PDA

View Full Version : Crossing feet

UglyBug
-5th January 2004, 07:51
If you think your opponent is crossing their feet coming forward, do you have a right to a foot judge, or is it at the discretion of the referee if you ask him?

Can you be carded for asking for a foot judge?

tigger
-5th January 2004, 15:03
You can ask for a foot judge without being carded (do it reasonably and politely!), but I don't think the ref is obliged to agree to your request.

Moose
-13th January 2004, 23:34
Does the foot judge make his decision based on odor?

Mantis
-14th January 2004, 07:50
Originally posted by Moose
Does the foot judge make his decision based on odor?

Yes, if your feet are in the wrong odor then you must have crossed them. :grin:

The Little Un
-14th January 2004, 18:54
I cannot see why anybody who is reasonable would need a foot judge. That is as long as the referee is fair. If a referee says that my feet have crossed, then that is fine. I have to admit that since doing some foil, I have crossed my feet a couple of times.

Best wishes,
Judy

UglyBug
-14th January 2004, 19:22
If a referee tells me I have crossed my feet, I have no problem with that. However, there is a problem if I cross my feet and the referee does not notice. I would have no problem then if my opponent requested a foot judge and would hope that they would show me the same courtesy.

I fell foul abroad when my opponent repeatedly crossed her feet coming forward and the referee ignored my requests for a foot judge. He eventually appointed foot judges when I was 14-9 down and I then won 15-14.

The Little Un
-14th January 2004, 20:01
I cannot say that I would notice if her feet did cross over, too busy looking to see where her weapon is aim at. I have however conceded a point when I have known that I have accidently crossed my feet.

Best wishes,
Judy

randomsabreur
-15th January 2004, 10:25
Referees have a lot to look for in a fight, and some cross steps are fairly subtle. I got carded for cross stepping once, basically attacked, got parried, knew I was about to get riposted and wandered past my opponent, crossing my feet with my eyes shut and hand up to acknowledge the hit that was about to get me. Sadly the riposte was rather slow, so the cross step was before it landed so I got a yellow. Of course this was rather obvious and amusing to all concerned, but cross steps aren't always that obvious so foot judges are v. useful

Moose
-15th January 2004, 13:08
My problem sometimes is cross stepping without noticing when the fight gets faster.

However I make full use of the fact you can cross step going backwards :)

UglyBug
-15th January 2004, 14:15
IE Running away like a girl :-)

Moose
-15th January 2004, 14:20
No, move backwards faster than your opponent can come at you, jump in the air, arch back and hit him on top of the wrist as his sword falls short :grin: