PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Training at St Andrews

Ottilia
-14th June 2009, 12:42
The University of St Andrews' Athletic Union is hosting a 'pre-season' training week for fencers, this is designed to prepare teams for the coming season, however would benefit any intermediate or advanced fencers.

The residential training camp will run from the 13th to 18th September, and
Is open to intermediate and advanced fencers of all weapons aged 16+. The training camp will cost 300 pounds for the week including accommodation. (If you do
not require accommodation the price is 150 pounds for the week.)

The training camp includes:
-classical fencing training
-box fencing
-fencing specific physical conditioning
-Strength and Conditioning (and its role in injury prevention)
-Functional movement assessments/Dynamic profiling
-Video Analysis of your own fencing
-Seminars on Nutrition, Recovery Management, Psychology, tournament preparation and tactics.

Further Enquiries/Entries to fencing@st-andrews.ac.uk

Deadline for entries 31st July

Regards,

Ottilia Csoti
Fencing Club Captain

LifeBeginsAt58
-27th June 2009, 14:20
This sounds like a really great course and a bargain to boot!
You refer to an age-limit of 16 plus. Am I correct in assuming that younger candidates who meet the BF requirement for Senior Opens i.e. 13 on Jan 1st would be eligible for day-time attendence?
It's just that I can think of a few local fencers who meet that criterion and already used to fencing at Opens who would be very interested.
OK, they'll maybe have to nag their school to be allowed to attend but as this course is clearly educational as well as aspirational, I think most schools would agree - extra homework anyone :)

coach carson
-28th June 2009, 12:16
Who is providing the coaching?

Ottilia
-1st July 2009, 15:50
The training camp is indeed open to younger fencers who have comfortably fenced british opens and wish to attend during the day time only.

The coaching will be provided by S. Stoodley and M. Mckenzie who train the st andrews university fencers.

LifeBeginsAt58
-4th July 2009, 12:24
HI Ottilia, are there any links to further details available yet?

purple
-9th July 2009, 11:46
"classical fencing training"

I sure hope you mean regular fencing training and not classical fencing training. Not particularly helpful on the open circuit.

Barely legal
-9th July 2009, 15:48
"classical fencing training"

I sure hope you mean regular fencing training and not classical fencing training. Not particularly helpful on the open circuit.

I can confirm that Stan's training would not be the classical fencing training you mean and that it is helpful on the open circuit. Mark's training is also very helpful on the open circuit.

scottishsabreur
-9th July 2009, 19:16
Having some knowledge of both coaches, I assume this is a foil focussed course?

miker
-10th July 2009, 07:11
I can confirm that Stan's training would not be the classical fencing training you mean and that it is helpful on the open circuit. Mark's training is also very helpful on the open circuit.

Yes I thought the "classical" bit was a tad scary but knowing that it's Stan & Mark, well, phew.

Barely legal
-10th July 2009, 14:53
Having some knowledge of both coaches, I assume this is a foil focussed course?

It is not a foil focused course. Both coaches are very good epee coaches, too. (I know that at least Mark is also an experienced sabre coach, but my knowledge of sabre is not good enough to comment on their sabre coaching skills)