PDA

View Full Version : Best Maraging Epee Available

Tarmac
-13th December 2003, 14:03
need a new blade and this time its gonna be expensive.. been looking at lots of websites etc but haven't heard all that many opinions... so, any suggestions?

Rdb811
-13th December 2003, 16:10
Have a new black Ukrainian that looks good (but hasn't got an off-set on it, yet, so I haven't built it) - the gold Allstar is good, as is the BF Blue (the Allstar might be a bit whippier).

The light weight Leon Paul is light, and I used it for a bit, but find I can't get flicks to land (it's flexible but only up and down, not side to side - if you don't get the angle right) and isn't heavy enough for a pris de fer - some one at the club has a stiffer one that can only pris de fer.

We've had this thread before.

Chris Morgan
-13th December 2003, 19:33
So your saying leon paul blades arent good for flicking?

Tarmac
-13th December 2003, 20:08
and whats the difference between a super BF, super bf blue, eco, sm, sm blue or gold, sm-n and fs?!?
trouble is i live nowhere near a store and the only way i can get kit is off the net so any advice is greatly appreciated!

aao
-14th December 2003, 13:00
Blades are very much down to personal choice, going for an FIE blade is generally a good idea because they are more durable. Over the past few years I've probably at one time or annother used all the main manufacturers blades and reckon the following:

Leon Paul- the v-shaped blade is indeed very light but the balance of the blade is horrible and so is the feel (you get some very odd vibrations up the blade) personally my least favourite epee of all time. (sorry Barry)

Allstar (non BF) Blades - allstar have a range of non BF Fie blades which tend to come in a variety of pretty colours (gold/rainbow/blue etc) while these do look good and tend to we quite nice to use (nice balance very good for flicks) but they aren't particualrily durable and you will find that after about a month of heavy use they tend to go out of shape very quickly and become very soft (and snap soon after). Basically better for the girls than the boys (because boys hit harder! not any other reason!! ((well apart from us being naturally better of course ;)))

BF Blades (whether from Allstar, LP, Ulhmann or anybody else)-these are generally viewed to be the best blades on the market and are certainly the most used, BF are the manufacturer who make the blades and then badge them up for their suppliers so an LP BF Blue Blade will be the same as an allstar BF Blue. There are 2 colours of them blue and silver with little difference to be honest (I tended to find the Blues lasted longer than the silvers but could be just me). They are well balanced, well made and generally allround good blades, and will be used by any level of fencer, begginer through to world champion. The only down side is that they vary greatly from batch to batch so while one of the blades might last you a year or more, another might not make it past a month. Flexibilty wise the same is true so go and choose a blade for your self rather than just ordering it by post.

Duellist VX Blades - these are the relatively new range of duellist weapons and are distinctly Russian. They are noticeably heavier than any of the above blades but well balanced, they are also alot more durable as a result. People have mixed views on these epees I've been using them for the past year and love them as do Tom Cadman and Nick Perry but a number of other people find them too unweildy or unforgiving. (they take a while to soften up properly and you have to have good technique to get them to flick well as unlike the bf or allstar blades you won't get away with just waggling them in the vague direction of your opponents wrist). After using them I've found I can't go back to the BF blades as they feel too lightweight. so overall a good choice but only if you like stiffer heavier blades and if your technique is relatively good if you want to flick.

Of course all the above is just my opinion and I am biast towards Duellistm, but out of your 4 options I would only seriously consider the BF blades or the Duellist ones.

Rdb811
-14th December 2003, 20:48
Originally posted by Chris Morgan
So your saying leon paul blades arent good for flicking?

Well I can't, but that may be just me. The vibration in a Leon Paul blade is odd as well (- see aao's comments- again, sorry Barry)

aao
-14th December 2003, 22:08
sorry forgot to mention the LP epee is very bad for flicking (using your wrist and fingers, not your whole arm!) due to its make up which means it doesn't bend in the right place making it very difficult to get the blade to whip.

Rdb811
-14th December 2003, 22:48
I'm glad it's not just me !!

