PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver 2010 Olympics

paulpeter
-24th February 2010, 08:39
Hello,

I hope they will open it to the public in Perisher this year, otherwise Thredbo is cool. I think everyone will be much more interested now after the Olympics.And no, no big air required Sastrugi, small nice jumps would be plenty.

funkygibbon
-1st March 2010, 16:04
From what I've seen, Vancouver has shown demonstrated 2 key things that hopefully London can learn from before 2012.

1) Mittens with the Canadian maple leaf flag on the palms. Genius idea. $10 each and everyone bought them. 50% of the proceeds went to funding athletes!!!! For London, can we do foam sabres/foils/epees with Union Jack colours on the guards maybe? (OK, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but we must be able to come up with something!)

2) Having a fantastic Olympic torch sculpture thing, great idea. Putting a huge chicken wire fence around it, bad idea.

Ignition
-6th March 2010, 13:56
I was in Toronto for 1.5 of the 2 weeks, and the Olympics was massively commercial. I couldn't believe how much they tried to sell stuff.

'Check out this Canadian athlete and her gold medal? Isn't it a great look? If you want that look you can get this quality Olympian-wear exclusively from Hudson Bay...'

Within 30 minutes of Alex Bilodeau winning his moguls gold:

'Presenting the Vancouver 2010 DVD and Blu Ray box set, this 5 disc set is available now in two easy payments of 29.99'.

It was pretty hardcore to the point of being annoying.

The mittens and the various items one could see having a bimble into the local department store or Walmart, the small purchases were a fantastic idea but they went massively OTT on the TV-based pimping of absolutely everything, from clothing to flat screen TVs. I really hope that we don't go overboard on that in London.

Certainly foam swords, etc, would be great :)

PM1
-6th March 2010, 15:04
I guess what s provided will be down to who holds the concessions.....