PDA

View Full Version : Scotland v England Olympic Pathway Team Match

Hyde
-21st January 2010, 23:04
We are holding a Scotland v England Gala Team Match on the 27th March in Fernie Castle near Cupar in Scotland. The teams will be...

Scotland
Richard Kruse
Keith Cook
Ed Jefferies

England
Laurence Halstead
Ahmed Rosowsky
Jamie Kenber

More info and online booking at www.fencingevent.com

Chris

madfencer
-22nd January 2010, 10:06
Wow good luck with that! Sounds like that'll be really exciting to watch!!

Gav
-23rd January 2010, 02:06
I am thinking about attending this event. I'll have to see closer to the time though.

fencingmum
-31st January 2010, 17:52
Excellent initiative. Sounds like it'll be a great event. Just wish I could attend.

Good luck to all.

Keith.A.Smith
-1st February 2010, 16:33
I am going and I am sure it will be a good match and great evening.

Keith

Not quite a Vet
-1st February 2010, 18:43
Sounds like a fantastic event, and the venue i know will suit the evening down to a tee. I'm just 15 mins away so the fencing daughter (Chloe Dickson) has already twisted my arm - didn't take much though. Looking forward to what should be a terrific spectacle.

thefiftyniner
-1st February 2010, 21:08
For such a fantastic event has anyone thought of videoing it. FIE standard footage?:rolleyes:

Hyde
-1st February 2010, 22:21
Can't promise FIE spec, but we will be filming it.

Hyde
-16th February 2010, 22:14
Just 30 tickets remaining for this now.

Also just to clarify that proceeds from this are going towards all fencers in all weapons travelling to the Commonwealth Championships - not just the mens foilists!

Marcos
-20th February 2010, 00:50
what a great idea!

Hyde
-16th March 2010, 13:24
Just 10 tickets left!

Gav
-16th March 2010, 13:47
I really want to go but I am going to be busy. :(

LifeBeginsAt58
-17th March 2010, 00:54
Sorry to hear that you can't make it Gav. Don't be too downhearted though, we'll let you know just what you missed!
Frequently:-)

Meg_SF
-17th March 2010, 13:08
I'd love to go to this, but it's so far away! Will there be a return match some time?? Sounds great :-D

mecocheck
-17th March 2010, 18:43
The teams will be...

Scotland
Richard Kruse
Keith Cook
Ed Jefferies

England
Laurence Halstead
Ahmed Rosowsky
Jamie Kenber

Hope it all goes well and Good Luck England!
However, showing my general ignornace of all things fencing, after recently returning from a very long break, I had always assumed that England would benefit from having R K in the team. My apologies to Mr Kruse, if he reads the forum, for just assuming he was English not Scottish!

Back on track though - this sounds like a fantastic event, although it seems a bit of a pity for other countries in the Union that this is not a full home nations event rather than just an England v Scotland clash. Since I have already shown my lack of knowledge once - is this because the other teams would not be of sufficient strength to make this a sensible event; or would it make it too big for what is intended; or do these matches happen and I just do not know about them?

Also will there was a reverse match in Engand at some point? If it was somewhere I could get to I would love to attend and am sure that my daughter would also be excited about the opportunity to see some really top level fencing live.

coach carson
-18th March 2010, 09:02
I think it's meant to be a gala/exhibition/fundraising event rather than a replacement quad. It's going to be a fantastic showcase for fencing and I'm looking forward to it.

Baldric
-18th March 2010, 11:00
Back on track though - this sounds like a fantastic event, although it seems a bit of a pity for other countries in the Union that this is not a full home nations event rather than just an England v Scotland clash. Since I have already shown my lack of knowledge once - is this because the other teams would not be of sufficient strength to make this a sensible event; or would it make it too big for what is intended; or do these matches happen and I just do not know about them?

There is a senior 5 nations team event every year - this year its in Hatfield on 19th June.

As CC says, this is a one-off fundraising gala event for the benefit of the Scottish Commonwealth team.

Hyde
-18th March 2010, 18:48
Baldric & CC are quite correct. This is a one off event designed to showcase/raise the profile of the sport, generate funds for Scotland's CFFC Team and to give anyone who wants it the opportunity to see the Pathway fencers competing.

Mr Kruse has been a member of Scottish Fencing for many years but I believe this is the first time he has fenced for any kind of Scottish Team.

Gav
-18th March 2010, 22:39
I really do think that this would be a good yearly event.

Gutted that I am going to be in Aberdeen that weekend. :(

Spider5
-18th March 2010, 23:25
I really do think that this would be a good yearly event.

Gutted that I am going to be in Aberdeen that weekend. :(

Just the weekend or Monday as well? Get along to ACFC if you're up Monday or Wednesday.

Gav
-19th March 2010, 08:45
Just the weekend or Monday as well? Get along to ACFC if you're up Monday or Wednesday.

Just the weekend. Back home on the Sunday. Visiting friends.

mecocheck
-19th March 2010, 17:24
Baldric & CC are quite correct. This is a one off event designed to showcase/raise the profile of the sport, generate funds for Scotland's CFFC Team and to give anyone who wants it the opportunity to see the Pathway fencers competing.

Mr Kruse has been a member of Scottish Fencing for many years but I believe this is the first time he has fenced for any kind of Scottish Team.

Thanks to all for info.
I fully agree with Gav it would be great if this, or something like it, was held annually.

