PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles

hayleyjade
-13th December 2003, 17:29
I have a bit of a dilema, during fencing i have a problem with my hair, as it is quite long, but i cannot find a hairstyle that allows me to get my mask on and off easily, as a pony tail gets in the way, and i wondered if anyone had a tried and tested hairdo?

i normally just wear my hair down, but it covers my shoulders, and thus becomes a target! and im waiting for the time someone yanks my hair out, ouch!

and before you suggest, im not cutting my hair! its taken me years to get it no a good length that i like!

hayleyjade
-13th December 2003, 17:37
oooops, yes i know i have posted this in the worng section, it should really be in off piste, but im stupid! sorry!

but you can still reply!

Gav
-15th December 2003, 09:20
I have very long hair!

Just put it back in a pony tail.

Cheetara
-15th December 2003, 11:49
low ponytail

Boo Boo
-15th December 2003, 11:58
Most of the women foil fencers, with long hair, that I know tend to have it up in a pony tail or plait, then they wind that up in a sort of knot/bun (to keep the pony tail/plait out of the way of the lame jacket).

I have a short sort of bob (okay, its probably just more of a "mess") and have to wear a hair band to keep it out of my eyes :(

Boo

doobarz
-15th December 2003, 12:03
Bunches either side of the back of your mask seem to work quite well, or pony tails.

srb
-15th December 2003, 13:29
Originally posted by hayleyjade
I have a bit of a dilema, during fencing i have a problem with my hair,

I have a bit of a dilema too, during fencing I also have a problem with my hair - there's seems to be less and less of it every time I fence!!!

srb

twohappyhippos
-15th December 2003, 13:35
wow someone else with the same problem!!! seriously sometimes i just want to like shave it all off!!! just like plait it and put it up, otherwise a kinda of screwy uppy thingy normally works!

twohappyhippos
-15th December 2003, 13:42
i meant with long hair......not with losing hair.....:glamour: hehe if only my hair looked like that!!!

hayleyjade
-15th December 2003, 14:46
yey! thankyou! i will have to try it! and il have to be careful not to pull all my hair out when i take my mask off! then its a mess!

aww bless bout losing hair! (thats my phrase at the moment!)

Mantis
-15th December 2003, 17:11
aww bless bout losing hair! (thats my phrase at the moment!)

You know a lot of people going bald at the moment, then? :grin:

hayleyjade
-15th December 2003, 18:03
Originally posted by Mantis
You know a lot of people going bald at the moment, then? :grin:

um no i don't, but i just use the phrase a lot!

ceprab
-16th December 2003, 07:59
um no i don't, but i just use the phrase a lot!

Doesn't that make people paranoid though?

hayleyjade
-16th December 2003, 14:44
Originally posted by ceprab
Doesn't that make people paranoid though?

yes it does, im sorry! i should really stop using it! sorry m8!

Aoife
-19th December 2003, 21:29
I have hair a few inches below my shoulders. When I'm fighting at the club I just tuck it behind my ears, and if my mask's fitting properly then it stays there.

When I did the S.E. Regionals though, I tied it in a low pony-tale, partly to make sure it stayed out of my eyes, partly so it wasn't covering target area. Naturally, as I have fine hair (damn fine hair!) it came loose every bout, so I tended to take it out at the end and do it up again. Seemed to work for the hour or so I was there.

:shrug:

Rdb811
-19th December 2003, 23:44
beware of having your pony tail swing round and hit you in the eye when you put your mask on (as happens to a friend of mine - me, I'm forced into a 4/2)

kitten
-23rd December 2003, 04:00
Bunches is the answer!! Don't be fooled by these low maintenance so called 'low ponytails' - every time you remove your mask your hair will fall out (not literally of course)- or fancy plaited buns - so time consuming!!! Bunches enable you to slip your mask on and off without any unwanted tangling or unnecessary snagging, whilst leaving your hair ventilated and stress-free. If the hair is long it can be easily tucked through the loop again, creating a kind of dog-ear effect. **WARNING: Beware of errant fencers (particularly male epeeists for some reason) attempting to steer you, having momentairly mistaken you for a motorbike**

Alternatively, get a mohican.

:grin:

hayleyjade
-23rd December 2003, 12:03
heh! Bunches it is then!

ok about the motorbike thing........ hehe!

maybe not going for a mohican though, seems a bit too drastic!

Moose
-24th December 2003, 01:10
I saw some guy with dreads all down his back fencing epee a while back, how he didnt get called up for it I'll never know...

