PDA

View Full Version : World Cadet and Junior Championships - Baku. 2-10 April 2010

Neil Brown
-26th January 2010, 00:55
Information thread for fencers travelling to Baku for the world championships.

Details will be up next week on the international page at www.fencingcoach.net & on the British Fencing web site.

Timetable is up on the FIE site at http://www.fie.ch/download/homepage/fr/Programme%20Baku%20General.pdf

Flights are planned for the cadets leaving on the 29th March & returning the day after the cadet events for those not involved in the junior individual or team events.

More details as they are confirmed.

Neil Brown
-1st February 2010, 01:30
DRAFT information for British fencers is now up at http://sabrerankings.250x.com/bakuinfo10.pdf

Miss_P
-1st February 2010, 18:01
£1500 - £1800 :eek: that is going to hurt.

oiuyt
-1st February 2010, 23:09
£1500 - £1800 :eek: that is going to hurt.

Also from the document:

If you decide this is not the best way to spend your money on your fencing development (you could probably do 3 week-long training camps for the same cost) please let me & your weapon captain know as soon as possible. This is especially relevant for cadet fencers who generally will have many events in front of them over the years of their fencing career. Please make sure you discuss this with your coach.

Neil Brown
-5th February 2010, 12:26
I've put a bit more visa information in the information document for the event now. If you're travelling to the event please read & act, I know some are waiting for selection events but if you may be selected please can you return the 1-line spreadsheet immediately.

This is because fencers need an invitation letter from Azerbaijan to apply for a visa, I need full passport details to request the invitation letter.

Please note the information about passport photos.

Neil Brown
-10th February 2010, 23:46
Reminder. Fencers hoping to go to Baku need to act now.

coach carson
-12th February 2010, 21:14
http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gmg/op/sYT-MJPPpA850XkxrBkdEvQ/view.m?id=321402&tid=120787&chk_pics=t,1;n,2&cat=Search

Neil Brown
-17th February 2010, 21:46
British Cadet and Junior team for World Championships, Baku 2010

Cadets

Foil

Leah King
Ruth Clarke
Ife Kubler
Reserve: Phoebe Sudderick

Alex Tofalides
Kristjan Archer
Amol Rattan
Reserve: Alex Savin

Epee

Caitlin Chang
Amy Radford
Toni Denham
Reserve: Georgina Barrington

Philip Marsh
Jack Hudson
Sam Ridley-tbc 20.2.10
Reserve: James Frewin

Sabre

Verity Ridgeon
Alice Maidwell-Smith
Victoria Carson
Reserve: Libby Jones

Soji Aiyenuro
Harry Boteler
Henry Walker
Reserve: Chris Lawrence

Juniors

Foil
Marcus Mepstead
Jamie Fitzgerald
James Davis
Husayn Rosowsky (team event)

[WF tbc 20.2.10]

Epee

Caitlin Chang
Jenny McGeever
Sissi Albini
Corinna Lawrence (team event)

Jonathan May
Ben White
Gareth Thomas
Reserve: Greg Carty
Jack Hudson (team event)

Sabre

Jessica Davies

Maiyuran Ratneswaran

Team selection to be ratified by The Board on 20.2.10
Deadline for appeals is 22.2.10

Officials

Chef de Mission Neil Brown
Team Manager Linda Strachan
Assistant TM/Dr Charlotte Murphy
Coaches
Cadet foil Pierre Harper
Junior Foil Maciej Wojtkowiak
Men's Epee Peter Barrett
Women's Epee Sue Benney
Cadet Sabre Ian Williams

International Committee

Neil Brown
-17th February 2010, 21:54
The replies spreadsheet is also up at:-
http://sabrerankings.250x.com/baku10.htm

Fencers, please check to make sure I have the correct information for everything.

Mummy3
-17th February 2010, 23:52
I must stay I'm rather surprised that selection decisions have been communicated via the forum and not via email to the selected fencers!?

Foilling Around
-18th February 2010, 09:47
I must stay I'm rather surprised that selection decisions have been communicated via the forum and not via email to the selected fencers!?

I think that the majority of the fencers involved were aware that they either were or were very likely to be selected. I do take your point but I think that Neil is aware of how slowly the machinery moves and how close and expensive the trip will be.

Better to distribute via forum now and follow up by email than wait four or five days for the emails to ne sent out follwing the IC meeting this week.

Neil Brown
-18th February 2010, 20:06
Team list is now on the British Fencing web site at http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=1778

Neil Brown
-21st February 2010, 21:00
Congratulations to the 3 junior women's foil fencers who have now qualified at the final event in Zagreb.

Liz Ng, Catriona Sibert & Phillipa Mullins. Selection is subject to ratification by the International Committee & the British Fencing board.

Neil Brown
-24th February 2010, 00:07
Fencers, please read the latest version of the information document at http://sabrerankings.250x.com/bakuinfo10.pdf

Please note the British Fencing board are now discussing changes to the budget allocation for this trip, it's now likely that the funding going towards the fencers will be £19,000.

Some of this will be by application so please read the document carefully & do all it asks.

Please also note the change of hotels.

Neil Brown
-25th February 2010, 15:55
Please note the latest information on the info document & the replies spreadsheet. Note the flight details now up.

You can see a map showing the venue & the hotel at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101740413562329073801.000480392017a81365504&ll=40.403824,49.812355&spn=0.210197,0.445976&t=h&z=12

Neil Brown
-26th February 2010, 16:06
We now have most of the visa invitation letters. This means that you can now send your passport & the application forms to the British Fencing office. Obviously don't send your passport if you need it for other international trips, you need to allow at least a week.

Please make sure you read all the instructions carefully before you send your form. Contact me if any are not clear.

Tubby
-6th March 2010, 21:31
Please note the British Fencing board are now discussing changes to the budget allocation for this trip, it's now likely that the funding going towards the fencers will be £19,000.
This is very welcome, however having just shelled out over 800 quid on kit I feel sick when I see the level of sponsorship another team gets:

http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/22233/Final_Baku_Guide.pdf

LEON PAUL EQUIPMENT SPONSORSHIP
www.leonpaul.com
Dear US Team Member:
Congratulations on your appointment to the United States Fencing Team.
As the official uniform sponsor of the United States Fencing Association, we at Leon Paul are pleased to offer you a free FIE approved uniform, which we ask that you wear during competition at World Championships.
Additionally, we are offering you a 25% discount on all Leon Paul Fencing Equipment. Please note that the deadline to take advantage of the free uniform offer and discount is Friday March 26, 2010.

Please complete this questionnaire, so that we will have a record of your uniform size. If you have any questions, want to place an order or need any special assistance, please contact Bill Murphy at 404-325 7272 or email him at sales@leonpaulusa.com and he will be happy to help.
Sincerely,
Leon Paul USA

2010 JUNIOR/CADET WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM

LEON PAUL USA TEAM DEAL

The Team Deal is a very special equipment price which is open to athletes who have been named to the United States Fencing Team, including competing athletes and listed alternates. This offer is limited to one set per athlete and is not transferrable.
All order must be placed by March 26, 2010.

Leon Paul Stars & Stripes Wheel Bag Team Price $100 (retail value $264)

TEAM FOIL SET
· One 280CX FIE X-Change bib mask with conductive foil bib
· One F60LW foil lame’
· One 402 FIE light weight underarm protector
· Two pair of fencing socks
· Team Price: $150 (retail value $502)

TEAM EPEE SET
· One 280CX FIE X-Change bib mask
· Team Price: $90 (retail value $343)

TEAM SABRE SET
· One S11CX FIE X-Change bib sabre mask
· One S30LW light weight saber lame
Team Price: $195 (retail value $661)

TEAM SABRE SET #2
· One S285CX FIE X-Change bib saber visor mask
· One S30LW light weight saber lame
· One GS126 sabre glove
Team Price: $277 (retail value $963)

To order call (404) 325-7272 (Monday-Friday 10-6 EST) E: sales@leonpaulusa.com

Tubby
-7th March 2010, 09:35
5. Finance
Each individual athlete member of the US Junior and Cadet World Team will have the following expenses paid by the USFA:
• Individual and Team Entry Fees
• Roundtrip airfare to Baku, Azerbaijan (coordinated through the USFA office. The 4th on the Junior team who is not held over from the Cadet team will be responsible for their own airfare)
• Ground transportation – Between airport and hotel
• Accommodation based on triple and twin rooms
• Transportation to/from the competition venue
• Meals and/or Per Diem will be provided upon finalization of hotel booking
• Medex – Medical supplemental travel insurance (secondary insurance coverage)
• Apparel package – including, but not limited to:
o National team warm-ups (Only if you have not already received one)
o Adidas fencing shoes (Only if you have not already received a pair) (Sizes available up to size 12)
o World Championship t-shirts
o USFA pins

Athletes will be responsible for:
• Visa entry fee
• Spending money
• Meals not provided by the hotel
• Equipment and parts purchases
• Extra activities
• 4th athlete on the Junior Team not held over from the Cadet Team – To Be Determined by National Coach

PM1
-7th March 2010, 10:39
That is really quite stunning, both from the NGB and the kit manufacturer. I can't comment on the latter other than to suggest that it is a huge market to capture, but the NGB support is probably quite a way towards what I would ideally like us to be able to do. I have no idea where the ability to achieve that comes from other than from revenue generated throughout the year, be it from all members via subscriptions or comp entry fees, or whatever.

