PDA

View Full Version : I want to improve my coaching at foil, not interested in epee or sabre what courses

Barry Paul
-16th December 2003, 18:24
can I take?

I am not interested in any other weapon. I don't have time to go to Hungary to do a three weapon course. I want to coach at my local club I need help try and improve but it seems that there are now no weekend courses or qualifications I can take. Please will some one advise? Barry Paul

pinkelephant
-17th December 2003, 13:21
Originally posted by Barry Paul
can I take?

I am not interested in any other weapon. I don't have time to go to Hungary to do a three weapon course. I want to coach at my local club I need help try and improve but it seems that there are now no weekend courses or qualifications I can take. Please will some one advise? Barry Paul

I seem to remember you were a pretty damn good foil coach when you played at it ********* years ago when Vic Lagnado was ill. Just do it!

srb
-17th December 2003, 13:42
I don't think Barry is being specific to himself, I think he is throwing open a general question which is more relevant to people like myself.

For instance I have just been informed that a village local to where I live is thinking about starting a fencing club, and would I be interested in helping with it. Which actually translates into if so and so sets up a club could/would srb come and coach for free.

Which I would if I could, so back to Barry's original question 'can I take?'.

srb

Prometheus
-17th December 2003, 14:05
For instance I have just been informed that a village local to where I live is thinking about starting a fencing club, and would I be interested in helping with it. Which actually translates into if so and so sets up a club could/would srb come and coach for free.

Don't do it SRB. For your sakes and theirs!!!!!!:tongue:

Prometheus (been waiting for this moment for months, mwahahaha)

Barry Paul
-17th December 2003, 14:39
Yes my question was asking a general question which I think needs answering. Barry Paul P.S. Thank you for your kind comments on my coaching ability, by now a little dated? Change beat change on advancing with a double disengage, might be a bit old fashioned.

Jenrick
-17th December 2003, 23:23
What about the BAF for weapon specific training. I know it is possible on their system. I know if you contact the training officer then they will run level 1 and 2 courses if the times are suitable. I know that we are currently trying to tie down a Saturday in late Jan for Epee - albeit it is in N.Ireland! If interested give me a pm for info. This is for level 1 Epee.

pinkelephant
-18th December 2003, 09:58
Originally posted by Barry Paul
Yes my question was asking a general question which I think needs answering. Barry Paul P.S. Thank you for your kind comments on my coaching ability, by now a little dated? Change beat change on advancing with a double disengage, might be a bit old fashioned.

Yeah - might work though!

Barry Paul
-18th December 2003, 17:05
good Barry Paul

Mike Joseph
-16th January 2004, 10:48
Barry,
You ask whether you can train as a fencing coach/teacher at one weapon only.
There has already been a reply suggesting you contact the B.A.F. and this is the possibility I wish to expand.
As a member of the B.A.F. I can assure you and any aspiring fencing teacher/coach that the B.A.F. offers the opportunity to train to gain qualifications at one, two or all three weapons from Level 1 to Diploma which is Level 5.
Courses and workshops are organised by members of the B.A.F. in different parts of the country. Examinations are organised, by agreement with the B.A.F. Course Officer, in different parts of the country too.
The B.A.F. Flagship Course is a residential one held in April of each year. The precise dates for this year are from the 5th. to the 9th. April with examinations held on the 10th. April at the same venue.
For more details visit the B.A.F. website; www.baf-fencing.org and then visit the 'What's New' page. This will give you more information and contact details to reserve your place as well as full costs.
The cost of attending the course is fully inclusive of accommodation, meals and training. You take your own kit of course.
Examination fees are additional.
Please feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Mike Joseph

srb
-26th February 2004, 09:02
I thought I would resurrect this thread. Does anyone have any experience of doing single weapon coaching through either the BFA or the BAF.

I am interested in taking a coaching course, but in foil only.

srb

Prometheus
-26th February 2004, 09:04
Originally posted by srb
I thought I would resurrect this thread. Does anyone have any experience of doing single weapon coaching through either the BFA or the BAF.

srb

Yes

srb
-26th February 2004, 09:07
Originally posted by Prometheus
Yes

Helpful as always!

srb

Prometheus
-26th February 2004, 09:34
OK,

I did the Basic BAF course/exam with Norman Golding & Brian Pitman about 5 years ago.

