PDA

View Full Version : Make up Thread

Muso440
-9th December 2003, 19:21
Beats me why anyone wears make-up anyway. In general, I mean, as well as while fencing.

Aoife
-9th December 2003, 21:04
make up + fencing = mess!

I learnt long agop that foundation + sweat + mask = smeary mess on head band thingy :) No foundation (or not much foundation) for me when fencing!

I can manage to fence and keep my eyemake-up on fine. Same for some lipstick/gloss.

Beats me why anyone wears make-up anyway. In general, I mean, as well as while fencing.

Because some people feel we need to paint a two inch thick layer of muck over our natural faces before we leave the house for fear of small children running away shrieking "Oh dear God, what is that thing?!"

The hoodrats were wearing slipknot hoodies with baseball caps and jeans several sizes too large. Have I correctly identified the species of "yoof"?

No, no no no! That's more the grunger/goth/mosher/thrash metal possy. Hoodrats are more Drum and Base, Garage, "R&B". When a Ford Fiesta with a blue underlight, spoilers, and blacked out windows zooms past blaring something which sounds like "Boom boom boom boom Kushuck boom boom boom" - there's probably a Chav inside. :)

Oooh, I have a 'mid-poorly-executed-for-the-camera-fleche' photo availible. Just got to nab a copy form the school. The local papers are coming round on Thursday to do a bit on the club anyway (what we're about,. our year 7s, our participation in the SE Regionals, pictures of lots of young girls in tight clothing... the usual in our local rags :) ).

Mantis
-9th December 2003, 22:33
Originally posted by Aoife
Because some people feel we need to paint a two inch thick layer of muck over our natural faces before we leave the house for fear of small children running away shrieking "Oh dear God, what is that thing?!"

When you said you were 5'(not-very-many)" somewhere else, is that before or after adding a couple of inches of "muck"? :grin:

Personally, I prefer the extra space on a busy street. :tongue:

DrT
-10th December 2003, 08:49
No, no no no! That's more the grunger/goth/mosher/thrash metal possy. Hoodrats are more Drum and Base, Garage, "R&B". When a Ford Fiesta with a blue underlight, spoilers, and blacked out windows zooms past blaring something which sounds like "Boom boom boom boom Kushuck boom boom boom" - there's probably a Chav inside. :)

It all becomes clear. I think. :dizzy:

pictures of lots of young girls in tight clothing... the usual in our local rags :) ).
What a terrible way to describe yourselves! Your kit didn't look that tatty at the weekend ;)

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 08:59

a) Please have some self-confidence, girl!
b) I for one am more likely to think 'dear God, what is that thing' when seeing someone with make-up on than without.

Make-up is just a conspiracy to make women part with their money for no conceivable reason, and to persuade them to feel bad about their 'natural' selves and waste their time worrying about their appearance. It doesn't make anyone look better - if you're gorgeous with make-up, you're gorgeous without make-up; if you're ugly without make-up, you'll be ugly with make-up.

Try going out of the house without any make-up and see what happens. Not much, I'd wager ;)

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 14:40
make up enhances natural beauty, in my opinion i look better wit mascara, i look worse with foundation though, it turns orange!

haha!

and i dont know about any one else, but people say o my god what is that thing, no matter what i do! its true!

i have actaully managed to turn my mask and unnatiral colour due to hair die for pink day, i didnt bother washing it out and then i went fencing the next day! what a mess!

i mite try wearing eye make up when fencing, i probably have tried it, but with the night befores stuff, not fresh stuff! and due to the early start i cant get my contacts in for fencing never mind plastering myself with make up!

and inces of make up just look stupid, natural looking make up can look ok, but too much, in excess is just pointles,, and a waste of money!

Tarmac
-10th December 2003, 17:44
i had a girlfriend once who thought it'd be fun to tart me up with make up.... i thought i looked bl**dy awful.. mind you don't suppose the stubble helped though - and no, of course i wasn't flippin sober!!:tongue:

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 18:06
Originally posted by hayleyjade
make up enhances natural beauty

Load of c**p. Don't believe everything the cosmetics industry tells you.

but people say o my god what is that thing, no matter what i do!