I have no idea how BF achieve the money going into the pot for our fencers, but do it they do, and that has to be welcomed (not suggesting that you don't, Andy). Not sure how much pre planning and budgetting there is for attendance, but there will be some.

What I can't get away from is that this is a very expensive trip, and that fencers/responsible adults didn't appear to be aware of the possible figures until selection. That could have been avoided and folks enabled to budget through a good part of the year by HQ pre planning. I think that might happen from here on in.

But any contribution gratefully received??

Foilling Around
-7th March 2010, 11:49
Two halves to this

NTH support has to be tailored to what we can afford. There is no such thing as a free lunch and someone has to pay. Also remember the serious financial prblems USFA were in a short while ago. Maybe they don't always get it right throwing money around. That having been said we have to make sure that we are investing in the future. It is all well and good having a well run and financed academy system and a pathway programme, but if the middle is missing then will still have the massive drop out in the cadet/junior transition.

Leon Paul subsidy to the US team is understandable from avusiness perspective in looking to penetrate a large and growing afluent Market. However I cannot see it as other than an own goal in the British domestic market. The Americans can get a wheelie bag for $99 and the GBR team have to pay £99 for a Great Britain, about a 33% discount, when many of those GBR fencers have been supporting and purchasing LP equipment for many years. The team foil package at $150 looks lovely and the 20% discount for the GB team looks pale in comparison.

As I said at the outset, I fully understand the commercial rationale behind this offer, and I assume it is not planned to be an annual recurring offer to the Americans. I also know that LP do pump a decent amount of money into British fencing each year both as a commercial decision and also because they are a fencing family. On the otherhand in the year when the British team are paying up to £1800 to go to the World Champs and the Americans are heavily subsidised it seems a little insensitive to make it even easier for the "yanks" to afford it.

Foilling Around
-7th March 2010, 14:12
Sorry for the spelling mistake, NTH should have read NGB!

Foilling Around
-7th March 2010, 19:07
Hmm, maybe we should not believe everything in the document Tubby has quoted from - they seem to think that the World Champs are 2/9 February 2010!!

Mummy3
-7th March 2010, 22:12
It's genuine alright - also linked from this page from the USFA website:

http://usfencing.org/pages/8717

So, I guess there'll be the US fencers, in brand new LP kit, while my son will most likely be fencing as he did on the finals piste in Athens in patched lame and fencing shoes held together with tape (Adistars bought from LP in December 2009, split in Athens March 2010 - terrible value for £175).

oiuyt
-8th March 2010, 06:46
Also remember the serious financial prblems USFA were in a short while ago.

Still are in, I think you mean.

-B

Danum
-8th March 2010, 15:33
[/QUOTE]
So, I guess there'll be the US fencers, in brand new LP kit, while my son will most likely be fencing as he did on the finals piste in Athens in patched lame and fencing shoes held together with tape (Adistars bought from LP in December 2009, split in Athens March 2010 - terrible value for £175).[/QUOTE]

But they are medal winning shoes aren't they???

thedoc
-8th March 2010, 19:57
If it makes you feel any better the average American parent will have been properly rinsed way before they get to World Championship level.

I saw a club that was charging upwards of $2000 per term for club membership and lessons for kids 10+. Their entry fees and travel costs also far exceed anything we have to deal with in England, so I wouldn't be too jealous.

Neil Brown
-9th March 2010, 21:01
Live results will probably be available during the event, info about British fencers will also be available at www.twitter.com/britishfencing. These can be set to send as text to a mobile.

Neil Brown
-11th March 2010, 00:02
I've just emailed all the fencers travelling to Baku.

I hear that the Azerbaijan embassy in London is closed 20-26 March... So this means the last day to get your passport & completed visa application form to the British Fencing office is the 15th March.

only-a-parent
-11th March 2010, 07:17
Hi, other fencers Dads. I'm Verity Ridgeon's Dad, going to Worlds. I'm not yet booked into the team hotel but expect to be. But it's costly, the whole trip I mean. So, I was just wondering if any other Dad has same aims as me, to travel, stayin team hotel ... and try to save a bit of money. If so, I'd would consider sharing a room .... would you? It would save each of use £hundreds. If not, no problem, I'll just pay up - worth it to see Verity fence. best regards, Nigel

Danum
-11th March 2010, 12:37
Hi, other fencers Dads. I'm Verity Ridgeon's Dad, going to Worlds. I'm not yet booked into the team hotel but expect to be. But it's costly, the whole trip I mean. So, I was just wondering if any other Dad has same aims as me, to travel, stayin team hotel ... and try to save a bit of money. If so, I'd would consider sharing a room .... would you? It would save each of use £hundreds. If not, no problem, I'll just pay up - worth it to see Verity fence. best regards, Nigel

He isn't just "only-a-parent" he's also very good at booking taxis when all other transport is on strike:)

CornishbyMarriage
-11th March 2010, 12:46
If it makes you feel any better the average American parent will have been properly rinsed way before they get to World Championship level.

I saw a club that was charging upwards of $2000 per term for club membership and lessons for kids 10+. Their entry fees and travel costs also far exceed anything we have to deal with in England, so I wouldn't be too jealous.

I can attest to the cost of fencing in the US. The amount we paid for one child to fence in the US is more than what it costs for our entire family to fence here.

Travel of under 6 hours for us was considered close, and we drove to the event. In the US, you can fence in more than one age group, so often, you had to be at the big comps for at least 2 days... sometimes 3 which adds to costs.

Mind you, living in Cornwall, anything south of Birmingham is close...

CornishbyMarriage
-11th March 2010, 12:51
Two halves to this

The Americans can get a wheelie bag for $99 and the GBR team have to pay £99 for a Great Britain, about a 33% discount,

Something else I know about...

Generally, the price of goods in the US is same in the UK, just exchange the $ for a pound sign. Not saying it is fair, that is just how it is.

That is except petrol... but I digress.

Ok, I'll go back to my hole now...

only-a-parent
-11th March 2010, 21:47
Hi. Most may already know, but in case not, I share this to note:
There will be no equipment sales stand at Baku Worlds, I have been informed,
reliably I think. No significant supplier will be present ... so take your spares!

Foilling Around
-11th March 2010, 22:58
Having exchanged a few emails, I gather that the offer to the USA team is entirely funded by Leon Paul's agent in the USA. I was quoted a percentage of total turnover which comes from the USA, but I will not post it in case it is commercailly sensitive. Surfice to say it is substantial and with fencers prepared to pay what has been quoted above, I can see that it is a potentially massive market.

LP have an uphill struggle in Europe with entrenched market loyalities in many countries. The Far East and the USA make much more sense to target, especially with LPs record of innovation, when most of the other companies seem very conservative in their offerings, (budget maraging blades, exchange masks and dual layer visors to name but a few)

I suppose that we also have to remember that to qualify for Baku the USA juniors will have had to make a number of expensive forays to Europe to compete on the European dominated JWC circuit. That will have been self funded and vastly over shadow the £300 at trip our juniors pay.