NLSC Sabreur
-15th December 2003, 09:32
Originally posted by Rdb811
Well I can't, but that may be just me. The vibration in a Leon Paul blade is odd as well (- see aao's comments- again, sorry Barry)

I have an LP epee which felt good until you hit anything and then it would resonate as if it were some sort of very large tuning fork. Hit anything hard and the vibration in the blade would go on strongly for a good minute or two and made it very tiring to hold. I reset it and put a different guard and handle on it, the problem then stopped.

veeco
-17th December 2003, 12:03
Originally posted by Tarmac
and whats the difference between a super BF, super bf blue, eco, sm, sm blue or gold, sm-n and fs?!?
trouble is i live nowhere near a store and the only way i can get kit is off the net so any advice is greatly appreciated!

The BF blades are manufactured by the Blaise Freres forge in France, the FIE model (either blue or regular, more on that later) is one of the most used epee blades on the FIE circuit. It's the "Ferrari" of the epee blades.

The SM blades are also good blades, although IMO of a lower quality. They are made by a forge in the Ukraine, and tend to have a shorter lifespan than the BF ones, as they tend to get a little mushy after a while, and can get bad kinks in them.

ECO blades are non FIE blades, and their quality varies a lot. I wouldn't by them.

SM-N I am not sure what that is. I have heard of FS(N) blades which are FIE blades, but they are not made of maraging steel. I have never used them so I won't comment on them.

The difference between blue and regular blades is that they put some kind of coloring to differenciate between batches of blades for their flexibility. Usually the more flexible being the plain ones, then the gold ones, and the blue ones being the less flexible ones. This is for SM. For BF blades, you only get plain and blue.

plewis66
-18th December 2003, 11:43
A couple of weeks ago I came across a web site with downloadable PDF that gave quite a lot of information about some of these blades being talked about...and I can neither remember where it was, nor find it again.

Anyone have any idea where they might have been?

Also, I've just started fencing epee about two months ago. I have a standard (cheapest - didn't know how much I'd like it) non-maraging Leon Paul blade.

Given that cost is not too much of an issue, when would it be worth me thinking about a better quality blade?

aao
-18th December 2003, 14:39
immediately, is you had a allsatr, BF or Duellist blade I would say don't bother till you start competing (there are differences, see above, but not major ones), but the LP blades are imho so bad that changing to one of the pther more standard design, blades will make a rather large difference to how you fence. (I've been doing epee for a horrifically long time now and the LP vshaped epee blades are the only ones I flatly refuse to use (even if I have to borrow one) as I really can't get any of the usual feel or flexibility I can from the others.)

plewis66
-18th December 2003, 14:50
Thanks for that aao. I think I'll treat myself to a new blade for a new year.

Having had a wiring demonstration at the club the other night, I think I might even buy it bare, and give it a go!

kingkenny
-18th December 2003, 16:09
In my own hummble opinion the people who go on about the "feel" and "balance" of a blade are usually the ones who need excuses for lossing so often. :grin:
Now for the science bit:
If you use a pistol grip there is no such thing as balance as all the weight is in front of the hand so therefore the lighter the better.
:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

aao
-18th December 2003, 17:28
righttttt so most of the top (or even LP sponsored) fencers in the world don't use the LP blades because.........:rolleyes: (anyway I'm pretty sure I've never 'lossed' to anyone ;))

so according to your theory there is no difference to the feel between an LP blade and a more standard design blade apart from the weight???

kingkenny
-19th December 2003, 08:27
I think the "feel" is a word made up by old fuddy duddies who want fencing to stay "traditional" without any new technology or ideas breaking into the sport. I belive if I gave an average fencer 5 blades mounted identically and blindfolded them and they could whip it around as much as they like but not bend it on the floor they could not tell the difference between any of the bfs, lps, russian or even a sabre blade mounted like an epee. But what do I know. I have not been
"doing epee for a horrifically long time" as I am not that old. :grin:

Ps gav can this thread be added to the other one about epee blades? I dont know how to do it.

PPs aao I am only winding you up. :moon:

veeco
-19th December 2003, 11:40
Originally posted by Kingkenny
In my own hummble opinion the people who go on about the "feel" and "balance" of a blade are usually the ones who need excuses for lossing so often. :grin:
Now for the science bit:
If you use a pistol grip there is no such thing as balance as all the weight is in front of the hand so therefore the lighter the better.
:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Correction on the science bit:

You don't hold a pistol (or a french) grip with your whole hand, there are several areas of the grip that will be directly in contact with your hand (like forefinger and thumb), and other area that wont be all the time in contact with the grip, like other fingers. Coincidentaly, those fingers, as well as the rest of the grip, are behind the forefinger and the thumb. That's why balance is important. Because moving your point is about "balancing" your weapon around the point formed at the junction of your forefinger and thumb.

