PDA

View Full Version : Electric all clear diamond sabre/epee masks!

firebrand
-5th January 2004, 05:40
From my basic knowledge of chemistry in year 12 I remember that Diamond being a carbon crystal conducts electricty. Thus we have the possibility here of a fully clear mask for sabre and epee! Diamond crystals can be manufactured artificially and as you know are the hardest known substance and are then scratch resistant. Now all we need is to attract the likes of Athena Onasis to the sport.

firebrand

Australian
-5th January 2004, 06:00
reckon that you'll be able to get it to the resistance level that the boxes/FIE require (<250 Ohms for the box, 5 Ohms for the mask)?

pinkelephant
-5th January 2004, 08:30
Originally posted by firebrand
From my basic knowledge of chemistry in year 12 I remember that Diamond being a carbon crystal conducts electricty. Thus we have the possibility here of a fully clear mask for sabre and epee! Diamond crystals can be manufactured artificially and as you know are the hardest known substance and are then scratch resistant. Now all we need is to attract the likes of Athena Onasis to the sport.

firebrand

Sorry to disabuse you, but it's the GRAPHITE form of carbon which conducts electricity, not diamond.

reposte
-5th January 2004, 09:27
As I recall, Isn't graphite a very poor conductor?

pinkelephant
-5th January 2004, 11:37
Originally posted by reposte
As I recall, Isn't graphite a very poor conductor?

Compared to metals, yes. Compared to other non-metallic elements, certainly not.

Silver is about 900 times as conductive as graphite. On the other hand, graphite is 700 billion times as conductive as iodine. Graphite is used for electrodes in many electrolytic processes, in labs and in industry.

kingkenny
-5th January 2004, 11:43
pink elephant stop teaching us usefull information we are not at school now! :grin:

pinkelephant
-5th January 2004, 12:07
I am!

firebrand
-5th January 2004, 14:45
I'll have to look into that. I will check the science dictionary and with a friend who loves physics. Besides it is a farsical notion, quite out of the question.

firebrand

tigger
-5th January 2004, 15:51
Sorry folks. This idea was invented at Truro Fencing Club in 2002! Our resident boffin (Ben Menadue-an epeeist of course) came up with it in the pub after fencing 1 night. I think I may have even posted it on an old thread about clear masks a while back...

stevejackson
-5th January 2004, 21:21
Guys, you've forgotten one other basic property of Diamond. It's Brittle, a hard blow at the right (Wrong) angle will chip lumps off a diamond. I think I'll stick to stainless steel mesh.

kingkenny
-6th January 2004, 08:14
How about ice. Water conducts electricity so maybe. ;)

pinkelephant
-6th January 2004, 12:24
Water conducts very poorly. You need a very high voltage to make it conduct sufficiently to electrocute somebody. In any case, it only conducts at all in the liquid state - the few ions present are not mobile in the solid stste, so ice doesn't conduct.

uk_45
-6th January 2004, 15:15
Why dont we just not bother with visor masks i mean ok maybe in foil and epee but not in sabre sorry no way as far as i see they are cheating (ok the fie allows it but hey it is the fie). In case you hadn;t realised i hate them in sabre.

UglyBug
-6th January 2004, 15:54
Originally posted by Kingkenny

Or no mask at all? We can all parry quinte, right??!!

UglyBug
-6th January 2004, 15:55
Originally posted by Kingkenny

Or no mask at all? We can all parry quinte, right??!!

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

UglyBug
-6th January 2004, 15:56
oops - don't know why it appeared twice. Is there an echo in here?