D'Artignan
-11th March 2010, 23:26
Excuse me Mr FA, but there was quite a good rant going on there until you brought a few facts into the open. Please stop - it spoils our fun :P

Foilling Around
-12th March 2010, 07:01
Excuse me Mr FA, but there was quite a good rant going on there until you brought a few facts into the open. Please stop - it spoils our fun :P

Oh believe me, as a parent who has had to shell out for 7 major World and European championships in the past 5 years, still irks me that our cousins from the other side of the pond are getting such a good deal, but this is why I would never make a good politician - I can see both sides of most arguments.

Neil Brown
-17th March 2010, 17:57
Latest information for fencers updated & emailed to the 32 fencers. Still need some information from a few & I've got 2 athlete agreement forms with no name & unreadable signatures.

Neil Brown
-21st March 2010, 22:25
Well done to all the fencers who made it to today's team preparation day.

Thanks to the team coaches & officials who gave up their time: Linda Strachan, Charlotte Murphy, Peter Barrett, Sue Benney, Pierre Harper, David Kirby, Ian Williams, Maciej Wojtwowiak.

Thanks to Nick Charles for his expertise.

Thanks to the other volunteers who helped make the day a worthwhile experience for the fencers.

Thanks to Leon Paul for the electric boxes.

Neil Brown
-21st March 2010, 22:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeSlrOVFldA

Neil Brown
-23rd March 2010, 22:06
For all fencers travelling to Baku, please make sure you take note of how much it will cost to use your mobile.

Information for Vodafone below.

Whilst you are in Azerbaijan you will have 2 networks to chose from Azercell or Bakcell, the call charges are the same for both and they are listed below. There is no GPRS or 3G coverage available.

Making a Call - 169ppm
Receiving a Call - 125ppm

Text - 35p plus standard rate.

Australian
-23rd March 2010, 22:33
I plan on buying a SIM card whilst out there

1cypriotfencer
-23rd March 2010, 22:41
hi can anyone help me find the entry list for this year's competition and the tableaux for last years world championships its seems its no longer on the fie website? thnx

coach carson
-25th March 2010, 08:56
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/travel/article-23818387-baku-to-the-future.do

Neil Brown
-27th March 2010, 00:16
The Bobby Winton Fund was set up recently in memory of Bobby’s many years’ work for British Fencing, and in particular his support of young fencers.

For 2010 it will offer grants to support fencers aged 12 to 18 years old who are attending summer training courses.

Details at:-
http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=1789

Neil Brown
-28th March 2010, 18:34
Final travel details now up for those travelling to Baku. Please read all the information carefully.

Best of luck to all the fencers.

Results will be online & on twitter.com/britishfencing

Foilling Around
-28th March 2010, 19:02
Before he flies out to Baku at 6 O'clock tomorrow morning, can I say a great big thank you to Neil for all of pre-event organisation. I am sure I speak for all of the fencers and the "deep pockets" (aka parents) in this.

He is natually learning more with each major championships he manages and our fencers have had the best management back up so far to take the stress out of making arrangement. (and I have been involved in 7 major champs as a parent over the past 5 years)

I am sure that he, Linda and Charlotte will look after them well in resort and they will be able to concentrate on acclimatising, training and fencing.

Good luck to all of the fencers.

Paul

Keith.A.Smith
-29th March 2010, 12:15
I am really pleased that parents and fencers are pleased with Neil's organisation. I know he has worked extremely hard on these championships as he does for each one. It is also nice to see someone being publicly thanked for doing a good job.

I now hope that our team produces the goods in Baku and we have great results to celebrate.

Good luck to everyone in gthe Great Britain delegation.

I fly out on Wednesday to Baku.

Keith

anothermum
-29th March 2010, 12:15
I would like to second Paul's vote of thanks to Neil. Brilliant job!!
Good luck to all the fencers.

Mother Hen
-29th March 2010, 14:06
And third. Thanks Neil. And all the best to our fencers going to the Worlds.

Neil Brown
-29th March 2010, 20:10
Thanks for all this.

No problems with the flights today, long day, got to Heathrow at 3 o'clock this morning, we're now 4 hours ahead.

We had a 45 minute transfer between flights in Vienna, all fencers & bags made it OK.

Australian
-29th March 2010, 22:01
I'm out there on the direct flight on Wednesday (assuming with DSS and Keith).

I'll be updating results with twitter as well assuming access.

Neil Brown
-30th March 2010, 15:02
The hotel

Neil Brown
-30th March 2010, 15:03
The view from the hotel

Mili907
-1st April 2010, 07:59
Hi, Any chance there will be live coverage of the events. Last year the live streaming link was-- http://www.247.tv/fencing.php.
Any information regarding live streaming for the events would be appreciated. I hope this as not been overlooked in the scheme of things.:dont:

Neil Brown
-1st April 2010, 13:50
2 more photos up at http://www.twitpic.com/photos/britishfencing

wix
-1st April 2010, 15:11
You can follow the action on Orphardt, using this link.
http://212.34.165.4:8080/WAFechten/index.jsp

Mili907
-1st April 2010, 15:40
You can follow the action on Orphardt, using this link.

Thanks, Wix. Disappointed with all the technology out, there's no live streaming available. :confused:

Peter Pan
-2nd April 2010, 10:53
Truro's Henry Walker through to L16 of CMS - brilliant!

Foilling Around
-2nd April 2010, 10:53
Can someone kick the organisers because the results website has not been updated since 8:30 this morning

Peter Pan
-2nd April 2010, 10:55
Truro's Henry Walker through to L16 of CMS - brilliant!

...and out 15-11 to No 2 seed Hubers

Foilling Around
-2nd April 2010, 11:04
Typical, just as i post the above the updating kicks in!

Well done Mr Walker

Mixed emotions for the WE - Caitlin must be gutted after such a great poule (the curse of the bye when the other fencer is warmed up?) and Amy must be on a high beating the 3rd seed to make the L16 - keep it going Amy

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 11:23
Hi Guys ,,

From where can i know the championship results ?

Peter Pan
-2nd April 2010, 11:53
Results here

JackSparrow
-2nd April 2010, 12:04
Amy through to the last 8!

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 12:25
Thanks

But the link is not working ,,

pinkelephant
-2nd April 2010, 12:35
Works for me.

another
-2nd April 2010, 12:39
Thanks

But the link is not working ,,

try this http://212.34.165.4:8080/WAFechten/fechten/frameset.jsp

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 12:50
aha

---

the same thing ,, it is not working ,, so the problem is with me

thanks all ,,

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 12:51
Please guys ,,

can i get the egyptian fencers results for today till now ,,

pinkelephant
-2nd April 2010, 12:59
The other 3 fights all have live scoring up, but not Amy's...

pinkelephant
-2nd April 2010, 13:01
For our Egyptian friend:

WE

51 MAHDY Aya (javascript: popupDetail('4470' , '9' , '117847') ;)
73 SOBEIH Noura (javascript: popupDetail('4470' , '9' , '118774') ;)

MS

67 AL SISI Zeyad (javascript: popupDetail('4475' , '9' , '117886') ;)

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 13:02
please guys ,,

can i get the egyptian fencers results for today till now ,,

please

pinkelephant
-2nd April 2010, 13:03
I just did!

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 13:03
For our Egyptian friend:

WE

51 MAHDY Aya (javascript: popupDetail('4470' , '9' , '117847') ;)
73 SOBEIH Noura (javascript: popupDetail('4470' , '9' , '118774') ;)

MS

67 AL SISI Zeyad (javascript: popupDetail('4475' , '9' , '117886') ;)

Thanks U very much my friend ,, did they play ?

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 13:04
I just did!

I just saw it :)

I'am sorry hh

Peter Pan
-2nd April 2010, 13:05
Mahdy lost 15 - 9 to Gudkova (RUS) in L64

pinkelephant
-2nd April 2010, 13:06
Out 15-9. Placings not up yet, but she'll be 8th.

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 13:06
Mahdy lost 15 - 9 to Gudkova (RUS) in L64

OMG

Thaaanks ,,

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 13:08
Out 15-9. Placings not up yet, but she'll be 8th.

So nice ,, do u know the qualification system for youth olympic games ?

Foilling Around
-2nd April 2010, 13:26
A great start to the Championships with a Last 8 and a Last 16. Let's hope it inspires the others to great things tomorrow. Commiserations to those did not achieve what they were hoping for.

