PDA

View Full Version : Are the American rules the same as the British?

Dave Hillier
-1st May 2003, 12:52
I have found a copy of the American fencing rules (2002 version) at fencing.net are these the same as the British Fencing rules?

I would assume that both are just translations from the french FIE rules. But are there any discrepancies? Can I just print off a version of these rules rather than buy a copy of the British version?

File can be found here http://www.fencing101.com/files/2002USFARules.pdf

Gav
-1st May 2003, 13:04
The americans use our version of the rules. I believe that there may be some differences in terminology on their side of the pond but essentially, yes, they use ours.

kingkenny
-1st May 2003, 13:53
In America are all the rules on clothing being 350N protective the same? I heard only FIE stuff had to be 800N.

3 Card Trick
-1st May 2003, 22:35
There are innacuracies in the USFA Rules and they also incorporate some US specific glosses. The diferences are not merely a question of being divided by a common tongue.

Having said that they do at least incorporate most of the recent updates.

The only totally up to date version of the rules available on the web is the latest French version which can be found on the FIE website. This helpfully shows all recent changes in blue.

Barry Paul
-2nd May 2003, 21:17
Rules in french, good thing my grand father was french.

oiuyt
-2nd May 2003, 21:19
The US rules are made by taking the British translation of the French, adding a few US adjustments (such as removing the requirements that whites have any specific rating, in the US it's merely required that they be a "robust material", in the US at local events there are no color restriction on the uniform, etc.) and Americanizing some words/spellings (hit -> touch, president -> referee, coloured -> colored, etc.).

The US specific rules are seperated out and noted as such.

-B :)

doobarz
-2nd May 2003, 22:45
at the Scottish leg of the Coupe du Nord, I found that the American/Canadian sabreuers seemed to have a different idea of what consituted an attack in respect of hand actions, ie what would be given as attack from the left is no, reposte is good, remise would be given as a compound action. Thought the regualr A Grade fencer agreed with the Brits when we went 'NOOOOOOOOOO!'

nahouw
-26th May 2003, 00:21
Originally posted by doobarz
at the Scottish leg of the Coupe du Nord, I found that the American/Canadian sabreuers seemed to have a different idea of what consituted an attack in respect of hand actions, ie what would be given as attack from the left is no, reposte is good, remise would be given as a compound action. Thought the regualr A Grade fencer agreed with the Brits when we went 'NOOOOOOOOOO!'

Yes, you are correct that the American interpretation of the rules is different than the rest of the world. That is why America has difficulties in World Cup competitions; some of the top American fencers are able to adapt to this difference, but most are not. Most probably the reason being is that the Americans that do well in World Cups are given reputation touches in the American interpretation.