PDA

View Full Version : After two hours I'm addicted.....

ChiefyMacT
-10th January 2004, 08:07
Well on Thursday night I went to fencing for the first time ever, at the moment I'm kind of like an excited puppy on a highly polished floor :grin: but two hours was all it took, I'm addicted.

To be fair though it's not my only weapon based hobby, for those of you who know what LARPing is, that's what I do. For those of you who don't, the best description I ever heard of it was cross country pantomime :grin: . Basically it is Live Action Role Play, so instead of character sheets and dice in a nice warm pub it's latex swords and kilts in a muddy puddle.

That was the other hobby I did for a couple of minutes and thought "I'm addicted!", that was twelve years ago I started that and for all of those twelve years the watchwords have been, "Don't thrust with your weapon, whatever you do don't thrust!".

The advanced partner I was given to practice on the first night must of thought I was a right wuss as I didn't I hesitated every time before a lunge, just about the length of time it takes for the alarm bells to stop ringing in my head. Anyway CJ was great (my advanced partner) and so was Mike Dennis (my instructor) and as I said, I'm addicted.

So straight off I'd like to buy some kit for it and need to work out a weekend I can get down to London to have a look at the shop, mainly because I am a little portly and.. ahem... the large size seems to be smaller than when I was 21 :o .

I'll stop rambling now and go and start on the old posts, though if anyone has ANY advice at all, I'll take it.

kind regards

Mat Dennis
Chiefy MacTw@em

The Little Un
-10th January 2004, 09:58
Hi Mac,
I know what you mean about getting excited. Mind you not many people will beat my record of having my first Epee lesson on the Wednesday and fighting in the Busa Nationals on the Saturday, which inlcuded taking four points of of Megan Schofield, the Goddess of Nottingham.

The BUSA National was only my second Foil competition and I was the only one to take a point of of Kate Gardner in the Poules, she is currently ranked seventh in the Senior Rankings.

As far as kit goes, I would suggest that you talk to people before you buy anything. Look up the British Fencing web site and look at the shops there before actually going to one.

Best wishes,
Judy

hokers
-10th January 2004, 15:35
Originally posted by The Little Un
which inlcuded taking four points of of Megan Schofield, the Goddess of Nottingham.

Nooooo!! Her ego's bad enough as it is without that as well!! :tongue:

I think the LRP idea of not lunging is because you can score multiple hits with a flurry of blows in some rule systems, but its one at a time in fencing, so lunging/thrusting is fine. We thrust at sabre too, point hits are pretty common (my "sneaky point attack" being a good example)

As I say to all beginners, dont worry about winning fights for the first 3 months or so, just build up your fundamentals, footwork, distance, point control. Practice footwork in front of a mirror if you can find one, seriously footwork makes ALL the difference.

Leon Paul have a pretty good deal on a starter kit, make sure you get a plastron wherever you go.

Good luck.
hokers

Dave Hillier
-10th January 2004, 15:46
No thrusting in LRP is for safety reasons. The weapons are mostly a fibre glass core (which doesn't bend much) surrounded by foam. If you thrust then the core will go through the tip of the weapon which is likely to cause injury.

Oh, and welcome to fencing Chiefy there are plenty of other larping fencers and fencing larpers out there.

Dave

(an exlarper)

Exgeordielass
-10th January 2004, 18:24
Originally posted by hokers
Nooooo!! Her ego's bad enough as it is without that as well!! :tongue:

As I say to all beginners, dont worry about winning fights for the first 3 months or so, just build up your fundamentals, footwork, distance, point control. Practice footwork in front of a mirror if you can find one, seriously footwork makes ALL the difference.

Good luck.
hokers

Well, calling her Megan, will help:(

Mmm, have done footwork facing the mirror at the gym but you have to brave the strange looks you get.

Being larger than I was 20 years ago, I've had a lame on order for a couple of months, can't wait to try out with the electrics.