PDA

View Full Version : Training and fitness

rory
-30th April 2003, 11:22
Hi guys. We've kinda covered the "how often do you train" question in another thread, but I'm more interested in *how* we train.

Who's running/cycling/swimming/doing weights, how often, and with what goals in mind? And is it making/has it made a difference?

And who out there puts in any footwork practice outside of club nights? (for the dedicated amongst us)

I'd like to hear from any coaches who have suggestions too (haggis?).

Arturo
-30th April 2003, 16:13
Have been doing a lot of weights recently, and to be honest I think it's been slowing me down. Always had a foot faster than hand problem, but recently it's been of epic proportions (as you well know ;) ).

Several of the GWE beginners have been meeting in the gym to practice, and doing crazy things like footwork at home at 10 in the evening.

When I was pretending to myself I was going to start training, I did a lot of fitness work geared toward fencing. Eg, when I was running I would do one minute normal pace, one minute flat out for 20-30 minutes to build up stamina and recovery. That seemed to work quite well. It was just a shame I neglected to actually practice fencing.

Ever tried doing footwork on a treadmill? I wouldn't advise it...

haggis
-30th April 2003, 16:21
Footwork on a treadmill? How long did those bruises take to clear up?:eek:

Arturo
-30th April 2003, 16:24
Heh, heh. Wasn't my best idea. I was bored with running, so decided to see how long/ fast I could go on the treadmill. Had the gym to myself, so didn't draw any funny looks, but did nearly break my neck. At least, being a fencer, my desperate lunge for the stop button hit the mark.

reposte
-30th April 2003, 17:01
Does anyone know of a link to some web page with info on physical education specifically for fencers?
Something we can use , not general characteristics.

What do they mean when they say "a strong fencer"?
My coach told me the the late Smirnov was a "strong fencer". what does it mean?
I take it it means something more pertaining to arm work rather than leg work,but isn't force a bad thing in fencing?
The harder you feel your opponent tries to lock your blade the fainter you need to make your blade and run it under his, no?
I guess it's like Judo, when hey tell you when you're little that it's all about using your opponents strength against him
and at the Olympics you always see that the gold medalist is the biggest and strongest judoka in the lot... ;)

Muso440
-30th April 2003, 18:11
Originally posted by rory
Hi guys. We've kinda covered the "how often do you train" question in another thread

We did? Did I miss that one? Or do you mean the thread when I asked how often people practice fencing? (To which I didn't get that many replies, actually...:( ) If you mean another one, where was it, please?!

Mischa
-30th April 2003, 19:28
I play table tennis, and go running when I can be bothered (I try to do it 2x a week).

Muso, to find your post why don't you click on the search button? To find that mystical button I recommend using eyes.

(C) J Picking.

aao
-30th April 2003, 22:39
to find out what they mean by a strong fencer try fencing any of the German senior epee team! when these guys beat your blade you know about it, nothing much to do with physical strength more to do with technique and having strong wrists (I will not speculate on how one should train for this!)

A strong fencer at least at the higher levels is one who aims to create an opening through strong beats and parries. At lower levels it seems to refer especially to some of the older fencers who aim to score a hit by removing your rib cage.

Gav
-1st May 2003, 05:57
On the RCP website there is a link to a Fitness training site. There's a lot of information on it. Some will be useful some not. Take a look. Incidentally we don't take any responsibility if you do anything daft (like footwork on a treadmill).

i'm kinda off the non-fencing training at the moment. I used to lift weights. The secret is to lift small weights a lot that way you are bulding endurance rather than bulk.

Homer
-1st May 2003, 06:24
In terms of cardio vascular fitness you need to train in two different ways (the proportions of which will vary depending on which weapon you fence).
Everyone needs to do there base endurance (eg 20 min on the treadmill flat pace) this will build up your VO2 and effectivly your stamina.
Next you need to train the same systems you need while fencing.
Interval training is good but make it specific eg for Sabre there's no point doing 1 min flat out 1 min easy because each hit lasts nowhere near 1 min. Try 15 sec flat out, 45 sec recovery (1:3 ratio is the key). This will train your explosive nature and also your bodies ability to recover (inbetween hits)

In terms of weights Plyometrics are very good: they also train the explosive power of your muscles (without putting on too much bulk). Any weight training done must be explosive, not slow and controlled or you are training your muscles to be slow and controlled. Again remember that 1:3 ratio: for example with a squat, squat up fast and then lower yourself down so that it takes 3 times longer than your your up phase.

Hope this helps

aao
-1st May 2003, 15:20
Well you could try the above or you could pop down to the pub for a few quick bevvies instead......

I mean who are you going to believe a sabreur called Homer or a weilder of the true technical weapon epee.......

p.s it must be said that I only originally chose epee because it was the only weapon where I was guarnteed to hit something no matter how drunk!