If your weapon is tip heavy it means the tip will go down faster than up, and that it will take more work to bring it up than down.

Of course if you are holding your weapon like a club then you definitely need a ligther one.

Rdb811
-19th December 2003, 12:04
Originally posted by Kingkenny
Now for the science bit:

Sorry, but this is complete rot.

kingkenny
-19th December 2003, 12:49
You don't hold a pistol (or a french) grip with your whole hand, there are several areas of the grip that will be directly in contact with your hand (like forefinger and thumb), and other area that wont be

Sorry I thought that pisstol grips were designed to give the most amount of positive contact between the hand and the handle giving you maximum control and grip.
Wait I am right. :cool:
With a pistol grip I thought that 90% of the control came from the wrist and not the fingers.
Wait I am right again lets go for three in a row. :)
The lighter a weapon the faster you can move
Again right see "Newton" for details.

I think some more mooning might be in order:

:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Dave Hillier
-19th December 2003, 13:27
umm Kingkenny do you actually fence epee?

Prometheus
-19th December 2003, 13:31
Surely you've heard of finger play Kingkenny?

That's what those protuberances on the end of your paws are for....and absolutely necessary for skillful fencing technique.....

Otherwise you end up like this::itchskrat

and not like this :fencingsm

No wonder Barry wants to revise coaching..........:rolleyes:

kingkenny
-19th December 2003, 13:33
No and I use a french grip to get the "balance" of my weapon "feeling" nice.
:grin:

Wait stop all posting at once:
yes finger play is great with a french grip but kind of :moon: with a pistol grip. But I am sure this is all very irelevent and should probably come under a differnt post:

King kenny mad man or miss understood genious
or
French grips do they give you a better balanced blade?

Prometheus
-19th December 2003, 13:49
and so the story ends children....with the naughty Kingkenny fleeing the field :dogs: after being viciously mauled by a bunch of marauding epeeists:gun:

:tongue:

kingkenny
-19th December 2003, 13:55
:iamstupid

Foil
:womping:
Epee and we all know it.

Prometheus
-19th December 2003, 14:00
Quite so - I'm a foilist........just couldn't help myself though.....:rambo:

kingkenny
-19th December 2003, 15:33
:mexwave:
for foil

aao
-19th December 2003, 18:43
bah a mere practice weapon ;) :moon:

kingkenny
-19th December 2003, 19:08
A weapon for practicing sword fighting rater than foot and hand poking. :grin:

MatFink
-22nd December 2003, 09:41
You know who this is, I would like to take your chalenge I guarantee I can pick out my blade of choice.

Also as an ex pommeler with some success I feel qualified to state that none of the finger play has been lost since my force return to an orthopedic grip, I just have a weapon thats several nches shorter.

The balance on the blade is the same as when I pommeled it just required a lot of work to get it right.

I won't even comment on fly fishing, oh sorry i mean foil.

Tarmac
-22nd December 2003, 12:11
ahh i can see that this kind of bickering is really gonna inspire me to buy certain types of blade - feel and balance... kinda important kk guess i'll try hungarian...

plewis66
-22nd December 2003, 16:41
Originally posted by plewis66
A couple of weeks ago I came across a web site with downloadable PDF that gave quite a lot of information about some of these blades being talked about...

Found it!

If anyone is interested, it is

http://212.58.67.69/zusatzdokumente/epeeblades.htm

Threestain
-5th January 2004, 12:21
Just to add my 2p to the thingie.

Personally I can't stand leon paul blades, but equally I know people who love them (the whole 50% thing).

I use either BFs or SMs. BF are "traditionally" the best, though due to high demand the quality control can be pretty ropey. They are also the most expensive. SM are very similiar but slightly more flexible (in general of course) and in my opinion last longer - they do tend to go out of shape more easily, but unlike BFs you can recover the situation, and this loss of shape does not weaken the blade to any noticeable extent.

VX blades are odd and I don't like them either - strange balance and lack of correct bending - they'll kink before they bend. (Plus my coach doesn't like them)

Finally FS blades - very hard to come buy, strange design but frankly the best. I happened to pick a couple up at Tauber last year (or year before) and they were very flexible very light but surprisingly resistant to breaking. (Hence why I can't remember which year). And for only €40!
Used to be an old Italian forge but I think Allstar has the name now, anyone know more?