Gav
-24th December 2003, 07:30
Originally posted by Moose
I saw some guy with dreads all down his back fencing epee a while back, how he didnt get called up for it I'll never know...

Why should he get called up for it?

Target area is entire body - including dreadlocks.

Moose
-24th December 2003, 14:26
Cos, because you cant get 750g of pressure against hair that moves around and there's a risk of getting your weapon caught in it, thus giving your opponent a nice open target.

He should at least have had to put it inside his jacket

tigger
-24th December 2003, 15:09
I think I know the epeeist being referred to, and believe me there would probably not be a jacket big enough to fit those dreads!

I had long hair til last year (sabreur BTW) and just tied it up. I reckon it's just girlies making a fuss about nowt....

hayleyjade
-24th December 2003, 18:23
I reckon it's just girlies making a fuss about nowt....

you mean about this whole thread? yeh tis kinda! i just wanted to know how everyone else managed their hair!

doobarz
-25th December 2003, 08:01
Originally posted by tigger
I had long hair til last year (sabreur BTW) and just tied it up. I reckon it's just girlies making a fuss about nowt....

And then you just cut it off, meaning we had to come up with a new nickname for you....

Aoife
-25th December 2003, 19:26
Awwww, one of our year sevens has lovely thick bouncy brown hair that comes down to her shoulders. As she's getting to the hot and sweaty stage of fencing (at last! I was beginning to think children under 14 didn't sweat!) it keeps getting in her eys and sticking across her forehead et cetera, so after ecery bout she whips of her mask and tosses her head, whipping her hair backward like a shampoo advert. It's such a giggle to watch :)

hayleyjade
-31st December 2003, 13:25
teehee! but she looks funny! litlle kids (or kids yunger than me always make me laugh, when they are not being annnoying!)

Moose
-1st January 2004, 04:14
Originally posted by tigger
I think I know the epeeist being referred to, and believe me there would probably not be a jacket big enough to fit those dreads!

Thats as it may be, but its still an issue. It's akin to wearing 17th century style baggy clothing so that you present a target where there's nothing to hit.

Maybe its just me, but I think the rules need tightening up on this issue.

symon
-1st January 2004, 13:14
I've got quite long hair myself and so i just do the David beckham thing and wear an alice band before i put on a mask

Aoife
-1st January 2004, 20:29
so i just do the David beckham thing and wear an alice band before i put on a mask

My younger brother's considering doing that soon as his hair's all over the fornt of his face. (He can nearly do the shampoo advert thing too!)

hayleyjade
-7th January 2004, 17:16
aww! how sweet!

katie
-8th January 2004, 11:32
A solution that works for me is to have a low pony tail (hairband and scrunchie for security) and then wear an alice band to keep any errant hairs away from my face. Only problem with this is when I put on my mask the alice band sometimes falls down leaving me blind (causes much amusement) and then when I take my mask off the alice band comes with it.

hayleyjade
-8th January 2004, 14:36
Originally posted by katie
A solution that works for me is to have a low pony tail (hairband and scrunchie for security) and then wear an alice band to keep any errant hairs away from my face. Only problem with this is when I put on my mask the alice band sometimes falls down leaving me blind (causes much amusement) and then when I take my mask off the alice band comes with it.

yeh thats the problem, mainly the point of this thread!

katie
-9th January 2004, 11:23
Sometimes I'll tuck it into the back of my jacket. Since my hair is very fine that doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Have to admit that I like the idea of my hair streaming out behind me as I charge down the piste. Of course this is more dream than reality (which is more of an enthusiastic start, swiftly followed by the painful realisation that I'm not fit enough to keep up the pace).

hayleyjade
-9th January 2004, 21:28
teehee! hair billowing! would look cool!

i have too long and thick hair to tuck it it the back of my jacket! o well, im fencing again tommorrow ill try the pigtails! couldnt do it last week, 4 some stupid reason i decided to curl my hair (?) and well, it was too unruly to do much with!

teehee!

uk_45
-11th January 2004, 14:07
Hmm u in Pig tails cute:tongue: :confused:

As a few people know i have rather long hair for a guy and i tend to wear a pony tail and put up with any lose flyers.

hayleyjade
-13th January 2004, 19:50
Originally posted by uk_45
Hmm u in Pig tails cute:tongue: :confused:

oi! shurrit u!

uk_45
-13th January 2004, 21:41
Make me!!!

I've just got back from fencing, i know this due to my bleeding finger, and if ure mask is a good fit u can just where your hair back and it not get to much in the way.

DrT
-14th January 2004, 14:32
Originally posted by Aoife
I have hair a few inches below my shoulders.

