PDA

View Full Version : Vets Winton Trawl for Women fencers !!

Linda L
-26th August 2009, 07:05
Dear all

Once again the Veterans Winton cup is near ( sept 12 13 Lilleshall)
Anyway- the NW seems to be missing 8 women fencers of veterans age to fill places in their Foil ( 2) Epee (3 ) and Sabre (3) teams.

IF you are of Veterans age ( 40) and would like to fence in a Veterans Winton cup PLEASE pm me.
We have 8 full and 1 partial team. The comp is held over 2 days with a gala dinner in the Sat evening. SO LOTS OF FENCING ....

Look at the NVA web site if you want to see what we are all about or PM me!
http://www.veterans-fencing.co.uk/ and click on latest news

Might be JUST the time to join us. Its a great weekend- and you will make loads of new friends.

If you are already a member and want to fence- you DO NOT NEED TO LIVE IN THE NW...! The Winton is about fencing and being inclusive.

pinkelephant
-26th August 2009, 08:19
Sorry - I've quit. Too much pain.

J_D
-26th August 2009, 08:21
Looking forward to a fun weekend!

Is the NVA site going to be updated with the team lists, there seems to be a few holes there right now...

Linda L
-26th August 2009, 11:19
Sorry - I've quit. Too much pain.

So sorry to hear that- you will be missed ( although still about I take it? )

Linda L
-26th August 2009, 11:20
Looking forward to a fun weekend!

Is the NVA site going to be updated with the team lists, there seems to be a few holes there right now...

I gave the captains the option of posting the teams in full- some of them have declined- makes it really hard then to fill in the gaps, but we try :)

aao
-26th August 2009, 11:42
Dear all

you DO NOT NEED TO LIVE IN THE NW...! The Winton is about fencing and being inclusive.

Purely out of curiosity, is this the generally the situation with the veterans Winton? I know in the senior Winton there is a small degree of lets say latitude about whether fencers currently fence in or have fenced in the region they are representing, but generally there has to be some connection (having done an open in that region doesn't count!).

Rdb811
-26th August 2009, 12:21
This is only the second one - and the pool of fencers is a lot smaller so its a case of getting teams out as the first priority.

Danum
-26th August 2009, 13:19
As a member of the Southern region ladies epee team last year I was delighted to be invited again this year - had I not been I might well have been tempted to put aside my Yorkshire upbringing and offer to fence for the NW. It was fun event and the dinner and disco were great too. A well organised event and worthing claiming affiliation to the NW if you fancy a fun weekend with fencing thrown in too. Gives you a good excuse not to attend the BFA AGM too!!!

Linda L
-26th August 2009, 15:02
Purely out of curiosity, is this the generally the situation with the veterans Winton? I know in the senior Winton there is a small degree of lets say latitude about whether fencers currently fence in or have fenced in the region they are representing, but generally there has to be some connection (having done an open in that region doesn't count!).

As a matter of fact we do try and get fencers from the same region- that is why we appointed 9 regional managers/ captains.
But to make sure that everyone has a good fencing weekend- and make a competition of it- we allow fencers that are not in the region to in fill a team as we see fit.

Last year, before he sadly passed away, we had extensive discussions with Bobby, and the Original Winton idea ( from just after the war ! ) was to get people fencing and competing in the regions.

We therefore see no problem as the vets ARE inclusive and the strict regional rule can only be applied when we have enough veteran fencers :)

As Bobby allowed, we have not chosen the BF regions, but picked our own. And next year we may allow-( say) a mixed Scotland Ireland team fencing under the Celts region!!:)

pinkelephant
-26th August 2009, 15:10
So sorry to hear that- you will be missed ( although still about I take it? )

Yes - doing what I was mostly doing anyway: refereeing and organising.

aao
-26th August 2009, 15:15
In no way was I trying to criticise, I was just curious to know how the system works for the Vets. I am all for events which include as much fencing as possible for as many people as possible, its just with the nature of the Winton cup being a regional event I had assumed the same rules would be carried forward in order to maintain the structure of the event.

If finding enough fencers from each region is an issue could the rules not be ammended slightly differently to allow say a limited number (e.g. 4-5) of over 30's or 35's per region to participate, thereby keeping the regional nature of the comp while as much as possible preserving its status as vets event. (p.s. I say this having fully experienced how 'energetically' and enthusiastically some of our vets still fence)

Rdb811
-26th August 2009, 16:03
Not really, as it would then stop feeling like a Vets event (and some of the 39 year ols may not want reminding of what's coming next) - in any event the lack of strict regional identity doesn't seem to be an issue.

Linda L
-26th August 2009, 16:52
[QUOTE=aao;222547]In no way was I trying to criticise,

I didn't take it as a criticism :) we have no problem with the regions being a little mixed ( one of the teams is Norfolk and the North West)

We have thought about allowing in some honorary young vets but feel that it is better to keep it just to the NVA ( as Bobby wished) and the 40 plus.
But anyone 40 plus is most welcome, and yes 24 fights in a weekend is taxing for anyone, but a really good weekend - any takers ?? :p

pinkelephant
-26th August 2009, 20:12
I can testify to the fact that, as Linda says, it's really good fun. And if it weren't for my back, I'd be there for the North West!

27ab1c
-27th August 2009, 19:39
Vets Winton Trawl for Women fencers
...twas always the way:whistle:

I'll join the vets, honest. Just as soon as I can beat Bob Turner. Trouble is, he just won't slow down.