Which kind of proves my point.

i mite try wearing eye make up when fencing,

Er, hello????? You're wearing a MASK for God's sake!! What the hell's the point in that?!

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 18:10
there is no method in my maddness, and no point really, without maquillage scares the opponent before the mask goes on, yet i like to look presentable when the mask comes off, as for believing everything the cosmetics industry throws at me, im young fickle and impressionable, i am allowed to buy into their lies, its not my money i spend, well technically it is my hard earned cash, but i dont think you would call looking after kids hard work, or maybe you would, but you would disagree in pay, as all parents do a groovy job on no pay! hats of 2 em!

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 18:25
without maquillage scares the opponent before the mask goes on

I kind of doubt that. They're probably thinking about fencing, funnily enough.

yet i like to look presentable when the mask comes off,

You do look presentable. Well, as presentable as anyone can be having just got sweaty. And make-up's not going to help that.

Tarmac
-10th December 2003, 18:27
mind you, if i came off the piste in makeup i'm sure the opponent would feel slighlty odd...
might give it a try... look at johnny depp in Pirates otC

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 18:28
god, i just can't win can i?

god stop being so cynical! u never know what anyone is thinking b4 fencing, im usually thinking about food, but hey maybe in your world its slightly more serious!

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 18:30
oooooo johnny depp! hehe give it a try! haha, it mght not have the same effect, but who knows?

*in dream world*

Tarmac
-10th December 2003, 18:34
do whatever makes you feel comfortable in yourself is the answer to this debate methinks... theres no need to believe anybody else's view on anything (except a judge) just as long as you respect it...
as for the johnny depp thing i wasn't born with a bag over my head i'm glad to say...

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 18:38
personally i dont give a damn what i look like most of the time, unless im going out out, or im likely to bump into someone i like,

and
as for the johnny depp thing i wasn't born with a bag over my head i'm glad to say...

eh?
je ne comprends pas!

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 18:52
Originally posted by Tarmac
do whatever makes you feel comfortable in yourself is the answer to this debate methinks...

Hmm, yeah, agree-ish. But why do girls/women think they have to chuck gunk over themselves in order to feel comfortable in themselves? Boys don't feel the urge. Why can't they just feel comfortable without it, and have more self-confidence?

Sorry to rant. It's something that generally annoys me, but which I don't generally have the opportunity to spout about. So you've just got me started...

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 18:55
hehe, o well, um im not sure, i think make up gives more confidence, i sure feel a bit better if i cover my spots with make up, rather than them being bright red, im not sure why, generally people look more alive with make up, i know my face colour is very pale naturally, so its nice to look alive, especially early in the morning!

Tarmac
-10th December 2003, 19:00
Originally posted by Muso440
Hmm, yeah, agree-ish. But why do girls/women think they have to chuck gunk over themselves in order to feel comfortable in themselves? Boys don't feel the urge.

that's because we're all exceptionally lazy...:tongue:

Muso440
-10th December 2003, 19:04
hehe, o well, um im not sure, i think make up gives more confidence

But why should you need gunk on your face to give you confidence? Boys don't. (Presumably.) (See previous post)

generally people look more alive with make up, i know my face colour is very pale naturally, so its nice to look alive, especially early in the morning!

Hmm, into realm of personal opinion here, really. I don't think anyone looks more alive with make-up. I think they just look like they have pointless chemicals on their face.

Tarmac
-10th December 2003, 19:13
what about perfume/fragrance? is that in the same bracket?

Tubby
-10th December 2003, 19:44
Hmm, yeah, agree-ish. But why do girls/women think they have to chuck gunk over themselves in order to feel comfortable in themselves? Boys don't feel the urge. Why can't they just feel comfortable without it, and have more self-confidence?
Come on - a bit of lippy, eye liner and mascara, no matter how beautiful you are when applied properly you'd go up a notch in the beauty scales. Fact of life in this culture. Different cultures have different beauty values, I've been socialized to value full red lips, big eyes, long smooth hairless legs, long straight hair, medium length straight nose, a bit of hip, flat stomach, 3 inch heels to accentuate the long smooth hairless legs, b cup and no adams apple. If girls feel that they want to conform to that then RIGHT ON! If they move in circles where the target partner responds to short hair, various body piercings, tattoos, hairy pits, walking boots and cargo pants no doubt they'll get themselves togged up that way and feel that they were making themselves more attractive.

