PDA

View Full Version : My increasing frustration....

doobarz
-15th December 2003, 07:59
As the threads get more and more technical, particularly with regards refereeing, it is become increasingly frustrating not knowing who people are ie are they referees? International fencers? People who have just read the rules? People who have never read the rules?

I know who some people are (even some people who I have never met in person...) and whilst I wouldn't mind telling people who don't know who I am who I am if they had a good reason, I wouldn't want to post it up for all to see...

A tricky problem.

Gav
-15th December 2003, 08:03
Bulletin boards are, by their nature, magnets for peoples opinion. Informed or not, members have a right to state their views.

Is there a particular thread that you are heaping your derision on?

doobarz
-15th December 2003, 08:19
No, nor even any particular identities. Sometimes it would just be nice to know who is an FIE Referee talking about priority, and who is a club fencer....

doobarz
-15th December 2003, 08:26
Originally posted by Gav
Informed or not, members have a right to state their views.

This of course I understand, and would agree with.

ceprab
-15th December 2003, 10:31
OK, seeing as I am opinionated and often post my opinions on the rules, I will ease your frustration with my qualifications and experience:

Qualifications: none.

Experience: been fencing at Uni for 6 years, seen lots of variable refereeing, decided to read the rules (from this site and the french FIE rules with the aid of a GCSE and a dictionary (my French is better than you might expect from an 8 year old GCSE - ouch, hurts to think it was that long ago). My presiding generally gets fewer bricks thrown at me than most, but I don't guarantee to be right (sent an apology to Swansea earlier this year for being particularly dumb on a sabre PIL question where I refused to let go of the wrong end of the stick, and had to refer to the rules to clear it up afterwards).

Outside uni: a couple of small opens and being creamed at the Bristol.

Personal weapon: epee.

General bias: I interpret 'threaten target' and 'straightening' in what could be a 'classical' way. If someone advances with the point aimed at the ceiling they will get preparation given against them. I like rules, and if the rules say things happen a certain way then that is the route I will follow, and to hell with evolution of the game. I don't disallow all flicks, as they can be delivered as simple direct or compound attacks from a threatening position.

Boo Boo
-15th December 2003, 11:39
Maybe the FIE qualified refs could add a note to that affect to their profiles... (I think some of them do, already)? That might help.

With most forum members, you can work out a lot by reading their profiles (especially the ones that give websites) and reading their posts. Although this is not always true...

Discussing "interpreatations" of fencing moves on a forum is always difficult: you need to see what is going on. Often less experienced fencers can't apply the rules (even if they know them) because they don't see the timing of what the fencers are doing.... Since people sometimes get the wrong end of the stick on forums, I just take some opinions with a pinch of salt :)

Boo

Robert
-15th December 2003, 11:57
Originally posted by doobarz
No, nor even any particular identities. Sometimes it would just be nice to know who is an FIE Referee talking about priority, and who is a club fencer....

Since I am on some of the threads you are discussing, I thought like ceprab a response would be appropriate. I am a club fencer of a mediocre standard with no qualifications.

I think it is fairly clear in most cases what level someone is at, even when you are not sure who they are.

Robert

doobarz
-15th December 2003, 12:01
Originally posted by Robert
I think it is fairly clear in most cases what level someone is at, even when you are not sure who they are.

Robert

Sometimes, but not always. Thanks for the info.

doobarz
-15th December 2003, 12:02
I suppose I should own up to the following...

I started fencing at university, hold the BFA Club Leaders award and am a Level 3 BFA Sabre Ref.

randomsabreur
-15th December 2003, 14:40
Doobarz at least knows who I am, but for those who haven't yet twigged:

Started fencing about 11 years ago, but started doing competitions during my U6 year at school
BAF Intermediate Sabre and Basic foil (don't ask me how)
BFA level 3 sabre ref, competence depends on if I'm fencing in that pool and if I have had any sleep/ anything to drink the night before.

Tihon
-15th December 2003, 15:00
To contribute a little bit. I've been fencing for a year & a half now, did a few times referreing in the hall but NEVER on a tournament. Not because nobody ofered it to me, but because I didn't want to. I would hate if someone would scream in my face that I have no clue about fencing, although epee isn't so hard to judge. But they would be right in a way so I just preferr to stay out of it untill I gain some results, experience & reputation.

cheers

Tihon

gladiator
-16th December 2003, 10:17
Originally posted by doobarz
and am a Level 3 BFA Sabre Ref.

And a very good one at that!

I have recently restarted fencing at uni after about 5 years off injured, refereeing instead, and am desparately trying to get back upto previous standards. Oh, I'm a sabreur by the way. I am qualified as a grade 1 epee ref and grade something sabre ref (2 I think?) And can regularly be found reffing around the country, generally sabre these days, but not so much this year as have too much work in 3rd year at uni!

Anyone who knows me, that should be enough for you!

Jambo
-16th December 2003, 10:25
You could always put a qualifications thing in the profile to be filled in if people want to, bit geeky but.....

A lot of the people on the forum are relatively inexperienced and this does seem to cause problems occasionally. Having had experience of small club refing this weekend (no offence meant, but I was one of only two sabreurs who knew what was going on) since being used to Laszlo's I've realised how much I take for granted.

hayleyjade
-24th December 2003, 18:27
Having had experience of small club refing this weekend

soz for interjecting, feeling an OI! from me necessary from me here!

i spotted your points, jus cos my bro didnt means nothing.....:rolleyes: hehe!

yes reffing my small club is a bit hit and miss, i have noticed this, many points i have got have not been spotted, and also the whats-he-called (dude that makes the final decision? help someone?!) never knows how many points people have scored! i lost gracfully but the dude ^ thought i hadnt lost and i was winning!?!?!?! interesting.....

Jambo
-24th December 2003, 22:56
I wasnt talking about your club! Mike gave me points that probably wouldnt have come up on electric (I learnt to fence with him and am not half as good on electric kit as a result) so no complaints there.

tigger
-24th December 2003, 23:25
Sabreur, been fencing 15 years...ouch.

On the open circuit I've done a fair bit of reffing. Have no reffing qualifications and desire none, but don't normally get argued with cos i just ignore em and get on with it.

I'm really not scared to card people, or give hits against 'better' fencers, which I think is half the problem in open tournament reffing.

hayleyjade
-26th December 2003, 16:43
Originally posted by Jambo
I wasnt talking about your club! Mike gave me points that probably wouldnt have come up on electric (I learnt to fence with him and am not half as good on electric kit as a result) so no complaints there.

ah! gdgd i jus like shouting oi!