In reply to Kenny, if you fence using the wrist then flicking is tricky. Also for any movement of the hand or wrist the contact area between the palmar surfaces of the fingers and hand and the grip changes. Veeco is correct over the fulcrum point. If your hand is firmly stuck to the grip you are holding the foil too hard and have the most flexible wrist known to man. Fingers are far more dextrous things than wrists

jamesthornton
-8th January 2004, 16:08
for a start leon paul blades are the only ones were you can get the same stiffness blade for definate everytime you buy one because they test them. also lightness does matter as i did reaction tests with different blades(which also measured accuracy of the hit) and scored higher with the lp blade and the whole vibration thing i think is when people just dont look after the weopions properly because i ahve been using lp blades for years and never once had the problem.

Rdb811
-8th January 2004, 23:05
All the LP ones (and I've tried a few) were those of seasoned epeeists.

The Duellist non-maraging I've seen this week were both good. (me the night and the grub screws coming up).

Threestain
-9th January 2004, 11:06
the fact that you should test blades before you buy them anyway means that lp's testing is not a major concern. Besides, the balance of the blade is a concern to me - far too guard heavy, which limits point placement, and flick ability (something that the goluibitsky foil addresses).

plewis66
-9th January 2004, 12:00
Testing before buying is fine for those who live near a supplier, or can wait for a competition to come within striking distance.

For me, to try before I buy would treble the cost of the blade.

Whilst I'm here, what on earth does 'me the night and the grub screws coming up' mean?

aao
-9th January 2004, 13:26
well you've had a pretty balanced view of all the major offerings out there (despite the fact that 3 of the contributors are affiliated to 3 of the main manufacturers in some way), I've said it before and I'll say it again I would vbe happy to reccomend any of the epees to somebody looking to buy with the sole exception of the LP blades as they are just too different to the normal.

plewis66
-9th January 2004, 13:33
I've bought one of the BF blades from LP, so I'll see how that goes.

Thanks everyone.

MatFink
-9th January 2004, 13:40
I have found over the years, that I have fenced with nearly all of the blade types discussed.
The key thing I have learned is that everyone fences differently and as such we all set up our weapons to our own needs.

For example Jamie (hope you don't mind me siting you as an example) fencing with minimum blade contact, pommelling with an ultra light handle. This means that a) the balance of his weapons is further forward than many of us realise and because he doesn't 'flick' the bend characteristic is less important than the weight. The lower overall weight allows him greater speed of movement.

On the other had I used an orthopedic grip, but chose a BF blade (the multicoloured one is my preference) with a leon paul light weight guard. This also puts the weight a long way forward and as I parry and flick quite a lot the heavier blade with a bend later in the blade is a big plus. I also find that this are more consistant, but that is me and I am sure other people have found a good match with different set ups.

My advise is to try as many sets, blades and handles as you can when you are still developing. Get help from your coach, also ask senior fencers if you can look at their weapons, most will oblige. The two experiences that changed my mind most were holding one of Quentin Berrimans blades and thinking wow it feels like its fencing for me because the balance was so good, and hold one of Pavel Kolobkov's weapons and just thinking that guy has a weird set and I don't like the blade much (of course he had just one an olympics with it so what do I know.

I hope everyone finds the blade their happiest with, for me my new weapon of preference is the leon paul plastic ones that bleep. We have had hours of fun with those.

Rdb811
-9th January 2004, 19:05
Originally posted by plewis66

Whilst I'm here, what on earth does 'me the night and the grub screws coming up' mean?

Unscrew tip.

Drop grub screw.

Search for grub screw on carpet.

Give up.

Find spares.

Realise they are the wrong sort for that weapon.

Find otehr spares.

Drop a couple.

Search on carpet.

Twiddle with spring.

Put weapon back together.

Test with weights and gauge.

realise it's not right.

Unscrew.

Drop grub screw.

ETce etc.

shandydann
-28th January 2004, 10:44
Know what you mean about the grub screws, our armourer is bringing a magnet next time. He has one for his work that is powerful apparently.

