (16-17), no-one was interested coz I wasnt winning opens.... grr. Basically, its very difficult to find anyone to sponsor you unless you harass people for money. Arrange for interviews if possible or constantly bombard companies with letters. I think that out of every 100 you send there may be a positive response from a company...

Have fun anyway...

gbm
-30th May 2004, 17:49
Originally posted by Hellphire
The problem is they want people who are always winning (domestically and internationally) and they dont seem to understand that a last 32 place in an A-grade is a good result.

Is it really? Or is it just a reflection of fencing in this country?

Rdb811
-30th May 2004, 18:03
You try doing it. Basically you are at the standard of say the top 100 in the world.

I note that Tim Henman' last 32 (or whatever) at the rench Open is considered a good result.

nirvana
-30th May 2004, 18:04
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Is it really? Or is it just a reflection of fencing in this country?

nah, i think hellphire is right. people just look at your results and see 32 and think thats not that great and chuck the letter in the bin. you need to be winning british championships agrades or close to winning, to get any where i reckon.

Aoife
-30th May 2004, 18:09
We managed to get a nicr amount out of the business of one of the younger fencer's parent's busniesses, so we didn;t need to beg around local busniesses; think we'll need to next school year though, as demand is growing each year.

Good luck everyone who's trying!

TBennett
-30th May 2004, 18:15
A last 32 at an A-grade qualifies me for World Championships. So yeah it is quite hard to do (depending on the standard of the A-grade)... Its even harder at senior level (havent got there yet tho...)

My point exactly....cheers :)

"If you are not 1st then you are not worth considering....." Application form goes in the bin without a second glance.....

I am I think 105th in World and no potential sponsor seems to care.... Btw Tim Henman is one of the top seeds in the World tho is he not? Hes in the last 8 of the French Open now as well....

This is especially frustrating when I go to Sports Awards and find that I have not "won" (I do not mean win but rwally mean in the top few) because my results, on paper, dont stand out...

Results only mean anything if viewed by another fencer....

nirvana
-30th May 2004, 18:19
isn't timsponsered by persil?

TBennett
-30th May 2004, 18:28
As with most people who are paraded around on the TV, who isnt he sponsored by??? lol I think Adidas and Persil (or is it Fairy.....no I think its Persil.) sponsor him and there are probably a few others...

Did anyone else see the article about Beckham getting a new sponsorship deal with Gillette worth up to £40 million.... The (there would normally be many expliatives in this space now but I am censoring myself...) git.....

Grr.

gbm
-31st May 2004, 09:30
It is sad that most with-sponsored-player adverts (like the Pepsi one) probably cost a fair whack of the annual budget of British Fencing to produce....

If you've got a really good British ranking (if you can say 'I am the top British mens foilist' or whatever) that probably helps.

So are the fencers at A-grades generally sort of the same then? So that if you get to the L32 then you have really done well because you are up at the level of the top 60 fencers or something (assuming that 50% of the best 60 fencers in the world turn up or something)?

Lucan
-31st May 2004, 11:01
Say if you are in a squad or team. Can be more impressive to a sponser then a world ranking.

Boo Boo
-31st May 2004, 11:59
To get sponsorship you really need to be a household name - i.e. Henman and Beckham etc. Faces like those will help companies promote/sell products.

In general, other sponsorship is seen as charity: unless you know someone who controls a charity/sponsorship budget in a company, you are unlikely to get anything...

Even our top fencers do not get much/anything. Being on the British squad, getting Commonwealth medals, winning medals in the British Senior Championships, being in the top 5 of the senior rankings is rarely seen as enough: you probably need to be getting medals in the World Championships or World Cups. Either that, or swap to tennis or athletics ;)

I guess that this is a reflection on the publicity coverage that fencing gets in the UK: if opens, championships and A-grades got a LOT more coverage from national television and press, then more sponsorship would be forth coming... at the moment there really isn't much benefit for sponsors if they sponsor even top fencers...

Sad, but true...

Boo

uk_45
-31st May 2004, 12:43
The LP squad get a fair bit tho, dont they?

Boo Boo
-31st May 2004, 13:30
Think that they just get kit... not sure. (not that "just getting kit" is not a very good thing - since kit is expensive!).

Makes sense for Leon Paul/Allstar (or other fencing equipment suppliers) to sponsor good fencers, since other fencers will see and know them and think "I want a lame jacket like Laurence/Richard/Camy" or "I want a mask like Louise Bond-Williams" etc.etc.

