PDA

View Full Version : Coach, club and volunteer conference 2010

Baldric
-11th February 2010, 10:39
Announcing the British Fencing/England Fencing Coach, Club and Volunteer Organiser Conference and Training Event, Loughborough University, Sunday 21st March 2010
Following the successful England Fencing conference held in March 2009, we are pleased to announce that the first of this year’s conferences for coaches, club organisers and other volunteers (eg referees, armourers, event organisers) will be held on Sunday 21 March 2010 at Loughborough University from 09:30 to 16:30.

You can download more details on the EF site here: http://www.englandfencing.org.uk/index.php

Last years was very well attended, and the feedback was fantastic. Book now because some of the courses have limited numbers!

Baldric
-5th March 2010, 07:20
Still a few places left on this conference.

Subjects include referee and armoury courses, Safeguarding, First Aid, practical workshops on coaching in all three weapons, club organisers forum, presentations on the coach ed system, fencing in schools and much more.

Perhaps most useful of all are the networking opportunities. There will be plenty of NGB officials there, ready to have their ears bent! :D

Book now! http://www.englandfencing.org.uk/attachments/242_3031_Coaching%20Conference%20Application%20for m%20v5.pdf

Ray

foilerist
-5th March 2010, 21:12
I'll be there, looking forward to it.

Cottontail
-6th March 2010, 11:16
I see from the bumf that coaches and others (?) will be eligible for a CPD certificate. I'm afraid I had to google this as I am but a poor outsider.

It is a pity about the conference charge. I presume this is down to venue costs. Added to the petrol costs, for me it would come to around £100. Other volunteers' conferences I know have just charged for lunch, encouraging participation of volunteers.

I can see a whole day's armoury, referee, first aid course and Practical Coaching "Streams" would give some value for money, although I paid a lot less for my 1 day first aid course (75% less), and my ISA (Independent Safeguarding Authority) course (all day) was free.

I'm appreciate that many will find this conference is just what they need (witness the participation numbers) and reports of last year's were favourable, but I (or my grass roots club) cannot justify this sort of cost.

It seems that only the wealthier among us can afford to be volunteers.

On a positive note, the conference shows a continuation of England Fencing's professional approach I am sure it will be well received by all participants.

foilerist
-6th March 2010, 13:57
I'm not wealthy but I hope that the benefits that I will get from the event will help my and my clubs future development, so have bit the bullet and paid for this myself. Losing a days work and family time along the way.
Investing in my future kind of thing, lets hope it works out.

Australian
-6th March 2010, 14:36
Who is running the refereeing course?

Baldric
-6th March 2010, 15:53
Who is running the refereeing course?

Duncan Rowlands is road testing the new EF course.