As for men, what have we got to do? Have a six pack, be 6ft 2, broad shoulders, short cropped spiky dark hair, solid jaw line, able to move pecs independently of each other, small firm butt, defined biceps and forearms, white teeth, smooth hairless back, wear designer clothes, have a job that pays at least 50k, swanky sports car, deep voice, good sense of humour, big hands and an even bigger *&%, be good with children, not want to watch the footie on valentines day but to go on a romantic dinner, like to buy diamonds. Yeah right, nothing.

Body image issues - most people have it.

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 20:45
hehe! right on tubby, there are certain stereo types that people try to conform to, but as you grow up you hopefully gain more sense, and generally cant be bothered.

as for boys doing nothing, they do their hair? right? some of you must do, as for why, its to attract a partner, just look at the animal instincts, animals puff up their chests etc to try and look better make up is the human equivalent to this.

personally i agree that if make up is applied wrong it looks worse, but it can enhance what you have already got.

and for god sakes IM A TEEN!!! i'm supposed to try and make myslef look stupid/better, and there is an element of peircing going on for that!

really i think people should do what they want, its their faces, apart from animal testing it doesnt harm anyone!

Tarmac
-10th December 2003, 20:47
Originally posted by Tubby
Have a six pack, be 6ft 2, broad shoulders, short cropped spiky dark hair, solid jaw line, able to move pecs independently of each other, small firm butt, defined biceps and forearms, white teeth, smooth hairless back, wear designer clothes, have a job that pays at least 50k, swanky sports car, deep voice, good sense of humour, big hands and an even bigger *&%, be good with children, not want to watch the footie on valentines day but to go on a romantic dinner, like to buy diamonds.

i was doing fine up to the 50K job bit...:P don't have a sports car either... do have several bits of smashed motorbike though!!

hayleyjade
-10th December 2003, 20:50
do have several bits of smashed motorbike though!!

stick it on your wall! it could look cool! i once saw a whole car coming out of a wallin a diner in usa, looked cool!

Aoife
-10th December 2003, 21:06
smooth hairless back

Hairy backs :dizzy:

(Sorry, pet hate)

I think Tubby's right on the mark... people wear what they wear because they feel comfortable in how they see themselves, in how they think the desired sex see them, and in how the undesired sex see them (I know if I've dragged myself into school ill, no make up, not brushed my hair et cetera, I'll have no comment from boys other than asking if I'm alright- it's the other girls who'll do the "You look crap!" thing).

Body image issues - most people have it.

Darn it Tubby, you pre-emptivly stole my point! I demand you give it back!!!! :grin:

But why should you need gunk on your face to give you confidence? Boys don't.

I know boys who wear foundation- and they get teased for it (which surely does wonders for their lack of confidence). I know other boys who say they'd wear make-up if it wasn't seen as a "girls' thing".

What a terrible way to describe yourselves! Your kit didn't look that tatty at the weekend

Ah-hah. The thick grows plotter! :)

Our local papers just have a penchant for anything involving underage girls in skimpy/tight costumes. :rolleyes:

a) Please have some self-confidence, girl!

The feeling that I look presentable once I've put make-up on is very self-confident to the point of feeling guilty about being vain in my books. Self-confidence and me haven't gone together in a looooong time. Sorry if it annoys you, if I could change it I would, but it's been far to deeply ingrained over the years.

Other than that...

I'm just hoping somebody gets some fencing pictures soon to try to heave the thread back on track... I'll attempt to wrestle my fleche photo of the Deputy Head tomorrow.

Mantis
-10th December 2003, 22:39
I'm just hoping somebody gets some fencing pictures soon to try to heave the thread back on track...

Admirable attempt to keep on topic, but I fear you are fighting a losing battle. I've already posted the only one I have access to of me, but I think the Northumbria Uni AU used a picture with me in it in their publicity brochure last year (Grrr! Where's my royalties? :mad: ). Anyone got a copy of that?

I'll attempt to wrestle my fleche photo of the Deputy Head tomorrow.