Boo

uk_45
-31st May 2004, 14:01
I think i read some where thats there coaches get something aswell

Neo
-31st May 2004, 14:37
Don't forget lottery funding too, I would imagine that it would be somewhat easier than trying to talk a business into it (especially if you're Scottish or Welsh - its administered nationally, so for Scottish and Welsh fencers there's less competition. And according to Sport Scotland site the success rate is 85%)

Edit: ps by nationally I mean Scotland, England, Wales individually and respectively (though wales isn't really a nation but hey...)

uk_45
-31st May 2004, 14:42
i seem to remeber the lotto money only goes to BFA and is used to send fencers to WCs etc

haggis
-31st May 2004, 14:46
Originally posted by Neo
Don't forget lottery funding too, I would imagine that it would be somewhat easier than trying to talk a business into it (especially if you're Scottish or Welsh - its administered nationally, so for Scottish and Welsh fencers there's less competition. And according to Sport Scotland site the success rate is 85%)

That'll be why no Scottish fencers currently receive lottery funding under the Talented Athlete Program (TAP). Used to much easier to get hold of but reduced sportscotland budgets and the relatively poor return that sportscotland felt they got on the funding to fencers means we're inpoverished again.

If the sportscotland site claims an 85% success rate I suspect that is because all applications are vetted by National Governing Bodies first so that no rubbish gets submitted (and to ensure consistently applied standards and to verify results) and that people who might once have considered themselves suitable for lottery funding now realise they're not i.e. they're hobby-fencers doing this for a bit of fun and not really world-class athletes at all.

Regards

Haggis

Neo
-31st May 2004, 14:56
Originally posted by uk_45
i seem to remeber the lotto money only goes to BFA and is used to send fencers to WCs etc

There's about 10 different types. The type I was referring to is the Talented Athlete Program which goes directly to the athlete themselves.

Neo
-31st May 2004, 14:58
Originally posted by haggis
That'll be why no Scottish fencers currently receive lottery funding under the Talented Athlete Program (TAP). Used to much easier to get hold of but reduced sportscotland budgets and the relatively poor return that sportscotland felt they got on the funding to fencers means we're inpoverished again.

If the sportscotland site claims an 85% success rate I suspect that is because all applications are vetted by National Governing Bodies first so that no rubbish gets submitted (and to ensure consistently applied standards and to verify results) and that people who might once have considered themselves suitable for lottery funding now realise they're not i.e. they're hobby-fencers doing this for a bit of fun and not really world-class athletes at all.

Regards

Haggis

Yep, I notice too the info seems to suggest that anyone fencing under GBR should apply for funding from Sport England rather than Sport Scotland.

TBennett
-31st May 2004, 17:11
I do get a few grants from sprting bodies.... The Sport England one is either £250/£500 (usually the latter) which pays for around 2 out of 6 A-Grades (Including EC's and WC's)...Even then British Fencing only has around 12 (I think - dont quote me on it) grants to award for U18's....

But

The LP squad get a fair bit tho, dont they? - uk_45

Think that they just get kit... not sure. - Boo Boo

We get a good discount on kit, not financial support....

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 08:55
Are you a LP sponsored club or fencer

TBennett
-1st June 2004, 10:13
Fencer.

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 10:30
Oh ok good for you.

Go you

haggis
-1st June 2004, 15:08
Originally posted by Neo
Yep, I notice too the info seems to suggest that anyone fencing under GBR should apply for funding from Sport England rather than Sport Scotland.

I believe that's because the BFA are funded by sport england so funding for GB teams to the World Championships comes from there but a scottish fencer would still be able to get TAP funding from sport scotland (if they were good enough).

Regards

Haggis

fencingisfun
-1st June 2004, 17:39
Make sure you're actually good before you go looking for funding. Chances are that if you get funding people who are actually good and don't happen to get funding because they live somewhere with a proper population will get really mad at you. Not only that but it may make them jealous and jealousy is only couple of steps away in God's bad books form sodomy, so be warned. Hope this is helpful. If not try your local council's sports office, rotary club or local rich old man who might like the sight of a young man in sweaty kit.

Baldric
-1st June 2004, 18:42
If you want to get sponsorship from a business, (without just blackmailing family and friends in business) try this track.

It works best for kids, because they tend to be more photogenic, but it will also work for adults.

First, send a press release from your club to the local paper, and the local radio and TV stations.

You need something to shout about - a recent good result, it doesn't matter in what grade of tournament - no one outside fencing circles knows the difference between a county under 16 and an A grade anyway.

Journalists are lazy, so you need to write your release in a way that allows them to create an article with the minimum of effort.
Don't forget the key ingredients - an eyecatching headline, a quoteable quote, a photo, and a contact name/number for further details.

Wait and see who picks it up and runs it. Someone will, cos they are always on the lookout for something new to print/broadcast.