Cvillefencer
-12th February 2004, 14:48
I have been a fan of the BF blades for a while, but I recently got one of the LP blades as a winter present day gift and I have been rather happy with it. I tried it with my standard Uhlmann German visconti grip and that was not quite right so I got a Zivkovic B grip and stuck an ultralight guard on it. The very heavy grip, ultra-light guard, and the LP blade have made it a very pointable blade and for my style it has become a tie with my BF. They are the two blades I drag to the strip anyway.

I will say that it is very hard to do a normal flick to the wrist, so if I am fighting someone I need that particular trick to beat I will bring my Vniti or my BF. It was also a pain to wire the LP but if you got it wired and played with the grips and guards to get the proper feel I think you can have a very solid weapon. Once this one goes, as long as it lasts another couple of moonths, I would definetly buy another one.

As to dropping grub screws, if they are tip screws and they are metallic, I would suggest brushing/beating your screwdriver against your allen wrench vigorously for about 30 seconds before doing any work with small screws. Works for me anyway.

Rdb811
-13th February 2004, 00:29
Originally posted by Cvillefencer
I got a Zivkovic B grip and stuck an ultralight guard on it. The very heavy grip, ultra-light guard, and the LP blade have made it a very pointable blade and for my style it has become a tie with my BF. They are the two blades I drag to the strip anyway.

I will say that it is very hard to do a normal flick to the wrist, so if I am fighting someone I need that particular trick to beat I will bring my Vniti or my BF.

The first set up is like the one I'm going for (LP guard, Zivkovic G)) on my all - star.

I have an SN now as well- can't really flick with it - possibly due to new blade. (Having sdid that I can;t flick with my BF at the moment).

Insipiens
-16th February 2004, 12:05
Originally posted by Cvillefencer
I recently got one of the LP blades as a winter present day gift

What the ... is "winter present day"?

Cvillefencer
-16th February 2004, 14:01
:) Neither myself nor my significant other are Christian, but we both usually wind up getting and receiving gifts around the Xmas/Chaunukka timeframe. It kind of started off as a joke in her family which is half Jewish and half Christian with the odd Buddhist thrown in. Instead of keeping the holiday names straight they just all agreed that the 24th of December is Winter Present Day so everyone has dinner and exchanges gifts. I guess it would be a bit confusing without the backstory! Sorry for that.

Barry Paul
-17th February 2004, 16:49
Aao, 85% to 90% of all U.K. fencers use our lightweight epee blades in the U.K. that seems pretty normal to me. When we first bought them out we offered traditional carbon steel blades but because the new blades were lighter and lasted 3 to 5 times longer than the normal carbon steel epee blades and were made to the correct stiffness for the size, we eventually dropped the traditional carbon steel epee blade due to the lack of sales/demand.

As for other comments more to follow. Barry Paul M.D. Leon Paul.

Dalby
-19th February 2004, 18:13
Back when God was a lad I bought one of the first Leon Paul light weight epée blades & can report that it's still alive and well & occassionally gets used.

I think the main reason for its longevity is that the first time I used it the vibration felt so unpleasant that I immediately swapped back to the cheap, mangled blade it had been intended to replace. Since then I've only ever used it as a back up for when all else fails.

Cvillefencer
-19th February 2004, 18:34
I have been accused of being a gorilla-armed monster and I do not necessarily say this is and unfair comment :) but I have never noticed any strange vibrations in the LP blade. I like to use very solid seeding parries and pries de fuer attacks when I am doing anything more complicated than beats or disengages with footwork to set up my hits. Maybe it is just something about the way I fence or the way I have the blade set up that keeps it from happening but I may not be understanding what some of you mean by vibrations also.

I have an FIE Vniti epee that I practice with as it is very heavy and seems to build up good arm strength (it is also the most flexible FIE blade I have ever seen for an epee!). When I first started using it it would often feel like something was "loose" or just not quite right even after I made sure that everything was super tight. Is it something like this that you mean? I finally fixed the problem by using a heavier grip and a different guard with a big fat leather cushion and it sorted the problem out nicely.

