PDA

View Full Version : Stupid search function!

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 19:17
The 'search' function on the forum is really stupid - it requires you to have a minimum search term of four words. Why????? I just tried to search with 3, and hence couldn't get anywhere. And I can't think of an extra word to tag on the end, so as a consequence I now need to trawl through all the old threads to find what I want. I could also think of occasions where I would only have one single keyword I was looking for.

Why, kenny, why oh why oh why?

Please can you change it??

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 19:19
Actually it seems to be generally screwed up - I just tried with 5 words, and it still told me I didn't have enough words to reach the 4 minimum.

Huh???

Tarmac
-10th December 2003, 19:24
what are you searching for?

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 19:54
The 'Born to Win' thread. Want to mention it in my newspaper blurb (see another thread), and I wanted to look up which channel it was on. I found it now just by looking at all the thread titles.

Tarmac
-10th December 2003, 19:57
the search thingy seems to work better with less words in for me... might just be the phrasing..

Dave Hillier
-10th December 2003, 20:16
It isn't a 4 word minimum it is a 4 letter minimum. So "to" or "win" won't work but "peter" and "kirby" should.

I assume that this is done to stop searching for pronouns or is something to do with the way the search engine works anyway. It is common to all of the other vbulletin board that I have used.

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 20:32
Originally posted by Dave Hillier
It isn't a 4 word minimum it is a 4 letter minimum. So "to" or "win" won't work but "peter" and "kirby" should.

Ah. That's not very obvious from the error message. I put in 'born to win' but it didn't like it.

Oh well, found it now anyway.

PM1
-16th December 2003, 00:02
Muso - when you're in print, are you going to let us see it??
(sorry, I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm feeling v lazy and tired.....)

Muso440
-21st December 2003, 14:23
Originally posted by PM1
Muso - when you're in print, are you going to let us see it??
(sorry, I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm feeling v lazy and tired.....)

Me too :)

They took basically what I wrote, reworded it a bit, and printed it. But unfortunately for some reason it's not on their web pages (:( ), and I don't have a paper copy (I just snook a quick look in WHSmiths - not going to shell out money on local rag I'm not otherwise interested in, I know what I wrote anyway!). So I can't even scan it in. Sorry!

madfencer
-24th March 2004, 16:39
search things r normally **** havent tried this one tho-id advicde u jst to look manually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!