PDA

View Full Version : New jackets in vogue, plastrons are out ?

firebrand
-12th January 2004, 15:33
I just heard that plastrons are not in vogue and new resistant jackets are in. Is this true and are plastrons still acceptable? Who sells these new jackets?

firebrand

Barry Paul
-12th January 2004, 18:45
fencing specially aimed at activity Centres.

Appoximately 500,000 fencers try fencing every year at Activity centres. Kids go to these centre for a weekend or week and are offered activities including fencing. Fencing always comes out as one of the activities most prefered by the Kids. The problem that these centres have, is that they only have 45 minutr slots so the time taken to kit the kids up is short. As platrons are compulsary according to B.F.A. rules. Leon paul are offering dark blue or red Jackets of 350 newton strength with a built in plastron of an extra 350 Newton. Time to kit up is kept to a minium and the centres are complying to the B.F.A. rules.

Remember unless fencing non electric with these new Jackets or F.I.E. jackets plastrons should be worn at all times. Barry paul M.D. Leon Paul.

PM1
-12th January 2004, 21:34
...but can we BUY them - coloured jackets for non comps/training camps seem a mother's dream - I don't mind the boy smelling, but I DON'T want him looking dirty, now do I??...........:o :tongue:

symon
-13th January 2004, 13:38
hmmmm the possibilities are endless!!......... just the thought of bespoke tailored jackets :grin: oooh makes my credit card go all warm and snuggly

firebrand
-13th January 2004, 18:16
Angelo in Sydney sells 800 newton suits for international level competions. Something about Campelli.

firebrand

Moose
-14th January 2004, 00:22
Ewww at colours, white is the new black! :)

Insipiens
-14th January 2004, 12:31
Surely white is the old black when it comes to fencing gear?

Mantis
-14th January 2004, 13:19
Originally posted by PM1
...but can we BUY them - coloured jackets for non comps/training camps seem a mother's dream - I don't mind the boy smelling, but I DON'T want him looking dirty, now do I??...........:o :tongue:

You don't like dirty clothing but coloured is OK? Well, how about if the colouring is various shades of gray on the arm and collar, yellow under the armpits, ... (I'll stop before I put people off their food).

DrT
-14th January 2004, 14:18
yellow is certainly the new white as far as my fencing kit is concerned :o

PM1
-14th January 2004, 19:12
NONONO Mantis!!!!!!

Grey, indeed!!! - it's the yellow and black marks, and rust spots that get me, and the general all over mankiness - yeuk!!!

Give me navy blue any day - serviceable and never shows yer mucky neck marks, me mam would say.:( :dizzy:

pinkelephant
-15th January 2004, 08:37
Number one son has just purchased a new duvet cover - terracotta coloured so it won't show the pizza stains.

Moose
-15th January 2004, 13:21
Originally posted by PM1
NONONO Mantis!!!!!!

Grey, indeed!!! - it's the yellow and black marks, and rust spots that get me, and the general all over mankiness - yeuk!!!

What are your views on blood stains?

Cheetara
-15th January 2004, 13:28
Blood stains look really cool on gloves ;)

symon
-15th January 2004, 14:11
Originally posted by PM1

Give me navy blue any day - serviceable and never shows yer
mucky neck marks, me mam would say.:( :dizzy:

HHmmm!! duellist do 800n jackets and breeches with blue paneling

Moose
-15th January 2004, 14:19
Originally posted by Cheetara
Blood stains look really cool on gloves ;)

Lol that makes me shiver :grin:

uk_45
-15th January 2004, 15:06
Must mean i have the coolest kit ever then

Moose
-15th January 2004, 15:38
You still got those stripy arms?

uk_45
-15th January 2004, 16:06
You mean the blood marks yep Collect of 10 different people!!

Moose
-15th January 2004, 17:50
No, I meant the ones from where I hit you on the forearm a few times :grin:

uk_45
-15th January 2004, 21:21
Nope i aint!! Sorry And do i think some one is trying to get the No. 1 poster slot back here??