Then (and this is the important bit) check out that publication/station for their biggest advertisers. These are businesses who have already concluded that this organ is their best route to customers, and they are spending money to get coverage.

Approach these companies, showing them the coverage you already have received, and promising to highlight their generosity every time you send out future press releases.

You create a virtuous circle. The paper will want to print stories about you because you are sponsored by one of their big advertisers. The advertiser will want to sponsor you because you are always in their local paper.

gbm
-1st June 2004, 19:18
How ironic that such a fantastically helpful post should follow such an unhelpful post! Maybe I should move to somewhere with a 'proper' population...

Baldric
-1st June 2004, 19:49
Sorry - me again. Since my original posting about gaining business sponsorship, I have thought of a few other angles.

1). Do not place too much emphasis on logos on kit etc. Do the maths - you fence at 20 comps per year, maybe 200 people at each, max . Thats 4000 people in a year who will see the logo, most from out of your area.

In my local paper, I can get a quarter page ad for £700 that will be seen by 30,000 people, all in the potential sponsors catchment area. It is column inches and airtime that counts, not a poxy little logo on your non fencing arm!

2) When you check out advertisers, look for ones who use a sword motif (or similar, knights, samurai, whatever). Firms are more prepared to spend money on something that is a natural fit for their image.

3) Be prepared to creep a little. When you are talking to the advertising manager, ask if he/she has kids, and if so, invite parents and kids to the club. Not many kids can resist the lure of swordfighting, and they don't have to stick long - just long enough for the ink to dry on the cheque!

4) Don't give up easily. If you get a "no", or more likely "this year's budget is already committed", ask if you may contact them again next year (or whenever the new budget arrives). In the meantime - see 3) above - invite them to the club, and keep sending them results. When you call again, you will be an acquaintance, not a stranger!

5) If you can make the acquaintance of a journalist in whatever paper/station runs your story, tell them about your need for sponsorship - they (or their colleague in the business section) may know who is generous in the area.

gbm
-1st June 2004, 20:06
PS I meant Baldrics' post was fantastically helpful, and fencingisfun's post was fantastically unhelpful, so you have nothing to be sorry about, Baldric. That's the best advice on getting sponsorship I've ever heard.

TBennett
-1st June 2004, 21:49
Im impressed....well thought out and quite interesting...

Lol I have tried with many of the local companies but the general trend is that they only like mainstream sports (rugby etc)..

If I may also offer advice (it hasnt got me anywhere and isnt as good as 'Bladric's' but I thought it was sensible enough.....).

Dont go for big names. What I mean is you will have to ask for money on a 'local' basis (ie the local branch of a medium business). There will be absolutely NO point in asking a large business (Tesco, Car Dealers etc) as they dont need to promote themselves.

Small companies that are trying to make names for themselves (and ones that fit in with the idea of swords etc as already mentioned) are a good bet simply coz when you put articles in the local paper, you can ask to have your sponsor mentioned (ie 'Bob Smith' fencers under coach '......' at '........' fencing club and is currently sponsored by '.....'

If you follow the drivel I just wrote I will be happy.. (I know what I mean) and I hope it is vaguely helpful.

Biggles
-1st June 2004, 22:11
Originally posted by Boo Boo
To get sponsorship you really need to be a household name - i.e. Henman and Beckham etc. Faces like those will help companies promote/sell products.

More importantly you need to participate in a sport that generates audiences/revenue in the billions in order to get significant sponsorship.

Unfortunately, fencing is a sport that appeals to a 'closed' audience....eg 'us'.....so the chances of achieving any level of meaningful sponsorship would be based on a) personal or professional relationships with a business, b) significant achievement on the piste (Olympic) coupled with a cracking personality or pert bum...and even that will be short term, or c) an unlikely confluence of general commercial sponsorship for the sport and a television and live event contract.

If you were at the Science Museum demos you know that the average Joe is captivated by the sport because it's great to watch...but the sad fact is that despite the increase in interest and news coverage the best any of us can do is on a personal level until the BFA or some commercial entity gets the sport in front of the public in a very real way.

Wouldn't LP/Allstar/PBT et al benefit greatly by organising a national 'tour'...maybe ten venues to start?....and using that as a platform to begin to interest and draw in corporate sponsorship. If Eurosport can find space for modern pentathalon from Shanghai and beach volleyball from Greece, surely it would be worth a shot if there was some kind of organisation to back it up.

We could even have uk_45 and goodbadandme as presenters!!! :tongue:

Lynne
-2nd June 2004, 15:39
Another thing to try is to ask fencers who work for larger firms to approach them on the club's behalf.

We have just received a small sponsorship gift from Peugeot, as one of our fencers works for them. They do it under the personal development scheme or something like that.