Mmm, the European look? ;)

hayleyjade
-14th January 2004, 14:57
Make me!!!

I've just got back from fencing, i know this due to my bleeding finger, and if ure mask is a good fit u can just where your hair back and it not get to much in the way.

ill have to try it, i just tend to get my hair covering my shoulders, and it doesnt like being tamed, its a law unto itself!

uk_45
-14th January 2004, 20:45
Yeah thats fine for steam fencing problem is eltric that a it can basically result in a dead spot and you could be desquilfied.

Aoife
-14th January 2004, 20:58
Mmm, the European look?

You know what makes me really dense- it took me time to figure that one out! I sat there for a few seconds thinking "I hadn't noticed a particular European haircut." and had to read over my own statement a few times. Doh!

hayleyjade
-14th January 2004, 21:13
dont worry, im denser than you, proven fact!

oddball
-15th January 2004, 10:31
You could stick your hair under yer chin and pretend its a beard:grin:

Or you could just plaster it to your head with brylcreem :dizzy:

nah im kiddin, when my hair was long i just plaited it and stuck it down da back of my jacket.

Moose
-15th January 2004, 13:26
You could always wear your hair high and back, that lets girls with long hair fit it all under an army beret, my gf's hair comes nearly down to her arse and it all fits :)

Moose
You could always wear your hair high and tight, that lets girls with long hair fit it all under an army beret, my gf's hair comes nearly down to her arse and it all fits :)

Moose
You could always wear your hair high and back, that lets girls with long hair fit it all under an army beret, my gf's hair comes nearly down to her arse and it all fits :)

Rdb811
-15th January 2004, 23:52
No wonder your number of posts keeps shooting up.

Moose
-16th January 2004, 06:22
Not shooting up, creeping up at a steady pace :)

Rdb811
-16th January 2004, 10:08
Like the stuff on my neighbours fence ?

Moose
-16th January 2004, 14:06
That's the one, I'm like some kind of ivy :)

uk_45
-16th January 2004, 16:21
What green and thick?

hayleyjade
-16th January 2004, 18:45
oooo, biting!

uk_45
-16th January 2004, 21:44
yeah that to

Moose
-17th January 2004, 02:59
What green and thick?

LOL, I'll remember that next time I come to your club :tongue:

Rdb811
-17th January 2004, 16:47
He's tied a knot in his hankerchief.

uk_45
-17th January 2004, 16:58
Any idea when you'll be down next???????

hayleyjade
-31st January 2004, 17:24
evidently no time soon, or maybe he doesnt want 2 tlk 2 u:tongue:

or he is playing the element of suprise!

uk_45
-31st January 2004, 17:29
Well i broke his last blade (kinda) so he's proberbly scared!

hayleyjade
-1st February 2004, 14:13
evidently (my dear watson)
yes i know its elementary my dear watson, even tho apparetnly the dude never said that...... anyway i am going round the houses AGAIN!!!!!

I_am_the_taco
-27th July 2012, 22:38
I have really long hair, as in to my butt, so I put it into a high ponytail and thread it halfway thru the strap of the mask, so that the ponytail is folded in half with the strap pinning it in place. It will usually stay put if you're bouncing for 5-8 touches, but if you move more than that you may have more issues with keeping it in place.
Hope that was helpful :)

sassy fencer
-28th July 2012, 00:08
This is the nicest solution -but it takes extra time: the french braid.
You begin by plaiting a small amount of hair at the top of the head and then just add hair to the 3 existing bunches. When you have finished the plait you turn the tail inwards and safe it with some hair pins. Totally worth it if you are taking part in comps, looks classy :)

Miacat
-28th July 2012, 16:01
Nice sassy fencer!

In France if you fence in a competition you are not allowed to have hair "down" or anywhere it can block a touch. Girls (or guys) with long hair are sometimes told by the ref to tie it up and keep it out the way, or the opponent can request they do so before a match starts. I know there is a rule in the French federation regarding long hair and stating it cannot block any area stopping a hit.

n_freebody
-29th July 2012, 21:46
Nice sassy fencer!

In France if you fence in a competition you are not allowed to have hair "down" or anywhere it can block a touch. Girls (or guys) with long hair are sometimes told by the ref to tie it up and keep it out the way, or the opponent can request they do so before a match starts. I know there is a rule in the French federation regarding long hair and stating it cannot block any area stopping a hit.

that's not just France.... its an FIE rule. There are however no rules about bleaching god save the queen into the back of your head as an Italian fencer demonstrated today