Good luck to The CWF and CME tomorrow.

fencingmum
-2nd April 2010, 14:36
Well done so far and very good luck to those still to fence.

anothermum
-2nd April 2010, 15:33
Well done to everyone who fenced today.

For our Egyptian friend - this is what is on the Singapore 2010 website

Fencing
International Federation : Fédération Internationale d'Escrime (FIE)
Venue :
International Convention Centre
AGE GROUP
(dd/mm/yy): 1/1/93-31/12/94
QUALIFICATION SYSTEM
(Qualifying Events) : 2010 Cadet WC
Procedure : Best ranked fencers from each geographical zone at Cadet WC qualify, respecting the following distribution: Asia/Oceania - 2 per event, Europe - 4 per event, America - 2 per event, Africa - 1 per event.

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 15:51

Fencing
Venue :
AGE GROUP
QUALIFICATION SYSTEM
Procedure : Best ranked fencers from each geographical zone at Cadet WC qualify, respecting the following distribution: Asia/Oceania - 2 per event, Europe - 4 per event, America - 2 per event, Africa - 1 per event.

thaaaaanks my friend

the qualification way will help egypt

but my last question

is egypt the only country participating from Africa ?

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 15:54
Can U please give me all the results , because i will copy it to an arabian

forum : http://forum.kooora.com/f.aspx?mode=f&f=43

appreciate if you accept ,,

Red
-2nd April 2010, 16:02

Fencing
Venue :
AGE GROUP
QUALIFICATION SYSTEM

Looks like Amy's just missed out - 5th European.

wix
-2nd April 2010, 17:19
Can U please give me all the results , because i will copy it to an arabian

forum : http://forum.kooora.com/f.aspx?mode=f&f=43

appreciate if you accept ,,

OK, I've sent you a PM with them listed. Looks like Mahdy is top-ranked from African region.

-2nd April 2010, 17:58
I would like to know the epee men ( Cadet) poules urgently , please send them to me on marwan.shalaby@hotmail.com , because i really in need to know them :)

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 18:29
OK, I've sent you a PM with them listed. Looks like Mahdy is top-ranked from African region.

Thank you very much my friend ,,

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 18:33
I would like to know the epee men ( Cadet) poules urgently , please send them to me on marwan.shalaby@hotmail.com , because i really in need to know them :)

tam ya basha

Meg_SF
-2nd April 2010, 19:19
Congrats to the Epee girls! :-D

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 19:36
Congrats to the Epee girls! :-D

:D hhh

Neil Brown
-2nd April 2010, 20:20
Photo from today for those of you not following British Fencing on twitter. http://www.twitpic.com/1cobl0

TRB
-2nd April 2010, 22:08
No comment on BF's Twitter yesterday regarding people needing the same shoes in the teams as they now class them as part of the uniform *wink wink*

Ahly_Egypt_444
-2nd April 2010, 22:49
Bye ,, see u tomorrow in sha allah ,,

MatFink
-2nd April 2010, 23:21
Good Luck to the Men's Epee guys, well done to those who were successful today.

Gangsta G
-3rd April 2010, 08:29
Amy and Henry did very well. Two fantastic results. It was great to see.

Well done to Mr Baker who refereed a semi-final in the Women's Epee.

Ahly_Egypt_444
-3rd April 2010, 08:38
amazing ,,

Both mahdy and ziad yesterday qualified to singapore games ,,

NIIIIICE ,,

Ahly_Egypt_444
-3rd April 2010, 08:44
http://www.fie.ch/Competitions/FencerDetail.aspx?param=D88A1CA8D725F8172437EDFC02 0DAE57

Amy ,,

munkey
-3rd April 2010, 08:47
Cadet women's foil poules:

Ife Kubler 1 win from 6
Ruth Clarke 2/6
Leah King 4/6

Ife eliminated after poules.

Ruth loses to Hadju (HUN) 15-6 in the last 64.

Leah wins 15-14 against Sung (Aus) and faces Tulen (NED) in the 32.

Munkey

Ahly_Egypt_444
-3rd April 2010, 08:54
Cadet women's foil poules:

Ife Kubler 1 win from 6
Ruth Clarke 2/6
Leah King 4/6

Ife eliminated after poules.

Ruth loses to Hadju (HUN) 15-6 in the last 64.

Leah wins 15-14 against Sung (Aus) and faces Tulen (NED) in the 32.

Munkey

Please my friend ,, there is an egyptian player (menah)

did she play ?

and is there any other african players in womens foil ?

CornishbyMarriage
-3rd April 2010, 09:09
Please my friend ,, there is an egyptian player (menah)

did she play ?

and is there any other african players in womens foil ?

Menah Daw (won3 lost 2 in poule, ranked 33) went out in the round of 64 to Schmitz (GER) . As far as I could tell, she was the only African.

CornishbyMarriage
-3rd April 2010, 09:11
Leah King to the last 16 (15-10)! Go Leah!

Ahly_Egypt_444
-3rd April 2010, 09:14
Menah Daw (won3 lost 2 in poule, ranked 33) went out in the round of 64 to Schmitz (GER) . As far as I could tell, she was the only African.

Thank U very much my friend

amazing results for the egyptian players ,,

CornishbyMarriage
-3rd April 2010, 09:19
Not a problem.

munkey
-3rd April 2010, 09:44
Mena Daw (EGY) finishes 38th and is highest placed African fencer (there was also a Tunisian and a couple of South Africans, all elinminated after poules).

Hope that helps.

Munkey

Baldric
-3rd April 2010, 09:48
Leah King to the last 16 (15-10)! Go Leah!

Come on Leah! Kick ASS!

Ahly_Egypt_444
-3rd April 2010, 10:00
Mena Daw (EGY) finishes 38th and is highest placed African fencer (there was also a Tunisian and a couple of South Africans, all elinminated after poules).

Hope that helps.

Munkey

Excellent

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks very much

Red
-3rd April 2010, 10:30
In ME everyone through poules - Hudson and Marsh straight through to L64, Ridley had to get through a POR in the 128 (which he did).
Marsh out in 64 to a USA.
Ridley out in 64 to a RUS.
Hudson won in 64 against a JOR, has a DEN in the 32.

-3rd April 2010, 10:38
Hello , there are egyptian players called Omar Ihab and Saleh Magdy , what did they do in the competition ( Men , cadet) ??

pinkelephant
-3rd April 2010, 10:52
Leah out to SUN (CHN) 15-13 after being 9-4 up.

Still a great result for a 95 birthday - 2 more years in cadets.

pinkelephant
-3rd April 2010, 10:59
Hello , there are egyptian players called Omar Ihab and Saleh Magdy , what did they do in the competition ( Men , cadet) ??

Ihab placed 74 - won one fight in the pool and missed the cut.

Magdy also won one fight in the pools but got into the DE (last one to do so) and won his first fight (L128) against Aliyev (AZE) 15-9. He then lost his L64 fight 15-13 to Svichkar (UKR)

Shaka
-3rd April 2010, 10:59
Well done Leah, very encouraging result for a 1st time at a World Championship.

pinkelephant
-3rd April 2010, 11:06
Jack fences at 11:10 our time, and the "in progress" bit now seems to be working. Sometimes.

pinkelephant
-3rd April 2010, 11:10
Looks like they're a fight behind on Jack's piste.

pinkelephant
-3rd April 2010, 11:39
Jack lost 15-12

Ahly_Egypt_444
-3rd April 2010, 12:51
Ihab placed 74 - won one fight in the pool and missed the cut.

Magdy also won one fight in the pools but got into the DE (last one to do so) and won his first fight (L128) against Aliyev (AZE) 15-9. He then lost his L64 fight 15-13 to Svichkar (UKR)

Ok please , is he the best african fencer ?

wix
-3rd April 2010, 13:04
Yes, Magdy is the top-ranked African fencer.

Ahly_Egypt_444
-3rd April 2010, 13:12
Yes, Magdy is the top-ranked African fencer.

Niiiiice

Thanks Allah

Thank U my friend ,,

Baldric
-3rd April 2010, 14:24
Leah out to SUN (CHN) 15-13 after being 9-4 up.

Still a great result for a 95 birthday - 2 more years in cadets.

Excellent result. Well done Leah.

