PDA

View Full Version : 4th Plinth Trafalgar square

Marcos
-12th December 2003, 09:06
A bunch of artists have been debating over their capucino as to what should occupy the 4th Plinth in Trafalgar Square

http://www.fourthplinth.co.uk/fourthplinth.htm

on the link are the final 6 proposals - its friday, so pull up your Moca, light a fag, and be bohemian - what do you think of the proposals?

Gav
-12th December 2003, 09:46
They are all, quite frankly, rubbish. Of the entrants 'No war' is the best but even that... Why is public art so rubbish?

What's wrong with a decent statue?

kingkenny
-12th December 2003, 10:25
I thought they were all rubbish i thought the only posible one would be no war as its the only one that would even fit in.
the car in shit is so BAD.

Mantis
-12th December 2003, 11:07
Call me cynical, but I think "No War" will win. Not because it is any less tripe than the others, but because of the popular sentiment. The artist has clearly put a lot of effort and creativity into producing something to win this competition.

Marcos
-12th December 2003, 11:20
Originally posted by Kingkenny
I thought they were all rubbish i thought the only posible one would be no war as its the only one that would even fit in.
the car in shit is so BAD.

Main reason I put this post up is because I wanted to see if I was the only one who thought this way

I like No War coz it would fit in, reflects a good deal of today's sentiment (whether or not I agree with it) and also would serve as a counter-balance to the martial theme of Trafalgar Square

I quite like the Tomahawks, but the rest are dreadful - I mean, who is going to clean the bird poo from that mecano skyscraper

anyway, post your views!

randomsabreur
-12th December 2003, 12:03
But Trafalgar square is to commemorate the victory by Nelson over a superior (numerically at least) combined French and Spanish fleet. I think that no war cannot fit in in a square built to commemorate the victor of the battle!

Rdb811
-12th December 2003, 12:35
Arghhh - it was the Arts Council Funded bit that really gets me going - even by the standards of modern 'art' (where everything is a one-use joke that needs to be explained to the public), this is dreadful.

The idea seems to be to gratiously wreck the aesthectic harmony of the Square in a 'sod you' attitude. (OK, you may not like the existing buildings or statuary, but at least they 'hang together').

There were some interesting modern sculptures on the terrace outside Somerset House last summer (I've forgotten who by) that were much better than these jokes.

Muso440
-13th December 2003, 10:01
Originally posted by randomsabreur
But Trafalgar square is to commemorate the victory by Nelson over a superior (numerically at least) combined French and Spanish fleet. I think that no war cannot fit in in a square built to commemorate the victor of the battle!

Trafalgar square WAS to commemorate etc etc....

Doesn't mean it has to stay that way for ever, does it? I think having the 'no war' thingy in there would make rather an interesting combination.

I'd probably go for the no war one too, but I agree there's not much of a choice

hayleyjade
-13th December 2003, 17:33
hehe! guess which was my vote, just because i like to be different! and i'm feeling in a stupid mood today and would find it funny! or maybe not..... o well! i cast my vote!

also i didn't really understand the other ones, im too thick, and young and slow. sorry!

bucket
-16th December 2003, 18:03
What about sticking a traffic cone up there and leaving it.

modern art and pointless- arts people will like it.

normal people would find it stupid and/or funny.

everyone wins. about as sane as the other suggestions.

Rdb811
-16th December 2003, 19:19
Originally posted by bucket

Bloody student.

bucket
-6th January 2004, 10:04
Not actually anymore. decided to go out into real world out of pure boredom.

just making a point about modern art.

tigger
-6th January 2004, 12:46
All the pro-war folks will feel so left out...

It shouldn't be a temporary political staement on the current global situation. But yes the proposed 'works of art' are all either dated, pretentious or plain good old bollox

Aoife
-6th January 2004, 21:02

You think such a valuable student decor piece would remain there long? :grin:

Rdb811
-6th January 2004, 23:03
Originally posted by bucket
Not actually anymore. decided to go out into real world out of pure boredom.

And then you found the truth about the "real world" .....

Marcos
-7th January 2004, 08:20
Originally posted by Rdb811
And then you found the truth about the "real world" .....

hence the success of internet message boards

indigogecko
-16th January 2004, 19:42
I'd have to agree the no war one is the "best" though again, no choice really.. The car one is an interesting concept but more likely to cause passers by to feel ill than amused...:peace1: wins hands down.

Rdb811
-16th January 2004, 22:53
There is a retrospective of Lynn Chadwick's work in the entrance to the old Tate - a comparision with which will show how tawdry the plinth options are.

after seeing Picasso / Matisse I've become more drawn o modern sculpture - casting bronzes in my old age has an appeal.

Marcos
-16th March 2004, 09:59
it's all over
http://www.fourthplinth.co.uk/press_release.htm

Ken has chosen the Preganant Disabled Woman, followed 15 months later by Hotel for the Birds

kingkenny
-16th March 2004, 10:25
What is art coming too.
Why not put a statue of napolion on it and call the statue History.