PDA

View Full Version : London 2012 team events

Slowhand
-27th November 2009, 15:51
The FIE held its congress in Palermo last weekend when the team events to be held at the London Olympics were discussed. I can see no official report of the outcome on the FIE website, but I noticed the following on fencing.net posted by Gladius, who seems to have been in touch with what went on:

'The FIE Congress has voted for WS and ME not to be part of the team events at the London Olympics.'

My Italian is not up to much, but I think that this is confirmed by the following report on the FIS website:

http://www.federscherma.it/news.asp?i=77795&s=7

'21/11/2009 - 19:9
PALERMO - La scelta della cittā che ospiterā i Campionati del Mondo assoluti del 2011 č stata rimandata a domani, secondo e ultimo giorno del Congresso della FIE in corso a Palermo.
I delegati si sono, invece, soffermati su alcuni punti all'ordine del giorno come la scelta delle competizioni a squadre che verranno tolte dal programma olimpico di Londro 2012. Dopo un lungo confronto, si č deciso per l'esclusione dalla competizione olimpica delle squadre di sciabola femminile e spada maschile.'

septic_belgian
-27th November 2009, 17:02
This is a shame and bad news for the UK. Here is the translation from Google (which is not too bad by the way)
PALERMO - The choice of cities that will host the 2011 World Championships Absolute has been postponed until tomorrow, second and final day of the Congress of the FIE in Palermo.
Delegates, however, touch on a few items on the agenda as the choice of team competitions that will be removed from the Olympic program in London 2012. After a lengthy debate, it was decided to exclude from the competition of the Olympic women's team saber and sword men. '

TomA
-27th November 2009, 18:42
Unfortunate for British Fencing, but I guess it was the likely outcome.

On the plus side, at least Jon Willis can't be left on the bench for the team event!

hokers
-27th November 2009, 18:55
But it probably throws the door wide open for the 8 host nation places...

Red
-27th November 2009, 22:31
If the number of places is the same as previous Olympics, then competition for the 2 WS places will be incredibly fierce....

pinkelephant
-28th November 2009, 08:57
t's assuming that 2 places will go to WS. Assuming there is a MF team, that takes 3 of the 8 places, leaving 5 places between the other 5 weapons. If we put in a team in another weapon, that restricts it further, to 2 individual places between 4 weapons.

frog
-28th November 2009, 09:46
If any Brits qualify out right via the World Rankings (which is quite likely by 2012, and already very possible with MF team) will there still be 8 quota places on top of those already qualified?

Australian
-28th November 2009, 11:15
If any Brits qualify out right via the World Rankings (which is quite likely by 2012, and already very possible with MF team) will there still be 8 quota places on top of those already qualified?

yes.

hokers
-28th November 2009, 12:22
I was assuming the MF team were going to qualify, they certainly look like the real deal at the moment. Odds are we wil probably qualify one other in an individual event, we usually do.

The point is that WS and ME were probably our best team options behind MF. Now both are out, fewer of those 8 places are likely to be spent getting a full team in, so you would reckon on one place in each weapon, maybe two for some..

Red
-28th November 2009, 16:20
t's assuming that 2 places will go to WS. Assuming there is a MF team, that takes 3 of the 8 places, leaving 5 places between the other 5 weapons. If we put in a team in another weapon, that restricts it further, to 2 individual places between 4 weapons.

I was assuming that 4 or more girls would be good enough to qualify by right so it'd be tough due to that rather than fighting for host places.

pinkelephant
-28th November 2009, 17:03
I was assuming that 4 or more girls would be good enough to qualify by right so it'd be tough due to that rather than fighting for host places.

Have you looked at the "qualifying by right" criteria?

Australian
-28th November 2009, 18:34

In the European zone you'd probably need to be in the top 10-15 in the world to qualify "by right"

Red
-28th November 2009, 21:18
Have you looked at the "qualifying by right" criteria?

Yes, and it's tough. Top few in the world and top few from zones.
Though with only 2 per nation it's probably more like get comfortably inside the top 40 (places like CHN, USA, UKR, FRA, GER, ITA, RUS have 3 of more ahead of the best GBR - makes it 'easier') which three are currently capable of.

I apologise for being hopelessly optimistic.