Ahly_Egypt_444
-3rd April 2010, 15:15
http://www.youtube.com/fievideo#p/a/u/1/_DgOXUTdCak

grizz
-3rd April 2010, 19:55
Well done Leah, what a fantastic result, you have done yourself, your family and your coach proud.

Jed

fa266
-3rd April 2010, 20:55
Good Luck Vicky Carson and the rest of the GB cadet sabre team tomorrow. Go get em!!!

coach carson
-4th April 2010, 10:59
I think the girls will be disappointed with their sabre results, but a good experience for them. Verity didn't make the cut. Alice and Vix out in 64.

pinkelephant
-4th April 2010, 11:07
Men's Foil

Kristjan Archer just missed the cut on one victory - placed 65th

Amol Rattan 3/5 in the pool. Won his L64 fight 15-14 but then went out 15-2 to Nista (ITA) in the L32

Alex Tofalides through the L64 15-5 and the L32 15-10. His reward is Massialas (USA) in the L16.

Neil Brown
-4th April 2010, 11:15
Reminder.

All the results are available at www.fencingworldwide.com & www.twitter.com/britishfencing

pinkelephant
-4th April 2010, 11:18
Ophardt's "in progress" system keeps breaking down though.

Ahly_Egypt_444
-4th April 2010, 12:19
Please guys ,, as usuall ,, egyptians result :)

and are they the best ranked african fencers ?

pinkelephant
-4th April 2010, 12:59
Alex went out 15-8 to Massialas, who still has another year left as a cadet.

pinkelephant
-4th April 2010, 13:10
Please guys ,, as usuall ,, egyptians result :)

and are they the best ranked african fencers ?

Women's sabre

23rd YASSER Mena Allah (javascript: popupDetail('4472' , '9' , '93366') ;) - best ranked African. She won 4/6 in her pool, and went out 15-13 to Ciardullo (ITA) in the L32

Men's foil

27th YASSER Mena Allah (javascript: popupDetail('4472' , '9' , '93366') ;) (best African). He won 3/5 in his pool, won his first DE 15-12 against Miyoshi (JAP) and lost 15-7 to Lee (KOR)

51st AHMED Marwan (javascript: popupDetail('4474' , '9' , '119784') ;) who won 2/5 in his pool, then lost his first DE 15-5 to Tofalides (GBR)

66th ESSAM Mohamed (javascript: popupDetail('4474' , '9' , '117885') ;) who is listed as eliminated in round 1, but the pool results displayed are obviously wrong, as it has him having won all his fights. Another Ophardt glitch.

Chip
-4th April 2010, 13:11
Well done Alex a valient effort against undoubtably the worlds No 1 Cadet.

Ahly_Egypt_444
-4th April 2010, 13:33
Women's sabre

23rd YASSER Mena Allah (javascript: popupDetail('4472' , '9' , '93366') ;) - best ranked African. She won 4/6 in her pool, and went out 15-13 to Ciardullo (ITA) in the L32

Men's foil

27th YASSER Mena Allah (javascript: popupDetail('4472' , '9' , '93366') ;) (best African). He won 3/5 in his pool, won his first DE 15-12 against Miyoshi (JAP) and lost 15-7 to Lee (KOR)

51st AHMED Marwan (javascript: popupDetail('4474' , '9' , '119784') ;) who won 2/5 in his pool, then lost his first DE 15-5 to Tofalides (GBR)

66th ESSAM Mohamed (javascript: popupDetail('4474' , '9' , '117885') ;) who is listed as eliminated in round 1, but the pool results displayed are obviously wrong, as it has him having won all his fights. Another Ophardt glitch.

Thank U very much

but i think you had a mistake

in the first egyptian participant in men's foil ,, i think u meant another name ,,

pinkelephant
-4th April 2010, 13:42
Sorry - should be ABD EL MAGED Mostafa (javascript: popupDetail('4474' , '9' , '54747') ;)

Ahly_Egypt_444
-4th April 2010, 13:44
Sorry - should be ABD EL MAGED Mostafa (javascript: popupDetail('4474' , '9' , '54747') ;)

ahaaaaa

thank u very much

great results

Congratulations EGYPT ,,

gunner
-4th April 2010, 16:24
Congratulations to Amol on making the L32!:):):D

Foilling Around
-5th April 2010, 09:19
Brilliant isn't it, the past few days the in proress part of the Ophardt website has been rubbish. Today it is the only part that is working. No poule sheets, no DEs no nothing. I hope they get it right before daughter fencers tomorrow.

pinkelephant
-5th April 2010, 10:09
And the "in progress" bit is only showing 7 out of 8 pistes, and it froze for the whole of Sissi's L64. I know Jenny went out in the L64 but not about the other two - I don't even know if Caitlin has fenced hers yet.

munkey
-5th April 2010, 10:29
According to Neil's Twitter feed, Sissi and Caitlin both won their L64 fights.

Munkey

pinkelephant
-5th April 2010, 10:38
Caitlin is on the piste now against Kirpu (EST) - or is due on. All scores on the coloured pistes are currently reading zero. Probably due to start at 10:40

pinkelephant
-5th April 2010, 10:43
Or 10:45. Or 10:50. Or it's frozen again.

pinkelephant
-5th April 2010, 10:53
Caitlin out 15-8 to Kirpu (EST)

pinkelephant
-5th April 2010, 10:56
The Japanese girl who beat Jenny has just beaten Kim (KOR) to go into the 16.

pinkelephant
-5th April 2010, 11:05
All poules and tableaux now up, but 3 fights on the live scoring seem to be frozen...

Sissi has Fiamingo (ITA) in about 15 min

pinkelephant
-5th April 2010, 11:23
Only one piste working again, and it isn't Sissi's.

pinkelephant
-5th April 2010, 11:39
Sissi out 15-5 according to the Twitter feed.

Foilling Around
-6th April 2010, 08:56
Junior WF

Catriona Sibert 3/5 out in L64
Philippa Mullins 2/5 out in L64
Liz Ng 2/5 through to L32 from 49th seed - well done Liz

Good luck in the next round.

Junior ME

Ben White - absolutely on fire 6/6 an looks like being top seed
Gareth Thomas - 4/6
Jonny May - 3/6

fencingmum
-6th April 2010, 08:58
Go, Liz!

Foilling Around
-6th April 2010, 09:45
Oh so close! Liz out 11:12 to a Chinese fencer.

fencingmum
-6th April 2010, 09:49
Oh, so tough! Hard luck.

pinkelephant
-6th April 2010, 11:03
Ben and Gareth both into the L32. Jonny out in the L128.

Ben's photo makes him look taller than a tall building. And he's wearing a jacket and tie.

Foilling Around
-6th April 2010, 11:46
I want to strangle the web people - I would rather have nothing than this poor service.

pinkelephant
-6th April 2010, 12:03
I want to strangle the web people - I would rather have nothing than this poor service.

It was bad at Heidenheim as well - I was watching a fight that was supposed to be Jimmy and his opponent, and thought he had won 15-13. It turned out that he lost 15-11 - it must have been a completely different fight going on with their pictures attached.

A lot of the problems are caused by referees/piste assistants who don't know how to use the equipment. But at Baku it seems they can only keep one bit of the programme live at a time - if one event's "in progress" is working, the other one is frozen.

Demonic
-6th April 2010, 12:18
looks like Ben White went out to Rosello in the L32 15-10 ... still 17th place is a great result,well done mate :)

Foilling Around
-6th April 2010, 12:19
From Twitter, because the website is cr*p!

Ben White out in L32 but Gareth Thomas beats #3 seed to make L16 - Neale must have a massive smile on his face!!

pinkelephant
-6th April 2010, 12:31
Website now working again - looks like Gareth gets Cupr (CZE) in the L16

Threestain
-6th April 2010, 13:27
Gareth sadly lost in 16 to Michal Cupra (CZE) 15-11. Looked very tight from the website - as in parity then 1 ahead etc.

pinkelephant
-6th April 2010, 13:27
Gareth out 15-11.

thedoc
-6th April 2010, 13:41
If the website is to be believed, Gareth had a 9-4 lead before the other guy worked him out. Mind you, he is the reigning European champion, so probably quite good.