Remember, you're the one holding a sword. :grin:

Muso440
-11th December 2003, 08:31
Tubby: Okay, I agree that both men and women feel they have to live up to certain expectations. And I think that's generally crap too. But I would contend that if everyone just stopped doing what society expected, and didn't bother with all that stuff, the world would still turn, people would still fall in love and produce offspring, etc etc.

I just don't get why people feel they have to do what this abstract thing called 'society' expects of them, image wise. I haven't done so since the age of about 17, but my life is still quite good (shock horror!). I have a decent job and a partner, for instance.

Muso440
-11th December 2003, 08:39

as for boys doing nothing, they do their hair? right? some of you must do, as for why, its to attract a partner,

You'd attract a partner anyway.

just look at the animal instincts, animals puff up their chests etc to try and look better, make up is the human equivalent to this.

Oh poo. What rot. How did the human race survive in the eras before make-up was invented then??

and for god sakes IM A TEEN!!! i'm supposed to try and make myslef look stupid/better

You could try and break out of the stereotypes and be an individual?

really i think people should do what they want, its their faces, apart from animal testing it doesnt harm anyone!

Well, apart from the self-confidence issues. Which I think can be quite damaging to people over the course of their lives.

Muso440
-11th December 2003, 08:45

I think Tubby's right on the mark... people wear what they wear because they feel comfortable in how they see themselves, in how they think the desired sex see them, and in how the undesired sex see them (I know if I've dragged myself into school ill, no make up, not brushed my hair et cetera, I'll have no comment from boys other than asking if I'm alright- it's the other girls who'll do the "You look crap!" thing).

Doesn't that exactly prove the point? That the boys don't notice it anyway, much less care?

The feeling that I look presentable once I've put make-up on is very self-confident to the point of feeling guilty about being vain in my books. Self-confidence and me haven't gone together in a looooong time. Sorry if it annoys you, if I could change it I would, but it's been far to deeply ingrained over the years.

That's really sad, Aoife. You have lots to be self-confident about!

Jambo
-11th December 2003, 08:47
Make up and fashion do not damage peoples self confidence. Their parents,friends and selves do that to them.

If people want to conform to their society norms then thats fine, equally if you dont want to then dont. I choose to conform to a large extent, it doesnt make my naive or spineless.

Marcos
-11th December 2003, 10:08
I know this was a thread long ago (or maybe I'm thinking of one on fencing101) but I tought, there are so many new members here, lets bring it up again...

Anybody have pictures of themselves fencing or in their kit (don't be shy now).

I've got a couple to start it off...

My fencing pics (http://www.picturetrail.com/aoife-t)

The first four or so are from fencing (feel free to ignore the rest). I should be able to get my hands on some of me actually fencing soon (if I mug my friend who brought a camera one week).

are you wearing make-up? seems a lot of effort for fencing training! :tongue:

whoa - this thread has gone nuts

Gav
-11th December 2003, 10:37
Use this thread to to chat about make-up and related nonsense.

And please - no personal attacks. I know some people have a problem with people wearing make-up but there is no need to escalate the thread. If this thread gets out of hand it can be closed.

hokers
-11th December 2003, 10:41
Got it, the make up stuff has been split out of the Fencing pictures thread into a separate one.

Where's the pictures one gone?

hokers
-11th December 2003, 10:48
Found it..Pictures thread here:

http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1188

Gav
-11th December 2003, 11:06
I've not changed the name of the original thread, but when the threads are split off they start off with the same name then it has to be changed. Sorry for any confusion.

hayleyjade
-11th December 2003, 16:06
Yes this thread di go way off topic! it went very strange, yet having reached no conclusion!

can't we agree to disagree on this? some people like make up, some dont, many have sefl confidence issues, many don't,
but hey, i wouldbnt say i had no self confidence, i really dont care what people think about me generally! i just prefer to look half presentable, yet i use the excuse im a teenager, and why can't i conform? i conform yet rebel, whjats wrong with that, i dont dress like the rest of the world, just because i wear make up does not mean i am conforming does it? there is no rule saying i must wear make up, most days i go without it!

i think this has escalatated past make up though. is it the smae wit, perfume, contact lenses (i recently started wearing contact lenses, slighty for vanity reasons, due to the fact i have been wearing glasses since i was big enough to) shoes, and designer labels?

