PDA

View Full Version : British Fencing Swordmark Team Manager training. 5th July 09

Neil Brown
-5th June 2009, 14:53
Please see details & information below. Open to all.

The application form & any updated venue instructions will be on the British Fencing web site soon.

SwordMark – British Fencing Team Manager Workshop

Date: 5th July 09
Times: 09:30-17:00 (please arrive 10 minutes early to complete forms) full attendance is required
Venue: Browning Barracks, Aldershot
Course Tutor: Joy Retter
Cost: Free for British Fencing members, lunch will be available at £5

Joining instructions: for this course you must apply in advance with names & car registration numbers. Failure to do so will mean you can’t get onto the site.

This day will offer training for all people who want to travel with national teams in a position of responsibility. From September 09 all British Fencing junior or cadet trips must be staffed by managers & coaches who have done this training workshop.

From season 09-10 all British Fencing team managers will need:

British Fencing membership
British Fencing CRB (less than 3 years old)
Attendance on a sports coach UK Safeguarding & Protecting Children (SPC) course in the last 3 years
Attendance on this SwordMark Team Manager workshop

This workshop will enable you to perform effectively to support fencers, coaches & fellow team managers. It will help you get the best performances from the fencers & help them have worthwhile experiences in a safe environment.

Outcomes for the workshop

Understand the roles & responsibilities when taking under-18s away to competitions or training camps
Name the type of events these guidelines relate to
Be aware of the need for robust risk assessments & thorough checklists
Be aware of the necessary paperwork that must be completed & the final reporting
Understand the correct procedures if something does go wrong & the need for good reporting

Certificates are only issued to those who are present for the whole of the workshop.

JulianRose
-5th June 2009, 15:16
what is the situation with regard to referees on these trips. i presume they will need to be swordmarked, but will they need to hold this as well, or is only if they want to be a chaperone/coach/manager type as well that they will need to go on this course?

pinkelephant
-5th June 2009, 16:12
And what about people who have other commitments that weekend - the entire Cadet Men's Epee staff will be at the Bill Hoskyns.

Red
-5th June 2009, 16:36
Is this the same as the day at Bristol Uni earlier this year?

Neil Brown
-5th June 2009, 18:25
Is this the same as the day at Bristol Uni earlier this year?

Yes. That was the first pilot day, this is now the finished article. The 20 odd people who did the day in Bristol or the one in London a few weeks later do not need to do this again.

wear wanderers
-5th June 2009, 19:24
When is the next one then, it clashes with the Cambridge Open air too (also EPEE) ?

PM1
-6th June 2009, 10:20
OK - some corrections/amendments here (I think Neil will post later).

a)This day's course is the finished article - pilot day attendees have a certif to say they attended. THAT DOES NOT provide the final approval for TM training - there will be an online test that has to be successfully passed. More later.

b)There will be at least one more training day within the next few months, so attendance on this course ON THIS DATE is not mandatory - it was always going to be teh case that other things were going on on that day: Southern are holding a development day, so it was put on at the same time and in the same place.

c)There are prerequisites for attendance on this course - note COURSE, not workshop, but there are workshops as part of the tutorial style included. Those pre reqs are i) a BF CRB clearance. ii)a Safeguarding course certif - both i) and ii) being within the last 3 years and with good time to run still. It would also be helpful at this early stage in training if we could have attendee who have had some experience of trips (whether GB or otherwise).

DSSabre
-11th June 2009, 10:33
Jules

I dont believe it is intended for referees to have dual roles on these trips. The additional paperwork wre are talking about is good practise and a sensible way forwards rather than opening up referees to extra duties.

DS

JulianRose
-11th June 2009, 11:15
i suppose i was asking whether refs were going to needed to have this qualification to do junior/cadet trips rather than suggesting that they would double up on roles.

DSSabre
-11th June 2009, 11:17
The plan is yes. Ideally all referees that travel to any international competitions next season will be swordmarked, and if that process has not yet been finalised etc then they will have completed a CRB and CPC.

DS

JulianRose
-11th June 2009, 11:58
Yes but swordmarked ref, is not the same as having the swordmark team manager?

i.e.

Do I need to go on this team managers course in order to be able to referree at Kenten next year (as an example of the type of event that could be affected by this)?

DSSabre
-12th June 2009, 10:38
Jules,

No you do not need to do sword mark team manager training to travel with the teams as a referee as i understand it but you would need to be on the refereeing sword marked list which we hope will come on line Sept.

DS

Neil Brown
-26th June 2009, 22:20
Latest details & application form below & at http://sabrerankings.250x.com/SwordmarkTMtrainingJuly09.pdf

TEAM MANAGER TRAINING COURSE: 5TH JULY 2009

COURSE TITLE: TEAM MANAGER TRAINING
WHO IS THIS FOR? THOSE PEOPLE WHO ALREADY ARE TEAM MANAGERS FOR BRITISH FENCING AND WHO WISH TO BE LICENSED OR THOSE WHO WISH TO GET INVOLVED IN TEAM MANAGEMENT
DATE: 5TH JULY 2009
TIMES: 09:30-17:00 (PLEASE ARRIVE 10 MINUTES EARLY TO COMPLETE FORMS)
FULL ATTENDANCE IS REQUIRED (CERTIFICATES ARE ONLY ISSUED TO THOSE WHO ARE PRESENT FOR THE WHOLE OF THE WORKSHOP. COMPLETION OF AN ON-LINE TEST WILL BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO LICENSING)
VENUE: BROWNING BARRACKS, ALDERSHOT
COURSE TUTOR: JOY RETTER
COST: FREE FOR BRITISH FENCING MEMBERS, LUNCH WILL BE AVAILABLE AT £5