Great effort from Gareth though. That's what coming to Haverstock does for you.

cesh_fencing
-6th April 2010, 15:51
If the website is to be believed, Gareth had a 9-4 lead before the other guy worked him out. Mind you, he is the reigning European champion, so probably quite good.

Great effort from Gareth though. That's what coming to Haverstock does for you.

I think any club trying to get political benefit fron Gareth's result is a bit strange (especially at he has fenced at LTFC and R&REC far more than Haverstock in recent years).

All the congratulations should be pointed towards Gareth and Neale who has been his Coach throughout his career. Well done to them both.

Jon Willis
-6th April 2010, 16:19
Pretty sure he did a night at Stockport last year too ;)

Good work big man, your result has made me feel fuzzy inside :)

thedoc
-6th April 2010, 17:01
I might just have been somewhat light-hearted in my comment you know.

He's just a very good fencer

pavski
-6th April 2010, 17:09
I'm sure he's passed Brixton on the train, only a couple of nights ago aswell........

He might have overflown Plumstead on the way to Baku even....

nice one the Thomas family!

MatFink
-6th April 2010, 17:24
Congratulations Gareth,

and congratulations Neale.

Good luck for the team event!!

hokers
-6th April 2010, 17:34
I think any club trying to get political benefit fron Gareth's result is a bit strange (especially at he has fenced at LTFC and R&REC far more than Haverstock in recent years).

All the congratulations should be pointed towards Gareth and Neale who has been his Coach throughout his career. Well done to them both.

Ah but his formative years were spent at Guildford :)

thedoc
-6th April 2010, 18:09
There you go, a winner has many parents...

I should have put a smiley in the first post.

MatFink
-6th April 2010, 18:14
According to the FIE website, Amy HAS qualified for Youth Olympic Games.

Exgeordielass
-6th April 2010, 18:49
Guildford sees far, far more of Neale than we do of Gareth - congratulations, Gareth, for a great result.

Tubby
-6th April 2010, 19:42

Congratulations to Amy Radford! :not_worth

Summer camp issue sorted!

http://www.fie.ch/download/homepage/fr/qualifications%20JOJ%202010.pdf

Hot Bot
-7th April 2010, 11:17
I think this is because, although she is the 5th European, there are 2 Italians, and each country can only send one in each weapon.
Congratulations radish! She was so happy after she got the 8 she was crying :)

Hot Bot
-7th April 2010, 11:24
MF: James Davis 3 up 2 down, out in 64 15-9 to Willette USA
Marcus Mepstead 5 up, 0 down, won 64 15-14 against Figueroa MEX , out in 32 15-6 to Kuts RUS
Jamie Fitzgerald 5 up, 1 down, won 64 15-6 against Kiil DEN , waiting to fence Prymack CAN

WS: Jess Davies 3 up 3 down, won 64 15-12 against Marton HUN (3rd in cadets), out in 32 15-10 to Guarneri ITA. Finishes 31st.

JackSparrow
-7th April 2010, 15:03
Something tells me Ahly_Egypt_444 is going to be happy.

elpis
-7th April 2010, 16:07
Ahly_Egypt_444

Congratulations!!! :cup::cup::cup:

Ahly_Egypt_444
-7th April 2010, 16:54
I know guys ,, 3la'a elsayed to the final :)

he was the champion last year ,,

and we ask allah he would take it this year also ,,

Ahly_Egypt_444
-7th April 2010, 17:12
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooldddddddddd dddddddd

Congratulationssssssssssss EGYPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Hassan
-7th April 2010, 17:37
From Fencing.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking news: After the gold medal bout Tommaso Lari was black carded by the referee for a litany of actions including throwing gear, cursing the referee and allegedly damaging the wireless device. All of this happened after the fencers had unhooked and was behind the scenes.

The men's foil medal ceremony was not held as the DT needs to make some decisions including:

Does the black card stand?
Do one of the bronze medalists move up to silver?
Does the 5th place finisher (Luperi) move up to bronze?

The decision will be made tomorrow morning.

pinkelephant
-7th April 2010, 18:48
If the fencers had unhooked and left the piste, then surely he can only be black carded as a person "not on the piste", in which case his result would stand, but he would serve an automatic 2 month suspension. As a matter of interest, was Cerioni his coach, and what was he doing at the time?

pinkelephant
-7th April 2010, 18:54
According to the American forum, the decision has already been taken - Meinhardt moves up to silver, and Luperi moves up to bronze.

munkey
-7th April 2010, 18:57
From Fencing.net

Breaking news: After the gold medal bout Tommaso Lari was black carded by the referee for a litany of actions including throwing gear, cursing the referee and allegedly damaging the wireless device. All of this happened after the fencers had unhooked and was behind the scenes.

The men's foil medal ceremony was not held as the DT needs to make some decisions including:

Does the black card stand?
Do one of the bronze medalists move up to silver?
Does the 5th place finisher (Luperi) move up to bronze?

The decision will be made tomorrow morning.

Wow! The overall ranking on the Ophardt site shows Lari placed 999, Meinhardt up to 2nd and Luperi 3rd.

What will happen with Italy in the team event? Seeding plummets, Lari excluded and only 3 fencers allowed or will they be allowed to replace him?

munkey
-7th April 2010, 19:00
As a matter of interest, was Cerioni his coach, and what was he doing at the time?

Speculative answers: Yes and joining in the mayhem.

JohnL
-7th April 2010, 19:05
Speculative answers: Yes and joining in the mayhem.

Knowing Cerioni, he was probably encouraging him.

:)

pinkelephant
-7th April 2010, 19:07
Of course, it could all have been an intra-Italian conspiracy to get Lari disqualified and elevate Luperi to a medal position. Just kidding, but stranger things have supposedly happened...

Rob.Leicester
-7th April 2010, 20:27
Just when I thought these championships would pass without incident...

Trust an Italian to step upto the plate and deliver the drama when it was most needed.

Spider5
-7th April 2010, 23:43
Of course, it could all have been an intra-Italian conspiracy to get Lari disqualified and elevate Luperi to a medal position. Just kidding, but stranger things have supposedly happened...

Water Bottle Gate?

D'Artignan
-8th April 2010, 00:17
Of course, it could all have been an intra-Italian conspiracy to get Lari disqualified and elevate Luperi to a medal position. Just kidding, but stranger things have supposedly happened...Obviously not an Olympics-related comment at all... ;)

pinkelephant
-8th April 2010, 08:53
According to Serge Timacheff on fencing.net, the black card was issued by DT, not by the referee, but it was for a litany of offenses whilst ON the piste. Which raises the question of what the referee was doing about it. I await the video with interest.

kd5mdk
-8th April 2010, 09:06
Perhaps those offenses won't be visible to mere video inspection.

pinkelephant
-8th April 2010, 09:35
Just watched it - nothing visible on camera. He did spend quite a bit of time out of shot while changing his body wire - he may have said something to the technician then which only got reported after the fight.

Foilling Around
-8th April 2010, 10:51
I agree, I saw nothing cardable on the video.

I saw rubbish choice of tactics against a fencer with reduced mobility; far too close and played right into the Egyptian's hands

Gav
-8th April 2010, 14:14
I really wish I had seen this. I'm going to sit down and watch this final - just to see why this kid threw his stuff about...

JulianRose
-8th April 2010, 14:21
Where have people managed to watch the fight? Is it online Nywhere?

Most likely me being a bit dim!

Helen Mulrine
-8th April 2010, 14:35
just read on the Italian federation, that Lari was disqualiied for his behaviour after the fight finished, it read, the D.T. took the decision because he went on a rant after the match point decision and damaged a signal box and behaved badly towards a technical wireless assistant in the preparation room. The non travelling reserved has been called out for the team event.

Helen Mulrine
-8th April 2010, 14:39
sorry it doesn't say signal box but signal equipment.

Gav
-8th April 2010, 14:42
Where have people managed to watch the fight? Is it online Nywhere?

Most likely me being a bit dim!

It certainly is. Check out FIEvideo on Youtube. It's all there.

elpis
-8th April 2010, 15:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Dj_PE7V1A

enjoy! :D

Highlander
-8th April 2010, 18:05
How can an FIE ref see the slow mo and give the hit to Sayed

The ref should be dismissed from the list.

not much point in having Video if this is the result

fencingmum
-8th April 2010, 18:51
Have watched the video and have to say, that while I in no way condone unsportsmanlike behaviour, you have to admit that you can understand why Lari might have been frustrated!

