PDA

View Full Version : Training Weekend 23rd & 24th January 2010 - Glasgow

scottishsabreur
-11th December 2009, 18:04
Please see the website below for details of a training weekend being held in Glasgow in January.

http://www.susport.org.uk/events.asp?s=2&cat=Fencing&vid=SUS-V10881

The venue is;

ARC Recreation and Health Centre,
Glasgow Caledonian University,
Cowcaddens Rd,
Glasgow,
G4 0BA

Applications will only be accepted up to the 15th January 2010. Places will be limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Applications will not be accepted without payment. For non Scottish Fencing members the cost is £30 (not noted on the form due to lack of space!). This is open to anyone with a current SF/BF licence who is 17 by 1st January 2010. Membership forms will be available on the day.

Apologies for clashing with the Essex, this was unintentional and was the most suitable date available for the target demographic and the coaches involved.

If you have any questions please use the email address on the form or PM me.

Thanks!

Jennifer McMillan
SUS Fencing Sport Development Co-ordinator/Director of Scottish Fencing Ltd

scottishsabreur
-27th December 2009, 15:15
Apologies! I have recieved the following email from Alan Loveland and Scottish Fencing (though I have had no feedback from the Board as a whole). Please read below;

"This is clearly not a taster course to attract newcomers into the sport. The flyer describes a weekend of “rigorous physical training”, which would be inappropriate for people lacking prior experience of fencing.

The flyer and form contain no requirement for participants to be full individual members of any of the four home country governing bodies.

It is apparent that the insurance cover provided by British Fencing to home country development activities would not extend to this event because of the intention to use *non-registered coaches and admit non-members and social members to the training.

Scottish Fencing is not willing to lend its name unless all participants are full individual members of one of the four home country governing bodies; unless this is made a requirement I must ask you to remove the Scottish Fencing logo and all references to Scottish Fencing Ltd from the course form and any associated material."

To address these points I would like to state;

This course is aimed largely at those who are competitive fencers whether student level, open competition or national/international level, therefore I would anticipate most participants would be insured fencers through their Home Country.

As SF are now withdrawing their support there will be no extra cost to non SF members (£20 for students, £25 for all non students).

The coaching staff are insured through BAF and are qualified to coach at the levels stated.

However this does not appear to satisfy Scottish Fencing Ltd who have now stated they are withdrawing their support from the event. The event WILL still go ahead and is now supported by Scottish Universities Sport and Leon Paul Scotland Ltd. I would like to thank Leon Paul Scotland for their support at this time. Please note orders can be placed with Leon Paul Scotland in advance for this course and can be collected from the venue. All orders over £100 will recieve a discount, please speak to Dusty about this directly. He can be contacted at the following email address destecroix@blueyonder.co.uk

Applications have been arriving over the past week or so and places are filling up. Please send your forms in with payment ASAP! The above link will be updated once the office staff return from their Christmas break. I have tried to attach the updated form to the forum but I'm having issues, if anyone can help please let me know! The current form can still be used but please remember that SF are no longer involved in this endeavour.

*in this case non-registered refers to coaches who meet all the requirements to be an SF registered coach, please note the only requirement not met by the head coach is that they are not a member of SF at the moment.

LifeBeginsAt58
-27th December 2009, 23:37
Now that SF have withdrawn their blessings upon this excellent initiative this can only mean one thing. It'll be a fantastic success!
Thank goodness for the loose-cannons, like yourself lass, who keep the sport alive. Thanks also to Alan who, once again, carries the collective cojones of SF to fire the bullets handed to him.
PS- r u and the better half in for the Scottish Open?

LifeBeginsAt58
-27th December 2009, 23:57
now supported by Scottish Universities Sport and Leon Paul Scotland Ltd... please speak to Dusty about this directly. He can be contacted at the following email address destecroix@blueyonder.co.uk

Applications have been arriving over the past week or so and places are filling up. Please send your forms in with payment ASAP!...
I have tried to attach the updated form to the forum but I'm having issues, if anyone can help please let me know!

