PDA

View Full Version : British Youth Championships

Exgeordielass
-10th December 2003, 15:55
Son having qualified for this in February, any recommendations for hotels in Stoke?

Last time we stayed at the Moat House and didn't have a great experience - very cold room (no heating).

Although, otherwise it was a very good hotel, can anyone recommend an alternative? Has anyone tried the Plough Motel, Holiday Inn (Stoke) or Tollgate Hotel?

randomsabreur
-10th December 2003, 16:00
The Plough Motel (Attached to the back of a nice Pub) was pretty nice when I went for the senior Winton. Not too pricey and quite presentable, although the plumbing was a little noisy

Boo Boo
-10th December 2003, 16:06
We stayed at "The Quality Hotel" last year. Not as posh/modern as the Moat House, but it was a fine hotel. http://www.qualityhotelstoke.co.uk/

It was pretty nice (even a jacuzzi bath in each room!), descent breakfast and VERY well located (right in the centre of Stoke - good for finding a restaurant!). There was a pool there too, but didn't use it.

Have also stayed in the Holiday Inn Express at Stoke-on-Trent. The rooms were nice and there is a complimentary continental breakfast (although I prefer a cooked breakfast when fencing...). There are no leisure facilities at that hotel. http://www.superbreak.com/home.cfm?Company=IN535&GroupID=4500&content=hotel

Didn't have a problem with the heating at the Moat House when we stayed there - could it has been just your room?

Boo

Exgeordielass
-10th December 2003, 16:11
Originally posted by Boo Boo
We stayed at "The Quality Hotel" last year. Not as posh/modern as the Moat House, but it was a fine hotel. http://www.qualityhotelstoke.co.uk/

It was pretty nice (even a jacuzzi bath in each room!), descent breakfast and VERY well located (right in the centre of Stoke - good for finding a restaurant!). There was a pool there too, but didn't use it.

Have also stayed in the Holiday Inn Express at Stoke-on-Trent. The rooms were nice and there is a complimentary continental breakfast (although I prefer a cooked breakfast when fencing...). There are no leisure facilities at that hotel. http://www.superbreak.com/home.cfm?Company=IN535&GroupID=4500&content=hotel

Didn't have a problem with the heating at the Moat House when we stayed there - could it has been just your room?

Boo

Yes, it was just our room, no one else had a problem. Would treat it as a one off but the management were unable to fix it, despite complaining several times overnight and it did affect son's performance next day. Hence would prefer to try somewhere else this time! Quality Hotel sounds good - may investiage that. Thanks for the info :party:

PM1
-10th December 2003, 20:09
Have stayed at the Innkeepers Lodge, with comp breakfast, but this year have booked into v cheap Holiday Inn express - especially if you book online - which reminds me - got to book PM2 in - .......

Exgeordielass
-11th December 2003, 19:27
Originally posted by PM1
Have stayed at the Innkeepers Lodge, with comp breakfast, but this year have booked into v cheap Holiday Inn express - especially if you book online - which reminds me - got to book PM2 in - .......

Agree very good offer online - in fact it's far too good to miss - we're now booked in, too. Just hope the dates of the competition, don't change !:rolleyes: Three-bedded room for 35 - no breakfast but with son needing to be at hall by 8.30, this shouldn't be a problem!

Thanks PM1.

PM1
-12th December 2003, 09:25
It's my pleasure - but there IS breakfast, if you've gone to HI Express - buffet continental, loads of cards, just what he needs !!!! It's all part of the "express" image - no waiting around, get your own, etc. Low on cost for them,

Enjoy - we're there Friday 6th for Saturday.

And I would expect the dates to be cast in stone....the venue costs a fortune, I think, and it's booked for 2 weekends to cover all 6 weapons. Third year at the venue and same dates, if I remember rightly
(but then I am at home, v. tired, fluey and not a little fed up)

PM1
-12th December 2003, 09:33
...for "cards" read "carbs".....told you I wasn't feeling too good.....

Exgeordielass
-12th December 2003, 09:41
No problem, hope you feel better soon, I hate the flu.

Our boiler (brand new in October) has just packed in and the engineers can't come until Monday :mad: Husband is scurrying round house with fan heaters and an old electric heater of his father's - his adage of never throwing things out is certainly paying off! Kind of ironic, thinking of why I asked about hotels in the first place!:upset:

Would be good if we get breakfast, an added bonus. We will be there on the 7th for son fencing on the 8th, so guess we are not destined to meet!

PM1
-12th December 2003, 10:52
ooooo, yer never know.......!!R is Y'shire U16 sabre champ too, but unlikely to fence because he needs to be at Slough.

Which reminds me.......