My advice for what it's worth is -

Find a good coach (I know you know many) and assist them in return for coaching tuition.

It's arguable that doing a course such as the BAF initial level is useful for teaching lesson structure etc. but the skill of coaching I found was mainly developed by observation and tuition on the job with a structure guided by the course.

Certainly with the BAF system I found that the course is useful for lesson structure and methodology (I refer to the basic level 2 - it may have changed by now) but is very, very intensive and you need to be prepared beforehand to get the most out of it.

The BFA system, as I understand it, is run with this approach more formalised and is based on the Hungarian method. You have to fill in a log book etc. The only problem you may have with the BFA course is it is aimed at coaches doing all three weapons not just the one.

An issue if, like me, you want to channel all your available time (which is not much) into one weapon. Although there are clear benefits for 'cross pollination' of ideas by doing all three.

Perhaps a good start is buying the Istvan Lukovitch book as listed in the BFA book listhttp://www.britishfencing.com/booklist.html

Prometheus
-26th February 2004, 09:37
PS

Good luck sucker!

haggis
-26th February 2004, 20:02
Originally posted by srb

srb

Two things:
1. Why (the serious one) and
2. Don't do it. That way madness lies (look at the coaches you know)

Regards

Haggis

srb
-27th February 2004, 09:27
As at my local club I get dragged into taking footwork sessions, and giving lessons to youngsters. So I thought perhaps I should learn to do it properly.

srb

Prometheus
-27th February 2004, 09:42
Slippery slope mate, that's how I went wrong.....

DrT
-27th February 2004, 11:26
I'm in a similar position to srb - I'm just starting to learn how to teach and coach. Please tell me there's something good about the slope I've slipped onto! :eek:

Prometheus
-27th February 2004, 11:34
It's great if you like...........

long unsociable hours

working with smelly people who don't pay attention

getting poor pay (if not, resented for the amounts involved)

perpetual tiredness

a bad back

thankless pupils

The upside: on the rare occasion that a pupil actually bothers to prepare and then fence in the way you know they can do - you may get some reflected glory. Invariably good coaches are not credited with pupil's success as perhaps they should be?

DrT
-27th February 2004, 11:58
that's a bit of a disappointing motivational speech! :(

Prometheus
-27th February 2004, 13:05
oh, sorry that was the truth. My mistake :(

srb
-27th February 2004, 18:31
What about CRB checks?

srb

haggis
-28th February 2004, 16:30
Originally posted by srb
What about CRB checks?

srb

Got something to hide?

BFA and BAF carry out CRB checks on their coaching members.

srb
-29th February 2004, 10:59
It's just my wife used to run a playgroup, and now works in a school, and she reckons that strictly speaking I shouldn't even be helping out unless I'm CRB checked.

So how are you covered if you are a trainee coach? My wife reckoned a private CRB check costs about 350.

srb

Jenrick
-1st March 2004, 08:06
Just had a CRB check as I work for a voluntary organisation cost was 65.00. Even though I was checked by BFA. Also in regards to the working with kids a course on Child Protection from local council for about 10 would be helpful. Maybe the club could pay it?

Rdb811
-1st March 2004, 13:06
Originally posted by Jenrick
Just had a CRB check as I work for a voluntary organisation cost was 65.00. Even though I was checked by BFA. Also in regards to the working with kids a course on Child Protection from local council for about 10 would be helpful. Maybe the club could pay it?

I though the cost was a lot less , otherwise teh coaches would have been moaning about it.

rpryer
-1st March 2004, 13:57
My understanding is that the BFA pay the 10 or so charge for volunteers (who are full members of the BFA). Professional coaches have to pay the fee for their own disclosure.

rpryer
-1st March 2004, 16:02
I'll correct myself before someone else does...

The standard fee for an enhanced disclosure (i.e. the one required to be a coach) is 29. For the standard disclosure the fee is 24.

For volunteers, the CRB provide disclosures free of charge.