Jen, you've just provided the e-mail of the one man who will help!
For those of you, out there, still swithering about whether to sign up, just do it.
As long as I don't get to see what you look like afterwards then, and I'm guessing now, it'll have been awesome.
Hangovers Happen!

coach carson
-28th December 2009, 13:04
Not sure I see the problem. Why would a NGB support an event where participants aren't members or insured?

Pity about the clash with Essex Open, but good luck with the event.

scottishsabreur
-28th December 2009, 18:26
Coach C - No big problem really but it would have been nice for SF to be involved for a change especially as this was an initiative from two of the current SF directors and is being overseen by a former Scotland team coach who has been coaching the Scotland team for near on about 2 decades. This course has always been aimed at members and at encouraging fencers to join SF, membership forms will still be made available on the day for those who take the notion.

LifeBeginsat58 - Thanks for the support. I'm afraid I don't think we will be there. I'm hoping to be fencing on the continent and I believe the other half is working :( though he may pop along to ref if he can on one of the days.

To all - it has now also been confirmed there will be an afternoon seminar at this event on basic refereeing to be instructed by FIE referee, Ian Hunter. This will not lead to a qualification but aims to provide you with the knowledge required to pass a basic level refereeing exam, to ref at club nights and small opens.

Any questions please pm me or email me at scottishstudentfencing@hotmail.co.uk

LifeBeginsAt58
-29th December 2009, 22:41
"Not sure I see the problem. Why would a NGB support an event where participants aren't members or insured?"
I think that there is a problem, CC.
One of the purposes of an NGB must surely be to promote the Sport that they represent. If membership was mandatory to participate then forget drawing new blood into the arena. Taster sessions, nil by mouth?
Hope not, otherwise Fencing will go the way of peevers!
There may well be legal niceties and verbal decorations that can be used to dress up non-involvement as regrettable but necessary. Balderdash and piffle!
SF could have given this event their blessing, albeit without prejudice, but they chose not to. One could speculate as to why they did not support this initiative.
I won't do this here.
Good luck SS. Sorry to hear that you may not be at the Scottish but best wishes (and results) for your continental adventures.

LifeBeginsAt58
-29th December 2009, 23:35
""This is clearly not a taster course to attract newcomers into the sport. The flyer describes a weekend of “rigorous physical training”, which would be inappropriate for people lacking prior experience of fencing."

So, if I was fit but inexperienced in fencing, I would be disqualified as a newcomer?
So, if I'm unfit but inexperienced in fencing, I'd be a bona fiide newcomer?
SS, you should not have warned people that fencing is physically demanding, you were bad!
I hope that you've learned a lesson from your elders and betters SS that only their ideas are worthwhile. Stop innovating, go with the flow and. just perhaps, you may get a mention on their site!
Happy New Year to both Glen and Jen.

coach carson
-30th December 2009, 10:29
I think that there is a problem, CC.
One of the purposes of an NGB must surely be to promote the Sport that they represent. If membership was mandatory to participate then forget drawing new blood into the arena. Taster sessions, nil by mouth?

? This isn't a taster session! If it was it would be insured and supportable.

coach carson
-30th December 2009, 10:32
""This is clearly not a taster course to attract newcomers into the sport. The flyer describes a weekend of “rigorous physical training”, which would be inappropriate for people lacking prior experience of fencing."

So, if I was fit but inexperienced in fencing, I would be disqualified as a newcomer?
So, if I'm unfit but inexperienced in fencing, I'd be a bona fiide newcomer?
SS, you should not have warned people that fencing is physically demanding, you were bad!
I hope that you've learned a lesson from your elders and betters SS that only their ideas are worthwhile. Stop innovating, go with the flow and. just perhaps, you may get a mention on their site!
Happy New Year to both Glen and Jen.

You are confusing good governance with good ideas. As I understand it, BF and SF insurance cannot cover an event such as this.

Foilling Around
-30th December 2009, 16:41
CC is right, as I understand it SF is a limited company and it represents Scottish fencing in general at governmental and UK level. As such there are constraints placed upon it.