As a side note does anyone have any experiance with the non-maraging FIE FS blades from Uhlmann? I haveheard about them but have not gotten to play with one.

pinkelephant
-20th February 2004, 11:01
I've had a couple of experiences with resonance of the weapon on the beat (which I guess is what you mean by vibration). It's the same phenomenon as bridges resonating if an army marches over them at the correct frequency - hence the instruction to break step when crossing suspension bridges. It's usually cured by swapping guards, handles and blades around until the combination no longer resonates. If you buy a new epee in person and you find this happening, the guys behind the stall will be happy to swap things around for you - there was a batch of blades about 3 years ago that were particularly prone to it, but I've had no problems since.

I think the light weight blades are wonderful - I'm sure I wouldn't be able to fence epee without them as I had a bad bout of tennis elbow a few years ago.

Barry Paul
-20th February 2004, 18:53
Like to do some measurements on blades which different fencers think are the best. So I am after broken blades from the top fencers which they think were the best (before they Broke) I can then do some measuring and weighing. Can you let me have them any time or at one of the opens? Barry Paul

DangerMouse
-9th March 2004, 21:10
Barry,

did you recently (past 2 years) change the design of your epee blades? I used to love them and have been using them exclusively for the past 5-6 years, but the recent batches I've had don't last as long. They used to last me around 3 years of regular use, but are now down to less than a year.

It appears that you changed the angle of the V near the tip to be flatter. I've found that the recent blades I've bought have had tendency to kink about 1/4 - 1/5 of the way down the blade.

After using nothing else for so long, I've been considering trying other blades.

wingnutLP
-11th May 2004, 10:40
Based on the feedback from the post above we found that the die for the press had worn in the 10 years or so since we started making the blades. Thankyou for pointing this out, the change was so gradual that we hadn't noticed.

The die has now been replaced and the blades now have a more acute angle on them all the way to the tip.

Australian
-11th May 2004, 15:10
Originally posted by wingnut
Based on the feedback from the post above we found that the die for the press had worn in the 10 years or so since we started making the blades. Thankyou for pointing this out, the change was so gradual that we hadn't noticed.

The die has now been replaced and the blades now have a more acute angle on them all the way to the tip.

woah, now isn't that cool :)

does that mean you'll replace the epee i bought 2 months ago? ;) :tongue:

wingnutLP
-12th May 2004, 07:36
Afraid not! We changed the press a fair bit back but I only found this thread yesterday.

Even at their worst they were still lasting better than other manufacturers blades!

oddball
-12th May 2004, 11:30
Originally posted by Barry Paul
Aao, 85% to 90% of all U.K. fencers use our lightweight epee blades in the U.K. that seems pretty normal to me. When we first bought them out we offered traditional carbon steel blades but because the new blades were lighter and lasted 3 to 5 times longer than the normal carbon steel epee blades and were made to the correct stiffness for the size, we eventually dropped the traditional carbon steel epee blade due to the lack of sales/demand.

As for other comments more to follow. Barry Paul M.D. Leon Paul.

When were they brought out Barry?

oddball
-12th May 2004, 11:31
Originally posted by wingnut
Even at their worst they were still lasting better than other manufacturers blades!

Hmmm, mark of quality?

TBennett
-12th May 2004, 19:27
I am a user of the LP lightweight blades and have started to use the BF occasionally (when i break a LP blade usually - i.e. not often..)

To be honest, i like to flick..lots and the LP blades are ideal for this and in my opinion, more so than the BF blades generally. btw people may think i am talking crap here but hey...

the LP blades curve at the right place and with the addition of a lightweight guard too i have found my epees to be much lighter than other epees. this also means that i can fence for longer without my arm hurting as much.

One thing i will say is that sometimes the blade is too flat at the end making the wires vulnerable to eing cut if i go for under-guard hits too much.. thats why i usually check the groove at the end before buying a blade..

Rdb811
-12th May 2004, 23:09
Chacun a son gout.

I now find I can flick even less with my BF Blue than my lightweight LP - Gold Allstar S&M (awaits reply from teh usual suspects) is now my weapon of choice.

Neo
-12th May 2004, 23:30
Originally posted by Dalby
Back when God was a lad

What if god's a woman!

Neo
-12th May 2004, 23:35
Originally posted by Rdb811
Chacun a son gout.

I now find I can flick even less with my BF Blue than my lightweight LP - Gold Allstar S&M (awaits reply from teh usual suspects) is now my weapon of choice.

S&M? sounds kinky!

Rdb811
-12th May 2004, 23:50
It's the usual suspect.

Neo
-13th May 2004, 00:05
Well I didn't want to disappoint!

