PDA

View Full Version : Blocking times

gbm
-17th December 2003, 20:18
For anybody who cares, here are the current blocking times and some proposed changes:

Foil: Currently between 700 and 800 milliseconds (ms). There are proposals to reduce this to 200 or 300 ms.
Epee: Currently only 40-50 ms (between 1/20th and 1/25th of a second!). I am not aware of any proposals to change this.
Sabre: Currently between 300 and 350 ms (similar to the proposed changes at Foil.) There is a proposal to reduce this to 120 ms.

The blocking time is the time after a hit by one fencer in which the other fencer can also register a hit (e.g. get a double hit in epee)

I know is isn't foil specific, but there isn't a three-weapon category, and I don't want to put it in the armoury section as I think it affects fencers.

DanInMI
-17th December 2003, 21:22
Originally posted by goodbadandme
For anybody who cares, here are the current blocking times and some proposed changes:

Foil: Currently between 700 and 800 milliseconds (ms). There are proposals to reduce this to 200 or 300 ms.
Epee: Currently only 40-50 ms (between 1/20th and 1/25th of a second!). I am not aware of any proposals to change this.
Sabre: Currently between 300 and 350 ms (similar to the proposed changes at Foil.) There is a proposal to reduce this to 120 ms.

The blocking time is the time after a hit by one fencer in which the other fencer can also register a hit (e.g. get a double hit in epee)

I know is isn't foil specific, but there isn't a three-weapon category, and I don't want to put it in the armoury section as I think it affects fencers.
Where have you been? This isn't a proposal anymore. The FIE voted to implement the reduction of the blocking time from 700 MS to 300ms three weeks ago.

gbm
-17th December 2003, 21:29
Where was this? I just checked all the latest copies of the Escrime on the FIE website! You aren't referring to the planned implementation of these rules into the Junior World Cup 2004-2005 season? Please tell me where this is? I am dying to see if they have eliminated flicking (Hooray if they have!).

gbm
-17th December 2003, 21:37
You're right, it's in the press releases!

*New technical details for foil fencing:
Shorter time for "blocking-time": now 300 milliseconds (former: 550)
Longer impact-time: now 15 milliseconds (2)
More impact-power: now 750 gram (500)
Use of a new point of the weapon
**New technical details for sabre fencing:
Shorter time for double hits: now 120 milliseconds (350).

Robert
-19th December 2003, 17:05
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Where was this? I just checked all the latest copies of the Escrime on the FIE website! You aren't referring to the planned implementation of these rules into the Junior World Cup 2004-2005 season? Please tell me where this is? I am dying to see if they have eliminated flicking (Hooray if they have!).

This was also all over this forum for several weeks, consult the thread on 'The FIE want to kill foil'.

Robert

Moose
-24th December 2003, 00:33
Hmmm the new foil points arent going to go down well.

Question, if a foil goes back to LP for repointing are you gonna offer the new points or just stick the old one on?