I heard that Abbey National might run a similar scheme. We had to write about the club, how many people benefit etc., etc. and of course the fact that the whole thing might fold in 2006 with the new kit regs coming in!

Now, who wants to help spend the money??;)

Neo
-25th February 2005, 21:21
Originally posted by fencingisfun
Make sure you're actually good before you go looking for funding. Chances are that if you get funding people who are actually good and don't happen to get funding because they live somewhere with a proper population will get really mad at you. Not only that but it may make them jealous and jealousy is only couple of steps away in God's bad books form sodomy, so be warned.

Are you suggesting one might get sodomised by the top 10 if they somehow manage to get funding? :tongue:

madfencer
-4th March 2005, 11:53
**** all chance of me getting sponsored then!!!!! :grin: lol.

I NEED DOSH FOR KIT!!!!

kingbob
-4th March 2005, 15:21
not only do you have to tell your future sponsorer what you need the money for, you also have to tell them wot is in it for them.
Like:

Unlimited advertising on equipment bags and holdalls.

Unlimited advertising on ‘Tee Shirts.’ Worn before and during events.

Advertising on Track Suite (limited by size of patches etc.)

Advertising on Breeches while on the Fencing Piste. (limited by size of Patches etc.)

It could be arranged for an article on the companies web page, showing how there company helps in the community by sponsoring such a person or event.

And you have to give them the guarantee that any donations or sponsorships how ever small would only be utilised for their intended purpose and that all receipts would be endorsed.

hope this helps.

KB

Baldric
-4th March 2005, 15:39
Originally posted by kingbob

Advertising on Breeches while on the Fencing Piste. (limited by size of Patches etc.)

KB

From my posting above

. Do not place too much emphasis on logos on kit etc. Do the maths - you fence at 20 comps per year, maybe 200 people at each, max . Thats 4000 people in a year who will see the logo, most from out of your area.

In my local paper, I can get a quarter page ad for £700 that will be seen by 30,000 people, all in the potential sponsors catchment area. It is column inches and airtime that counts, not a poxy little logo on your non fencing arm!

Actually my maths was wrong - 20 comps a year and you only see about 600 people, you just see them more often.

I am convinced that the way to give the sponsor value for money is to find away of tying local media into the deal, as I posted higher up this thread. It creates value for all concerned, rather than just looking for generosity.

Neo
-4th March 2005, 15:44
Originally posted by kingbob
not only do you have to tell your future sponsorer what you need the money for, you also have to tell them wot is in it for them.
Like:

It could be arranged for an article on the companies web page, showing how there company helps in the community by sponsoring such a person or event.

And you have to give them the guarantee that any donations or sponsorships how ever small would only be utilised for their intended purpose and that all receipts would be endorsed.

hope this helps.

KB

Unless you are Sergei Golubsitsky (and even then you're pushing it) all of the above is meaningless to a company, other than perhaps a fencing manufacturer - British competitions have very little publicity and thus the above will be seen by very few people. What's more important to the company is the karma from being able to say "we help (local) athletes". This has all been sai d before in this thread - maybe you should read it before posting?

fencingmum
-4th March 2005, 18:21
We tried once, got the princely sum of £100 put of our lcoal sports council - and they said it was a one-off!

Just hypothetically speaking - how much space are you allowed to use for a sponsor's logo? (haven't seen many people sporting logos on their kit, is why I ask)

Dublte
-4th March 2005, 19:05
if u wanna get sponsership best thing to do is gp to your county council coz they can giv u a bursery or funding... im personally not confident or good enuf 2 get it 4 fencing but all the councils r tryin 2 encourage ppl to do sport, especially younger generations. i hav fundin frm my council 2 charter out a tall ship in the summer.. if all goes 2 plan.. its so we can do our duke of edinbrough (cant spell) silver award... shud b amazin!!! my cousin also has bursery from volvo !?!

luke99
-5th March 2005, 12:30
Right Isle Of Wight Council here i come, and seeing as we're the only fencing club here, should be easy. Unless they are feeling stingy:grin:

Aidyboy
-5th March 2005, 12:45
Unless they are feeling stingy (luke99)

wouldn't get your hopes up then!

luke99
-5th March 2005, 12:48
True, they are 2 obsessed with getting profits from tourists. But James got sponsored fo athletics and there are loads of athletes on the island.

Aidyboy
-5th March 2005, 12:49
they only like ellen mcarthur!!!!:mad:

Dublte
-5th March 2005, 12:53
james didnt get much fundin tho.
we r hopefuly gettin tallship fundin frm em but we av 2 take photos nd giv 'good' comments bak 2 them 2 plus possibly advertisin but that hasnt bin negotiated yet.