PDA

View Full Version : Return of the King

Rdb811
-31st December 2003, 00:22
Word of advice - leave when you see the map - the smaltz thereafter is appalling.

Gav
-31st December 2003, 09:14
Originally posted by Rdb811
Word of advice - leave when you see the map - the smaltz thereafter is appalling.

Strangely close to the book though.

I enjoyed the film. So much so, that I have now seen it 3 times! (I know, I know - I am such a geek)

I can't wait to own the special edition DVD. Rumour is that it will be in the range of 4 1/2 to 5 hr's long!

tigger
-31st December 2003, 09:57
Quote - I enjoyed the film. So much so, that I have now seen it 3 times! (I know, I know - I am such a geek)

Yup! But then I've read the book in excess of 10 times in the last 20 years! Shame the battle for Hobbiton got missed out tho!

frazzled
-31st December 2003, 10:05
Why does Frodo have to go on the ship at the end?

I really didn't understand that bit.

Gav
-31st December 2003, 11:11
Originally posted by tigger
Quote - I enjoyed the film. So much so, that I have now seen it 3 times! (I know, I know - I am such a geek)

Yup! But then I've read the book in excess of 10 times in the last 20 years! Shame the battle for Hobbiton got missed out tho!

Trying to get one on me eh!? I've read LOTR well in excess of 10 times as I have read it at least once every year since I was 12!

Nobody out-geeks the Gav! ha ha ha ha

To be honest; 'The scouring of the Shire' and 'The Grey Havens' are my least favourite part of the books. I think that the Grey Havens should have been left out of the Theatrical release of ROTK. The Battle for Hobbiton part is in the film - it was used in the mirror of Galadriel scene. Jackson just didn't put it back in at the end.

Frazzled:

Unless you have read the books the bit where Frodo leaves with the Elves doesn't make much sense. Basically, as he was the ring bearer the Elves allowed him to depart with them when they sailed away as he had become weary of the world. It's meant to be a great honour as the Elves orginal homeland was amongst the gods (the Valar).

uk_45
-31st December 2003, 12:28
Ok Gav here a shot im off to see it for bout the 5th time in a min and i have the anduril on order. Prob going to get the shards of narsil if i can get the money

Rdb811
-31st December 2003, 18:35
Originally posted by frazzled
Why does Frodo have to go on the ship at the end?

I really didn't understand that bit.

He was suffering from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, basically.

I think Sam joins him mainy years later, but I haven't familiarised myself with the textuality lately (as someone I knew who is now a professor of English once said, of Hamlet, i think)

Tihon
-18th January 2004, 12:18
A comment of a friend of mine just as Gandalf picked up Frodo and Sam with an eagle:"Why didn't they take an eagle in the first place and fly to mountain Doom to destroy the ring???"

Has a point though....

cheers

Tihon

uk_45
-18th January 2004, 12:23
Makes a better story doesn't it!!!

hayleyjade
-18th January 2004, 13:29
Originally posted by Tihon
A comment of a friend of mine just as Gandalf picked up Frodo and Sam with an eagle:"Why didn't they take an eagle in the first place and fly to mountain Doom to destroy the ring???"

Has a point though....

cheers

Tihon

that is what i have been thinking for years! why o why not? lol!

can you tell im not a big fan?!?!?!

Gav
-18th January 2004, 13:30

Has a point though....

cheers

Tihon

Yes it makes for a better story.

What isn't discussed in the films is the fact that that the eagles are their own secies with their own agenda's. They can speak and have their own traditions and history. They are not 'Middle Earth Air Taxi Inc.'. A lot of people who haven't read the books don't know that. Also consider that, "the Eye see's all" within his own realm. It's highly likely that he would notice a giant Eagle trying to sneak into his domain and could dispatch a few Nazgul to finish of said Eagle and shish-kebab any Hobbits that get in their way.

Mantis
-18th January 2004, 13:37

Because the eagle would have been intercepted by the Nazgul before it got anywhere near. The whole point was to get the ring to Mount Doom without being noticed, which is why they didn't just walk in the front door. :tongue:

Caithdein
-18th January 2004, 14:46
theres also the view that the eagles couldnt stand the presence of the ring and thus wouldnt have carried it into mordor or anywhere else for that matter.

as for why frodo went on the ships he was injured in body and mind by the ring, the witch kings blade and shelobs venom and basically could never find peace in middle earth - hence the elves allowed him the great honour of travelling with them

as for geekiness ive only seen the film twice due to work and uni time constraints but ive read the book at least once a year every year since i was about 10 or 11 and sometimes twice a year, so thats at least 16 times but definately more, ive read the appendices and all the histories i can find.

oh and Gav - last rumour i heard regarding the EE version of Return of the King was that it clocks in at around 4 hours 20 minutes. So thats a nice 11 and a half Lord of the rings session when you wath all three EE versions back to back :grin:

Rdb811
-18th January 2004, 17:48
There's alos the point that only hobbits could be relied upon to drop the ring into teh Crack of Doom.

Gav
-19th January 2004, 08:28
Originally posted by Caithdein

oh and Gav - last rumour i heard regarding the EE version of Return of the King was that it clocks in at around 4 hours 20 minutes. So thats a nice 11 and a half Lord of the rings session when you wath all three EE versions back to back :grin:

The current rumour is that ROTK EE will clock in around 5 hrs! I can't wait to do a LOTR marathon. Some friends of mine are alreadu planning their's...

Rdb811
-19th January 2004, 08:39
I'm hoping the big 70mm screen at Marble Arch will show all three.

Caithdein
-19th January 2004, 17:41
where'd you get your rumours from gav?

i'd heard originally 5 hours but the latest ive seen on theonering.net was the 4 hrs 15 mins one.