I mean I've heard of paying for S&M but.... :tongue:

wingnutLP
-13th May 2004, 09:23
Originally posted by Hellphire

One thing i will say is that sometimes the blade is too flat at the end making the wires vulnerable to eing cut if i go for under-guard hits too much.. thats why i usually check the groove at the end before buying a blade..

This issue has been resolved on the basis of previous comments on this thread.

TBennett
-13th May 2004, 09:33
well, that obviously shows that i havent had the need to buy a blade for a while (dont break). keep up the good work!!

My blades usually last around a year (unless i throw a tantrum - people who have seen this tell me its quite funny. i personally think Alp throws better tantrums than me...) which i think is quite good..

pinkelephant
-13th May 2004, 11:12
Throwing a tantrum is one thing. Throwing a weapon/mask, now............................

aao
-13th May 2004, 11:33
Originally posted by Hellphire
unless i throw a tantrum - people who have seen this tell me its quite funny. i personally think Alp throws better tantrums than me...)

I have years of experience on you on the tantrum front ;)

TBennett
-13th May 2004, 12:58
thats not a good thing right??? i think i have only really started throwing tantrums in the last year but i dont damage my equipment tho. parents dont like that so hitting a wall or shouting at myself is the usual remedy for doing smething stupid...

btw self-harm isnt a good thing for anyone young and reading this.. i assume most adults know this fact already...

pinkelephant
-14th May 2004, 07:32
Swearing at one's mother is another option. Funny how it's always the parent's fault.

oddball
-14th May 2004, 07:38
Swearing at someone elses mother is not a good idea!!!!! (no, I havent done it!!)

TBennett
-14th May 2004, 17:06
Not a good idea usually no... lol i can sorta sympathise with it tho coz many a time have i seen a (young usually) fencer do a bad hit (myself included) and turn around to see their parent with their head in their hands or generally cringing.

Now the fact that you are annoyed with yourself makes you slightly angry but seeing your parent cringing is going to make the fencer mad. i confess to having told parents to go away (slightly less well put however :o ) in the past...

lol

oddball
-14th May 2004, 19:22
Originally posted by oddball
Swearing at someone elses mother is not a good idea!!!!!

Especially if she is also fencing and is your next match....

oddball
-14th May 2004, 19:23
Quoting yourself, how sad!

Neo
-14th May 2004, 20:47
Originally posted by pinkelephant
Swearing at one's mother is another option. Funny how it's always the parent's fault.

tis! :grin:

TBennett
-15th May 2004, 10:33
lol at least it helps explain wat u r saying....

but yeah.... hmm :silly:

jamie
-28th May 2004, 17:24
Originally posted by aao
sorry forgot to mention the LP epee is very bad for flicking (using your wrist and fingers, not your whole arm!) due to its make up which means it doesn't bend in the right place making it very difficult to get the blade to whip.

I think that the LP epee's are great for flicking. I havent used a blade better yet that flicks better.

Emily Pringle
-30th June 2005, 10:15
:fencingsm
Bendy or stiff - the epee of course - discuss

I have now been in pocession of a maraging epee for 6 months. I bought it mail order and therefore I had no opportunity to handle it first. Some how I expected a lightweight flexi blade - instead I got a heavy but beautifully balanced job. I suppose light weight blades come premium priced. I got my epee from Deullist (sorry Mr. Paul) and it was from a new foundry, SMP I think.

Was I disappointed? - Not a bit of it. I am now finding that when I hit a glancing blow, with the bend going away from my opponent's body, the blade only deflects very little, providing sufficient friction and side thrust to enable a point to be scored. Before you cry foul, the weapon has been checked for legality, weights, feelers - the lot - very recently - in competition. I think the straighter blade also give one a marginal distance advantage and with pommelling quite an advantage.

I have noted too, that I get points against opponent's masks where they often appear to get good hits - but they don't score. The flickers amongst you often attack my hand and forearm but although hitting me - rarely manage to score from such a tactic. All they succeed in doing is to annoy me and sting me into increasing my will to win.

Finally, with my blade, I never need to endless bend my blade between points - which achieves very little apart from drawing my attention to the sometimes poor condition my opponent's blade!

Bye for now, may see some of you at the Cambridge Open Air. Watch out - I am on a roll. (That is Cambridge ENGLAND folks!)

Emily