PDA

View Full Version : Possible Open Tournament

Robert
-11th January 2004, 17:51
There has been a limited discussion of setting up an open tournament in my area and I have managed to gather some details on what would be needed by scouring the web, but there are still a lot of points I would appreciate opinions, or answers on.

1. Who do you email to get an item onto the BFA calendar? And is there some sort of insurance/financial/paper work requirement to get an open recognised by the BFA?

2. I know referee's attend a number of opens in order to help out in the latter stages; is it usual to pay expenses and how much? If so, who should I contact?

3. Same as 2, but with regard to an armory?

Thanks,

Robert

Jambo
-11th January 2004, 20:47
Not the world's biggest expert on running an open, but from a fencers perspective...

- Try to avoid having it clash with anything big.
- Be organised, ie on time with things.
- A good venue with good lighting.
- Having plenty of good refs (fairly easy to attract with expenses +/- a bottle of wine) is very handy.
- A good saturday night out is always a draw too.

Advertise it well on here and it'll attract more people. Incidentally where is Wingerworth??

Rdb811
-11th January 2004, 23:11
The contacts are all on the forum Tech/ 3cardTrick, SteveJackson , respectively.

Since a number of northern events have disappeared, there should be demand.

plewis66
-12th January 2004, 07:49
Wingerford appears to be near Chesterfield, south of Sheffield.

Prometheus
-12th January 2004, 08:51
Wingerford appears to be near Chesterfield, south of Sheffield.

Wow, spooky, Wingerworth seems to be there too!! :rolleyes:

plewis66
-12th January 2004, 09:02
D'Oh!

Robert
-12th January 2004, 11:07
It probably won't be at Wingerworth (there has been talk but nothing firm yet), rather I am asking on behalf of another club, that is a little further north.

Robert

plewis66
-12th January 2004, 12:05
Tantalising

Prometheus
-12th January 2004, 12:21
Tantalising

For Derbyshire exceedingly tantalising. Is it going to be open air....on Mam Tor, perhaps?

I know, not a helpful comment.:transport

benjt
-12th January 2004, 17:32
Hey robert, you were right the discussion is better here than at fencing.net. Shall I talk to Adam Blight tomorrow about the open and see how he feels or have you already done so?

Ben, see you thursday:)

Robert
-12th January 2004, 20:51
Ben,

Haven't really floated it past anyone else yet, I was holding off until we had more definite information on venue etc, but certainly wouldn't do any harm to mention to mention it to Adam. Will take a look at some of the details on Thursday.

Plewis and Prometheus will just have to remain tantalised for the moment, until we have got something firmly sorted.

Robert

benjt
-13th January 2004, 00:47
on venue, not sure if i said already, but as I was talking to people at my hall and the recpetionists husband started talking to me about another place. Sounded absoultly massive, don't know about price. I'll try to find more details for this thus. Got to go my house mate thinks she has a rat up her chimmney. P.S. No pun intended ;)

plewis66
-13th January 2004, 08:04
Originally posted by Robert
Plewis and Prometheus will just have to remain tantalised for the moment, until we have got something firmly sorted.

Aw...go on.

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON!

Ahem.

Sorry.

I'll get mi coat.

Chris Morgan
-14th January 2004, 11:44
So Robert your trying to set up a new open, will it be in the east mids or south yorks?

:maul: :luke:

The Little Un
-14th January 2004, 11:46
Personally I am not worried what they call it, just waiting to find out when it is, what weapons are available and how much it will cost.

Best wishes,
Judy

foilerist
-1st February 2004, 21:41
any news on the possible open?

Aer
-11th February 2004, 09:48
Originally posted by foilerist
any news on the possible open?

Robert
-11th February 2004, 17:57
Originally posted by Aer

When there is I will post it. Please be patient.

Robert

uk_45
-11th February 2004, 21:13
If/when you do run it count me in!

Aer
-12th February 2004, 08:42
Originally posted by Robert
When there is I will post it. Please be patient.

Robert

fair do's...