PM1
-15th January 2004, 21:48
What do I think of blood stains ?? - BATTLE SCARS, my dear.

Duelist 800 kit with blue panelling - but STILL too much white, and 350 is good enough for training/club.

I think Battling used to make dark blue/orange/yellow unisex jackets for the Centre Parc trade (colour depended on size), but wouldn't sell me one - they had them on display at BYC's a couple of years ago. Boy fancied a blue one, and his coach was threatenning him with having to wear an orange one if he didn't win - he won.

So Barry - what chance they being on sale?? Or in fact, did I see a mention of the same in the hard copy catalogue which I cannot now put my hand onto..........

Moose
-16th January 2004, 06:17
Originally posted by uk_45
Nope i aint!! Sorry And do i think some one is trying to get the No. 1 poster slot back here??

Who? Me? With MY reputation?

Rdb811
-16th January 2004, 09:09
Hardly a position nworth fighting for.:grin:

Moose
-16th January 2004, 13:59
Lol, depends how you look at it I suppose :)

Association Game at 20 Paces :grin:

uk_45
-16th January 2004, 15:12
Rdb how long where you on the game for tho

Barry Paul
-16th January 2004, 16:50
new jackets with built in plactron available in quantity shortly.

Blue or stretch 350competition jackets can be made depends on demand. Barry Paul

firebrand
-16th January 2004, 17:29
www.fencing.net has some posts on this worth a look.

firebrand

Rdb811
-16th January 2004, 17:33

:tongue: About the same length you were, perhaps ?

PM1
-16th January 2004, 19:50
.....and any chance of blue breeches, too???

uk_45
-16th January 2004, 21:02
Or all black (maybe with red go faster stripes)

Moose
-17th January 2004, 02:58

It had to happen I guess, work's been getting in the way of my mega posting, infact if you think that I hit 1000 on the 2nd of June, having joined on the 9th of May. Thats over 1,000 posts in a month, now we're 7 months on and I've only posted a further 800 posts. So I got a bit stagnant until Roger started gaining, and it was a slow steady catch up he did. I came on when I could and just kept my head above water, but then came on one day to find me 100 posts behind. *Sniff* I miss Hudson :(

Rdb811
-17th January 2004, 16:36
I must admit t I didn't think the target was achieveable until I caught up over the summer and then kept pace, with one charge to overtake over Christmas.

It has the same awful complusion as the top ten Missile command scores at college.

I'll stop bothering when I get to 2000.

I missed Hudon rather a lot during the Sussex Open.

uk_45
-17th January 2004, 16:51
Not many left now till the big 2000 is it!!!

Rdb811
-17th January 2004, 17:01
It's creeping up.

I suppose we had better return this thread back to it's origial topic - jackets in school colours wuld be interesting.

What about anti-bacterial impregnation to stop them ponging as much ?

uk_45
-17th January 2004, 17:05
Would be nice yeah any thing to stop the stink is good!!

Moose
-17th January 2004, 18:43
Originally posted by Rdb811
It's creeping up.

I suppose we had better return this thread back to it's origial topic - jackets in school colours wuld be interesting.

What about anti-bacterial impregnation to stop them ponging as much ?

Isn't talking about schools and impregnation in the same post a bit risque?

uk_45
-17th January 2004, 18:51
There all ways one isn't there!

Moose
-18th January 2004, 03:36
There all ways one isn't there!

Yup and it's usually me :grin:

oddball
-27th January 2004, 16:49
dunno if its legal, but whats wrong with painting your jacket with fabric dye.

:grin:

but then you might get the odd bod who paints innappropriate designs.......................

now that has some possibilities!!!!!!!!!
:cookie:

stevejackson
-27th January 2004, 19:40
Originally posted by oddball
dunno if its legal, but whats wrong with painting your jacket with fabric dye.