PRE-REQUISITES: IN ORDER TO ATTEND THIS COURSE YOU MUST:
 BE OVER 18 YEARS OLD
 HAVE CURRENT BRITISH FENCING MEMBERSHIP
 HAVE A BRITISH FENCING CRB DISCLOSURE (LESS THAN 3 YEARS OLD)
 HAVE ATTENDED A SPORTS COACH UK SAFEGUARDING & PROTECTING CHILDREN (SPC) COURSE IN THE LAST 3 YEARS
 APPLY IN ADVANCE USING THE FORM BELOW

KEY OUTCOMES: ATTENDEES WILL GAIN AN UNDERSTANDING OF THE FOLLOWING:
 THE ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF TEAM MANAGERS WHEN TAKING UNDER-18S AWAY TO COMPETITIONS OR TRAINING CAMPS
 THE RELEVANT LEGAL AND REGULATORY WELFARE AND SAFEGUARDING FRAMEWORKS
 THE PLANNING, MANAGEMENT, BUDGETING AND EVALUTATION PROCESS OF TRIPS
 RISK ASSESSMENT AND SITUATION MANAGEMENT
 SUPPORT NETWORK

REGISTRATION: YOU MUST REGISTER IN ADVANCE USING THE FORM BELOW, COMPLETING ALL FIELDS. BROWNING BARRACKS IS AN ARMY BASE AND CONSEQUENTLY MOD SECURITY CHECKS ARE IN PLACE.

NOTES ON SWORDMARK

From September 2009, all British Fencing junior or cadet trips will become licensed under British Fencing’s SwordMark programme which will help us to ensure the management of such trips is of a high standard. Consequently, from this season (2009-2010 starting in September) all British Fencing team managers will need to apply for a SwordMark license and this course forms part of this process. Meeting the prerequisites for this course & successfully completing this training will allow you to apply to become a licensed team manager under the proposed SwordMark Team Manager Licensing Programme.

For more information on SwordMark, please refer to the British Fencing website: www.britishfencing.com or contact British Fencing Head Office on headoffice@britishfencing.com.

TEAM MANAGER TRAINING COURSE: 5TH JULY 2009
REGISTRATION FORM

Please complete all fields and return this form to:

ROCHELLE DAZELEY, 127 TOTTERIDGE ROAD, HIGH WYCOMBE, HP13 6HR.
OR send to: rochelle.dazeley at btinternet.com

Name Email address

Address Post code

Home tel Mobile tel

Car registration *required if you wish to park your car at the barracks.

Sports coach UK SPC course? Y / N Date on certificate Issuer

Reason for attending this workshop? ………………………………………………………………

Any specific questions that you would like to be answered at the workshop? ……………………………………………………

Signature:………………………………………………… Date

NB: If you would like lunch please enclose a £5 cheque made payable to ‘BFA Southern’ (cash on day if emailing application)

Neil Brown
-30th June 2009, 09:20
Reminder.

Anyone who is planning to do this training day will need to apply in advance in order to get their car into the barracks.

Red
-14th September 2009, 16:03
a)This day's course is the finished article - pilot day attendees have a certif to say they attended. THAT DOES NOT provide the final approval for TM training - there will be an online test that has to be successfully passed. More later.

Is this available yet?
If so, where? If not, when?

Baldric
-14th September 2009, 17:59
Is this available yet?
If so, where? If not, when?

I believe that there is another coming up soon. Piers may have more details.

PM1
-14th September 2009, 21:25
Another training day on SAturday this coming w/e.

On line stuff available? Not that I'm aware of.

I'll share my knowledge next week (when I have had a loong day's training followed by a long chat and chunter with my fellow trainers)

:)

Red
-15th September 2009, 09:04

I'll share my knowledge next week (when I have had a loong day's training followed by a long chat and chunter with my fellow trainers)

OK... Given the availability of the online element, have those that did the pilots done enough (along with CRB, SPC) or will they need to do it again?

UglyBug
-15th September 2009, 11:36

where and when?

PM1
-16th September 2009, 12:13
Hi Red - for THIS season, the pilot will do with the on line once it comes on line....the qualification/licence is required to be renewed, I believe annually :)

Uglybug - where: Warwick school, when - SAturday 18th September (this w/e coming) starting 9 ish until 5 ish. Contact Nick Chapman as he is facilitating (stressed on here).

PM me if more info needed :)

MrsWFFC
-16th September 2009, 23:03
Hi PM1,

If we have to renew annually, not a problem, but can *you (*the powers that be whose ears I know you have access to that is) try and ensure not all training is held in England? There is one pilot trained and two full TM trained volunteers in Scotland that I know of and possibly more.

Much appreciated if you can do so............:D

Or will we be able to renew via the online resource? Even better:)

Mrs WFFC

PM1
-17th September 2009, 20:24
Would a session way in the North of England do?? :whistle:. We will need Scottish and Welsh (and NI) unless we link to major comps (which has its own problems given that this takes a whole day). I can't vouch for the wiles of the IC but I can do me best for you. I anticipate that re licensing may very well be on line anyway, for possibly years 2 and 3 anyway, probably bring in line with SPC (my opinion).

:not_worth

MrsWFFC
-18th September 2009, 10:13
Hey Mags,

that would be better than nothing but it still takes me over 2hrs just to get out of Scotland!
I know most of BFs volunteers are based in England but maybe we'd get a few more if we could offer this course in each of the HC's.:whistle:

Try your best for me m'dear you know your efforts are much appreciated:).

See you at Sheffield

Lorri