LifeBeginsAt58
-31st December 2009, 13:14
Thanks CC and FA for the information.
I stand corrected.

scottishsabreur
-5th January 2010, 19:46
Further information will be posted at

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=225835924155&ref=ts

I don't think we need any further discussion on the matter of insurance, the simple fact is that the event is insured, it is going ahead and SF have chosen not to be a part of it and that's ok. This training has nothing to do with me as a director of SF and is more to do with me as the Sport Development Co-ordinator for SUS. For a long time before I was on the board of SF I have said that I think SF should be giving more to their members and I had hoped this would be a way for them to do that. Unfortunately despite the agreement of the two directors who chair the particular working group involved in this type of activity the decision was made not to support it. The fencers however have chosen to support it and there are lots of applications already in. I look forward to receiving more apps this week. Thank you to those who have already sent their entries in.

scottishsabreur
-7th January 2010, 20:59
Full list of coaches:

Epee:

Head Coach - David Rollo
Assistant Coach - Andrew Rollo

Sabre:

Head Coach - Laszlo Nemscik
Assistant Coach - Robynne Stenner

Foil:

Head Coach - Richard Smith
Assistant Coach - Glenn Sancroft

Still time to get applications in. Those interested only in one day of training can pm me or email to discuss fees for each day based on the coaching syllabus. Basic reffing seminar will be on the Sunday and Fitness coaching on the Saturday. Physio is likely to be on the Sunday also.

scottishsabreur
-8th January 2010, 08:55
Sorry, talking utter rubbish! Assistant foil coach will be Alan McMillan though Glenn will be assisting for sabre.

scottishsabreur
-11th January 2010, 14:35
One day costs have now been set due to the number of requests for one day places.

Student single day - £12
Non Student single day - £15

This is the last week for applications, closing date is this Friday (15th January 2010)

Thanks for all the support so far. I will collecting applications from Glasgow university this week due to a number of students not owning a cheque book. If anyone else is having a similar problem let me know and alternative arrangements can be made.

scottishsabreur
-14th January 2010, 10:18
Closing date for applications is this Friday, 15th January 2010. Applications posted after this date will only be accepted at the organisers discretion and will be dependent on the space available for your weapon.

scottishsabreur
-19th January 2010, 10:14
Please see confirmations at the link below. If you think you should be on the list and are not please let me know asap. Only 10 places available at the moment, very close to maximum capacity.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=225835924155&ref=ts

If you are unable to attend the event for any reason please let me know asap. If you place can be filled then you will be refunded.

scottishsabreur
-21st January 2010, 09:28
Facebook page has been updated. There are now only 3 places left on this course. Please email me at scottishstudentfencing@hotmail.co.uk if you still wish to participate and have not yet put in your application.

For those of you who are unable to attend this course we are already looking at organising a second course towards the middle of the year, immediately after exam time. This will based either in Dundee or Stirling.

scottishsabreur
-22nd January 2010, 16:14
Parking is available for this event on the main campus. This can be accessed from Cowcaddens Road and is directly across from the NCP. The cost is £3 per day. Street parking is available on Dobbies Loan and Coupar Street close to the venue. The cost for street parking in those areas is roughly £2 for 4 hours. Sunday street parking is free.

scottishsabreur
-25th January 2010, 22:09
Thank you to all who attended this event. What a busy weekend it was! Almost 50 people attending!!

I'd like to thank all those who supported the event. Thank you especially to the coaches and to Yinka Faniyan who stepped in on Saturday as Laslo Nemscik was only able to attend on the Sunday due to personal reasons. Thank you to GWEFC for lending us their equipment for on the box fencing and to the staff at Caledonian University who were extremely helpful. My thanks to David Rollo for his expertise and guidance both throughout the weekend and in the planning stages. I'd also like to thank the coaches from North East England who were very helpful in the advice they gave me in preparation for the event.

Given the feedback we have recieved we are now in the planning stage for the next event of this kind which will be held in a different location, further towards Central and Eastern Scotland. Photos of the event and a full report will be available shortly.

LifeBeginsAt58
-26th January 2010, 23:44
Well done SS!

scottishsabreur
-27th January 2010, 10:39
Thank you LB@58

Lost property! A pair of ladies tracksuit trousers were left at the end of the Sunday training. If you think these belong to you please contact me at scottishstudentfencing@hotmail.co.uk with a brief description of them.

Thanks again.