:

Only problem I can see provided you don't care about FIE clothing colour regs is the risk of damage to the fabric. Remember 800 Newton kit is kevlar reinforced and is sensitive to which washing product you use. Having seen the result of a sabre going through someone's glove at the Corble I don't want anyone to mess with safety related kit.

PM1
-27th January 2004, 19:54
...sensitive to which washing powder is used Steve???first I've heard - tell me more.....

Oh, and using fabric dye is a problem when it comes to fixing the colour..

Moose
-27th January 2004, 23:17
Originally posted by stevejackson
Only problem I can see provided you don't care about FIE clothing colour regs is the risk of damage to the fabric. Remember 800 Newton kit is kevlar reinforced and is sensitive to which washing product you use. Having seen the result of a sabre going through someone's glove at the Corble I don't want anyone to mess with safety related kit.

Kit hasn't been kevlar reinforced for ages, Kevlar has lots of problems with exposure to sunlight etc, the modern FIE equipment uses a different fabric last I heard.

Tubby
-28th January 2004, 16:31
Originally posted by PM1
using fabric dye is a problem when it comes to fixing the colour.. The brown LP gloves are good at dying your kit a nice shade of pink if washed together. Does it fix - yep, and thats the problem ya see...............

stevejackson
-28th January 2004, 20:25
Originally posted by PM1
...sensitive to which washing powder is used Steve???first I've heard - tell me more.....

Oh, and using fabric dye is a problem when it comes to fixing the colour..

PM!, I can't remember which brand was suitable but the problem was to do with bleaching components, temperature, abrasion within the fabric (no tumble drying), and the effect of direct sunlight.

Moose, last time I bought kit 2-3 years back I remember being warned about this by Joan Paul. There was a recent (last 2 years) article in "American fencer" on the washing of ballistic nylon kit written by someone from the Du Pont company as I recall. I interpreted ballistic nylon as Kevlar as the problems caused in washing were the same.

Can the manufacturers PLEASE comment. I don't want to spread duff information, but if I'm right we all need the reminder.

Prometheus
-28th January 2004, 20:31
9 out of 10 Jacksons prefer Daz!:tongue:

Steve, got spare barrels and epee sleeve....will travel, tomorrow :)

PM1
-28th January 2004, 20:34
heers, Steve. Having ruined at least one plastron and prematurley downsized a pair of breeches and a jacket in the tumble dryer early door, himself now either gets his uniform into the washing machine so ther is time to drip dry or he fences stinky and streaky. hence the rquest for info re blue jackets and breeches......

Insipiens
-29th January 2004, 08:52
I am washing my old Kevlar kit with your standard Ariel Colour (so no bleeching agents I suppose) and it does not seem to have discoloured or fallen apart. (Although not on the most vicious of wash cycles).

I seem to recall it being said that you should use non-bio washing powder as the enzymes liked Kevlar but maybe that is incorrect.

stevejackson
-29th January 2004, 19:19
Just found a label with my Leon Paul 800N jacket - Must have a clear out sometime - recomends using Dreft or Whisk (mild soap without bleach) - advice not dated. Also not to tumble dry above 60deg C.

Rdb811
-29th January 2004, 23:18
Somebody i know used to complain that these old jackets interacted with his sweat to make him pong something rotten.

Aoife
-31st January 2004, 17:46
Sorry, but the idea of school colours for kits is scary for me... I somehow think five years of uniform has made me mildly allergic to bottle green!

gbm
-21st August 2004, 09:32
Originally posted by Rdb811
I must admit t I didn't think the target was achieveable until I caught up over the summer and then kept pace, with one charge to overtake over Christmas.

It has the same awful complusion as the top ten Missile command scores at college.

I'll stop bothering when I get to 2000.

I missed Hudon rather a lot during the Sussex Open.

I've just found this, and somehow I don't think you stopped at 2000...