Red
-8th April 2010, 19:07

I don't understand what you're getting at. Assuming you're talking about the slow mo at around 34:17 then to me it looks like Lari does a massive beat, followed by El Sayed failing to parry followed by a second good parry at 34:25 (look at how Lari's blade moves - how can that not be parried?).

To me it looks like the video referral system has done it's job and overturned a bad decision, but what do I know...

munkey
-8th April 2010, 19:11

Are you talking about the last hit? If so, which bit of El Sayed's parry riposte don't you like?:confused:

Munkey

elpis
-8th April 2010, 19:11
I see parry-riposte by El Sayed. Not an expert, so.

pinkelephant
-8th April 2010, 19:14
I don't understand what you're getting at. Assuming you're talking about the slow mo at around 34:17 then to me it looks like Lari does a massive beat, followed by El Sayed failing to parry followed by a second good parry at 34:25 (look at how Lari's blade moves - how can that not be parried?).

To me it looks like the video referral system has done it's job and overturned a bad decision, but what do I know...

What do you know? Looks to me like your analysis is perfect. Two counter-quarte parries, the first of which is deceived and the second of which deflects the blade. Hence attack parried, riposte arrives. Lari's is the remise of the attack and is out of time.

pinkelephant
-8th April 2010, 19:15
Are you talking about the last hit? If so, which bit of El Sayed's parry riposte don't you like?:confused:

Munkey

Quite.

Spider5
-8th April 2010, 19:16
Couldn't see Sayed's point to get 11-9 up (29:50 onwards). The hit was given as an attack not parry-riposte but as far as I can see he didn't even start coming forwards until after he was hit with Lari's reprise.

Still, Lari lost loads of hits by choosing broken time attacks against a counter attacker. Pulled it back a bit near the end but too little too late.

pinkelephant
-8th April 2010, 19:17

Dismissed from the list on whose say-so? Yours? To paraphrase the immortal Mr Hunter - the FIE knows who the referee is - who the **** are you?

pinkelephant
-8th April 2010, 19:20
Have watched the video and have to say, that while I in no way condone unsportsmanlike behaviour, you have to admit that you can understand why Lari might have been frustrated!

Why?

Highlander
-8th April 2010, 19:20
Looks to me:

the final action is a very quick
parry riposte from Lari

but what do I know

fencingmum
-8th April 2010, 19:35
I'm not commenting on who should or should not have been awarded the actual points - I'll leave that to those more expert at deciding such things than "what do I know?" me.
What I meant was the human side of it: - a long delay for medical care; winning at first then a successful challenge to the president from the opponent and a point awarded to the other side; then losing about 3 points in a row and suddenly you're losing; several two light situations which all seem to go against you; finally you win back to 14 all and the last point has to go to video replay which you lose again.
Wouldn't you be frustrated?
BUT, as I said - no excuse for bad behaviour.

Red
-8th April 2010, 19:38
Looks to me:

the final action is a very quick
parry riposte from Lari

but what do I know

Try watching the slow mo again. I've watched it again and again and really can't see what you see. If you think Lari tried to parry it didn't do anything - El Sayed's blade doesn't get deflected at all during his riposte.
At full speed I can see why the referee gave it the way he first gave it, but with the video there's only one way that can go.

Red
-8th April 2010, 19:39
I'm not commenting on who should or should not have been awarded the actual points - I'll leave that to those more expert at deciding such things than "what do I know?" me.
What I meant was the human side of it: - a long delay for medical care; winning at first then a successful challenge to the president from the opponent and a point awarded to the other side; then losing about 3 points in a row and suddenly you're losing; several two light situations which all seem to go against you; finally you win back to 14 all and the last point has to go to video replay which you lose again.
Wouldn't you be frustrated?
BUT, as I said - no excuse for bad behaviour.

Not quite - 14/13

And yes, most people would be very frustrated.

Highlander
-8th April 2010, 19:42
I'll have to take another look

by the way whow is the "d" who gave me neg rep again

World Cadet and Junior... -8th April 2010 07:15 PM Why? D

Why what!

Foilling Around
-8th April 2010, 20:15

Why what!

I agree, just 'cause you're wrong is no reason to give you negative rep!

I think that at full speed it looks like Lari's, but the slomo is clearly Sayed's

I also see fencingmum's point, I think there was a bit of gamesmanship with the injury. Making a meal of it and pretending to be worse than he actually was. I suspect Lari was also mad with the way he fenced. However that is no excuse for loutish behaviour

JohnL
-8th April 2010, 21:29
Hey, even I could see the parry riposte on the replay.

Lari has nothing to complain about.

Threestain
-8th April 2010, 21:55
I have to say that admittedly there was an injury but for foil there seemed to an awful lot of non-movement.

Highlander
-8th April 2010, 22:46
Can i just clarify

what parry do you (all the people who think I'm wrong) think sayed makes
on his final action?

checkmate91
-8th April 2010, 23:09

Why what!

D'you mean pinkelephant? Isn't that Mavis Thornton or do you have some other secret admirer?

Red
-8th April 2010, 23:10
Can i just clarify

what parry do you (all the people who think I'm wrong) think sayed makes
on his final action?

Counter-quarte (or circular- or contra- depending on what terminology you use) for both of his parries.

And just to make sure, we're agreed that El Sayed is on the left aren't we?

Gangsta G
-8th April 2010, 23:14
What do you know? Looks to me like your analysis is perfect.
Careful, you don't want to inflate his ego...

Red
-8th April 2010, 23:16
Careful, you don't want to inflate his ego...

There's no danger of that being a problem ;)

Foilling Around
-8th April 2010, 23:19
I have to say that admittedly there was an injury but for foil there seemed to an awful lot of non-movement.

For once I thought the JWF final was better than the JMF. Deriglasova is a class act.

pinkelephant
-8th April 2010, 23:58
Wasn't me. If I give rep I sign it.

Hot Bot
-9th April 2010, 01:01
I know guys ,, 3la'a elsayed to the final :)

he was the champion last year ,,

and we ask allah he would take it this year also ,,
Didn't Lari beat Jefferies in the final last year? Meaning Lari, reigning world champion, finished 999th in his attempt to defend his title, according to Ophardt... :whistle:

Also, the last hit was definitely El Sayed's, the only possible way it was Lari's was if he'd hit before the parry, which in foil, could still easily give two lights, which didn't happen, although Lari may have thought it did.

On a different note, what do people think of the FIE videos on youtube? I'm undecided. I like the fact there are lots of official videos on youtube, but there are several issues. In the foil final you couldn't see white lights on the scorecard at the bottom, meaning you couldn't tell if they hit off target, and in the sabre fights I have watched there were no lights on that at all, just a permanent blue and red one, making it very hard to tell who had hit.
The thing that most annoyed me though, was that often they would start the point filming the ref, so you miss the first half second of the point, which is quite important with sabre!

Hoboneer
-9th April 2010, 09:07
Thought the videos were great, the quality was good and I liked how they showed slow-mo replay during the minute breaks, but find it a bit weird that they show the 10mins of injury time (eg during the JMF and CMF finals) rather than cutting it out and going straight back to the fencing. But it was cool, hope they do it again.

mendacious dog
-9th April 2010, 10:26
I quite like the various FIE videos on youtube too - the only gripe I have got is that in a lot of cases the final score is included in the title! I want to be able to watch the fights without knowing who is going to win. Much more interesting. Bit of an anticlimax at 14-14 when you know who is going to score the last point in advance...

:dogs:

Woof

Foilling Around
-9th April 2010, 10:42
As no-one has posted it yet

MET - Beat Estonia in L32 then went out to Switzerland

WFT - Lost to China in L16

Why on earth don't they fence off for places in the worlds? It is crazy to have spent 3 extra days in Baku for 3 fights. At least a fence off means 3 team matches.
I know they hope to have more than one match, but inevitably a lot of teams willonly have one match.

Gav
-9th April 2010, 10:49
Thought the videos were great, the quality was good and I liked how they showed slow-mo replay during the minute breaks, but find it a bit weird that they show the 10mins of injury time (eg during the JMF and CMF finals) rather than cutting it out and going straight back to the fencing. But it was cool, hope they do it again.