personaly i feel that people wear what they want to make themsleves feel happy! and :) smiling :) people is better than frowning people! :(:(

do you not think?

hayleyjade
-11th December 2003, 16:09
o, before make up they used to do allsorts, cant think of a specific example, but elizabeth 1st stuffed her cheeks with some thing (cork i think it was) for vanity reasons.

to start with eyemake up was worn in Egypt (it may have been earlier, i dont know) they wore this to keep sand out of their eyes, so make up has been around a long time! not much came before the eqyptians, so i dont think we can say what they did before then!

Tubby
-11th December 2003, 21:24
Tubby: Okay, I agree that both men and women feel they have to live up to certain expectations. And I think that's generally crap too. But I would contend that if everyone just stopped doing what society expected, and didn't bother with all that stuff, the world would still turn, people would still fall in love and produce offspring, etc etc.

I just don't get why people feel they have to do what this abstract thing called 'society' expects of them, image wise. I haven't done so since the age of about 17, but my life is still quite good (shock horror!). I have a decent job and a partner, for instance. Muso440: Fair point. Whats the harsh sad reality though? When we're (ok me and some of my mates) looking for a partner, its not a case of any port in a storm (well not unless that was the objective for that night). You get yourself turned out in the way you feel will show off your best attributes. Why? Ego (if you subscribe to that theory) for one. We may want to put ourself in a position where we are able to attract more than one potential partner so we can choose the best one. We may fall in love with the first person to show an interest in us, maybe we convince ourselves that we're in love with the one we end up with because our biological clock told us to.

Some people use make up, others their self confidence and natural charm, fat sad gits like me make do with dark tops and lighter trousers to make us look slimmer and taller coz Trinny and Susanah says thats how you do it. I believe some even have gone to the hair dresser barber thing and have their hair done just so. Have you ever turned up to a black tie do in jeans and a t-shirt? I did once, not likely to do it again. Some people have enough self belief and confidence to be able to carry it off, I've not got that strong a character, I wish I did though once I got through half a shandy I didn't care much and by a pint I was everyone's but that's another story. I suppose I'm saying in a roundabout obtuse way that we define ourselves to an extent with our body image and maybe that image defines us. I'm glad you are confident in yourself to not be suckered into the make up thing, however do you have a bowl cut?
If we make an effort to attract the best partner we can then maybe we won't have to settle. Did you ever secretly in your heart feel that there was one that got away or why didn't they fancy me, not even a twinge that it was because I might have been minging on the one day it could have mattered and consoled yourself with "oh well if that was important to them they weren't worth it?" In the short space of time we socialise with people the most immediate impact we make is visually (some people are just loud and maybe that's what does it for them). I used to hang with a few nuns awhile back and one of the reasons for the habit (other than group affinity and identity thing) was so that they could abandon the trappings of the world but in doing so created a whole raft of catholic boys like me with a thing for the habit and wimple. I can go for the natural look (provided they're not too hideous - sorry I'm shallow and no saint) but a bowl cut, say you don't have a bowl cut.

Re your points on the human race surviving there was a whole section of belief in one religion which came about from a load of men being killed off on the way to Utah. Also I suspect you don't mean to include Lot and his daughters in the survival thing, however I will as the selfish gene and the biological drive will out but it shouldn't mean we should settle when for a bit of lippy, hair gel and a razor we could have snagged ourselve our very own J. Howard Marshall II and got him to donate a load of kit including electric pistes to the club.

Muso440
-13th December 2003, 10:16
Wooh, spooky moment back then when it looked like someone called Muso started a new thread on make up and it wasn't me! Now I've worked it out.

*Sigh* I'm obviously on my own on this one, so I shall stop fighting my own little corner and let the rest of you get on with increasing the wage packet of L'Oreal's CEO... It's the weekend and I can't be bothered to fight any more (hmm, maybe that's why I always lose at fencing :confused: )

One final point:

Originally posted by Tubby
I can go for the natural look (provided they're not too hideous - sorry I'm shallow and no saint) but a bowl cut, say you don't have a bowl cut.

No, I don't! Just to reassure you.