Skartha
-24th March 2010, 21:24
Asked a similar question on EFC's site - is there anyone driving up and, particularly, back down on the night from Edinburgh who might be able to provide lift-shaped assistance in return for petrol money and gratitude?

Not quite a Vet
-25th March 2010, 14:51
There is a mention of an Edinburgh bus service on the web-site, maybe you should contact Chris Hyde.

Skartha
-25th March 2010, 17:35
There is a mention of an Edinburgh bus service on the web-site, maybe you should contact Chris Hyde.

Bus isnae happening, sadly :( Not many takers, apparently - fair enough if there's no demand.

Not quite a Vet
-25th March 2010, 19:58
Nightmare hope you find a lift, i'm lucky indeed £22 taxi home...

D'Artignan
-25th March 2010, 22:53
Nightmare hope you find a lift, i'm lucky indeed £22 taxi home...You could walk it in about an hour... :p

Gav
-25th March 2010, 22:57
Bus isnae happening, sadly :( Not many takers, apparently - fair enough if there's no demand.

Have you tried Ben or Harty?

LifeBeginsAt58
-26th March 2010, 15:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not quite a Vet
Nightmare hope you find a lift, i'm lucky indeed £22 taxi home...
You could walk it in about an hour...

Not if you're stumbling, half-drunk and wearing a full ball-gown at half-one in the morning.

Keith.A.Smith
-26th March 2010, 16:50
Dear All,

I really hope this event is a great success.

Have fun.

Keith

LifeBeginsAt58
-27th March 2010, 20:24
45-36 for Scotland. Superb fencing from both teams

Not quite a Vet
-28th March 2010, 01:13
The fencing was fantastic, the setting was very well suited to the evening and the meal was excellent...this should be repeated. Well done to the fencers and the organisers. A fantastic idea from Keith Cook. It was well appreciated. Looking forward to another, if it can be arranged...

Gav
-29th March 2010, 11:40
Does anyone know if it's been videoed? I'd like to see it all.

coach carson
-29th March 2010, 11:43
I did see a video camera or two during the action and would be well worth watching if someone would be good enough to post it.

Hyde
-29th March 2010, 12:04
Katie Still from BBC Sport Scotland was there filming the event. She also did pre and post match interviews with the fencers.

There should be a report on BBC Scotland's News program Reporting Scotland on Tuesday night (you should be able to get that on Sky even if you're outside Scotland) A longer piece will be up on the BBC Sport website and then a radio article on next week's Sporting Weekly (BBC Radio Scotland on Saturday morning) I will confirm all these once I know for certain.

She is also giving us a DVD with all the footage, so we should be able to post a lot more video than the BBC provide themselves.

If anyone else has good quality video or photos from the match that we can use I would be delighted to hear from you.

We will also post all the official photos from the event very soon.

A very big thank you to all who attended the event and to everyone who helped us to organise and run it. We raised a great deal more money than we expected to and I hope that everyone involved had a very enjoyable evening. I will post more information as soon as I have it

Chris

cookie
-30th March 2010, 10:42
Hi Guys
I would like to thank everyone that came along and supported the fundraising event at Fernie Castle. It was fantastic to see so many people there - the atmosphere and support was fantastic.
This has been the most successful Scottish fencing fundraising events ever (in all my years of fencing) and it was because of Chris Hyde and the generosity from the Neil & Mary Blackburn. I know Chris has been juggling his day job and working long hours each day to make sure that all bases were covered. I can tell from Chrisís dedication and enthusiasm that Scottish Fencingís future with Chris being SF President is looking bright and I am looking forward to the new changes that he has in store to develop our sport in Scotland.
The venue for the event was perfect in every way. I know it must have been hard/stressful for Mary & Neil to deal with all my/Chrisís demands for the event and I thank you so much. Iím just happy that none of the fencers made any dents in the wall at the end of the piste!
A BIG thank you to all my Team Mates, Richard, Edd, Laurence, Ahmed, Marcus

Keith Cook

Peter Pan
-30th March 2010, 15:26
Chris just told me some coverage should be on Reporting Scotland tonight (starts 1830).

Gav
-30th March 2010, 16:15
For those of you from south of the border - who have a pc and not access to cable or Satellite - you could use something like Zattoo to watch BBC Scotland.

Gav
-30th March 2010, 18:01
Just saw the news piece. Really gutted to have missed it now. :(

Skartha
-30th March 2010, 18:09
Know if it'll be up anywhere? I went but I'd like to see what they did with the footage. Don't know if regional news programmes go up on iPlayer...

Hyde
-30th March 2010, 18:25
It's up on the BBC Scotland website here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8595806.stm

Skartha
-30th March 2010, 18:35
Thanks Chris. Not a bad advert, though I'm not sure about the headline...still, all publicity is good publicity, hopefully plenty of people will take a look at it. :)

Ben-RLS
-31st March 2010, 14:44
Here is a link with a short video from the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8595806.stm

Hyde
-1st April 2010, 09:33
There's a new longer versions of the video up now in the Olympic section of the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/fencing/default.stm

Gav
-1st April 2010, 09:48
Chris, that's brilliant. Makes me want to see the vid even more now!

Not quite a Vet
-1st April 2010, 10:41
I hope the trip to Aberdeen was worth it Moderator? You missed a good one.

fencingmum
-1st April 2010, 10:59
Great film, and great advert for the sport. Roll on 2012!

Gav
-2nd April 2010, 09:39
Any word on the DVD of the footage?

Hyde
-2nd April 2010, 12:24
Any word on the DVD of the footage?

Working on it