These are taken from the professional streams. That means that there's some commentary over the top. I assume that the FIE has had this commentary removed - for whatever reason.

I quite like the various FIE videos on youtube too - the only gripe I have got is that in a lot of cases the final score is included in the title! I want to be able to watch the fights without knowing who is going to win. Much more interesting. Bit of an anticlimax at 14-14 when you know who is going to score the last point in advance...

:dogs:

Woof

What I find irritating is that there's no easy classification. To me this makes the sheer amount of videos bewildering. If I am on the FIE video list I'd like to be able to break down to just Mens Epee (for example) and then just browse the available vids. As it is when you start doing that Youtube starts taking you elsewhere on the site - so you end up seeing all the junk people have uploaded over time.

pigeonmeister
-9th April 2010, 19:24
Lari has nothing to complain about regarding the referees decisions, but despite the drama I didn't think it was a great final. El Sayed's semi final with Willette was much, much better.

I saw that our very own Keith Smith was the observer for the final- so he might have some gossip on the black card incident...

pinkelephant
-10th April 2010, 08:06
For a perfect example of the importance of team order, look at the Tunisia/Russia WS team match in the last 8:

http://212.34.165.4:8080/WAFechten/fechten/kogefechtpopup_M.jsp?turniernr=1737&saison=9&tableau=H&gefecht=1

Foilling Around
-10th April 2010, 09:09
The website continues to be rubbish. I have just watched the Poles dump the Americans in the L16. only to find the teams were the qrong way round all the way through. Let's hope they get it right for the GBR match next on the same piste.

thedoc
-10th April 2010, 10:25
I suggest you check out the Tunisia-France match for an even more impressive comeback. Carrying the team you say?

Got to feel a bit bad for the South African Men's Foil team. It is a long way to go for a canning. A couple of the SA fencers in the individual managed to get a grand total of 0 hits in the poules too. That is a harsh lesson.

And no-one has mentioned that Olga Kharlan's win was her FOURTH Junior World Individual Gold. Can't see anyone doing better than that.

JackSparrow
-10th April 2010, 11:58
Can't help but feel for the men's foil team, coming up against the Italians in their second round match. Lari's black card inducing antics in the individual making them seeded 11th. Think we might well have done better against the no.10 seeds Belarus.

cesh_fencing
-10th April 2010, 13:04
Can't help but feel for the men's foil team, coming up against the Italians in their second round match. Lari's black card inducing antics in the individual making them seeded 11th. Think we might well have done better against the no.10 seeds Belarus.

But the GBR/Italian match was a last 8 fight and Belarus went out in the last 16! Probably feel more sorry for Canada who hit Italy in the 16.

If the Italians had not had the Lari issue they would have been higher seeds so speculation is fairly pointless as all the seeding positions would have altered.

I suspect the GBR boys would have hoped to get far closer, or even beaten the Italians, however it was obviously not their day; however 5th is still a pretty solid result and all our other weapons would have loved to make the last 8.

Foilling Around
-10th April 2010, 14:16
The exclusion of the silver medallist from any other nation apart from Italy would have severly weakened them and justified a lower seeding. Problem is that the Italians are so strong in depth that they are still more than competitive and the losers were indeed Canada and GBR. Though Canada are rely very heavily on Prymack.

Red
-11th April 2010, 22:59
And no-one has mentioned that Olga Kharlan's win was her FOURTH Junior World Individual Gold. Can't see anyone doing better than that.

In a row.
After winning bronze in her first go and then missing a year.

Mr long sword
-12th April 2010, 09:42
In a row.
After winning bronze in her first go and then missing a year.

And 15-2..That takes the p**s..!

Gav
-12th April 2010, 11:44
Does anyone have any comments on our junior MF team being badly thrashed by the Italians?

It seems that our big successes are currently coming from the Senior MF team (and members); are there any conclusions to be drawn from this result or was it just a bad day in the office?

pigeonmeister
-12th April 2010, 13:11
Er, the Italians are a bit good...particularly at foil? There are three Italians in top 6 in the world U20s (not including the black-carded Lari). Our best result in the individual was 17- which is also where our best fencer is ranked in the world.

So it would have been a huge upset if we had won.

And it was a convincing loss rather than a thrashing- we did better, for example, than the Germans did against the Americans.

We might have hoped for another 10 or 12 hits but not that surprising that nobody has decided to comment on that here.

I actually think it was a pretty decent result.

Gangsta G
-12th April 2010, 14:36
Looks to me like they were pretty unfortunate to meet Italy in the L8. For obvious reasons their seeding did not reflect their ability.

Hot Bot
-12th April 2010, 16:37
Does anyone have any comments on our junior MF team being badly thrashed by the Italians?

It seems that our big successes are currently coming from the Senior MF team (and members); are there any conclusions to be drawn from this result or was it just a bad day in the office?
Also, our Cadet MF team didn't do too badly in Athens, so I'd hardly say our big successes are only from the Senior MF team. Especially as they beat Italy that day (admittedly an Italy without Luperi and Nista).

Highlander
-14th April 2010, 08:58

after seeing point on a PC instead of a Iphone

and playing it back many times and as much as i try

I can't see a clear beat from Lari

So my conclusion is:

When asking for peoples jobs for making mistakes, make sure you are right yourself in what you are saying.

sorry for being over aggresive whith my first post.

good to be able to see some good fencing though

pigeonmeister
-14th April 2010, 11:52
I'm actually now less sure one of the other calls- this one at the 30:00 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Dj_PE7V1A&feature=player_embedded

This has been discussed on f-net and opinions were divided- though all seem to agree that at full speed it looks very clearly like Lari attack no, Sayed attack touche (which is how it was eventually given).

However, looking at the slow-mo it looks more like Lari began his reprise before Sayed initiated his attack. Very tough call though.

A Mr Bonehead on f-net has broken down the video into stills

Australian
-14th April 2010, 12:24
30:00 was always a tight call and toes the line on attack 'no' attack 'touche' vs attack no reprise d'attack 'touche'.

However the final hit is very clear beat attack then parry riposte.

Red
-14th April 2010, 12:38
I'm actually now less sure one of the other calls- this one at the 30:00 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Dj_PE7V1A&feature=player_embedded

This has been discussed on f-net and opinions were divided- though all seem to agree that at full speed it looks very clearly like Lari attack no, Sayed attack touche (which is how it was eventually given).

However, looking at the slow-mo it looks more like Lari began his reprise before Sayed initiated his attack. Very tough call though.

A Mr Bonehead on f-net has broken down the video into stills

I think that's one of those situations where the slow mo doesn't help. I think the general idea is that the feel for this kind of action at full speed is more important.
If this is nonsense can someone that uses the video more often than I do correct me.

pigeonmeister
-14th April 2010, 12:39
Yes, my understanding is that this is the current interpretation. I'm torn on it- on the one hand Sayed did the correct thing to pull Lari out of distance, on other ROW more about hand movement and not just footwork. My view is that Lari renews his attack before Sayed initiates his.

But had I not seen the slow-mo I would have given it to Sayed every time.

Agree 100% on the final hit.

pigeonmeister
-14th April 2010, 12:44
I think that's one of those situations where the slow mo doesn't help. I think the general idea is that the feel for this kind of action at full speed is more important.

I suspect you may be right. But getting to a position where we award hits because we think the fencer is doing the correction action seems to be a dangerous road to placing moral judgements above technical ones!

Keith.A.Smith
-14th April 2010, 18:12
Dear All,

The DT gave Lari the Black Card not the referee. I was not exactly the observer in the final as posted, but the fie refereeing commission delegate on the video.

I was pleased with Amy Radford qualifying for the Youth Olympics, Leah King, Alex Tofalides and Henry Walker all making the top 16 in their respective cadet events and to Gareth Thomas for making the top 16 in the Men's Junior Epee. Our MF team coming 5th was a good result but I and they hoped the match with Italy would have been closer but Italy has enormous strength in depth and real talent.

Keith

Rudd
-16th April 2010, 14:40
I suspect you may be right. But getting to a position where we award hits because we think the fencer is doing the correction action seems to be a dangerous road to placing moral judgements above technical ones!
Totally agree and it does little to support objective refereeing.