PDA

View Full Version : Help! Tips glued on!

plewis66
-8th January 2004, 20:50
Darn it.

I've managed to get superglue into the point of my luverly new epee blade, and try as I might, I just cannot get it off.

Any ideas anyone?

plewis66
-8th January 2004, 20:53
I just thought s*d it, and twisted as hard as I could, without worrying about twisting the blade. And off it came!

Rdb811
-8th January 2004, 23:15
Only another four foul-ups to make.

devalleassoc
-9th January 2004, 02:26
:mexwave: :mexwave:

neevel
-9th January 2004, 04:56
Heh- I seem to recall doing that when I first started using Zap CA (any armorer who will not admit to having done this at least once with cyanos is lying :)). The trick is, once the blade is bent in a jig and glued, to allow it to dry inverted (i.e., with the groove down and the blade bowed upwards). That way, any excess glue will collect at the center of the blade, instead of getting into the point or glueing the wire to the tang.

You can purchase 'super-glue remover', which is a sort of gelled acetone you can spread on items you didn't intend to glue (tangs, fingers, cats,...). Otherwise, it's yet another reason to make up an acetone bath if you're going to be wiring a lot of blades.

-Dave

plewis66
-9th January 2004, 10:52
Four more?

Are there five specific things I should look out for?

When I saw a wire being glued at the club, the guy just whized the blade glue along, and hey presto. When I tried the same thing, the darned stuff went everywhere (I really did have to make sure the cat was safe!). I realised afterwards that the guy at the club has probably been doing it for twenty odd years.

My second attempt was much more controlled.

Whats this about a jig? I've got a curve on the blade by threading a piece of string through the screw holes on the barrel, and tying the other end round the tang.

Rdb811
-9th January 2004, 19:10
Originally posted by plewis66
Four more?

Are there five specific things I should look out for?

At least. :)

Leon Paul blade wires are wider than Allstars and have different size sheaths.

Not getting the wire trapped by the grip. (Tip - cut a hole in the pad so it's not crushed by the grip but can move up and down the grip.

(I'll think of some more later)

neevel
-9th January 2004, 21:23

Whats this about a jig? I've got a curve on the blade by threading a piece of string through the screw holes on the barrel, and tying the other end round the tang.

Yep, that'll count as a jig- anything that you use to hold the blade bent. I use jigs made from a couple of small copper pipe caps attached to the ends of a lightweight chain, with an extra link formed into a hook that can be used to adjust the effective length.

-Dave

plewis66
-11th January 2004, 11:00
That sounds like a much better jig! I was a little nervous with mine. There's an awful lot of energy stored in a curved piece of spring steel. I was very conscious of not getting my face in line with either end of it!

plewis66
-12th January 2004, 12:15
Originally posted by Rdb811
At least. :)

Leon Paul blade wires are wider than Allstars and have different size sheaths.

Not getting the wire trapped by the grip. (Tip - cut a hole in the pad so it's not crushed by the grip but can move up and down the grip.

(I'll think of some more later)

How d'you mean 'up and down the grip'? I've got the wire coming through the hole in the socket bracket (if you follow). Then I put the pad on and the handle after that...I'm guesing I've got the wire trapped. I noticed a groove in the upper side of the end of the grip, and wondered what the point was, with the pad being there anyway...

neevel
-12th January 2004, 18:36
He meant that you'd be able to slide the pad up the front part of the grip, so you can easily see if the wire beneath it is safely in the notch before tightening the grip down.

-Dave

Rdb811
-12th January 2004, 22:48
...I'm guesing I've got the wire trapped. I noticed a groove in the upper side of the end of the grip, and wondered what the point was,

:grin: It is indeed for the wire to come out of.